Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebola

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Odd that you would encourage someone to engage in something that you and Mr Cameron think is detrimental to peoples well-being

Thanks for the PressTv link

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

enno99 wrote: »
    Odd that you would encourage someone to engage in something that you and Mr Cameron think is detrimental to peoples well-being
    I don't think it's detrimental to peoples well-being. I was simply pointing out how people might justify or ignore the consequences of spreading doubt in response to a question you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Sky have dropped the Ebola story today. Will the disease drop off too?

YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

euroboom13 wrote: »

YES.

Can you explain how a channel unavailable to those in the regions involved could have any influence?

jh79 wrote: »
    Can you explain how a channel unavailable to those in the regions involved could have any influence?

Watch and see if it has an impact, I could explain but you watch and draw your own conclusion.

• Advertisement

Watch and see if it has an impact, I could explain but you watch and draw your own conclusion.

My own conclusions are that if the disease spreads further in the West and/or the situation worsens in Africa it will become more prominent in the media. If the situation stabilizes it will become less prominent in the media.

Chicken and egg excuse.

Fact..... Today (not tomorrow) the media reduced its coverage, Tomorrow we will see signs of a recovery, not the other way round, but you believe what you want.(or be open minded to my bold PREDICTION)

Why not be bold in your prediction and tell me I am wrong and things are only escalating .

Can you explain how ebola is influenced by Sky News?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My own conclusions are that if the disease spreads further in the West and/or the situation worsens in Africa it will become more prominent in the media. If the situation stabilizes it will become less prominent in the media.

Yes ok BUT re: western media - major global news stories will always be covered no matter the location. If this epidemic decreases of course it's going to feature less in daily media reports! Wtf. It's not like Africa doesn't have its own TV and print media - Media audiences in Europe / America are unlikely to have regular access to. Of interest Liberia appears to have extremely restrictive practises when it comes to media reporting with Liberia's government stating that journalists will need official permission to cover the Ebola outbreak under rules aimed at allegedly protecting privacy. Hiwever if the relevant governments are not forthcoming in terms of reporting the epidemic then no matter who is reporting ie either local or foreign media then the epidemic may become under reported as a result of such restrictions and may appear as less as a major issue than is the actual situation.

Can you explain how ebola is influenced by Sky News?

I can explain but it will be more effective for you to observe and see for yourself, how it works.

So lets see if today's reduction has an impact on tomorrows containment!

(Already I can see you saying tomorrow that illness containment success ,came before media coverage reduction. So ,I know I will have to keep showing examples of which came first the chicken or the egg)

Today's news ramping is ISIS and Syria/Iraq(let see if that increased coverage, has any impact, over the next few days)

Patients

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes ok BUT re: western media - major global news stories will always be covered no matter the location. If this epidemic decreases of course it's going to feature less in daily media reports! Wtf.

I know it is a pretty obvious correlation but euroboom13 is claiming the news is influencing the spread of the virus.

I can explain but it will be more effective for you to observe and see for yourself, how it works.

So lets see if today's reduction has an impact on tomorrows containment!

(Already I can see you saying tomorrow that illness containment success ,came before media coverage reduction. So ,I know I will have to keep showing examples of which came first the chicken or the egg)

Today's news ramping is ISIS and Syria/Iraq(let see if that increased coverage, has any impact, over the next few days)

Patients

Are you saying the news is influencing how people react to the situation or is influencing the virus itself?

Watch and draw your own conclusion.

I am trying to show to you the power of public awareness and its powerful effect on outcomes.

But you keep looking for direct correlation, its effects aren't explainable that way.

Watch and draw your own conclusion.

I am trying to show to you the power of public awareness and its powerful effect on outcomes.

But you keep looking for direct correlation, its effects aren't explainable that way.

Could you at least make an attempt to explain the mechanisms by which public awareness can influence an outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Could you at least make an attempt to explain the mechanisms by which public awareness can influence an outcome?

I would suggest he's hinting that the media is being used as tool to scaremonger people into believing that this 'pandemic' is not quite as it seems. possibly no more than a useful distraction to get troops on the ground or a reason to get certain vaccines into people. And now with the possibility that the job is done, the media attention will drop off and the 'pandemic' will miraculously be under control.

thats what i got from what he was saying anyway.

seems he wasnt far wrong :eek:
    Today, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said that Nigeria had been declared Ebola-free after six weeks with no new cases.

"This is a spectacular success story," WHO representative Rui Gama Vaz told a news conference in the capital Abuja, where officials broke into applause when he announced that Nigeria had shaken off the disease.

He said: "It shows that Ebola can be contained, but we must be clear that we have only won a battle, the war will only end when West Africa is also declared free of Ebola."

