Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebola

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

King Mob wrote: »
    There's a risk of it, yes. So they follow up on it to make sure and try to prevent people from not using the buses and planes to eliminate the risk.

great example of that earlier

However, because of her exposure to the virus, Vinson shouldn't have traveled on the commercial flight, the CDC director said on Wednesday. Frieden revealed the nurse registered a low-grade fever of 99.5 degrees before she boarded the plane.

It was later confirmed that the CDC gave Vinson permission to get on the plane because she was showing no other symptoms of the virus, and her temperature didn't reach the threshold of 100.4 degrees.

"She wasn't bleeding or vomiting," Frieden said. "The level of risk around her would be extremely low, but because of the extra margin of safety, we will be contacting [all those who were on the flight]."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

enno99 wrote: »
    great example of that earlier
    I never said they were perfect. I said the exact opposite in fact.

And the article you quote actually explains what I was trying to:

"She wasn't bleeding or vomiting," Frieden said. "The level of risk around her would be extremely low, but because of the extra margin of safety, we will be contacting [all those who were on the flight]."
    The chances are the everyone else on that flight is fine. But they are checking just in case.

Again, I don't see what you find suspicious here.

Why do you think that this person was allowed to slip through the cracks?
    Do you think that it is more likely that it was a mistake or that it was deliberate?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

The media`s intention here is not to heighten awareness, anyone watching can see that either the media are running away with the excitement or deliberately dramatizing it to create a panic reaction.

Why??

The importance of public perception?

Any rational adult can see this heightened reporting as a farce!
    Any movie fan is shouting at the TV don't be a fool, this is going to spread. Is he a genius or is it an intention to create a fear/panic of spread.

euroboom13 wrote: »
    The media`s intention here is not to heighten awareness, anyone watching can see that either the media are running away with the excitement or deliberately dramatizing it to create a panic reaction.

Why??

The importance of public perception?

Any rational adult can see this heightened reporting as a farce!
    Any movie fan is shouting at the TV don't be a fool, this is going to spread. Is he a genius or is it an intention to create a fear/panic of spread.
    Or it could be the media hyping it up to sensationalise the story and sell more copy?

Like they did with Swine and Bird flu and SARS and whatever else came before.

So who benefits from this panic and how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jh79 wrote: »
    So would you be against the use of these drugs in the countries affected?

What was the name again of the Irish doctors who produced a cure for leprosy and made it off-patent because they said it would be immoral to profit from such a cure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

What was the name again of the Irish doctors who produced a cure for leprosy and made it off-patent because they said it would be immoral to profit from such a cure?

Never heard this story, how did they pay for the production of the cure etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Never heard this story, how did they pay for the production of the cure etc?

They were working in Trinity on a cure for TB when they found it; TB was a massive problem in the impoverished Ireland of the time, so they had funding for that.

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/student_inventors.aspx

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/the-irish-miracle-worker-26498171.html
    Vincent Christopher Barry (1908-1975) may not be a household name, but an estimated 15 million people owe him their lives. In a laboratory tucked away at the back of Trinity College, Dublin, in the 1950s, the humble Cork-born scientist stumbled on the cure for leprosy -- one of the world's most cruel and debilitating diseases.

I'm wrong, though, what they did was transfer the patent to the Indian government

http://www.rsc.org/Membership/AboutRscMembership/Obituaries/McElhinney.asp

(leprosy then being endemic in India):
    1933 - 2005: Stanley McElhinney, who has died aged 72, was associated with breakthroughs in the treatment of both cancer and leprosy… Earlier in his career he joined the team that had made Clofazimine, the patent for which had been transferred to the Indian government. He was sent to India in the mid-1970s to advise on its manufacture, and it still remains a major drug in the treatment of leprosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

AIDS was started by having sex with monkeys in the jungle.Ebola was created by eating monkey bush meat.
    Basically let these primates go extinct before they take us down and we end up with Planet of the Apes for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

AIDS was started by having sex with monkeys in the jungle.Ebola was created by eating monkey bush meat.
    Basically let these primates go extinct before they take us down and we end up with Planet of the Apes for real.

