Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

1235718

Comments



  • Stena line offering 25% reduction in prices with offer from ploughing championships for bookings made until Sept 29 for travel in 2015. Use the link below.

    https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

    We had already booked our trip home with them and they just refunded us the difference- €40 !

    Thanks Stena :)




  • aquarius10 wrote: »
    Stena line offering 25% reduction in prices with offer from ploughing championships for bookings made until Sept 29 for travel in 2015. Use the link below.

    https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

    We had already booked our trip home with them and they just refunded us the difference- €40 !

    Thanks Stena :)

    Thanks for posting the offer Aquarius.

    I just checked this offer Vs Irish Ferries (who aren't giving me an option to use the FRANCEC15 discount code any longer :mad:) and going out Thursday July 9th returning July 31st on Stena with a 2.25m high MPV and a 4 bert cabin with window is €726 Vs €1,252 on Irish Ferries with the only exception being we'd be coming back Irish Ferries on Saturday the 1st of August as they don't sail Friday July 31st.

    That's a saving of €526 which is pretty good actually. Nowhere near as good as the €600 I paid last year for LD Lines Rosslare to St Nazaire on the way out and Irish Ferries Roscoff to Rosslare on the way back but the LD Lines fares were clearly a once off which we won't see the like of again!!

    I'm tempted to book the Stena offer but wonder if Irish Ferries won't be launching their own discounts shortly once their current promotion campaign for getting the last out of the 2014 season is over.

    Decisions decisions.




  • Booking made on Stena, thanks Aquarius. €500 saved Vs Irish Ferry Equivalent.

    Note: I upgraded to the FlexiFare option on both legs for a total cost of €15. This entitles you to 100% refund if you cancel your booking at anytime up to the day before the scheduled sailing. I'm happy to pay that €15 now to have the €726 fare locked in. If something better from Irish Ferries comes along or by some miracle LD Lines re-open the St Nazaire route I'll jump on the better deal and then get a refund from Stena.




  • Per T&C's - This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offers or promotions including Tesco Clubcard Boost tokens.

    If that makes a difference to anyone




  • BenEadir wrote: »
    Booking made on Stena, thanks Aquarius. €500 saved Vs Irish Ferry Equivalent.

    Note: I upgraded to the FlexiFare option on both legs for a total cost of €15. This entitles you to 100% refund if you cancel your booking at anytime up to the day before the scheduled sailing. I'm happy to pay that €15 now to have the €726 fare locked in. If something better from Irish Ferries comes along or by some miracle LD Lines re-open the St Nazaire route I'll jump on the better deal and then get a refund from Stena.

    Bon Voyage !


  • Advertisement


  • That's not bad. Just checked. About €900 for the 5 of us with outside cabin compared to about €600 we paid this year with LD Lines

    Obviously + 4 hours extra driving from the north of Normandy to the south of Brittany (not great with small kids) instead of spending those 4 hours relaxing on the boat and about an extra €70 in petrol too. Are there any tolls from Cherbourg to St Nazaire on top of that, anyone?




  • Sorry to go slightly off topic but just to let people know heading towards Paris that the Pont Mathilde Bridge (A28) in Rouen in closed. Caused me awful problems trying to get out of Rouen!, I had a major disagreement with the sat-nav. Plan your journey accordingly!




  • mattb74 wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but just to let people know heading towards Paris that the Pont Mathilde Bridge (A28) in Rouen in closed. Caused me awful problems trying to get out of Rouen!, I had a major disagreement with the sat-nav. Plan your journey accordingly!
    was closed, is now open aparantly since a few weeks back

    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_Mathilde




  • aquarius10 wrote: »
    Stena line offering 25% reduction in prices with offer from ploughing championships for bookings made until Sept 29 for travel in 2015. Use the link below.

    https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

    We had already booked our trip home with them and they just refunded us the difference- €40 !

    Thanks Stena :)

    You are the man! Glad I didn't book yet. Was looking at Dublin <> Cherbourg on IF but now back to Stena for €300 cheaper on Rosslare <> Cherbourg.

