Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

k123456 wrote: »
    True

Was intending to use the ferry for the first time, and stock on on the wine

In General terms :

Where's the best place to buy wine ?

Lidl / Aldi France
    Carrefour/ Super U , Intermarche etc
    Vineyards (I find these expensive) personally
    Local Co - op wine shop
    Wine Producing areas languedoc etc, or are the the prices the same nearer the
    ports Cherbourg etc

Depends where you are heading too in France. We were in Bordeaux a couple of years ago and the best value was definitely in the Local Wine Co-Op.

We also found a vineyard whose wine we really liked. Over there it's around €6 per bottle but it is equivalent to a wine of at least €20 over here.

We also visited a few of the prestige vineyards and picked a bottle or two up from them as well again at a price a lot cheaper than we would have paid here. If you are going down that route it helps if you suss out their prices before you go to France. I noticed that a few of the shops in the more touristy places like Saint Emilion did have rip off prices on some bottles.

The supermarkets will also have good value on cases of wine as well. Also if like me you are a Whiskey drinker the prices are far better in France and the Supermarkets normally have a good selection of Scotch Whisky.

Most important tip is to make sure your cars suspension and brakes are in tip top order because it's going to be laden down with goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You might finds some useful information in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057256017

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

On the ferry side of things, has anybody travelled with stena to France. I have done Brittany ferries (excellent) and irish ferries (poor) before but stena have good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

rowr wrote: »
    On the ferry side of things, has anybody travelled with stena to France. I have done Brittany ferries (excellent) and irish ferries (poor) before but stena have good prices.

Not yet although I'm booked.

I expect something similar to the Celtic Horizon or LD Lines ferry this year. Clean, comfortable and functional but no frills. Bring your own entertainment (books, movies, cards etc), try and get as much sleep as possible and look at the food side of things as necessary re-fuelling rather than a culinary experience and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BenEadir wrote: »

I expect something similar to the Celtic Horizon or LD Lines ferry this year. Clean, comfortable and functional but no frills. Bring your own entertainment (books, movies, cards etc), try and get as much sleep as possible and look at the food side of things as necessary re-fuelling rather than a culinary experience and it will be fine.
    great summary

There was a lot of grumbles over the years about the stena vessel in its previous guise as a Celtic Link ship.
    Some said the ship was small (even though its the same length as the Irish ferries one IIRC).
    Others gave out that the ship was dated, even though its only 5 or so years old and in comparison a couple of decades younger than the irish ferries ship.

It is "basic" in that you dont have 3 or 4 separate bars to choose from to buy a coffee or beer off, but I dont actually know why you'd need a choice seeing as the coffee or beer is normally the exactly the same regardless of which outlet sells it.

(edit: ok, a choice of food places is "nice", but for me and others in my situation its irrelevant as I'd prefer to bring something for the 2 young kids that I know they'll eat rather than pay for restaurant food that 90% of the time the kids won't touch - meaning I can't eat my grub either as the kids then start being bored + hungry + grumpy and start running about the place cauying a nuisence - meaning you'd be blowing 60euro+ on a family feed that mostly ends up in the bin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BenEadir wrote: »

I have used the Stena crossing and the above is pretty accurate. I think the Irish Ferries "economy" service from Dublin is much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

rowr wrote: »

Never traveled with Brittany so can't vouch for them. I would rate Irish Ferries above Celtic/Stena based on my past experience. I've traveled on the Oscar Wilde and found it to be reasonable value but a much superior traveling experience to Celticlink.

I'll be traveling with Stena for Christmas (Irish Ferries don't seem to be sailing over the Christmas period) so I will find out what they are like then.

The missus is just back from using the economy Irish Ferries service from Dublin and said it was very like Celtic Link, ie basic but not having to drive to and from Wexford was brilliant.

We're already booked in for Irish Ferries next summer from Rosslare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Does anyone know when the French campsites generally begin accepting bookings for next year? Only one or two is showing on Booking.com for Brittany at the moment.

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the French campsites generally begin accepting bookings for next year? Only one or two is showing on Booking.com for Brittany at the moment.

http://www.siblu.ie - I'm already booked for next year but I booked next years holiday onsite whilst there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trolley

Any discount code's out there for Stena line .
    Going from Rosslare to Cherbourg around the 27th July for 2 weeks .