So much wrong in that single post. Please don't post things like that again and read our forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So much wrong in that single post. Please don't post things like that again and read our forum charter.
    Your avatar makes that comment so much better :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fmorning-mix%2Fwp%2F2014%2F08%2F05%2Fwhy-west-africans-keep-hunting-and-eating-bush-meat-despite-ebola-concerns%2F&ei=EpY_VMSLDuve7AbvtYD4Bw&usg=AFQjCNFfpGKjqdCRPCEYrIBCEeirK8Zxfw&sig2=4AKh_9N4w_AC21CAm0I6Lg&bvm=bv.77648437,d.ZGU Hold on Ebola is started by eating bushmeat?I am correct.
    And as it has been during past Ebola outbreaks, bush meat is once again suspected to have been the bridge that caused the deadly disease to go from the animal world to the human one. All it takes is a single transmission event from animal to human — handling an uncooked bat with the virus, for example — to create an epidemic. Human-to-human contact then becomes the primary source of infection.

Banned 1 day - trolling.

Or it could be the media hyping it up to sensationalise the story and sell more copy?

Voice of reason for a change below ?

His masters voice get a flu shot

I wonder when a Ebola Vaccine becomes available what his story will be ?

New flu vaccines offer extra protection - and more profits

Contracts struck with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirm a hefty price jump for the new four-strain flu vaccine, with GSK's quadrivalent Fluarix, for example, costing $12.03 per dose against $8.08 for the standard version, according to the agency's website. (link.reuters.com/huf33v)

Those price premiums may feed through to higher revenues and accelerated growth in a global flu vaccine market that research group Datamonitor Healthcare estimates at around $3.7 billion a year.

His masters voice get a flu shot

I wonder when a Ebola Vaccine becomes available what his story will be ?

Contracts struck with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirm a hefty price jump for the new four-strain flu vaccine, with GSK's quadrivalent Fluarix, for example, costing $12.03 per dose against $8.08 for the standard version, according to the agency's website. (link.reuters.com/huf33v)

Those price premiums may feed through to higher revenues and accelerated growth in a global flu vaccine market that research group Datamonitor Healthcare estimates at around $3.7 billion a year.
    So you are suggesting that they are faking all of these leaks so that panic would increase and people would buy vaccines?

A vaccine comes out which offers extra protection and you are surprised it cost more than the standard vaccine?

Everybody knows the power of media, if I was in business the fear of a pandemic would influence my investments.(that's one reason)

The second is that I would also relies that by broadcasting this panic I am increasing the likelihood that it will effect somebodies business.

Thirdly if I was being effected by these broadcasts whom would I be blaming for this wide spread fear mongering, the polite none political news station?

Turn off this rubbish propaganda and give proper containment a chance.

Everybody knows the power of media, if I was in business the fear of a pandemic would influence my investments.(that's one reason)

The second is that I would also relies that by broadcasting this panic I am increasing the likelihood that it will effect somebodies business.

Thirdly if I was being effected by these broadcasts whom would I be blaming for this wide spread fear mongering, the polite none political news station?
    So why are the media doing this? Which business are they effecting and why?
    Turn off this rubbish propaganda and give proper containment a chance.
    Then you believe that the media should not report the facts? Cover it up? Pretend it's not happening?

Can you point to an example of a normal level of media attention or a level not influenced by a conspiracy.

And why do you think that my explanation is not adequate?

So why are the media doing this? Which business are they effecting and why?

Then you believe that the media should not report the facts? Cover it up? Pretend it's not happening?

Can you point to an example of a normal level of media attention or a level not influenced by a conspiracy.

And why do you think that my explanation is not adequate?

The question is , do I want to knock your unwavering belief, that the box you live in is exactly what you believe it is. The answer is no.

Why would I try, to get you to believe ,that maybe you are being made aware of Ebola, for something other than your benefit? You can`t handle that.

You believe that the coverage of Ebola, is pure honest rational coverage that us mushrooms need to know?I don`t.

I don`t know anything about you but I know you haven`t lived very much if you can not see something odd happening here, and I ain`t going to educate you any.

Defender of" Truth TV ",king(mob) ,enjoy the tune of the pied piper.(just try not to be deaf to reason)

I don`t know anything about you but I know you haven`t lived very much if you can not see something odd happening here, and I ain`t going to educate you any.
    I've been asking people to explain what is odd or suspicious about the coverage.
    No one can, which is strange for something that's supposedly obvious.

I'm willing to listen to theories, but no one has actually presented one in detail, let alone a reasonable one.

King Mob

My wife told everyone she met how terrible it was that I man got his head cut off be ISIS, she saw it on the news .Two days latter it came out that the video that showed the beheading was fake but they knew for a fact that it really happened.

Facts heard on TV are taken as gospel, they shouldn`t be.

Question everything!

If you do, this world will start to make since.