    Looking good for booking this. Thanks a mil aquarius10!:D




  • mattb74 wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but just to let people know heading towards Paris that the Pont Mathilde Bridge (A28) in Rouen in closed. Caused me awful problems trying to get out of Rouen!, I had a major disagreement with the sat-nav. Plan your journey accordingly!

    Had the same problem on the Bank holiday Friday afternoon on the Bastile Day weekend. Fookin sat nav. Did a city tour of Rouen with a caravan and all the circus that our hobby entails.:mad:


  • Advertisement


  • aquarius10 wrote: »
    Stena line offering 25% reduction in prices with offer from ploughing championships for bookings made until Sept 29 for travel in 2015. Use the link below.

    https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

    We had already booked our trip home with them and they just refunded us the difference- €40 !

    Thanks Stena :)

    Thanks for that, have just checked and can get €824 for our dates, first 2 weeks in July (what it was when I first checked early August, but had gone up to €1100 last time I looked).

    Has anyone booked with Stena and paid just the €100 deposit? I see you have to phone up to avail of this option, so do they quote the same fare or is there an uplift for doing the transaction with a real person?




  • unkel wrote: »
    That's not bad. Just checked. About €900 for the 5 of us with outside cabin compared to about €600 we paid this year with LD Lines

    Obviously + 4 hours extra driving from the north of Normandy to the south of Brittany (not great with small kids) instead of spending those 4 hours relaxing on the boat and about an extra €70 in petrol too. Are there any tolls from Cherbourg to St Nazaire on top of that, anyone?
    No but depends on exactly where you are going. There is one on the A83 just south of Nantes.




  • Has anyone booked with Stena and paid just the €100 deposit? I see you have to phone up to avail of this option, so do they quote the same fare or is there an uplift for doing the transaction with a real person?

    Nope they matched the online price I got for my sailing at Christmas. Dammit that reminds me I have to pay that off soon !!!!




  • Before booking try aferry.com. used them 2 years ago substantial saving on company sites. Plus it compares all the routes.

    Just looked there and is 793 end of June out and middle July coming back. Rosslare cherbourg. I am going at start if June as kids not in school yet and getting it for 330.

    Booked a 3 bed gite down near la Rochelle for 2 weeks for 500. Under 900 for 2 weeks hols.

    Went with siblu in last time and cost way more. Tbh we went to England this year and stayed in a cottage and suited us much better. Just did our own thing every day.




  • christy02 wrote: »
    Booked a 3 bed gite down near la Rochelle for 2 weeks for 500. Under 900 for 2 weeks hols.

    Went with siblu in last time and cost way more. Tbh we went to England this year and stayed in a cottage and suited us much better. Just did our own thing every day.

    I guess your kids are under 4 years old? We did camp sites for a couple of years and then tried a gite. It was a lovely place but a disaster. The kids were 6 and 10 and were bored off their trolley. I spent two weeks either driving to things which kept them entertained (beach, zip lining, bouncy castle, pony trekking etc) or online trying to find something to entertain them. Never again whilst they are school going age.

    We went back to camp sites (Siblu actually for the last 3 years) and it works great. The kids socialise all day and night long with other kids from France, the UK and Ireland all around their own age (very important for social development in my opinion) but we also do family things depending on the weather or how we're feeling e.g. zip lining, the beach etc.




  • BenEadir wrote: »
    I guess your kids are under 4 years old? We did camp sites for a couple of years and then tried a gite. It was a lovely place but a disaster. The kids were 6 and 10 and were bored off their trolley. I spent two weeks either driving to things which kept them entertained (beach, zip lining, bouncy castle, pony trekking etc) or online trying to find something to entertain them. Never again whilst they are school going age.

    We went back to camp sites (Siblu actually for the last 3 years) and it works great. The kids socialise all day and night long with other kids from France, the UK and Ireland all around their own age (very important for social development in my opinion) but we also do family things depending on the weather or how we're feeling e.g. zip lining, the beach etc.

    we've been going to siblu parks for the last 3 years, I've found that as the kids get older, there is more and more stuff for them to do, this year we had a lot of rain though, which meant a good bit more spending as we were travelling to outside activites like aquariums etc. but thats the risk you run in pretty much any holiday.




