Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

There is a business park on the outskirts of Nantes which we have stopped in a few times - I think it's called Atlantis. There's a good few hotels there, an IKEA (if you are feeling like some furniture . . . or meatballs), a huge big Carrefour or one of those hyper markets, a tram stop which will get you to the centre of Nantes in 20 minutes or so and a couple of other good features.

This would be ideal if you did travel on the sail on the Thursday. You could stock up at the hypermarket Saturday morning and arrive ready to roll. It's just off the main road as you come in from the north.

We stayed at this place a couple of times - http://ie.hotels.com/ho260592/park-suites-elegance-nantes-atlantis-st-herblain-france/ - but there were literally another 3 or 4 hotels within a couple of minutes walk, all within the same park.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Tesco voucher with Siblu :)
    Don't really shop in Tesco and don't have a Tesco credit card so not much chance of getting a significant amount of vouchers I'm afraid.

I didn't know Siblu took Tesco vouchers :o

zagmund wrote: »
    There is a business park on the outskirts of Nantes which we have stopped in a few times - I think it's called Atlantis. There's a good few hotels there, an IKEA (if you are feeling like some furniture . . . or meatballs), a huge big Carrefour or one of those hyper markets, a tram stop which will get you to the centre of Nantes in 20 minutes or so and a couple of other good features.

This would be ideal if you did travel on the sail on the Thursday. You could stock up at the hypermarket Saturday morning and arrive ready to roll. It's just off the main road as you come in from the north.

We stayed at this place a couple of times - http://ie.hotels.com/ho260592/park-suites-elegance-nantes-atlantis-st-herblain-france/ - but there were literally another 3 or 4 hotels within a couple of minutes walk, all within the same park.

z

Thanks Zagmund, that sounds like a good plan if we travel on the Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MICHAELO_4921

BenThere wrote: »
    Don't really shop in Tesco and don't have a Tesco credit card so not much chance of getting a significant amount of vouchers I'm afraid.

I didn't know Siblu took Tesco vouchers :o

They take a max of €500 in tesco vouchers.

So I checked my IF options and after using the FRANCEC15 discount code these are the prices I'm getting for a 2.25m tall MPV with 2 adults and two children with a 2 sat 4 berth outside cabin each way:

Sat July 11th Rosslare to Cherbourg returning same route Aug 1st - €1,090

Thurs July 9th Rosslare to Roscoff returning from Cherbourg Aug 1st - €1,126

That's a bit depressing compared to the €566 it cost me this summer going over on LD lines for €168 (massive BA price!) and returning with IF.

So almost twice as expensive this year with no competition from LD. I guess it's true what they say about competition pushing prices down and the lack of competition resulting in higher prices.

• Advertisement

From what I hear LD lines was no competition to the big three for tourism traffic. The tourism was just an add on to the big money freight traffic. €168 was a great price very little in it for LD lines when you take into account port taxes & other costs.

€168 was a great price very little in it for LD lines when you take into account port taxes & other costs.
    I agree entirely so I'd be quite happy to pay twice that if it meant a regular sailing on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm pretty sure that €168 fare was only ever an introductory offer to get business & publicity. It's hard to see how that would have been a sustainable fare. If they were still running this year (and the fact that they aren't says something about the profitability) I reckon it would be around the 600-800 or more mark for July returns.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that €168 fare was only ever an introductory offer to get business & publicity. It's hard to see how that would have been a sustainable fare. If they were still running this year (and the fact that they aren't says something about the profitability) I reckon it would be around the 600-800 or more mark for July returns.

z

I'd definitely live with that price range for three reasons:-

1. It's still a lot cheaper than IF
    2. I enjoyed the LD crossing more than the IF crossing with Oscar Wilde
    3. Sailing to St Nazaire saves 4.5 hours of driving down from Roscoff or Cherbourg. that alone saves €200 or so in Diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wombats

That info about Nantes sounds like an ideal stopover place.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 wombats

On IF Oscar Wilde which cabin would be similar to the brittany ferries ones? There's 2, 3, 4 star ones.

wombats wrote: »
    On IF Oscar Wilde which cabin would be similar to the brittany ferries ones? There's 2, 3, 4 star ones.

I have not used BF yet but you can view images of IF Oscar Wilde's cabins here http://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/ships/oscar-wilde/?tab=2

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

wombats wrote: »

4 person cabins on BF would be similar to 2 star 4 bed on IF, i ve been on both many times and both are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

In my experience the 4 berth cabins on BF are way way nicer than the two star on IF. I'd say the 3 star would be more like it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭paddydriver

So looking at options its Dublin <> Cherbourg on the Epsilon with IF or Rosslare <> Cherbourg with Stena on the Horizon.

IF €100 more, inclusive of 10% early discount. Cannot get any discounts on Stena unfortunately - anyone able to help on this one? Have used the Irish Farmers Association discount on Stena before but its not valid for bookings in 2015.

So anyone got thoughts on Epsilon Vs Horizon? The Epsilon seems identical to LD Lines Norman Atlantic but has more services. Norman Atlantic was very basic but benefit on Dublin <> Cherbourg is that its out late afternoon and arrives mid morning so easier to pass time and entertain kids. Both have WiFi so that's a plus, but cannot imagine its going to be spectacular! No Netflix I imagine:cool:

So what ye reckon?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Paddydriver as I've never travelled by ferry before I don't know much either but it was the cost that influenced everything.

We booked IF Rosslare to Cherbourg on a Monday for €280 and will return home sunday to Rosslare with Stena for €260. We booked the 4 berth inside cabin. We are travelling with 2 & 3 yr old so they are basically free.

