Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free will is an illusion and the biggest con ever.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If I murder someone am I responsible then?or if I save someone from drowning it's nothing to be proud of?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If I murdered someone, I can claim that my DNA made me do it.

Would be laughed out of every courthouse in the land with that defence.

Judge would send me on numerous mental health studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

And at the bottom of a career ladder

"If I was meant to get my dream job then it'd just happen. I'm predisposed to work this hard and my bosses are predisposed to give me the promotion, there's literally nothing I can do"

Certainly not the case here sir!

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    If I murdered someone, I can claim that my DNA made me do it.

Would be laughed out of every courthouse in the land with that defence.

Judge would send me on numerous mental health studies.

Not really, ever heard of pleading insanity or schizo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Not even remotely the same thing.

• Advertisement

From your OP.
    How can the soul (holy spirit) that animates the human body be responsible for the bodies programmed actions?

So my soul being within my human form will still be punished for what I was preprogrammed to do?

From your OP.

So my soul being within my human form will still be punished for what I was preprogrammed to do?

Exactly.

Its a scary thought at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Did someone drop a few yokes last night ?

Spunge wrote: »

Or was watching Minority Report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Snowpavlova

kneemos wrote: »
    If I murder someone am I responsible then?or if I save someone from drowning it's nothing to be proud of?

It's something that was always going to happen, make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Of course it's predestined, the universe is a big mix of interacting particles. There was only ever one way they were going to interact. The unives is ultimately a much more complicated row of Dominos.

Quantum uncertainty very much disagrees

It's something that was always going to happen, make of that what you will.

Who controls this giant script that we are all part of & can I get a copy?

Spunge wrote: »

Nice response to a thought provoking topic!

Time is just an illusion, There is no 'past' or 'present', there is no 'now'

There just IS

When was the light from distant suns emitted so?

Quantum uncertainty very much disagrees

I don't think it does at all, We just don't understand the cause and effects well enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Nice response to a thought provoking topic!

It's a stoner thought and has no real merit tbh

It's a stoner thought and has no real merit tbh

Well google it and see if it is just a stoner thought.

Its one of the oldest debates ever.

I don't think it does at all, We just don't understand the cause and effects well enough.

Make sure to tell Mr Hawking et el

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Who controls this giant script that we are all part of & can I get a copy?

At the moment, nobody knows.
    No.

What is it about the unknown/unknowable and us humans.
    It scares the **** out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think "free will" is a bit like "spirits" in that it gets invoked to "explain" things for which we don't currently have an explanation. But just because something is currently unexplained, it doesn't mean that it's unexplainable in principle. Religions seem to me to be driven by a need for explanations of the unexplained at all costs, when it would be better to say "we don't know yet" and leave it at that.

We have all these interactions between ourselves and our environments (human or otherwise), going on all the time, building up knowledge and experience over the decades. So my conclusion is that we don't act randomly, or with "free will" that defies nature, just that our thought processes are extremely complex. All those inputs and influences (past and present) go in to every thought you have, thought you don't know it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

At the moment, nobody knows.
    No.

What is it about the unknown/unknowable and us humans.
    It scares the **** out of us.

Because we like to think we are in control of our actions and we control our destiny.

When in fact its not true at all, humans are afraid to accept this.

Nature has lived in perfect harmony for billions of years.

Only since humans has it really lost its way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I was discussing this topic of free will versus destiny with someone recently. As OP says it is possibly one of the earliest questions and relates very closely to the question ''Who Am I?''. Am I a self-determining material package on a possibly limited journey through time and space, or am I something far more unknowable? People object to religion being brought into the debate because people's understanding of religion is as a political institution rather than as a system of philosophy that seeks to comprehend some of the underlying patterns in an apparently vast cosmos, and our relation to these. Do we for example create our realities as Advaita (nothing exists except for Consciousness) suggests and as Quantum physics (by observation we affect matter/produce actions) suggests?
    At the moment, and it is simple a random thought in this moment by me (whoever I am), I think both exist. Both Freewill and Destiny. They flicker in and out. An oscillating reality. Will may exist on more mundane levels, shall I eat cake or not, shall I study or not. But in a bigger grander picture I see an absence of Will, beyond the One Will. the greater reality behind all things that both philosophy and quantum sciences are seeking to describe.

For the most part I sit back and enjoy the ride. Even the next heart beat is beyond my control. If I breathe out will I breathe back in again. I cannot know or control that. How can I say I exercise will when even such fundamentals are beyond me...hence destiny. But I can choose Consciousness as I breathe....hence freewill.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

This is the kinda stuff I hear lads spouting in the pub on a quiet Wednesday. Life is life. Stop analysing it and just enjoy living it.

