Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

jay0109 wrote: »
    Stena are making me book 2 x 4 berth cabins for the dates I'm looking at (late June out, mid July back) but there's just the 5 of us and 2 of them will be just 2yo and 9 mths.
    Is it not possible to book just the 1 x 4 berth cabin and use our own cot for the baby?

When booking online, book one of the seats as well as the cabin you need (theyre free), that will allow you to get thru to the end of the booking process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone who has travelled with IF please advise:

There's a big price difference between a 2 star and 3 star (both no window) 4 bed cabins....€89 one way.
    And it says the 2 star cannot accommodate a cot.

Has anyone gone the 2 star route with a family of 5 (youngest is less than 1 by time of travel)...or will Irish Ferries block this at some stage of the booking process or when going on board?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

There's a big price difference between a 2 star and 3 star (both no window) 4 bed cabins....€89 one way.

Has anyone gone the 2 star route with a family of 5 (youngest is less than 1 by time of travel)...or will Irish Ferries block this at some stage of the booking process or when going on board?

thanks
    Did it this summer and it was fine. 6 month old slept in one bed and the other 2 slept in another. The cabins definately won't fit a cot but then again we had a cot one year and it took up the whole floor in a four star cabin. There is plenty entertainment in high season to keep everyone out of them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the only way to work it is to flip up one of the bottom bunks flush to the wall and "replace" it with a cot.
    It then means though you only have 3 bunks - but the 2 year old could maybe sleep along with the mother or one of the kids maybe ?
    (with us, our 2 and 4 year old end up far too often in the bed anyhow - but they do fit at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just booked siblu there for next year, its the last day for the €420 loyalty discount - I only had to pay down €50 so if I change my mind its no big deal (up until november).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Just booked siblu there for next year, its the last day for the €420 loyalty discount - I only had to pay down €50 so if I change my mind its no big deal (up until november).

The loyalty discount and 25% off Stena basically pay for a third weeks holiday for use and makes the whole trip so much more worth while. We're with Siblu also (Le Bois Masson) and for three weeks in an Excellence 3 bed in July + ferry with outside cabins on Stena works out at €2,785 for the three weeks for 2 adults and 2 kids. Not mega cheap but great value for money in my view Vs flying to a destination and hiring a car etc.

BenEadir wrote: »
    The loyalty discount and 25% off Stena basically pay for a third weeks holiday for use and makes the whole trip so much more worth while. We're with Siblu also (Le Bois Masson) and for three weeks in an Excellence 3 bed in July + ferry with outside cabins on Stena works out at €2,785 for the three weeks for 2 adults and 2 kids. Not mega cheap but great value for money in my view Vs flying to a destination and hiring a car etc.

you did well there, I'll be going by Brittany Ferries and only for 2 weeks in july and its coming in around 2500 for an excellence. Compared to last year, the ferry price was dearer by 170 euros. To someone who hasnt done this type of holiday before, that seems expensive, but realistically you'd spend the guts of that on any holiday if you have to fly / hire car / pay for entertainment. Our kids are young, so they wouldn't notice if we never left the park. I'd theoretically save money by going with stena, but the 3 hour drive each way from my house to rosslare outweighs the savings.

we're in the Bois Dormant across the road from you - hopefully the weather will be better than what we got this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

thanks

As most have said the 2 stars are tiny - and no floor space for a cot - although we are only 2 people (haven't the expeience of travelling with children ) we always book the 3* 2 bed - there's lots more floor space and if the children are small and yourself and partner are slender you could have two in each bed and enough floor space for baby in the cot - it's a real rip off price difference tbh for the 4 bunk beds - however the other advantage of the 3* either way is having the tv if the sailing gets boring. Edit to add they probably won't allow you book a cabin with less beds and someone suggested lifting the bottom bunk on 2* 4 bed that might work.

I'm off on IF soon and this time of the year the 3* (2 bed no window) is €54 - so I don't feel quite so ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

Plus there's the additional problem of having to bring the travel cot from your car to the cabin and back amongst other luggage as you can't rent one if it won't fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

When we went 2 years ago we got a 2 bed cabin with three of us. 2 yo slept on bottom bunk, I slept on top bunk and oh slept on a small camp mattress on the floor. No problems.

Going again next year and with new addition I got a 4 bed cabin. Got it all in for 400euro with stena in june. Flexi as well. Was working out at 765 with Brittany ferries. Worth the 2.5 hours to rosslare from cork to save 365. Extra diesel I will still save over 300.

Went to uk this year with baby being small. Drive to rosslare is fine. Don't think stena boat is a patch on pont aven but we will get over that.

we're in the Bois Dormant across the road from you - hopefully the weather will be better than what we got this year!
    That's gas. We were debating switching to Dormant but decided to stay in Masson. I like the more relaxed feel of Dormant and I prefer the whole clubhouse/snack bar/pool set up to Masson but we use the restaurant in Masson every 2 or 3 days and the kids (9 and 13) spend all their evenings in the entertainment and playground areas there plus that's where the kids club is in the morning so if we stayed in Dormant they'd be crossing the road several times a day and late in the evening and we just didn't want that.

