Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Rock & Metal

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I'm not sure how I feel about the visual kai aspect of Japanese Rock/Metal.

I wonder where the style comes from? What is it about?

I find it a little bizarre that in genre of music that is as masculine as metal, you have guys who dress in a style that makes the look like women.

Would any of you guys who know more about it, care share your insight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

Loving this OOR song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

MJI wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about the visual kai aspect of Japanese Rock/Metal.

I wonder where the style comes from? What is it about?

I find it a little bizarre that in genre of music that is as masculine as metal, you have guys who dress in a style that makes the look like women.

Would any of you guys who know more about it, care share your insight?

It evolved from Glam in the 80's, X Japan were the band that coined the term Visual Kei

Japanese bands just kept getting more and more outrageous in their costumes after that. Malice Mizer were another band in the 90's that were a big influence on the genre and took the costumes and style even further.

Honestly, I love it. It's something that's so uniquely Japanese.

Sh*t... Masashi and Yuki are leaving Jupiter. :(
    Important announcement from Jupiter
    We are very sorry to announce the withdrawal of our bass player MASASHI and drummer YUKI. Their final show as Jupiter is Jupiter Tour ~CREATED EQUAL~ Tour final “BLESSING OF THE FUTURE” at Shinjuku ReNY on 29 April 2016.
    That said, Jupiter is going to rock each and every scheduled show as the original 5 members with all their force until 29 April 2016.
    Thank you for your support and love for Jupiter.

Message from MASASHI [Bass]
    I have come to the conclusion of leaving Jupiter after considering how to take the right balance between playing with Jupiter and expanding my work as a bass player. For me, causing my fellow members problem is the last thing I want to do.
    I have experienced a lot and grown up a lot as a bass player since the beginning of this band in the inspiring music, the exciting shows and all the rich moments with my fans all over the world. I’m absolutely filled with gratitude for my fans and my crew for their love and endless support for me.
    I’ll keep playing bass guitar and music after my farewell to Jupiter. I hope all of my fans will keep a warm eye on me in addition to their continuous support and love for Jupiter. Thank you.
    MASASHI

Message from YUKI [Drums]

I have decided to leave Jupiter to be able to expand my own musical activities and challenge my potential as a drummer. That said, I’m going to pour all my energy to every single performance until my last show with Jupiter on 29 April 2016.
    All the experiences and knowledge I learned in these 3 years are nothing but my precious treasure. All my fans, my crew and my fellow member of Jupiter, thank you so much for everything. I hope your continuous support and love for Jupiter from now on. Thank you.
    YUKI

Galneryus still masters of the finest cheese.

• Advertisement

girugamesh TOUR 2016 “鵺-chimera-” in EUROPE
    2016.05.11 (Wed) Volta Club (Moscow, Russia)
    2016.05.12 (Thu) Opera Club (St Petersburg, Russia)
    2016.05.14 (Sat) Zeche Carl (Essen, Germany)
    2016.05.15 (Sun) Zeche Carl (Essen, Germany)
    2016.05.17 (Tue) O2 Academy Islington (London, UK)
    2016.05.18 (Wed) De Helling (Utrecht, Netherlands)
    2016.05.20 (Fri) La Maroquinerie (Paris, France)
    2016.05.21 (Sat) Backstage (Munich, Germany)
    2016.05.22 (Sun) LIDO (Berlin, Germany)
    2016.05.24 (Tue) Kwadrat (Krakow, Poland)
    2016.05.25 (Wed) Club 202 (Budapest, Hungary)
    2016.05.27 (Fri) Colos-Saal (Aschaffenburg, Germany)

Cool! Girugamesh were fantastic live, would hugely recommend seeing 'em if you get the chance. ;)

^^this
    not to mention they're absolute sweethearts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

This thread still alive? Have to say I'm not a fan at all of the mainstream rock stuff that gets pumped out of japan. Dislike all the glam, anime music, and especially dislike the whole babymetal thing and idol music. Not trying to be elitist just i feel its a bit charty. :o

I do have a huge interest in underground Japanese rock and music. Maybe you'd be interested in some of it. Would love to chat to people with a similar interest. :)

Anyway here's a couple you might be interested in. Links I think the third song might be your kind of thing, not sure though!

It is indeed still alive! :D

Can't say that the videos you posted were my thing exactly, but it's great to have some different stuff posted to this thread, because Japan really has an incredible and vibrant music scene. ;)

Listening to these guys recently:

I know I'm always expecting more Deluhi-esque stuff when there's ex-Deluhi members doing stuff, so I wasn't mad on them at first, but once I got into it and accepted it was a completely different beast, loving those songs. Must grab the album soon. But speaking of new stuff I must grab, there's a new Nocturnal Bloodlust! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

Ah sorry for making presumptions. So is it mainly the real metally stuff you're into? Those tracks are good, especially the second one I like metal not my ideal genre.

Can't say I know much in the way of japanese metal to share with you unfortunately :(

Heaviest stuff I know would be dark psychedelic, and noise rock.

This barely falls under the rock genre but it's another band I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AgentCooper

Links234 wrote: »
    Malice Mizer were another band in the 90's that were a big influence on the genre and took the costumes and style even further.

Honestly, I love it. It's something that's so uniquely Japanese.

Malice Mizer shows always looked spectacularly theatrical :)

Did anyone here have an opportunity to go to one of their shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I do like me a bit of Japanese noise/rock/metal.

Boredoms, Merzbow, Boris, Melt Banana, all good.

Lately I've been listening to Corrupted, a Japanese doom/sludge band. Their album El Mundo Frio has gotten a lot of play.

Nisennenmondai as well, who I don't know how to categorise bar "They play instruments."

girugamesh are disbanding... I'm so glad i got the VIP ticket for their last live, but this is too sad. i can only be glad that shuu has a side project ;3;

girugamesh are disbanding...

Ah bollocks :(

I'm very glad to have seen them live, they were incredible.

i just know I'm gonna cry SO HARD on 7/10... luckily my friend is travelling over from singapore so we can sob all over each other.

Advertisement