Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

thats the gamble your taking man. i mean it depends on the operational needs. they could send a load up to louth now given recent events. It entirely out of your hands like. If you dont like that maybe you should find something else. If i get it i kinda hope for the midlands cause i have friends up there so it wont be too bad...but im just as prepared to go to dublin or cork or anywhere they send me. Ill make it work....even if i have to by a caravan and park it up..ill do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thats the gamble your taking man. i mean it depends on the operational needs. they could send a load up to louth now given recent events. It entirely out of your hands like. If you dont like that maybe you should find something else. If i get it i kinda hope for the midlands cause i have friends up there so it wont be too bad...but im just as prepared to go to dublin or cork or anywhere they send me. Ill make it work....even if i have to by a caravan and park it up..ill do it.

To put anyone in that position in unacceptable though. I mean the wages are so bad you'd struggle to find a place to stay so the only way you'd do it for the time being would be to have lots and lots of savings or land yourself in serious debt.

Wage increase freeze till 2018 so 2 years of paying rent out of saving/loans will be tough for most in their 20's anyway.. What a horrible situation for anyone to be in...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wispa4

A question for anyone whos been there recently.hav you or anyone in your phase been to templemore and have kids at home.how did you find it? Also when you came out of college after trainig what where you earning on top of the basic once allowances were factored in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

A question for those in the college who went in last July 2015 (or anyone who may know). When are the July intake due out of Templemore? I'm guessing roughly March as that will be 8 months. I believe the July intake went in on July 27th so does that mean it will be late March when they are ready to leave the college?? I am presuming next intake will be April?

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Killinator

PCplod2014 wrote: »
    A question for those in the college who went in last July 2015 (or anyone who may know). When are the July intake due out of Templemore? I'm guessing roughly March as that will be 8 months. I believe the July intake went in on July 27th so does that mean it will be late March when they are ready to leave the college?? I am presuming next intake will be April?

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

We're out on the 10th March

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »
    We're out on the 10th March

Cheers for replying so fast! Really appreciate it.

Is there any word in the college of a date for next intake?

Thanks

Cheers for replying so fast! Really appreciate it.

Is there any word in the college of a date for next intake?

Thanks
    April or may I believe, prob April, when there's space after we leave.

Killinator wrote: »
    April or may I believe, prob April, when there's space after we leave.

Cool! Thanks for that! :)

Were you give much notice before going into the college?

Cool! Thanks for that! :)

Were you give much notice before going into the college?

I think it was about 3 and 1/2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 avm88

Something just crossed my mind for Reserves who have been successful and entered Templemore. Do you have to hand back all of your uniform/equipment before you move from Reserve to full time?

I assume at the very least you need to hand back asp, handcuffs etc.

• Advertisement

They do

Q for anybody in the college now - is there any word on a date for the next intake? Trying to plan holidays and it's not easy when you don't have a definite timeline.... any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Q for anybody in the college now - is there any word on a date for the next intake? Trying to plan holidays and it's not easy when you don't have a definite timeline.... any help would be appreciated!

We're told nothing tbh but the word is March or April

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

We're told nothing tbh

Like Mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Sorry to barge in but i'm just wondering is it a majority now of students in Templemore that have served in the Garda reserve? From looking at the information videos of Garda recruits talking about the job almost all of them served in the reserve.

The reason I ask is because is it becoming one of these ''unofficial requirements'' that they want at the job interview such as life experience and voluntary work.

Sorry to barge in but i'm just wondering is it a majority now of students in Templemore that have served in the Garda reserve? From looking at the information videos of Garda recruits talking about the job almost all of them served in the reserve.

The reason I ask is because is it becoming one of these ''unofficial requirements'' .

No, Many reserves failed in the last drive. Many will have a HUGE advantage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I presume they just picked out those people for interview as it just puts out the idea that the reserves is a good starting point for people who are considering a career in the gardai. There is still more non reserves in training than reserves but who knows what way the new campaign will go with the reserve stream. At the end of the day someone with diverse experience will always be a valuable candidate for the gardai. You dont necessarilly need to have specific experience like reserves to make a good garda so thats why i think there will always be a certain ammount recruited from the general public even in the future. Thats my opinion anyway!

I suppose with numbers alone they can never recruit a majority of reserves. A man told me the other day he applied for the reserves two years ago and never heard a thing back. It's not fair in my opinion to give the advantage to individuals over others as plenty would join the reserve including my self if they would just get back to us on our application! Only in Ireland is public service recruitment ran like a rat race. From what I hear in the UK the majority of new police constables have served as a PCSO or in the special constabulary. The only thing I can say is God love any boy or girl who's dream it is to be a police officer. It's possible but it sure as hell isn't easy. The campaigns get harder by the year if they run them at all!

The only thing I can say is God love any boy or girl who's dream it is to be a police officer. It's possible but it sure as hell isn't easy. The campaigns get harder by the year if they run them at all!

Not really, Infact it gets easier as time goes by. They have already dropped a stage for everyone, less people have applied this time and that trend is likely to continue, also recruitment is badly needed and with the election coming very soon things are actually looking good for anyone wanting to join in the future.

The reserve force will be a much smaller force for sometime given the amount of people who have left due to full time, study, work ect.. which means more people from the general public will have to be recruited to fill the gap.

The reserves are great but the recruiting time takes to long and according to the forum on here it could be a very long time before they begin a new campaign..

We're told nothing tbh but the word is March or April

Sound for replying. Did you get much notice yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Sound for replying. Did you get much notice yourself?

3 1/2 weeks or there abouts. It's hard to understand but you'll see it when you get here things change and until your told by 2-3 people it may not be definate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 forevergreen

Just got notifictaion that I made it through Stage 4.
    How long does one have to wait to hear back from Gardaí now?
    FIngers, toes and everything else crossed that I get through, when would the next phase be starting? I know from reading here, people are starting around March/April but is this all the same phase?

10,000 new gardai over the next 5 years according to enda kenny.. only if you vote for him of course.......

carzony wrote: »
    10,000 new gardai over the next 5 years according to enda kenny.. only if you vote for him of course.......

I don't think thats correct. I think he meant 10000 Garda AND teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants. That would mean 2000 new Garda a year. Trust me I would love it but by the sounds of it he still is committed to continues recruitment.

I don't think thats correct. I think he meant 10000 Garda AND teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants. That would mean 2000 new Garda a year. Trust me I would love it but by the sounds of it he still is committed to continues recruitment.

As usual the way he worded it was not as clear as anyone would like.. I find when talking about the civil service they (ministers) all seemed to have adopted this tactic..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

That's just politicians in general though it seems. He can promise the moon n stars if he wants. It doesn't necessarily mean he is going to deliver on his promise. Wishful thinking for 10000 new recruits

That's just politicians in general though it seems. He can promise the moon n stars if he wants. It doesn't necessarily mean he is going to deliver on his promise. Wishful thinking for 10000 new recruits

If 10000 new public servants is true they will have to build some big extension in Coppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 forevergreen

Lads meeting local sergeant on Monday, what should I be expecting?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Lads meeting local sergeant on Monday, what should I be expecting?

Relatively informal chat about your background and involvement in your local area.

• Advertisement

Lads can anyone tell me where the order of merit is currently at at the moment. Im from the band 2/3 having completed all the stages and im trying to predict when i will be called for templemore. for the purposes of fitness/when i have to give notice to my job and the garda reserves/book a flight. Im in the 190s on the new order of merit. Thanks.

Advertisement