Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Not that I heard of. I don't think that was ever the plan. Sure where would the put them?

Athlone Army Barracks - it won't be any time soon, but down the line thats where the training will be. Athlone army barracks is virtually empty and it has great facilties and is more central for the whole country... Buts the move is some time away yet.

No harm to get out of Templemore town - the locals HATE all the gardaí that pass through. I'll never forget standing in line in Spar and the shop assistant not even acknowledging i was there and serving everyone behind me first!! I was buying the paper!! The town only had something good to say when the training stopped and all the locals who built houses to house the trainees suddenly were left with houses with no income... Then they missed the gardai alright :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    Ah yeah i wouldnt mind bringing lads down, going down anyways, go through roscommon town, athlone, birr etc.. so could always meet people along the way :p

Will be easy to pick you out on arrival anyways.

image.png
    kjbsrah1 wrote: »

No harm to get out of Templemore town - the locals HATE all the gardaí that pass through.

This might have been the case 7 years ago but you don't know what you have until you miss it. Anyone running any kind business in the town will be happy to have 100 new customers every few months for the foreseeable and anyone looking for a job in those shops will be thankful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

mickaleen wrote: »
    An initial batch of 100 recruits - the first to be taken into the Garda training college since the government ban on hiring new employees five years ago - will begin a week-long induction course on Monday

They mean Monday week, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Ron DMC wrote: »
    They mean Monday week, right?

I did a double take when I saw that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

mickaleen wrote: »

Had to laugh at the individual who commented on the independent article that we will be getting a lot more than our UK counterparts. I considered the psni for a while -they start on £23000 + £3000 allowance. Translate that to euro and you'll find our UK colleagues earn significantly more than us.
    I suppose we will be dealing with plenty such ignorance in our future careers

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Would driving to co Clare be too much of an ask?

I'm going from clare if you are stuck

The Indo may well speak the truth but it goes against the latest document on the DoJ website which specifically lists current garda payscales, new garda payscales and then sperately a summary of garda allowances giving the impression that the allowances are not different for either group - only the salaries.

So while something else may have come up since, the Indo are using Haddington road as the basis for their story but the files provided by the DoJ specifically contain post-Haddington Road figures.

It's a major chunk - I'd hope it would have been documented in more official form if they were making such a change.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Pay
    Pay

All matters relating to civilian staff working in An Garda Síochána are dealt with by the Garda Civilian Human Resources Division, which is a part of An Garda Síochána and is located in Navan.

Garda civilian staff are paid from the Garda Vote, but pay and pensions are administered at the Financial Shared Services Centre in Killarney.

For details on members’ current payscales, see Garda pay post Haddington Rd. Agreement (XLS - 35KB)

For details on new recruits pay who are recruited after May 2014, see Garda Recruit Pay Scales 2013 HRA 2.31 (XLS - 20KB)

For details on members’ allowances, see Garda Allowances w.e.f. 1 July 2013 (XLS - 35KB)

Details regarding the payscales of civil servants can be viewed at www.finance.gov.ie

The address for the Garda Civilian Human Resources Division is:

Athlumney House
    IDA Business Park
    Johnstown
    Navan
    Co. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

''In the online tests, 328 reservists sat the examination and 236 passed. After a number were interviewed, 39 names were sent to Garda HQ''

seems a tiny number of reserves were sent after the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

The Indo may well speak the truth but it goes against the latest document on the DoJ website which specifically lists current garda payscales, new garda payscales and then sperately a summary of garda allowances giving the impression that the allowances are not different for either group - only the salaries.

So while something else may have come up since, the Indo are using Haddington road as the basis for their story but the files provided by the DoJ specifically contain post-Haddington Road figures.

It's a major chunk - I'd hope it would have been documented in more official form if they were making such a change.

It is gone along with a few others for new members.

http://www.impact.ie/12/09/18/Government-releases-outcome-of-review-of-allowances.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

carzony wrote: »
    ''In the online tests, 328 reservists sat the examination and 236 passed. After a number were interviewed, 39 names were sent to Garda HQ''

39 names sent to garda HQ, so can we assume that 39 of the first 104 are GRs?

thats a remarkable feat if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

39 out of 105(approx), I wouldn't call that tiny

Just like that I've 4 grand a year less than I budgeted for when accepting the job.

Really wish they would have included all the relevant and up-to-date information about salary along with the job offer like any normal company should.

Presumably they'll go through it all in the induction week - better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Just like that I've 4 grand a year less than I budgeted for when accepting the job.

Really wish they would have included all the relevant and up-to-date information about salary along with the job offer like any normal company should.

Presumably they'll go through it all in the induction week - better late than never.

Pretty poor, the lack of information throughout. However, in the current climate I just budgeted expecting no rent allowance because it was questionable since the start of the campaign.

Hopefully we get more clarification at our induction.

this list of first cousins lark is a hardship!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

EveAlex wrote: »
    this list of first cousins lark is a hardship!

There is none

3fullback wrote: »
    There is none

If you pass stages 4 and 5, you will also have to provide a more extensive list including cousins

3fullback wrote: »
    There is none

we must provide them on our first day........ its on the acceptance letter.......

i only put down blood relatives. Have done that from day one.

Aren't first cousins blood relatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

For anybody interested, hopefully will explain things, estimates given on occasion.

319657.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i only put down blood relatives. Have done that from day one.

Did u read the acceptance letter? It states first cousins to be provided on day 1

It is not form B that the poster is refering. Only aunts and uncles had to be on that

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

BRB wrote: »
    Pretty poor, the lack of information throughout. However, in the current climate I just budgeted expecting no rent allowance because it was questionable since the start of the campaign.

Hopefully we get more clarification at our induction.

I spoke with a member of GRA to confirm this before I accepted the job and they did - much to my disappointment. Although I always knew it was on the cards.. He told me that they would fight to get it restored in time but wheter or not they will depends on the economic recovery etc. He said it would be 2-3 years minimum before this would be reversed if ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A huge chunk considering most recruits will be sent to Dublin where there is an ongoing housing and rent crisis. If you are posted in Dublin and are looking for a place to stay in or around city then you could be spending a massive chunk of overall pay on rent alone.

It is a very shortsighted move. You would think people would have learned a lesson from the last time a pay difference was imposed between new members and long serving members.

octigen wrote: »
    I spoke with a member of GRA to confirm this before I accepted the job and they did - much to my disappointment. Although I always knew it was on the cards.. He told me that they would fight to get it restored in time but wheter or not they will depends on the economic recovery etc. He said it would be 2-3 years minimum before this would be reversed if ever.

Oh the gospel according to the GRA........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Did u read the acceptance letter? It states first cousins to be provided on day 1

It is not form B that the poster is refering. Only aunts and uncles had to be on that

are they doing background checks on cousins?

are they doing background checks on cousins?

They have asked for them but it could be more to do with stationing issues down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

just for the love of god manscape!

You'll need to be very buff to get away with standing beside me in my speedo's. If you're not ripped and tanned like me I'd advise you to stand far away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

didnt realise they wanted cousins as well. Sure i dont think i even know my cousins names...let alone addresses...oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

You'll need to be very buff to get away with standing beside me in my speedo's. If you're not ripped and tanned like me I'd advise you to stand far away :)

i never said anything about being buff...and tanned...Well i wish you the best of luck with your tan and ...buffness....Whatever good it will do you down there i dont know :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

i never said anything about being buff...and tanned...Well i wish you the best of luck with your tan and ...buffness....Whatever good it will do you down there i dont know :p

I'll be keepin a lot of the student ban gardai company during them long winter nights, put it that way ;)

Advertisement