Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free will is an illusion and the biggest con ever.

Options
  • 09-08-2014 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

From birth we are subject to the controlling factor of our DNA. We ARE our DNA and we cannot change that programming, it's literally who we are.

So we are nothing more than robotic machines subject to laws and programming at every level of existence.

Our personalities are simply creations of a simulated and "known" programmed reality.

How can the soul (holy spirit) that animates the human body be responsible for the bodies programmed actions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

People that believe this are always lazy mother****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

From birth we are subject to the controlling factor of our DNA. We ARE our DNA and we cannot change that programming, it's literally who we are.

So we are nothing more than robotic machines subject to laws and programming at every level of existence.

Our personalities are simply creations of a simulated and "known" programmed reality.

How can the soul (holy spirit) that animates the human body be responsible for the bodies programmed actions?

The concept of free will is complicated enough without bringing religion into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

So my DNA is responsible for the holiday I went on last month.

Wasn't a conscience decision by me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    So my DNA is responsible for the holiday I went on last month.

Wasn't a conscience decision by me?

Yes a decision you were always gonna make, it wasn't a choice, because it happened it could never happen any other way.

Why does someone choose to murder while others don't?

It's in their brain make up, nothing they could ever do was gonna stop them committing this act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you see somebody drop their wallet, give it back, ignore it or try get it yourself.

That's fee will. Not your DNA.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6 xupe 6048 essy

Time is just an illusion, There is no 'past' or 'present', there is no 'now'

There just IS

If you see somebody drop their wallet, give it back, ignore it or try get it yourself.

That's fee will. Not your DNA.

While others would not hand it back.

Why?

Cos they made a decision.

That's what free will means.

Time is just an illusion, There is no 'past' or 'present', there is no 'now'

There just IS

If you're being serious, I wholeheartedly agree. I've argued this point many times before. I don't believe time exists

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

If you're being serious, I wholeheartedly agree. I've argued this point many times before. I don't believe time exists

I too have argued this. Only a human concept.

• Advertisement

Identical twins share the same DNA, how come the do not do the exact same things in life?

Also, you can't break thoughts into DNA.

That's like saying DOGS ARE JUST AN ILLUSION - THEYRE JUST LUMPS OF ATOMS

Fee will just means fee to choose what we want. Of course we can. And of course our brain and mind choose that. THATS WHAT IT IS!!

Cos they made a decision.

That's what free will means.

And why would there be two different outcomes?

Upbringing?
    Past experience?

A scumbag who was dragges up wouldn't
    hand it back.

A respectable person who had a good upbringing would.

That's not free will, that's a pretty determined action.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Identical twins share the same DNA, how come the do not do the exact same things in life?

It's obviously more than DNA - there are environmental factors which each will encounter differently. The question boils down to whether the environment is also predestined. There's a case for it being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Obviously there's no such thing as free will (as in some kind of agency outside of the constraints of causality in the physical world).
    So yeah in that sense free will is ridiculous.

Unless you believe causality can be violated by some special brand of human hubris.

Fee will just means fee to choose what we want. Of course we can. And of course our brain and mind choose that. THATS WHAT IT IS!!

Think of a decision you made recently. Why did you make the decision you did? It was probably the result of dozens if not hundreds of different factors that existed at that particular moment.

If you could go back to that particular moment what makes you think you would have chosen a different action than the one you did take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Snowpavlova

smcgiff wrote: »
    It's obviously more than DNA - there are environmental factors which each will encounter differently. The question boils down to whether the environment is also predestined. There's a case for it being so.

Of course it's predestined, the universe is a big mix of interacting particles. There was only ever one way they were going to interact. The unives is ultimately a much more complicated row of Dominos.

That decision was a product of interact of molecules in your head, unless you have the ability to periodically change the laws of physics you were always going to make that decision.

Even if I did not have the means to do it?

DNA does have an impact on life, as does life experiences.

This Nature v Nurture debate has been going on for years, will never be a 100% clear answer to it.

Edit: you have a new recruit to your philosophy here Jack, someone has just joined & continuing your teachings.

Of course it's predestined, the universe is a big mix of interacting particles. There was only ever one way they were going to interact. The unives is ultimately a much more complicated row of Dominos.

To play devil's advocate - the effects of quantum physics may be an altering agent.

That decision was a product of interact of molecules in your head, unless you have the ability to periodically change the laws of physics you were always going to make that decision.

Spot on!

I think it gives me peace of mind knowing whatever happens was always gonna happen, just sit back and enjoy the ride!!

• Advertisement

Spot on!

I think it gives me peace of mind knowing whatever happens was always gonna happen, just sit back and enjoy the ride!!

Poor misunderstood Hitler and Bertie Ahern ;)

Spot on!

See, lazy mother****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Lad's it's eight on a Saturday morning. It's too early for this kind of thread. I am going back to sleep. Keep the arguing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So if we could discover the difference in DNA between those who would murder, and those who wouldn't. Then we could just do a quick test at birth and lock up people from birth since it's in their DNA. That'd be handy. Well done OP.

Spot on!

It's best to not to "sit back" though, take responsibilty for your life, the initial conditions of your brain have been set so you can do this.

I was always going to give you this advice. From the moment I was born a count down clock was ticking for the moment I gave you this advice. :D

Quazzie wrote: »
    So if we could discover the difference in DNA between those who would murder, and those who wouldn't. Then we could just do a quick test at birth and lock up people from birth since it's in their DNA. That'd be handy. Well done OP.

No it's far more complicated than just looking at DNA, You'd have to know how every molecule in the universe would interact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

smcgiff wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate - the effects of quantum physics may be an altering agent.

Quantum effects don't imbue someone with agency.
    They're still bound by causality (which is what matters).

And those effects would be random anyway (even less an argument for agency, no?)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

People that believe this are always lazy mother****ers.

And probably a little chubby round the middle.

"It's not my fault, my DNA predisposes me to be overweight and my lack of free will prevents me from saying no to an extra slice of cake and can of coke".

Plates wrote: »
    And probably a little chubby round the middle.

"It's not my fault, my DNA predisposes me to be overweight and my lack of free will prevents me from saying no to an extra slice of cake and can of coke".

And at the bottom of a career ladder

"If I was meant to get my dream job then it'd just happen. I'm predisposed to work this hard and my bosses are predisposed to give me the promotion, there's literally nothing I can do"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Who or what made you write this post? Your DNA?

So some people are born assholes and I just happened to be born nice?:p

Advertisement