Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I'll be keepin a lot of the student ban gardai company during them long winter nights, put it that way ;)

I'll put this out there so now, no thank you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    didnt realise they wanted cousins as well. Sure i dont think i even know my cousins names...let alone addresses...oh well

I'd be doing my best to find out, they ask for the names for a reason. Turning up without them on the first day won't make for a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Il be coming from donegal through letterkenny, Sligo etc if anyone needs a lift too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

so does the list of cousins have to be done or not?

EveAlex wrote: »
    so does the list of cousins have to be done or not?

Do what they tell you to do in the info pack

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Do what they tell you to do in the info pack

wording is a bit odd tbh

you could assume its only your spouses first cousins by the way it is phrased.......

wording is a bit odd tbh

you could assume its only your spouses first cousins by the way it is phrased.......

Would that make sense? To include your spouses first cousins but not your own? If it were me I'd put them all down, better them looking at the names than looking for the names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Blaireness wrote: »
    I'll put this out there so now, no thank you :p

The more obvious they fight it, the harder they fall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

All the best to those starting on the 8th. My brother was successful and he is over the moon. The bags are already packed and ready to go. Hope it wont be long before its my turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Upthedubs2014

I dont mean to rub salt into wounds but Mr Rothmans is right about UK pay. My cousin didnt make it through the garda campaign but he got through the PSNI recruitment. It was all happening at the same time. Anyway, is he glad he got into PSNI. He just started training and is earning £23,000stg (approx 28000euro). Once he is attested he will start on £26,000stg (roughly 31000euro). He receives additional allowances and all the equipment and gear he needs is supplied. I honestly wish i had applied to PSNI instead. He is thoroughly enjoying training so far.

• Advertisement

I dont mean to rub salt into wounds but Mr Rothmans is right about UK pay. My cousin didnt make it through the garda campaign but he got through the PSNI recruitment. It was all happening at the same time. Anyway, is he glad he got into PSNI. He just started training and is earning £23,000stg (approx 28000euro). Once he is attested he will start on £26,000stg (roughly 31000euro). He receives additional allowances and all the equipment and gear he needs is supplied. I honestly wish i had applied to PSNI instead. He is thoroughly enjoying training so far.

Does he enjoy checking under his car every day for the rest of his life for explosives though ?

Does he enjoy checking under his car every day for the rest of his life for explosives though ?

He has no car!

Things are no where near as bad up there as they used to be anyway and it really wouldnt be too much trouble taking 30secs to have a quick look. I think a lot of Gardai will probably be doing so too

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Best of luck to all of you starting on the 8th. I was in the upper end of the top 10 but my vetting has delayed me for september. Gutted. Congrats to all those heading down there soon, can't wait to be in your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Plenty of gards in a similar position nationwide - a police officers lot is not always a happy one!

and your on your scale from Day 1 - no training allowance

your also provided with every part of your uniform, no list of stuff to buy yourself

you also get a personal issue blackberry - each officer does

you do 6months training which includes Firearms, advanced driving and Public Order/Riot training in comparison to AGS's 8months with none of the aforementioned training provided

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

and your on your scale from Day 1 - no training allowance

your also provided with every part of your uniform, no list of stuff to buy yourself

you also get a personal issue blackberry - each officer does

you do 6months training which includes Firearms, advanced driving and Public Order/Riot training in comparison to AGS's 8months with none of the aforementioned training provided

Cannot compare the police forces there both on polar ends of the spectrum.

AGS has somehow whether by plan or by chance created a policing services by which the majority are satisfied with, IMO it's down to its lack of heavy hand tactics and sense of community and interactions with the public of a colloquial nature.

3fullback wrote: »

AGS has somehow whether by plan or by chance created a policing services by which the majority are satisfied with, IMO it's down to its lack of heavy hand tactics and sense of community and interactions with the public of a colloquial nature.

well my answer to that is -criminality doesnt respect borders

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

well my answer to that is -criminality doesnt respect borders

Well my answer is this is an AGS (Templemore) thread not a PSNI (Belfast) thread.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    This is a AGS thread not a PSNI thread.

cheers for that

im drawing comparisons to the training of both forces - an addition to a discussion brought on from a previous poster

have you anything to add/discuss/refute?

How exactly is that any consolotion to trainees who will be financially struggling?

Anyway, last time i checked all parties up north have given their unconditional support to police and are on the policing board. The majority of people support police. Can you honestly agree that everyone supports AGS down here, or the police in any other country for that matter. No police force/service enjoys 100% support.

No matter what side of the border you are on, policing is policing and crime is crime. There is no difference. And a wage is also a wage no matter where you are too!

• Advertisement

How exactly is that any consolotion to trainees who will be financially struggling?

Anyway, last time i checked all parties up north have given their unconditional support to police and are on the policing board. The majority of people support police. Can you honestly agree that everyone supports AGS down here, or the police in any other country for that matter. No police force/service enjoys 100% support.

No matter what side of the border you are on, policing is policing and crime is crime. There is no difference. And a wage is also a wage no matter where you are too!

i wasnt really getting into the wage end of things or the support - just the training and equipment end! since we're embarking on a similar path its interesting to draw the comparisons

but lets not get bogged down or too off topic!

No one will look as good in the PSNI as I will in templemore in my Speedos, also AGS have hotter police girls than the PSNI, and they are more up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Look at the number of police officers murdered in the North in the last 50years in comparison to the South. A horrible statistic but unfortunately it's the reality.

Look at the number of police officers murdered in the North in the last 50years in comparison to the South. A horrible statistic but unfortunately it's the reality.

there was a different force at work 50years ago but lets not get into it!

also AGS have hotter police girls than the PSNI, and they are more up for it.

are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

cheers for that

im drawing comparisons to the training of both forces - an addition to a discussion brought on from a previous poster

cheers for that

I refute anyone going off topic.

I refute anyone in this thread who may be directly or indirectly / intentionally or unintentionally be undermining the level of pay, allowances, standard of training by comparing AGS to other police forces.

Lads and lasses on here are starting their careers with AGS in a matter of days and thread title reflects that. Many are making severe financial sacrificies to pursue their vocation.

Given the choice i know the vast majority of AGS would not avail of a PSNI option.

So back on topic!

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I refute anyone going off topic.

I refute anyone in this thread who may be directly or indirectly / intentionally or unintentionally be undermining the level of pay, allowances, standard of training by comparing AGS to other police forces.

Lads and lasses on here are starting their careers with AGS in a matter of days and thread title reflects that. Many are making severe financial sacrificies to pursue their vocation.

Given the choice i know the vast majority of AGS would not avail of a PSNI option.

So back on topic!

its not off topic if a garda trainee compares their training to another force and other garda trainess engage in that discussion

how do you undermine pay? unless your the minister for public expenditure or finance of course

oh you KNOW do you? id love to see your evidence of this knowledge, i am honestly very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So, to bring us back on topic.

Android tablet I ordered arrived this morning. I already have a nice bluetooth keyboard so I should be all set for class, and it's a lot lighter than carrying the laptop around all day.

Still waiting on my judo suit from amazon but it's supposed to arrive this week.

Haven't looked for swimming trunks yet, but that's next on my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Ron DMC wrote: »
    So, to bring us back on topic.

Android tablet I ordered arrived this morning. I already have a nice bluetooth keyboard so I should be all set for class, and it's a lot lighter than carrying the laptop around all day.

Still waiting on my judo suit from amazon but it's supposed to arrive this week.

Haven't looked for swimming trunks yet, but that's next on my list.

Do you have a laptop too or do you think a tablet will be enough?

Need to get a judo suit this week. Payday can't come soon enough!

Advertisement