• Advertisement

I've been asking people to explain what is odd or suspicious about the coverage.
    No one can, which is strange for something that's supposedly obvious.

I'm willing to listen to theories, but no one has actually presented one in detail, let alone a reasonable one.

It is getting too much airtime in countries that are not involved.
    Its been around since the 70`s yet only 5000 deaths, more children die prematurely every day.

Why ,why, why ,Is it being promoted.

Its not inoffensive broadcast, its completely dramatic.

But it is normal , informative helpful information that your children should be watching before bedtime.! Not in my house

A vaccine comes out which offers extra protection and you are surprised it cost more than the standard vaccine?

Nothing surprises me anymore

Now thats an awful lot of vaccines that wont get sold
    If healthy people really panic and think fu(k that im not going to a health clinic/ hospital or other to get a flu jab while there I might be in contact with someone that has Ebola

Is Old Shep steering the sheep by any chance

Like the London riots ,this will end when the media stop promoting it!

Question everything!
    I am questioning things. I'm also asking you questions. You are not providing answers.
    Should I just accept what you say without question?
    It is getting too much airtime in countries that are not involved.
    Its been around since the 70`s yet only 5000 deaths, more children die prematurely every day.

Why ,why, why ,Is it being promoted.
    Because the media like to sensationalise stories.
    They do this because it attracts views and readers, not because they are told to by government masters.

Also, while the virus has been around for a while, the recent outbreak in Africa is more widespread than before.
    Should the news media not pay attention to this because it's all the way in Africa?
    Its not inoffensive broadcast, its completely dramatic.

But it is normal , informative helpful information that your children should be watching before bedtime.! Not in my house
    So again, could you please explain what a normal coverage not influenced by a conspiracy?
    Maybe you could point to a similar disease outbreak that wasn't part of a conspiracy?

The question is , do I want to knock your unwavering belief, that the box you live in is exactly what you believe it is. The answer is no.

Why would I try, to get you to believe ,that maybe you are being made aware of Ebola, for something other than your benefit? You can`t handle that.

You believe that the coverage of Ebola, is pure honest rational coverage that us mushrooms need to know?I don`t.

Defender of" Truth TV ",king(mob) ,enjoy the tune of the pied piper.(just try not to be deaf to reason)

EB, rein it back in, getting pretty close to being a personal attack instead of a discussion.

Keep it civil, everyone.

Nothing surprises me anymore

Now thats an awful lot of vaccines that wont get sold
    If healthy people really panic and think fu(k that im not going to a health clinic/ hospital or other to get a flu jab while there I might be in contact with someone that has Ebola

Is Old Shep steering the sheep by any chance

Could you explain the significance of the CDC's new flu vaccine contract?

Its the chicken and the egg here.

You believe that the media is following the path of EBOLA.
    I believe EBOLA is following the path of the media.

When this tread started EBOLA was in one area, and then the media said that certain countries were repatrioting victims.I said, at the time ,that this was dangerous because you are bring one country problem across continents . Bringing the thoughts and fears of EBOLA across borders helps it spread, and low and behold it does, shock.

So far EBOLA IS following the media coverage around, not the other way.(africa>USA>france)
    Just unlucky??
    Negligent??
    If you believed in consciousness you might see.
    Blind.

Switch off.

You believe that the media is following the path of EBOLA.
    I believe EBOLA is following the path of the media.
    So ebola turned up in America before any Americans infected with ebola were repatriated?
    That doesn't make sense.

When did the media report that ebola was in America before people were repatriated?

It would be more helpful if you stop answer with riddles are directly answer the questions I am asking you.

So ebola turned up in America before any Americans infected with ebola were repatriated?
    That doesn't make sense.

When did the media report that ebola was in America before people were repatriated?

It would be more helpful if you stop answer with riddles are directly answer the questions I am asking you.

broadcasting the arrival of a serial killer into a country and then wondering why your finding dead people ?

odd

• Advertisement

broadcasting the arrival of a serial killer into a country and then wondering why your finding dead people ?

odd
    That has nothing to do with the reporting.
    If the killer is in one place that's where he will kill.

Reporting that he is in another place does not magically teleport them there.
    That's not how serial killers or viruses work.

Just being afraid of ebola will not give you ebola.

Again, what is your solution?
    Should the media cover up the facts about the virus?
    Not mention the virus because it was just in Africa?

Could you explain exactly who the media is benefiting and how?

And can you point to example of what you would consider a normal level of reporting?

Advertisement