Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

That won't go well !

The hike in ferry prices seems like gouging, especially given the drop in fuel prices
    They obviously think Dublin customers will pay serious amounts extra to sail out of Dublin. Think the economy service label may refer to the boat rather than price! Haven't been on either so may well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bif wrote: »
    They obviously think Dublin customers will pay serious amounts extra to sail out of Dublin. Think the economy service label may refer to the boat rather than price! Haven't been on either so may well be wrong.

You are right. The Oscar Wilde is a much better ship and it makes no sense that IF would charge more for the service from Dublin. Make the drive to Rosslare and you will enjoy a better crossing at a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Supply and demand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

webpal wrote: »
    Supply and demand

Not so sure- time will tell- its early days yet- we could yet see massive discounts on this- if everyone tells them to bugger off and we all go via Rosslare..........

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Well the boat certainly comes under the economy category.
    I think they may well be charging the extra because a. it's departing from Dublin and b. it departs on peak days of the week.

But this Dub won't be fooled. ;)

• Advertisement

Not so sure- time will tell- its early days yet- we could yet see massive discounts on this- if everyone tells them to bugger off and we all go via Rosslare..........

Yes, it people hang on and don't panic book just yet there may be discounts. But on the other hand the cabin availability on the Dub-Cherbourg route already is a worry.

Yes, if people hang on and don't panic book just yet there may be discounts. But on the other hand the cabin availability on the Dub-Cherbourg route already is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

With the removal of the LD Lines Norman Atlantic from Rosslare to St Nazaire there is one fewer ferry on the route and with the economy picking up a bit there are probably more people travelling. Increased demand + decreased supply = higher prices. The fact they make marginally more profit due to lower fuel costs is just a brucie bonus on top!!!

BenEadir wrote: »
    With the removal of the LD Lines Norman Atlantic from Rosslare to St Nazaire there is one fewer ferry on the route and with the economy picking up a bit there are probably more people travelling. Increased demand + decreased supply = higher prices. The fact they make marginally more profit due to lower fuel costs is just a brucie bonus on top!!!

I wouldn't read too much into the brief appearance of LD Lines last year. It was a bit of an an anomaly - using an EU subsidy to offer cheap fares on a trial basis. Good while it lasted but never a serious long term factor.

The serious players - IF, BF and Stena - all know the market and can all do their sums. Fares will be what they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

With the removal of the LD Lines Norman Atlantic from Rosslare to St Nazaire

Now that you mention it, this is the ferry that had that tragic fire off Greece last week

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into the brief appearance of LD Lines last year. It was a bit of an an anomaly - using an EU subsidy to offer cheap fares on a trial basis. Good while it lasted but never a serious long term factor.

The serious players - IF, BF and Stena - all know the market and can all do their sums. Fares will be what they will be.

It was the competition from LD Lines last year which helped increase supply on the Ireland -> France route thus prompting the others to discount fares to fill their boats during the peak holiday season. There was also less demand last year due to 2013 being a good summer so more people were staycationing last summer. Less demand + more supply from LD Lines last summer = lower fares.

It was the competition from LD Lines last year which helped increase supply on the Ireland -> France route thus prompting the others to discount fares to fill their boats during the peak holiday season. There was also less demand last year due to 2013 being a good summer so more people were staycationing last summer. Less demand + more supply from LD Lines last summer = lower fares.

I'd say LD's impact on fares was negligible to zero. They only ran a handful of sailings, with prices underpinned by an EU subsidy aimed at trucks. The ferry business needs steady commercial traffic and St Nazaire was never sustainable as a stand alone destination as the other operators well knew.

Booked with IF out of Rosslare to Cherbourg on Oscar Wilde using the 10% discount code. I was speaking to a guy who use to take ferries to France every summer and he reckoned the price was good. Looking forward to it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's the 10% discount code?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Closed Jan 5th. It was on their social media sites so maybe keep an eye there?

I'd say LD's impact on fares was negligible to zero.
    I'd like to have that negligible impact on fares available every summer. I got a VW Touareg with a roof box and bike rack, 2 adults, 2 kids and a nicer cabin than the equivalent Oscar Wilde from Rosslare to St Nazaire (saving 4 hours driving in France worth €100 diesel) for €168.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

ThisRegard wrote: »

I just priced it from Rosslare to Roscoff and used the FranceC15 code and it did reduce the price at the end. Didn't go on to try and actually book it as we booked with the 25% off from Stena from the ploughing championships Rosslare to Cherbourg but have been keeping an eye as Roscoff would suit better.