• Advertisement

trolley wrote: »
    Any discount code's out there for Stena line .
    Going from Rosslare to Cherbourg around the 27th July for 2 weeks .

I think http://www.aferry.ie build whatever discounts are available into the fares they quote. Might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

May already have been posted but Irish Ferries advertising a 10% promo code in today's sunday times

Promo code FRANCEC15

Cianmcliam wrote: »

Try www.siblu.ie/2015 and use discount code FAB15. The discount is "only available to families who have holidayed with Siblu before" but it's worth a try. The flyer I got does say you have to book by phone on 0818 274 097 so you might have to have a good reason to get around the "prior customer" question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Siblu also have a code for 1st timers....NEW15

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

anybody else getting itchy feet about booking Irish Ferries before 31st October. 10% off is a nice bit, but somebody else advised keep it cool til November/Jan when there should be more offers. What is the general opinion? i have never booked Irish Ferries for France before. should i hold off and hope there is a better deal than the 10% one or should i take it. the trip in early to mid july is over a grand for just 3 of us, even with the 10% off, that seems really expensive to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

dominoe39 wrote: »
    anybody else getting itchy feet about booking Irish Ferries before 31st October. 10% off is a nice bit, but somebody else advised keep it cool til November/Jan when there should be more offers. What is the general opinion? i have never booked Irish Ferries for France before. should i hold off and hope there is a better deal than the 10% one or should i take it. the trip in early to mid july is over a grand for just 3 of us, even with the 10% off, that seems really expensive to me?

The code francec15 will be good for 10% discount for a while yet, but your dates are for peak times so cant see fares being any cheaper the longer you leave it plus the cheaper cabins will be gone first. A grand for july is about the norm, have you tried stena? Brittany ferries will be dearer id imagine. Remember there's no LD lines next year to increase competition. Having gone to France on all ferries for the last 6 yrs id say book it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

dominoe39 wrote: »

I have used them the last 2 years from Rosslare and they never go over the 10% discount. However they do offer a free trip to the UK at some stage with your booking. I got this, but typical IF, there are lots of conditions associated with booking this trip

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trolley

Is there any discount codes out there for Brittany Ferries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 james28637

For what its worth this year I booked the le pointe st Gilles campsite through them and was able to get their posh timber mobiles for €100 cheaper than the basic euro camp model. We are sailing to with Irish ferries again roslare-roscoff for the third year in a row and can't fault the ferry or campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks,
    I hope to travel by ferry to Normandy from Ireland and stay on a campsite this summer (mobile home, gite etc.). It will be our first time to do this (2 adults and 2 two kids) and I would welcome any advice on what to book, pricing etc. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,
    I hope to travel by ferry to Normandy from Ireland and stay on a campsite this summer (mobile home, gite etc.). It will be our first time to do this (2 adults and 2 two kids) and I would welcome any advice on what to book, pricing etc. Thanks in advance.
    You should take a look at your dates as there are huge price variances between the summer months. Might be no harm to start your own thread as any responses might get lost under this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭mrskinner

Book your mobile home through the camp site rather than a holiday company. Most big campings have mobile homes to rent and the details will be on their web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

If you want a gite then look at Cottages 4you site. Great selection for all locations/price ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Folks,

Hi Bif, I just copied my post from another thread with lots of info based on my own experiences - hopefullys its helpful.

Originally Posted by tantipie View Post
    I'd love to go to France with the kids but don't have a clue about nice areas or campsites.Do I need to bring everything but the kitchen sink packed in the car and can you not go back to the car during the ferry trip??any tips advice would be fantastic
    I cant recommend the trip highly enough. my top tips for an easy time are as follows

1. Luggage - before you pack, lay everything you need out on a bed. then put at least half of it back in the wardrobe as you'll never use it. Unless you're exceptionally messy eaters as adults, you'll manage a fortnight with 3 tshirts, 2 pairs of shorts and a weeks supply of underwear. A hoodie will be plenty to keep you warm in the evenings and you can wear "irish weather" clothes on the boat over. There are laundry facilities on the campsites and they're cheap as chips. Its worth it (IMO) to book the bedlinen at the campsite as its more space spared in the car (do bring towels though). Also, when packing the car, try to resist the temptation to load up the back seat in between the kids with stuff, it'll only make them cranky / claustrophobic - if you cant fit it in the boot / roofbox, then you probably dont need it.