  • BenEadir wrote: »
    I guess your kids are under 4 years old? We did camp sites for a couple of years and then tried a gite. It was a lovely place but a disaster. The kids were 6 and 10 and were bored off their trolley. I spent two weeks either driving to things which kept them entertained (beach, zip lining, bouncy castle, pony trekking etc) or online trying to find something to entertain them. Never again whilst they are school going age.

    We went back to camp sites (Siblu actually for the last 3 years) and it works great. The kids socialise all day and night long with other kids from France, the UK and Ireland all around their own age (very important for social development in my opinion) but we also do family things depending on the weather or how we're feeling e.g. zip lining, the beach etc.

    Eldest will be just gone 4 next year. Tbh we like doing family things when on holiday. This year we went somewhere different every day. Even year we went to siblu we went somewhere most days. Found the clubs got in the way as we had to be back at certain times etc.

    Also seems to me that some use clubs as a way to.pawn kids off for a few hours. I work a lot during year and think this is my chance to spend time with them which I love.

    Exploring places is great fun and kids like it as well.




  • christy02 wrote: »
    Eldest will be just gone 4 next year. Tbh we like doing family things when on holiday. This year we went somewhere different every day. Even year we went to siblu we went somewhere most days. Found the clubs got in the way as we had to be back at certain times etc.

    Also seems to me that some use clubs as a way to.pawn kids off for a few hours. I work a lot during year and think this is my chance to spend time with them which I love.

    Exploring places is great fun and kids like it as well.

    Christy - which siblu parks did ye go to? - purely out of interest. We've been to Domaine De Kerlann and Bois Dormant / Bois masson. Our eldest is just gone 4 and is mad for spending time with other kids. Shes only away for an hour or 2 so it lets us really have the craic with out second lady who's only 14 months. I'm with you on the spending time with them though. Its amazing how much better you can get to know them in the space of a fortnight.




  • Christy - which siblu parks did ye go to? - purely out of interest. We've been to Domaine De Kerlann and Bois Dormant / Bois masson. Our eldest is just gone 4 and is mad for spending time with other kids. Shes only away for an hour or 2 so it lets us really have the craic with out second lady who's only 14 months. I'm with you on the spending time with them though. Its amazing how much better you can get to know them in the space of a fortnight.

    We used les charmettes about an hour south of la Rochelle. When we were there we only had our 2 yo. At time wasn't so bothered about the social aspect. Loves it now but is in preschool this year so has plenty of time to spend with other kids.

    Really enjoyed this year just 4 of us. Did something different every day (which of course costs money). Went to playgrounds and beaches etc and she would play away with other children there.




  • christy02 wrote: »
    Eldest will be just gone 4 next year. Tbh we like doing family things when on holiday. This year we went somewhere different every day. Even year we went to siblu we went somewhere most days. Found the clubs got in the way as we had to be back at certain times etc.

    Also seems to me that some use clubs as a way to.pawn kids off for a few hours. I work a lot during year and think this is my chance to spend time with them which I love.

    Exploring places is great fun and kids like it as well.

    The happy medium for us is a day which goes as follows:-

    Get up around 8am and cycle to the boulangerie with my (now 9 year old) daughter whilst her 13 year old brother and my wife sleep on. We could go to the camp site shop but we enjoy the 10 minute cycle each way and always have a great chat along the way plus she gets to practice her French asking for the croissants and pain au chocolat etc.

    Get back and prepare coffee, fruit and cereals before waking the sleepy heads and having a family breakfast on the deck. Doesn't matter if it's overcast or even raining as it's a covered deck.

    By 9:30 breakfast is over and the kids get ready for camp which is from 10 to 12 noon.

    As they head off around 9:45 myself and my wife put our cycling gear on and head off for a two hour 35km cycle on the excellent bike paths which take us along the coast and in through woods etc. We're back by 11:45 in time for showers.