Some better weather would be a bonus all right but we had a great time this year despite the poor weather. Loads of board and card games with the kids whilst it rained and ton's of cycling and exploring which is actually easier to do in worm overcast weather rather than splitting the rocks 28C sunshine.

Maybe we can have a Boards.ie beers meet up one of the evenings!!

Missed that 25% off on Stena unfortunately and current prices for the end of June (out), back mid July look like this:

Stena (Ross-Cher)
    €955

IF (Ross-Cher)
    €1,407

BF (Cork-Ros)
    €1,168

Fekn expensive.

Looks like Stena will be getting the call tomorrow. Or does anyone know if any more discounts are likely soon based on previous experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Missed that 25% off on Stena unfortunately and current prices for the end of June (out), back mid July look like this:

Stena (Ross-Cher)
    €955

IF (Ross-Cher)
    €1,407

BF (Cork-Ros)
    €1,168

Fekn expensive.

Looks like Stena will be getting the call tomorrow. Or does anyone know if any more discounts are likely soon based on previous experience?

I said it earlier on in the thread but try aferry.co.uk and directferry.co.uk.

Used them before and can be substantial savings on direct websites.

Stena (Ross-Cher)
    €955

IF (Ross-Cher)
    €1,407

BF (Cork-Ros)
    €1,168

Fekn expensive.

there's 10 percent off if you're staying with siblu. valid until the end of October. I'll see if I can post up the link when I get my hands on my laptop

christy02 wrote: »
    I said it earlier on in the thread but try aferry.co.uk and directferry.co.uk.

Used them before and can be substantial savings on direct websites.

Getting about 10% cheaper using aferry.co.uk (tried the Irish version a few days ago and saw no difference).
    Thanks but would work out better going direct through Stena myself as I have Tesco vouchers which will be greater than a 10% discount

http://www.siblu.ie/travel/?CMP=EMC-vie140919one-days-left

link as mentioned. might be useful to someone.

webpal wrote: »
    Did it this summer and it was fine. 6 month old slept in one bed and the other 2 slept in another. The cabins definately won't fit a cot but then again we had a cot one year and it took up the whole floor in a four star cabin. There is plenty entertainment in high season to keep everyone out of them anyway

No issue from IF staff onboard at checkin when they see 5 people and just a 4 bed cabin booked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

any more stena offers out there - missed the 25% off unfortunately. phoned them and they said there'd be more offers during the next few months but could not confirm. any body know when they are likely to run offers again.

• Advertisement

dominoe39 wrote: »
    any more stena offers out there - missed the 25% off unfortunately. phoned them and they said there'd be more offers during the next few months but could not confirm. any body know when they are likely to run offers again.

IIRC November and January are popular months for offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

IIRC November and January are popular months for offers.
    indeed, when folks are either saving up for christmas or recovering financially from it!

indeed, when folks are either saving up for christmas or recovering financially from it!

Exactly so people tend not to pay for summer ferry trips at that time, hence the timing of the discounts. They'll never offer discounts at popular times of the year for booking trips, they don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Folks, is it still the case that LD lines not sailing Ie to Fra for 2015, or has anyone heard different

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, is it still the case that LD lines not sailing Ie to Fra for 2015, or has anyone heard different

No sign at all that LD lines will re-appear for next year unfortunately.

No sign at all that LD lines will re-appear for next year unfortunately.

A pity , didnt travel with them in 2013, but excellent value

The prices of their competitors are huge

I wonder given the high prices of their competitors , toll charges , fuel etc (assuming you are driving from Northern France to the South), is it worth it using a ferry ;
    the alternative ;
    flying Ryanair to Rodez, Carcasonne, etc and hiring a car. Of course the RY option really only works if travelling light

k123456 wrote: »
    A pity , didnt travel with them in 2013, but excellent value

The prices of their competitors are huge

I wonder given the high prices of their competitors , toll charges , fuel etc (assuming you are driving from Northern France to the South), is it worth it using a ferry ;
    the alternative ;
    flying Ryanair to Rodez, Carcasonne, etc and hiring a car. Of course the RY option really only works if travelling light

I would never fly over to france.....shure how would i bring home the copious amounts of wine and cheese on a ryanair flight .... lol

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I would never fly over to france.....shure how would i bring home the copious amounts of wine and cheese on a ryanair flight .... lol

True

Was intending to use the ferry for the first time, and stock on on the wine

In General terms :

Where's the best place to buy wine ?

Lidl / Aldi France
    Carrefour/ Super U , Intermarche etc
    Vineyards (I find these expensive) personally
    Local Co - op wine shop
    Wine Producing areas languedoc etc, or are the the prices the same nearer the
    ports Cherbourg etc

I find your local supermarche is as good as any.

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I find your local supermarche is as good as any.

Same here. Try different wines from various supermarkets whilst on holiday and buy a few cases of your favorite(s) a day before heading home.

I also top up a little in one the warehouses in the port, maybe one two more cases squeezed under the rear passenger footwell!

Advertisement