Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I'm struggling right now between what to put first in my CAO. It's either maths science or maths and physics both at UL. The problem I have is I really love computers and would do well in the modules in the maths science course. At the same time though physics keeps calling me.

I've talked to my careers teacher and he wants me to do engineering though since apparently there are more jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm struggling right now between what to put first in my CAO. It's either maths science or maths and physics both at UL. The problem I have is I really love computers and would do well in the modules in the maths science course. At the same time though physics keeps calling me.

I've talked to my careers teacher and he wants me to do engineering though since apparently there are more jobs.

There's a programming module for the first semester in Maths and Physics for first year, but that's it.

As for your teacher wanting you to do Engineering because you will make more money, that's sadly true. Engineers will always make more than a Physicist. I considered Engineering too but my passion for Physics made me pick that instead (and I'm glad I did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Troxck wrote: »
    There's a programming module for the first semester in Maths and Physics for first year, but that's it.

As for your teacher wanting you to do Engineering because you will make more money, that's sadly true. Engineers will always make more than a Physicist. I considered Engineering too but my passion for Physics made me pick that instead (and I'm glad I did).

Certain engineers would work with physics though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Certain engineers would work with physics though?

Yes but there's a big difference between an Engineer and a Physicist, just like how there's a big difference in their Undergrad degree. Saying that, my Physics degree is much more Industry based than a say PASS degree or TP, so it's closer to Engineering in that way.

My friend doing Engineering said they use Physics in a different way e.g Mechanics whereas I study the Measurement and Properties of Matters sort of thing.

Look at it like this...

Physicists are generally paid to discover, document, or explain new physical phenomena. Engineers are generally paid to design marketable products which make use of such phenomena.

However, what we learn is interdisciplinary and many people who do a course like mine essentially end up as Engineers who are less paid (since we wouldn't be accredited). I just learn more in depth stuff than an Engineer. They do Mechanics, I do Quantum Mechanics. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Lads can any of you help me with my maths? It's about derivatives our teachers gave us this question and told us that for ii) we had to try and find the minimum surface area of the metal. I think this maths is impossible and I have no idea how to get the answers that are in the back of the book!:confused:

A cylindrical can is manufactured to hole 1 litre of oil
    i) Find the height of the can in terms of the radius, r.
    ii) Find the dimensions that will minimise the cost of the metal used to manufacture the can.

The answer for i) is h= (1000) r^-2
    pi
    and ii) r= (500)^ 1/3 and h= 2(500)^1/3
    pi pi

• Advertisement

pi is supposed to go under the numbers underlined

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lads can any of you help me with my maths? It's about derivatives our teachers gave us this question and told us that for ii) we had to try and find the minimum surface area of the metal. I think this maths is impossible and I have no idea how to get the answers that are in the back of the book!:confused:

A cylindrical can is manufactured to hole 1 litre of oil
    i) Find the height of the can in terms of the radius, r.
    ii) Find the dimensions that will minimise the cost of the metal used to manufacture the can.

The answer for i) is h= (1000) r^-2
    pi
    and ii) r= (500)^ 1/3 and h= 2(500)^1/3
    pi pi

Have you formulated an equation for the surface area?

is it 2pirh + 2pir^2?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

is it 2pirh + 2pir^2?

S = 2pirh + 2pir^2, yes.

You're only taught to do calculus of one variable in the Leaving Cert but that equation has two variables (r and h). The point of the first part was that you could express that equation only in terms of r.

The quadratic equation for the surface area has a positive coefficient of r^2 which indicates that it looks like the one on the left and not the right in this image i.e. it has a minimum.

Let the first derivative equal to 0 to find the minimum of the curve. You'll get a value for r. That will be one of your dimensions. Then find h.

Peregrine wrote: »
    S = 2pirh + 2pir^2, yes.

You're only taught to do calculus of one variable in the Leaving Cert but that equation has two variables (r and h). The point of the first part was that you could express that equation only in terms of r.

The quadratic equation for the surface area has a positive coefficient of r^2 which indicates that it looks like the one on the left and not the right in this image i.e. it has a minimum.

Let the first derivative equal to 0 to find the minimum of the curve. You'll get a value for r. That will be one of your dimensions. Then find h.

Ahh! Thank you so much I get it now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Anyone else a little worried that their class is way too far behind in the syllabus..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

lumosteph wrote: »
    Anyone else a little worried that their class is way too far behind in the syllabus..

Ya maths, have so much to get through. Falling behind compared with the other 3 classes.

Had the maths xmas test today, totally screwed it up.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toppy01

When do everyone's mocks start? Mine start on the 1st of Febuary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Think they are around the last week of February going in to march

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Mine are from the 1st February and I'll finish on the 9th

Happy new year everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

So how is everybody doing this new year. Mocks arent too far away >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Consonata wrote: »
    So how is everybody doing this new year. Mocks arent too far away >.<

I went to the Institute this week for the Christmas grinds and im absolutely wrecked. Haven't done much study this week or even my homework :rolleyes:

Wby? How have you been getting along?

hubluh wrote: »
    I went to the Institute this week for the Christmas grinds and im absolutely wrecked. Haven't done much study this week or even my homework :rolleyes:

Wby? How have you been getting along?

How did you find them? Were they useful? Was pondering doing them at easter break.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

How did you find them? Were they useful? Was pondering doing them at easter break.

Well I only did two subjects, English and Physics as I thought those were my weakest subjects. I would advise you to definitely do Physics. The notes are really concise and the teacher ( a living legend) goes back to the old syllabus to pick revision questions for predicted questions this year. He also explains most of the difficult theory in relatively simple language.

Similarly with English, I would strongly advise you to do it aswell. Likewise with Physics the teacher is also a legend and his notes are subarb! He goes through how to structure each essay in a way our teacher would never have done, taking the fact that he's an experienced corrector and teacher.

I would consider this the best place to go for grinds over Christmas or over Easter or whatever. I've heard good things about the French and Chemistry ones though. I'm also thinking of going over at Easter to do French but like you I remain undecided!

I could send you a sample of the notes if you want?

• Advertisement

Physics I think Im fine, I would be interested to see what the english notes are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

Hey I was just wondering has anyone heard if the leaving cert lecture days for English are any good?

Hey I was just wondering has anyone heard if the leaving cert lecture days for English are any good?

I've never heard of them, what are they?

Slowly realising that I understand absolutely nothing on the chemistry course

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

I've never heard of them, what are they?
    They are one day intensive revision courses which do most subjects. For the English one they do all the course bar a few of the poets and you get notes on them. I was just seeing if they are any good

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

emersyn wrote:
    Slowly realising that I understand absolutely nothing on the chemistry course

In the same boat as yourself, haven't a notion!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

is it just me or is it hard to believe the lc is only 22 weeks away.....

is it just me or is it hard to believe the lc is only 22 weeks away.....

Mocks in 6 weeks for me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr Murphy

Anybody have information on an external candidate for subjects like history being signed off? Biology, physics etc. Can I use the experiment copy that I used last year for them? Any advice is welcomed, thanks!

• Advertisement

Anybody have any idea when the Music Practical exam is?

Advertisement