Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Rock & Metal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I love Boredoms. One thing Japan is great at is producing bat****-crazy experimental music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

See, I think this thread has more than enough going for it and more than enough interest for it to be taken over by a single poster with a questionable obsession. The amount of different things being posted shows what an incredible music scene Japan has, there's stuff that's being posted I've never listened to that I'm going to take the time to later. This is a pretty god damn awesome thread, and put a huge smile on my face :D

Another band I love is Sadie, and I think this song gives a good idea as to why they're awesome, it's just so dark and atmospheric

And I haven't even gotten to Versailles or Deluhi yet :D

Going more oldschool, any love for X Japan? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Sakura Gakuin. Yes their an idol group but "Ganbare"! (Hang in there/Keep going) is by far their most rock song. Also their most successful single in their 4 year run to date

I know what you're thinking. Wait! "Did I just recognize two of the most awesome heavy metal performers in the world today in that video?

Yes you did. That is Yuimetal and Moametal.

Yes 2/7 of the most F'cked Up, Insane, Ridiculously Awesome band there has ever been. BABYMETAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm going to nip this in the bud now before it goes too far. I get that DublinRedDevil loves BabyMetal and fair play,nothing wrong with that. But if threads are going to be spammed full of BabyMetal then i'm going to start deleting posts. This thread has had some great stuff in it and we'd like to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The main Japanese metal band I'd listen to would be, by a wide margin, Sigh.

Cracking band, I wouldn't mind seeing them live some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The only Japanese metal band I listen to with any great degree of seriousness is EZO. Produced by Gene Simmons, they were really Americanised and glammed up to fit into the late-80's paradigm of metal.

Having seen some of the more modern Japanese metal bands and all the glam stuff they go in for, I can't help but think that EZO were the grand-daddies of them all, in some shape or form. EZO were awesome in their day. A bit esoteric (their début album is all over the place in terms of genre; is it glam? is it hard rock? is it thrash? who fukken knows...), but undeniably good.

The image:

185759.jpg?3244

tumblr_mklvm35Cls1qa53iwo1_500.jpg

The sound:

DazMarz wrote: »
    Having seen some of the more modern Japanese metal bands and all the glam stuff they go in for, I can't help but think that EZO were the grand-daddies of them all, in some shape or form.

You know, you do hit onto something, the glam aesthetics were a big part of the formative Japanese metal scene in the early 80's and they took in a lot of influence from different styles like early thrash and glam, mixed it all together and came up with their own thing, Visual Kei. But the real grand-daddies of them all are none other than X-Japan.

X_promo.jpg

Probably the most influencial band in the Japanese metal scene, and the term "Visual Kei" even originated from them. In terms of the particular look, X-Japan guitarist Hide (RIP) was and still is an icon.

xe4hv4.jpghide22.jpg

Musically, the term Visual Kei is incredibly broad, bands under the VK banner can be incredibly diverse, and there's a lot of genre-hopping to begin with. Along come Malice Mizer and add distinctively goth rock styles into the mix, accompanying aesthetic and all:

Malice+Mizer+3.jpg

But then evolving to encorporate more and more elaborate costumes, their stage shows were incredible.

Malice_Mizer_-_Gekka_No_Yasoukyoku.jpg

malice.jpg

And, if you've ever wondered where the whole Gothic Lolita fashion style in Japan came from? It was Malize Mizer guitarist Mana:

1244242674751_f.jpg

Malice_Mizer_Mana-samaKidIV.jpg

Then you can kinda see where that brings us to more modern bands, such as Versailles, the hair, the makeup, the faux-Rococo inspired costumes.

versailles-7-copy.jpg?w=717&h=398

So there you go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Didn't realise that X Japan came out before Loudness and EZO. That's me told... :o

DazMarz wrote: »
    Didn't realise that X Japan came out before Loudness and EZO. That's me told... :o

Oh they didn't, while X Japan were formed around the same time, early 80's, the likes of EZO, Loudness and Anthem were releasing albums before X Japan. But in terms of how they influenced the Japanese rock and metal scene, X Japan absolutely eclipses the others. They practically started the whole Visual Kei scene, you can still hear their musical influence, not just the aesthetic style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

Along with Loudness I can only really recall Vow Wow.