    Kids get back from camp around 12:15 and we decide, based on the weather or how we feel or increasingly depending on arrangements the kids have made to meet up with their new friends at the pool etc what we're going to do for the afternoon. Sometimes it's a BBQ at the mobile and we head for the pool afterwards where the kids are meeting their new friends or we head out to find somewhere for lunch and perhaps spend the afternoon on the beach or exploring new places. It all really depends on how we're feeling and we make it up as we go.

    There's always a few things on a list we "have" to do during the holiday such as zip wiring, pony trekking, go karting, water park etc.

    One of the best things we did this year was driving over Le Passage du Gois (http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/passage-du-gois.htm) at low tide one evening.

    Evenings are family dinner around 6:30pm either BBQ or eat out (probably BBQ one in three days) and then let the kids off up to the entertainment where they hang out with their new friends until 10:30pm for the 9 year old and midnight for the 13 year old which is way later than they'd ever be allowed out at home but it seems everything in France starts and finishes later plus the site is so safe and secure it doesn't really feel like they are "out". They are only 300m away in a very controlled environment plus as the responsible father I make an effort to go up to the entertainment for an hour mid way through the evening keep an eye on them whilst having a couple of beers ;)

    The kids generally don't bother with the afternoon camps and that's how we feel we get the best of both worlds.


  • Advertisement


  • BenEadir wrote: »
    The happy medium for us is a day which goes as follows:-

    Get up around 8am and cycle to the boulangerie with my (now 9 year old) daughter whilst her 13 year old brother and my wife sleep on. We could go to the camp site shop but we enjoy the 10 minute cycle each way and always have a great chat along the way plus she gets to practice her French asking for the croissants and pain au chocolat etc.

    Get back and prepare coffee, fruit and cereals before waking the sleepy heads and having a family breakfast on the deck. Doesn't matter if it's overcast or even raining as it's a covered deck.

    By 9:30 breakfast is over and the kids get ready for camp which is from 10 to 12 noon.

    As they head off around 9:45 myself and my wife put our cycling gear on and head off for a two hour 35km cycle on the excellent bike paths which take us along the coast and in through woods etc. We're back by 11:45 in time for showers.

    Kids get back from camp around 12:15 and we decide, based on the weather or how we feel or increasingly depending on arrangements the kids have made to meet up with their new friends at the pool etc what we're going to do for the afternoon. Sometimes it's a BBQ at the mobile and we head for the pool afterwards where the kids are meeting their new friends or we head out to find somewhere for lunch and perhaps spend the afternoon on the beach or exploring new places. It all really depends on how we're feeling and we make it up as we go.

    There's always a few things on a list we "have" to do during the holiday such as zip wiring, pony trekking, go karting, water park etc.

    One of the best things we did this year was driving over Le Passage du Gois (http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/passage-du-gois.htm) at low tide one evening.

    Evenings are family dinner around 6:30pm either BBQ or eat out (probably BBQ one in three days) and then let the kids off up to the entertainment where they hang out with their new friends until 10:30pm for the 9 year old and midnight for the 13 year old which is way later than they'd ever be allowed out at home but it seems everything in France starts and finishes later plus the site is so safe and secure it doesn't really feel like they are "out". They are only 300m away in a very controlled environment plus as the responsible father I make an effort to go up to the entertainment for an hour mid way through the evening keep an eye on them whilst having a couple of beers ;)

    The kids generally don't bother with the afternoon camps and that's how we feel we get the best of both worlds.

    To be fair I think we will go back to campsites when kids are a few years older. Let ye know next year how gite worked out lol.




  • christy02 wrote: »
    To be fair I think we will go back to campsites when kids are a few years older. Let ye know next year how gite worked out lol.

    At the age your kids are at you're their entire world and thats an amazing stage of life. They do grow up and go from relying 100% on you to wanting to demonstrate their 100% independence. It might sound like a loss of connection with them but it's not. Seeing them develop, sprout their wings and turn into confident young people (hopefully with good manners and good behaviour!!) is a great feeling also. It's just different. Enjoy the Gite this year.