We booked the dates that suited us, really not pushed how we get there. The cabins can't be that bad ? hopefully as kids are young they'll sleep for most of it, I'll bring the ipad & portable DVD player to amuse them. We'll get to see both ferries next year which may make a difference for future holidays - guess will just have to wait & see :)

High Vis vests - these are required by law, must be kept in the car for each person travelling to France.

Get your family Free high Vis vests from RSA.ie

You can order high visibility vests , backpack covers and bags on the RSA website for family free of charge. Fantastic opportunity without cost to ensure we are all seen.

I ordered them today and have already received a mail saying they are been packed for dispatch !

You do need to create an account but it was quite straight forward.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety...Orders-online/

Go to RSA website, click on road safety tab, and then on orders online, register.

Once you've registered & logged in you will see a column down the left of the page named categories and high visibility goods are here, add what you to the basket, various sizes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

Just got a mail from quest en france. 25% off Brittany ferries and 20% off their holidays, book by 31 October

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

3. Sailing to St Nazaire saves 4.5 hours of driving down from Roscoff or Cherbourg. that alone saves €200 or so in Diesel!
    I think you're overestimating the fuel savings.

It's 360 km from Cherbourg to St Nazaire
    Or one tank of diesel round trip
    Diesels cheaper in France than here too

I think you're overestimating the fuel savings.

It's 360 km from Cherbourg to St Nazaire
    Or one tank of diesel round trip
    Diesels cheaper in France than here too

I sit corrected. A full tank in my yoke is €150 & fully loaded will get me 850 km's max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Never done this type of holiday before (ferry + camping), in fact never been on a family holiday before!

Looking at last week in June for 2 weeks...am I right in saying about about €700 per week for accomm (thats what Siblu's site for Vendee is returning) and about €1,140 )Francec15 promo code for 10% off) for a return ferry trip (2 adults + 3 kids under 4)....(€1,307 if using Tesco vouchers)
    So €2.5k for 2 weeks. Is that the standard/best that can really be got?

Would be tempted to just go for a package holiday to the south of Spain/Portugal at those prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭paddydriver

webpal wrote: »
    Just got a mail from quest en france. 25% off Brittany ferries and 20% off their holidays, book by 31 October

Have you got a discount code for the Brittany Ferries offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭webpal

Have you got a discount code for the Brittany Ferries offer?

Not that easy I'm afraid, they'll only give it to you once you book with them.

Jayo109 - you might get better prices shopping around, we saved €100 by booking Al Fresco instead of Eurocamp for same camp, caravan & days, then also got cheaper -€100 ferry home. We are sailing to Cherbourg with IF on June 15 cause we want to arrive early weekday for Disney & leave with Stena Sunday night 28 June - there was no penalty for booking one way. Our total holiday is €1900 - 4 nights in Davy Crokett DLP and 8 nights in cote de nacre for 2 adults, 3yr & 2 yr old.

If we went a week later prices were about €300 more! but if u can work ur dates & ring around you might save more ?

But would highly recommend as a family holiday. This will be our 3rd "camping" trip away and it's wonderful, kids love it & surrounded by other families, very relaxed, no hen or stag parties or larger louts jumping in pool !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Jayo109 - you might get better prices shopping around, we saved €100 by booking Al Fresco instead of Eurocamp for same camp, caravan & days, then also got cheaper -€100 ferry home. We are sailing to Cherbourg with IF on June 15 cause we want to arrive early weekday for Disney & leave with Stena Sunday night 28 June - there was no penalty for booking one way. Our total holiday is €1900 - 4 nights in Davy Crokett DLP and 8 nights in cote de nacre for 2 adults, 3yr & 2 yr old.

If we went a week later prices were about €300 more! but if u can work ur dates & ring around you might save more ?

But would highly recommend as a family holiday. This will be our 3rd "camping" trip away and it's wonderful, kids love it & surrounded by other families, very relaxed, no hen or stag parties or larger louts jumping in pool !

Thanks
    So given the later dates in particular (plus 2 extra nights that I've priced in), that probably accounts for the extra cost on my 2.5k v's your 1.9k.
    So this type of holiday is around the 2k to 2.5k mark for late June/early July for just the travel & accom.

Pricier than I had imagined. At least I have some Tesco vouchers to use up for Siblu and hopefully a good discount on IF, to get it all down closer to 1.5k from the .5k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

I sit corrected. A full tank in my yoke is €150 & fully loaded will get me 850 km's max.

Jaysus, you driving a bus? Full tank in my yoke is €100, on the motorways in France I get around 900/950km, my journey one way is 980km

billie1b wrote: »
    Jaysus, you driving a bus? Full tank in my yoke is €100, on the motorways in France I get around 900/950km, my journey one way is 980km

Yeah, kind of :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yeah, kind of :-)

Nice! Mines a Pathfinder, I'm always very pleased with her litres per kilometres over there

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Just checked with IF there.

2 adults with camper van over to Cherbourg on 15th June and return from Roscoff on 30th July. (2* cabin with window.) Costing €726.30.

Cost €642 last year for same outward date but returning on 6th July which saved €50.

So comparing like for like it would appear that the price has increased by about €35.

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Nice! Mines a Pathfinder, I'm always very pleased with her litres per kilometres over there

Mines a Touareg - I get about 850km's fully loaded i.e. full roof box, full boot space and 4 bikes on the back. It's 2.3 tons sitting empty so with all that crap on board plus a brutal aerodynamic profile with all the stuff up top and hanging off the back 850km is the rage of a full tank (about 99 litres) even though to begin with the trip computer thinks it's going to get me 950km or so. I even saw 1,010 on the forecast once but that's just dreaming.

Advertisement