Also Marty Friedman seems to big a big hit there. New 'Inferno' album out now

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/life-after-deth-how-megadeths-marty-friedman-became-a-japanese-superstar-20140819

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

To this day I consider "Thunder in the East" by loudness one of the greatest metal albums of all time from any country in fact I would have it at number 2 behind only Rust in Piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This.... just this.... love the delay effect on the intro:

Also fun chorus is fun :pac::pac::pac:

Also "Maximum the Hormone" are really growing on me :)

So, one band I know there's a couple of fans of here are Dir En Grey, and what a ****ing band they are! I found them hard to get into, but their music is always an incredible listen, they've been quite the genre-hoppers over their careers, and have this incredible prog/death that's just so dark and atmospheric.

It's just pure art
    Cormac... wrote: »
    Also "Maximum the Hormone" are really growing on me :)

Glad you're enjoying them! :D Awesome band, but I really need to get their new album too

I had to share that this happened just yesterday mere hours after my related post, me and this guy never talk about music ever (he's a gamer friend of mine)
    What the sweet sam hell are the actual odds of this happening :pac::pac::pac:

dE6IZTH.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Epic thread, I discovered some great bands previously unknown to me: thank you guys!
    Here's my contribution

Galneryus are just so cheesy good! :D

Syu is a ****ing monster guitarist! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Links234 wrote: »
    You missed out on the video for Alien, which NEEDS to be seen the whole way through! Absolutely incredible video:

After watching this video I feel like I've started experimenting with LSD :eek:
    When the cartoon starts is a different song? Fukin' epic!

Not a band but these guys are quite amazing:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Seriously how can there be a Japanese metal thread and no mention of Sabbat? 30 years thrashin and they're still going. I remember in the 90's getting some of the "Harmaggedon" singles from distros like Russ Smith and Malicious records, class stuff

• Advertisement

Seriously how can there be a Japanese metal thread and no mention of Sabbat?

Well, there's so many incredible bands that haven't really been mentioned yet either. ;) I admit that I've not really listened to Sabbat much (although I have listened to quite a bit of the English Sabbat, but that's an entirely different thread right there) and you know, if there's anything else this thread has ommitted please post!

Another band that I really liked recently was Nocturnal Bloodlust :D

I know there's a few fans around, so here's someting from the new Sigh album! Just a demo so still sounds pretty rough

I'm just gonna leave this Electronicore Song and a Half here :pac:

Today I will be mostly listening to (that Snare off beat at 40 seconds is sexy):

I'm liking Crossfaith, not too gone on One OK Rock though. Cormac... what did you think of the bands in this post btw?

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm liking Crossfaith, not too gone on One OK Rock though. Cormac... what did you think of the bands in this post btw?

Yeah One Ok Rock are more a kind of standard Foo Fighters / 30 Seconds to Mars / Fall Out Boy kind of rock but as a musician I really appreciate their composition style and technical ability :o

I liked some of the ones in that post, can't remember which as it was like 2am when I was listening to them, I had to stop opening youtube videos from this thread cause some were either NSFW or just not the sort of thing you want colleagues seeing on your screen, I'll have to revisit them when I have some free time and I'm not in work :pac::pac::pac:

I enjoyed Girugamesh a lot. Maximum the Hormone are really growing on me. D and some of the other Visual Kai stuff, not so much, I kind of feel it's only so-so without the elaborate videos IMHO, but I understand the look/videos is a big part of the style. Some of the more folk stuff is seriously fun though :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    D and some of the other Visual Kai stuff, not so much, I kind of feel it's only so-so without the elaborate videos IMHO, but I understand the look/videos is a big part of the style.

Oh no way, I really disagree there! :eek: Ignore the videos and you've still got absolutely incredible music, amazing songwriting and one of the best metal vocalists ever!

Those melodies :o oh just so lush! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The great thing about Japan is the relative open-mindedness compared to the west, even conventional idols releasing a full on power metal track

The great thing about Japan is the relative open-mindedness compared to the west, even conventional idols releasing a full on power metal track

It's pretty good, but I just don't like how overpowering the vocals are in the mix. You do have a good point though, regardless of my criticism :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Japanese experimental/noise rock.

Advertisement