This year's Ebola outbreak, the worst on record, has killed 4,546 people across the three most-affected countries, Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Apparently there's a woman being tested for Ebola in Dublin today - so yeah, lack of media interest is not working as intended according to that theory.

http://www.thejournal.ie/african-woman-being-treated-for-ebola-in-mater-1735040-Oct2014/

Apparently there's a woman being tested for Ebola in Dublin today - so yeah, lack of media interest is not working as intended according to that theory.

http://www.thejournal.ie/african-woman-being-treated-for-ebola-in-mater-1735040-Oct2014/

its an "extremely low risk" case and the cops and fire service have said they're just following procedure as the woman recently returned from africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah, i agree. However it's good to know that there are strict procedures being undertaken by the emergency services here

Yeah, i agree. However it's good to know that there are strict procedures being undertaken by the emergency services here

100% agree

doesnt matter if one believes this outbreak to be real, fake or purposely planned, there's always a chance you're wrong. As long as the threat exists, it needs to be managed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

YES.

Just wondering, but the death toll (the official figure) was, as of saturday, something in the region of 4,550 dead and 9,600 infected. If in a months time the official figures reach, say, 8,000 dead and 16,000 infected, would you be willing to admit that your theory may be flawed ?
    I really don't mean to be disrespectful to you, but your theory sounds almost like a definition for "head in the sand". If you can't hear it or see it, then it ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Faktuu

Or is this another fear factor?

it exactly is as you said just a fear factor, it actually is pretty hard to get infected with that
    as you need to mix body fluids. and only in the last stadium it appears in saliva.
    so one could put hands in a bowl with infected blood and provided you have no scratches/open wounds you will be fine after good wash.

also apparently at the same time there are cases of black plague in Africa
    google it

Duiske wrote: »
    Just wondering, but the death toll (the official figure) was, as of saturday, something in the region of 4,550 dead and 9,600 infected. If in a months time the official figures reach, say, 8,000 dead and 16,000 infected, would you be willing to admit that your theory may be flawed ?
    I really don't mean to be disrespectful to you, but your theory sounds almost like a definition for "head in the sand". If you can't hear it or see it, then it ain't happening.

You believe what you like.

As the sayings goes
    "what you don't know can`t hurt you"
    "What you talk about ,grows legs"

The truth is we ,the public, rubbish these ideas but the powers that be respect it.

So IF the powers that be respect these rules(and they do believe me), you have to ask yourself WHY.(promote pandemics )

I don't care if you respect me are not, respect yourself, I do.

"Head in the sand" I started this tread to point out the stupidity of moving the problem from origin. It only became a problem in other countries well after this was pointed out. Which led to me asking was this stupidity/negligent or a premeditated fear plan.

You seem to believe we live in a stupid/negligent world , I believe its more deliberate controlled fear project.

The truth is we ,the public, rubbish these ideas but the powers that be respect it.
    But what if they don't?

And how do you know they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Faktuu wrote: »
    it exactly is as you said just a fear factor, it actually is pretty hard to get infected with that
    as you need to mix body fluids. and only in the last stadium it appears in saliva.
    so one could put hands in a bowl with infected blood and provided you have no scratches/open wounds you will be fine after good wash.

also apparently at the same time there are cases of black plague in Africa
    google it

It also comes from the sweat glands, so just by rubbing off and infected person, you can get infected. Also if they sneeze near you, cough or if you try to suck their eyeballs out. Ebola can survive on worktop surfaces etc for several hours. It's really not that difficult to catch.

King Mob wrote: »
    But what if they don't?

And how do you know they do?

The question you should be asking yourself is ,what if they do believe?
    (Answering your two questions only reaffirms ,what you already believe.)

The question you should be asking yourself is ,what if they do believe?
    If it is the case, then it leads to a lot of questions about the conspiracy that you've been unable to answer
    (Answering your two questions only reaffirms ,what you already believe.)
    Your position is based on the assumption that the people in charge believe in essentially magic. Then from that you argue that if they believe in this magic, then they wouldn't be doing what they were doing unless they are up to something nefarious. Therefore something nefarious is happening.

However if they don't believe in magic, then you have no reason to believe there's something nefarious happening.

So again, how do you know what the powers that be believe?

cure for ebola 'within weeks'

http://www.thejournal.ie/ebola-cure-coming-within-weeks-1738764-Oct2014/

now, whatever you think about this being a conspiracy or not, you guys that were on at him have to admit that euroboom13 was spot on with his prediction.

• Advertisement

cure for ebola 'within weeks'

http://www.thejournal.ie/ebola-cure-coming-within-weeks-1738764-Oct2014/

now, whatever you think about this being a conspiracy or not, you guys that were on at him have to admit that euroboom13 was spot on with his prediction.

How was he spot on?

Advertisement