  • BenEadir wrote: »
    Booking made on Stena, thanks Aquarius. €500 saved Vs Irish Ferry Equivalent.

    Note: I upgraded to the FlexiFare option on both legs for a total cost of €15. This entitles you to 100% refund if you cancel your booking at anytime up to the day before the scheduled sailing. I'm happy to pay that €15 now to have the €726 fare locked in. If something better from Irish Ferries comes along or by some miracle LD Lines re-open the St Nazaire route I'll jump on the better deal and then get a refund from Stena.

    Just did the same, thanks for the tip on the FlexiFare.

    Seems like the cabins are going up in price by €5 every 12 hours or so.




  • Thanks aquarius10.. Stenaline booked for next year, out on 27th June the day after kids finished school. Was very close to paying €300 more with IF only a few days ago. Added Flexi too and that allows for cancellation up to 24 hours before trip.

    Have to go find camping site now - kids want to go back to Le Genet again, we are creatures of habit sometimes.




  • aquarius10 wrote: »
    Stena line offering 25% reduction in prices with offer from ploughing championships for bookings made until Sept 29 for travel in 2015. Use the link below.

    https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer
    thanks for that!

    on the negative side, it only starts on the 5th of Jan meaning our christmas booking on the 3rd remains as expensive as it is.

    on the positive, this is a good enough offer to bring the cost down enough that landbridge isnt worth the hassle.
    I've looked at direct France-Ireland ferries before for the summer but when they are about a €1000 return, the sub €400 return for landbridge is the only way to go
    (ok, a premier inn for 29 pound is also needed, and maybe €140 for 2 tanks of petrol to get across Britain, but thats easily covered out of the €600 euro saving, and for me not hitting any french toll roads/ bridges).

    But €600 for direct ferry + a few tolls vs €400 (plus €140 uk petrol money) for landbridge is a different proposition.




  • Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Just did the same, thanks for the tip on the FlexiFare.

    Seems like the cabins are going up in price by €5 every 12 hours or so.


    same here, thanks for the tip Aquarius10 , owe you a pint ......saved €83
    booked for €559 - june 18th departure - early july return, rosslare - cherbourg.

    went flexi so arse covered if a better deal pops up elsewhere, although can't see it happening. Checked IF for same dates and they want €1126 ...price gouging shower, nothing ever changes with them.

    tip - to pay only a booking fee with stena (€100 booking in my case), you must phone them, the website looks for the full amount.......but ring them, and tell them of the "ploughing match" offer, and they are happy apply it it over the phone. Very good customer service indeed it must be said.

    so, thats boxed off........:pac: Something to look forward to. :)




  • MidlandsM wrote: »
    same here, thanks for the tip Aquarius10 , owe you a pint ......saved €83
    booked for €559 - june 18th departure - early july return, rosslare - cherbourg.

    went flexi so arse covered if a better deal pops up elsewhere, although can't see it happening. Checked IF for same dates and they want €1126 ...price gouging shower, nothing ever changes with them.

    tip - to pay only a booking fee with stena (€100 booking in my case), you must phone them, the website looks for the full amount.......but ring them, and tell them of the "ploughing match" offer, and they are happy apply it it over the phone. Very good customer service indeed it must be said.

    so, thats boxed off........:pac: Something to look forward to. :)

    When I checked this it seemed the €100 deposit for phone bookings was non-refundable, even for FlexiFare, is that not the case?




  • Cianmcliam wrote: »
    When I checked this it seemed the €100 deposit for phone bookings was non-refundable, even for FlexiFare, is that not the case?

    not sure , but I got the flexi - call them if you want to make sure. I called them cos' I didn't want the full whack coming off my debit card this side of xmas with a tax bill, house insurance, business insurance and a load of other fund sapping things coming in the post in the next 6 weeks.:eek:




  • Stena are making me book 2 x 4 berth cabins for the dates I'm looking at (late June out, mid July back) but there's just the 5 of us and 2 of them will be just 2yo and 9 mths.
    Is it not possible to book just the 1 x 4 berth cabin and use our own cot for the baby?


  • Advertisement


  • This post has been deleted.


Advertisement