Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

JoannieG wrote: »
    Can't see how a BA in Applied Policing is much use when you're on a protection post at an embassy, signing passport forms or any other of the 1001 everyday tasks a Guard has to do. Policing is about common sense and no BA is going to teach that if you don't already have it. The best advice I ever got as a member of An Garda Siochana was to go in for the cup of tea and talk to the people. Local knowledge is king!

I agree - although the way it has gone now is that if you are stationary for more than a few minutes (and this is tracked via your tetra radio) someone is ringing you to see what the hold up is and to tell you to 'move on'... Its all about hi-vis policing - being on beat where you can be seen - not having coffee with an elderly person who maybe has no other person to visit them cos the public can't see you when you are doing that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

There is no tracking via tetra radio, stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Already looking forward to tue/wed night champions league games in Polly's with a few pints! Niceeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Dongaz wrote: »
    Already looking forward to tue/wed night champions league games in Polly's with a few pints! Niceeeeee!

And shur fcuck it the Europa league on the Thurs nite and the Capital one on a Monday nite ;)

D Trent wrote: »
    And shur fcuck it the Europa league on the Thurs nite and the Capital one on a Monday nite ;)

Haha happy days!!! Well not if your a man utd fan! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Haha happy days!!! Well not if your a man utd fan! Lol

I'll see myself out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Two questions for you guys. Does anyone know what the food is like in the college? Is it meat and veg style dinners or will it be more along the lines of rice and curry?
    Also, in terms of mens swim shorts, do the speedos have to be the brief style ones or can they be the tight short ones that come to the top of your leg? Don't want to buy them and be told I need the shorter ones again!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The sheet provided said swimming togs so was open to interpretation. Many on here have insisted that only speedos briefs will be acceptable but I doubt even half of the students due down have access to this thread to learn that fact.

They may well insist on them but I didn't buy the briefs and so I'll see what the score is when we're down Monday week. They may well have relaxed certain aspects of programme given much of the change highlighted this week in the media in relation to the course and classroom work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

The sheet provided said swimming togs so was open to interpretation. Many on here have insisted that only speedos briefs will be acceptable but I doubt even half of the students due down have access to this thread to learn that fact.

They may well insist on them but I didn't buy the briefs and so I'll see what the score is when we're down Monday week. They may well have relaxed certain aspects of programme given much of the change highlighted this week in the media in relation to the course and classroom work.

There was a piece on the news that Ron_DMC mentioned earlier. One of the superintendents said that they were moving away from the 1950s/60s disciplined-based approach to a more modern PBL based approached, which I think means that it'll be less of the strict military style training that it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Iv just a few questions if anyone could give their opinion I'd appreciate it.
    On your list of relations are ye going to include your in laws like aunt it uncle in law? (Iv such a huge family and have 80 people without including them as well).
    On the bank details form they have a Reg. No. Does anyone know what they are talking about here?
    And finally to all the girls? For our formal wear do you think we will need a shirt with a collar or will a round neck top do? (Iv no shirt with a collar and don't want to buy it if it's not necessary)

• Advertisement

r_k.com wrote: »
    On your list of relations are ye going to include your in laws like aunt it uncle in law? (Iv such a huge family and have 80 people without including them as well).
    On the bank details form they have a Reg. No. Does anyone know what they are talking about here?
    And finally to all the girls? For our formal wear do you think we will need a shirt with a collar or will a round neck top do? (Iv no shirt with a collar and don't want to buy it if it's not necessary)

Is it not just 1st cousins????

Is it not just 1st cousins????

It says a list of your relations up to and including first cousins. So I took it as aunts and uncles as well

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

briang747 wrote: »
    Two questions for you guys. Does anyone know what the food is like in the college? Is it meat and veg style dinners or will it be more along the lines of rice and curry?
    Also, in terms of mens swim shorts, do the speedos have to be the brief style ones or can they be the tight short ones that come to the top of your leg? Don't want to buy them and be told I need the shorter ones again!