I was discussing this topic of free will versus destiny with someone recently. As OP says it is possibly one of the earliest questions and relates very closely to the question ''Who Am I?''. Am I a self-determining material package on a possibly limited journey through time and space, or am I something far more unknowable? People object to religion being brought into the debate because people's understanding of religion is as a political institution rather than as a system of philosophy that seeks to comprehend some of the underlying patterns in an apparently vast cosmos, and our relation to these. Do we for example create our realities as Advaita (nothing exists except for Consciousness) suggests and as Quantum physics (by observation we affect matter/produce actions) suggests?
    At the moment, and it is simple a random thought in this moment by me (whoever I am), I think both exist. Both Freewill and Destiny. They flicker in and out. An oscillating reality. Will may exist on more mundane levels, shall I eat cake or not, shall I study or not. But in a bigger grander picture I see an absence of Will, beyond the One Will. the greater reality behind all things that both philosophy and quantum sciences are seeking to describe.

For the most part I sit back and enjoy the ride. Even the next heart beat is beyond my control. If I breathe out will I breathe back in again. I cannot know or control that. How can I say I exercise will when even such fundamentals are beyond me...hence destiny. But I can choose Consciousness as I breathe....hence freewill.

The actual thought processes you are having right now we're always going to happen just this way.

The actual thought processes you are having right now we're always going to happen just this way.

Well I'' think'' (ooops apologies auldgranny) that thought processes are affected by whether we surrender to flow or not. Actually if we surrender wholly to flow thought processes are said to stop. Obviously mine have not :D Like I said, both exist, will and not will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

bnt wrote: »
    I think "free will" is a bit like "spirits" in that it gets invoked to "explain" things for which we don't currently have an explanation. But just because something is currently unexplained, it doesn't mean that it's unexplainable in principle. Religions seem to me to be driven by a need for explanations of the unexplained at all costs, when it would be better to say "we don't know yet" and leave it at that.

We have all these interactions between ourselves and our environments (human or otherwise), going on all the time, building up knowledge and experience over the decades. So my conclusion is that we don't act randomly, or with "free will" that defies nature, just that our thought processes are extremely complex. All those inputs and influences (past and present) go in to every thought you have, thought you don't know it.

The last bit of your post (that we don't know it) is an interesting point of discussion in itself.
    Not knowing ourselves completely (as in not knowing every single thing that makes us do or not do something) is, some may argue, a good thing.
    Imagine knowing yourself completely (in the literal sense). First, I'm not actually sure this is possible (a computer scientist might be able to shed light on this- can a machine know its own complexity or does it need a more resourceful machine to know it) but also imagine a world like that. Christ. Maybe not knowing some stuff is what makes life liveable.

Edit: actually I'm off to the philosophy forum with this stuff. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

I recall having a similar discussion with my best friend many moons ago. She went on to study philosophy. I believe she now works with balloons in Australia somewhere. Believe me, she would find this introduction to her hilarious.
    I also don't believe we have free will.
    It's like expecting a molecule of water to know where it's going to end up when it is exposed to heat at a certain degree in a set container.
    Which begs the question, why do the lotto balls not always end up in the same place and get picked out in the same sequence everytime, when they are released into the drum in the same time/ space sequence every time?
    I think my physics teacher finally concluded that I was in fact thick, when I couldn't understand her response to that one lol.

In conclusion, there are too many variables for us to know or predict how we are going to react in any given scenario. So we have to play along and mull it over. Otherwise we'd just sit there waiting for life to happen. And probably die from starvation trying to decide whether to eat that piece of cake or not.

NipNip wrote: »
    In conclusion, there are too many variables for us to know or predict how we are going to react in any given scenario. So we have to play along and mull it over. Otherwise we'd just sit there waiting for life to happen. And probably die from starvation trying to decide whether to eat that piece of cake or not.

Well actually that puts some context on things. What if we are multi level beings? We have an instinctive part that is going to get us food, (reproductive)sex, sleep, survival, regardless of whether we ''choose'' it or not because this is our native instinct (animal level). Then we have a mental level that will have and dismiss thoughts (like about freewill or destiny) according again to our nature, relative to whether we are analytical, dreamers, artists, and so on. We choose pleasures here at this level, good sex, good fod, love, art and so on. And then on another level we are infinite energy and consciousness and at this level free will is not an issue because it is mundane and irrelevant. There is no differentiation at that level between the individual and All.

• Advertisement

Well actually that puts some context on things. What if we are multi level beings? We have an instinctive part that is going to get us food, (reproductive)sex, sleep, survival, regardless of whether we ''choose'' it or not because this is our native instinct (animal level). Then we have a mental level that will have and dismiss thoughts (like about freewill or destiny) according again to our nature, relative to whether we are analytical, dreamers, artists, and so on. We choose pleasures here at this level, good sex, good fod, love, art and so on. And then on another level we are infinite energy and consciousness and at this level free will is not an issue because it is mundane and irrelevant. There is no differentiation at that level between the individual and All.

I agree with the first two levels. Not so sure about the third level!

Advertisement