2. Bags on the boat - we have 2 kids, so adjust accordingly - my wife brings 1 bag containing a change of clothes, toothpaste & brushes and a few toys for the kids. I bring a second bag containing cereal bars, an empty bottle, a Flask with some milk in it and teabags - I'll explain these in the next point. its also worth noting that they don't give out seasickness tablets on the boat any more, so make sure you get them before you leave if required.

3. Breakfast on arrival in france is very early, and its totally jammers, your time is better served by getting a head start on getting down to the car deck and getting off the boat rather than waiting for the masses to filter out.before you leave, Boil the kettle in your room. While its boiling, transfer the milk from the flask into the empty bottle, then fill the flask with the boiling water.

4. Leave the boat, then drive a short distance to somewhere you can pull in and have yourself a light breakfast of cereal bars and tea. (I told you there was a method to my madness).

5. Hit the road. Sat Nav is a major plus, but its worth making sure that the route it takes is the preferred one - for example, last year our satnav brought us from the vendee to roscoff via all back roads. It might have essentially been a shorter distance, but it took a good bit longer to drive.

6. On the drive, Mc Donalds is your friend, regardless on your views on feeding the kids junk. They'll see it as a welcome treat and most roadside ones have great playgrounds and outside seating areas.

7. When you arrive at your campsite, if its a sunday, in all likelihood, the main shops in the area will be closed, so it might be best to budget for having your first evenings meal at the restaurant. (or else pack something like pasta and sauce in your luggage)

8. The supermarkets, for whatever reason, are total pandemonium on a monday morning in france. If your kids are young, i'd recommend one of the adults to take the kids to the pool /playground while the other hits the supermarket for the essentials - Its best to try and avoid picking up stuff in the campsite shops as they are very expensive in comparision to the lidl / E Leclerc / Super U shops.

9. On the return trip (if leaving from roscoff), try and allow yourself some time in the town of roscoff, its actually a lovely little spot to while away a few hours. Also, there is no point in being overly early for the boat home, waiting in a carpark in the heat with kids is not a fun time.

10. Have fun!

if I think of anything else I'll add it on here later.
    Last edited by Stone Deaf 4evr; 13-05-2014 at 09:28.

original thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938938

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

Just seen a tweet that the irish ferries 10% code will end on jan 5

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Bif

webpal wrote: »
    Just seen a tweet that the irish ferries 10% code will end on jan 5

Re 10% discount currently available and been in very early January can anyone tell me based on their previous experience if this is a good time to book with Irish Ferries to France or should I wait for better offers? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MICHAELO_4921

Re 10% discount currently available and been in very early January can anyone tell me based on their previous experience if this is a good time to book with Irish Ferries to France or should I wait for better offers? Thanks.

It depends on bookings, sometimes there is another 10% discount code later in the year. But on the most popular sailings they sell out fast & cabins can be hard to get over the summer. I know Dublin - Cherbourg was very popular last year most sailings over the summer sold out & cabins a very limited email on that ship.

If they had what I'm looking for & I liked the price I would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

I can't believe the price increase on the Dublin-Cherbourg route. Last year the price was €882 for a return trip. For the same period this year I've just got an online quote for €1,152 - same ship, same cabins.
    The same trip, similar cabins, leaving and arriving home a day later on the Oscar Wilde, €742.

How can they call the Dublin-Cherbourg route an economy service at these prices??

Off to check prices on Stena and Brittany ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, it's a bit of a laugh alright. It's the Ryanair school (old-skool) of "economy" branding. I was looking recently and it's €479 one way from Dublin on Saturday 20th June and €309 from Rosslare the next day.

And somehow they keep pitching it as the "economy" service. I'm not saying it's really, really expensive, but it's not economy.

z
    MelachiT wrote: »
    I can't believe the price increase on the Dublin-Cherbourg route. Last year the price was €882 for a return trip. For the same period this year I've just got an online quote for €1,152 - same ship, same cabins.
    The same trip, similar cabins, leaving and arriving home a day later on the Oscar Wilde, €742.

How can they call the Dublin-Cherbourg route an economy service at these prices??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MelachiT wrote: »

That won't go well !

The hike in ferry prices seems like gouging, especially given the drop in fuel prices

Advertisement