Hey, The food is decent in my opinion. Brekkie is at 8am and on Monday its just cereal/toast/porridge/hardboiled egg. Then from Tuesday onwards there is a fry available so sausages and rasher etc... I Think lunch is from around 1pm and that varies from bacon and cabbage/curry/beef/pasta. There is also a very nice salad bar open for lunch and dinner with plenty of veg and salad stuff. Then dinner is around 4ish and it is pretty much the same consisting of a full dinner. I never had trouble with the food but it did take me about 2 weeks to get used to the type of food and the frequency of eating so bring some Zantac :p Also i got the speedo shorts that stop just above the knee. Didnt say briefs so i avoided getting them lol

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    Hey, The food is decent in my opinion. Brekkie is at 8am and on Monday its just cereal/toast/porridge/hardboiled egg. Then from Tuesday onwards there is a fry available so sausages and rasher etc... I Think lunch is from around 1pm and that varies from bacon and cabbage/curry/beef/pasta. There is also a very nice salad bar open for lunch and dinner with plenty of veg and salad stuff. Then dinner is around 4ish and it is pretty much the same consisting of a full dinner. I never had trouble with the food but it did take me about 2 weeks to get used to the type of food and the frequency of eating so bring some Zantac :p Also i got the speedo shorts that stop just above the knee. Didnt say briefs so i avoided getting them lol
    When were you in the college

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Your registered number is a number that is assigned to you once you join. You'll be given it on your first day in the college.

When were you in the college

Why would it matter? Just trying to help people here.

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    Why would it matter? Just trying to help people here.

Believe me It's in your best interests to answer the question. So are you going to answer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Believe me It's in your best interests to answer the question. So are you going to answer it?

Is it in his/her best interests? And why is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

What kind of nonsense is that ?

The user has posted here before that he is 19, my question is how could a 19 year old possibly know the quality of the food in Templemore for trainee gardai and what it consists of?

Unfortunately AaronMul1 is not replying to me at this time.

• Advertisement

Mod

Fair enough if you called him or her out but threatening a poster

Believe me It's in your best interests to answer the question

Is not on and won't be tolerated

-KERSPLAT!

Made a post but deleted it. I think having a discussion with this user in this arena is not a good idea. I hope my post about the food helped people understand what awaits us. I am however very curious as to why answering that users question would be my best interest? I think its a bit of an empty threat.

Lets move on

Thanks

Its 16 years since I was a student, but gave been back regularly and recently on different courses.
    The food is grand, always was, canteen has improved a lot over the years. Few choices for dinner, meat veg etc, prob a stew/ curry, there's a salad bar, and soup and sandwiches as well.
    You will be lucky as there are very few in the college now, back when things were busy you could miss out and just get whatever was left!
    Tea in the evening though( 5pm) leaves a lot to be desired! Left over boiled spuds from lunch, sausage rolls on a plate of beans etc...
    If we had a light lunch we used to buy dinner down the town/ or just get tea down town. Toasted specials in Polly's, nomm nomm!

As regards the swimming togs, yup, all the lads had to wear the speedos, hilarious!!

WiFi is pretty non existent in the accommodation blocks, but grand in the main education block.

Wearing civvys until you get your uniform, smart clothes is the way to go, trousers, shirts/blouses. You can wear suits for first few days but will probably relax after a week or so. Always smart though. When you have uniform, you can wear anything outside of hours.

Hope that's some help!
    Best of luck, I honestly had so much craic down there, I look back very fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Has any start date for new recruits been announced yet? Some have said this Monday and others have said Monday week?

Gerry G wrote: »
    Has any start date for new recruits been announced yet? Some have said this Monday and others have said Monday week?

Monday the 8 th is induction week then we start officially the following Monday.

quote="Gerry G;91975575"]Has any start date for new recruits been announced yet? Some have said this Monday and others have said Monday week?

Monday the 8 th is induction week then we start officially the following Monday.[/quote]

Gerry G wrote: »
    Monday the 8 th is induction week then we start officially the following Monday.
    [/quote]

Ah very good, best of luck to everyone going in. If I can offer one bit of advice let it be this. If you get through the initial training stage and leave the college without any member above the rank of sergeant knowing you by your first name, then it's been a success. Keep your head down, don't try to be too different from everyone else and just accept the discipline regime while you're in templemore because the time will fly by. If the instructors tell you to get speedos then get speedos. If they tell you that you need a haircut then go and get a haircut. Don't argue with them because they can make life very difficult for anyone who does. And again, best of luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Has anyone else put together a cv yet for next week? I am struggling with format and how it should be done. I have never had to produce one before as my previous jobs were based onapplication forms only. Any advice? Thanks

• Advertisement

Has anyone else put together a cv yet for next week? I am struggling with format and how it should be done. I have never had to produce one before as my previous jobs were based onapplication forms only. Any advice? Thanks

Have a look online at formats for c.v's. Usually first page is personnal details, education and a list of achievements. 2nd page should be a list of your work history of who,when and what you did in that job. 3rd page should be a list of your hobbies and maybe 2 referees to confirm your work history. Something alone the lines of that should do :)

Advertisement