I'd like to have that negligible impact on fares available every summer. I got a VW Touareg with a roof box and bike rack, 2 adults, 2 kids and a nicer cabin than the equivalent Oscar Wilde from Rosslare to St Nazaire (saving 4 hours driving in France worth €100 diesel) for €168.

I was talking about the impact on fares with the other carriers. You got a great deal but you won't get anything like that again.

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I just priced it from Rosslare to Roscoff and used the FranceC15 code and it did reduce the price at the end. Didn't go on to try and actually book it as we booked with the 25% off from Stena from the ploughing championships Rosslare to Cherbourg but have been keeping an eye as Roscoff would suit better.

Nice one...25% that is. Is that a usual feature at Ploughing? was it available for all dates?

Nice one...25% that is. Is that a usual feature at Ploughing? was it available for all dates?

I think I heard about it on this thread, the details are still here:
    http://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

Have never heard about it before so not sure if it's an annual thing, was just glad to grab it while it was on offer! We paid an extra few euro for the option to change or cancel it for full refund in case Irish Ferries had a similar offer. Still €400 or thereabouts cheaper than IF with their 10% off for same dates! Boat isn't as big or well equipped as the Oscar Wilde but can't argue with the price.

• Advertisement

I was talking about the impact on fares with the other carriers. You got a great deal but you won't get anything like that again.

Don't be hitting me with those negative waves First Up ;)

Don't be hitting me with those negative waves First Up ;)

The poor old Norman Atlantic got hit by more than negative waves alas.

Closed Jan 5th. It was on their social media sites so maybe keep an eye there?

FRANCEC15 10% discount code backup according to IF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

FRANCEC15 10% discount code backup according to IF website.

Its working today, anyway. The Irish Ferries website froze/never progressed to payment page, so I rang them (0818 300 400) and a lad took the all details over the phone and give me my reference number.
    August travel, Rosslaire to Cherbourg, Motorhome, 2 adults 1 child,€540.30 with the discount. Cant be bad, hardly get any cheaper as the year goes on, and about ten of each cabin type available as of this morning. The cheaper cabins all go very fast usually.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its working today, anyway. The Irish Ferries website froze/never progressed to payment page, so I rang them (0818 300 400) and a lad took the all details over the phone and give me my reference number.
    August travel, Rosslaire to Cherbourg, Motorhome, 2 adults 1 child,€540.30 with the discount. Cant be bad, hardly get any cheaper as the year goes on, and about ten of each cabin type available as of this morning. The cheaper cabins all go very fast usually.

Is that for one-way only?

Is that for one-way only?

No, return.

Out. Wed 12 August, price €264 plus cabin
    Back Thurs 25 August, Price €204 plus cabin, minus discount code. total €540.30
    Cabins are 2 bed, no window.

That's a great price, but to move our dates out to August doubles the cost of the same accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That's a great price, but to move our dates out to August doubles the cost of the same accommodation!

I had the very same problem when I was booking mine. its like the cost of accommodation is on an inverse proportion to the ferry - i.e. cheap ferry = dear accommodation and vice versa. I think when all was said and done the spread between the highest quote and lowest was about 300 euros.

for a finish, I picked dates that suited me and took the hit on the ferry cost but decided to treat ourselves to the largest variety of mobile home that was on offer.

That's a pity, cause if you can arrange to use mid week ferries it makes a difference. We are only using a pitch for the campervan at the campsites, so they tend to vary less in price month by month. Also last year we left home the afternoon before, and stayed at St. Margeret's campsite between Wexford town and Rosslaire that night, so all was relaxed for the sailing next day.

• Advertisement

Not much use now but for next year it may be worth remembering that Stana line gave a 25% discount http://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer during the ploughing championship and will hopefully do so again next year. I've already put Sept 22nd 2015 into my Outlook diary to check ;)

I took advantage of the discount this year and got Roslare -> Cherbourg return early July back end of July with a fully loaded 4X4, and a 4 berth cabin with window for 2 adults and two kids for €747.50 which was a saving of €180. It's still €180 more than I paid last year but then I went over with LD Lines on the Norman Atlantic for €168 and back with Irish Ferries on the Oscar Wilde for €398 or so but it's not too bad given I'm travelling out and back at the weekend in peak season.

Advertisement