Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

EveAlex wrote: »
    its not off topic if a garda trainee compares their training to another force and other garda trainess engage in that discussion

how do you undermine pay? unless your the minister for public expenditure or finance of course

oh you KNOW do you? id love to see your evidence of this knowledge, i am honestly very interested

Back on topic weeee mannn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Back on topic weeee mannn!!

no problem

sure send on the reference to your claim that I have asked for in a PM - dont wanna clog this up!

cheers

got a judo suit, got togs, got polish and brush, got tablet, got trainers. productive evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

almeraguy wrote: »
    Do you have a laptop too or do you think a tablet will be enough?

Yup, I've a laptop as well which I'll likely use in my room, but the tablet and keyboard combo will be a lot lighter and much handier for taking a few notes in class etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yup, I've a laptop as well which I'll likely use in my room, but the tablet and keyboard combo will be a lot lighter and much handier for taking a few notes in class etc.

Was gonna leave the tablet but reconsidering it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I refute anyone going off topic.

I refute anyone in this thread who may be directly or indirectly / intentionally or unintentionally be undermining the level of pay, allowances, standard of training by comparing AGS to other police forces.

Lads and lasses on here are starting their careers with AGS in a matter of days and thread title reflects that. Many are making severe financial sacrificies to pursue their vocation.

Given the choice i know the vast majority of AGS would not avail of a PSNI option.

So back on topic!

http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/rebut-refute/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Was gonna leave the tablet but reconsidering it now.

I wouldn't go rushing out to get one. I don't think iv ever seen anyone in college ever taking notes on a tablet. All they would be good for is if the notes were online and you could download them for the class but I doubt this will be the case. But there will be printing facilities for these notes and sometimes its better to have paper in front if you so you can add your own thoughts to it. Just my opinion though but seems like a waste of money to me

r_k.com wrote: »
    I wouldn't go rushing out to get one. I don't think iv ever seen anyone in college ever taking notes on a tablet. All they would be good for is if the notes were online and you could download them for the class but I doubt this will be the case. But there will be printing facilities for these notes and sometimes its better to have paper in front if you so you can add your own thoughts to it. Just my opinion though but seems like a waste of money to me

i think getting used to a notebook and pen would be better than a tablet! but whatever suits your style of study .......

r_k.com wrote: »

A tablet could be handy for keeping large pdf documents that you might need to reference. There are some good note taking apps too but nothing beats pen and paper for me.
    I'm sure we'll find out when we get down there what what the story is.
    I wouldn't go rushing out to get one either, we'll see what the story is after week 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Can we stop with the tit for tat crap please

KERSPALT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D1401

EveAlex wrote: »

got a judo suit, got togs, got polish and brush, got tablet, got trainers. productive evening!

Where did you get the togs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Most lecturers and if I'm honest I would say probably all will not accept anyone using a tablet down there and phones will all be either on silent and off at all times during lectures unless your expecting a very important phone call.
    This isn't any normall college lads you need to realise that before you go down.

Pen and paper is the norm of the job and like it or not you will have to get used to that.

Most lecturers and if I'm honest I would say probably all will not accept anyone using a tablet down there and phones will all be either on silent and off at all times during lectures unless your expecting a very important phone call.
    This isn't any normal college lads you need to realise that before you go down.

Pen and paper is the norm of the job and like it or not you will have to get used to that.

Do you reckon we could get by without a laptop/table down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Lads, ye can't say VEEE HICK-KILL correctly yet, or have learned how to place an order for a station SNAAAAK BOX never mind learn the Gardai way to use "da computor". So don't be getting ahead of yerselves . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yup, I've a laptop as well which I'll likely use in my room,but the tablet and keyboard combo will be a lot lighter and much handier for taking a few notes in class etc.

waheyy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    MOD

Can we stop with the tit for tat crap please

KERSPALT!

Don't you mean..........

KERSPLAT!

D Trent wrote: »
    Don't you mean..........

KERSPLAT!

Just cant get the staff these days....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Do you reckon we could get by without a laptop/table down there?

Every room in college has a desk for you to study at after your day is done, or a table to store your books on and to use in whatever way you want.

I had a laptop for down there and if I'm honest I dont know of anyone who didnt have one. The laptop will not be used at all in any of your classes for anything.

Its the time spent in the room where it comes in handy, you get certain things you will have to learn and will need to know exactly word for word for the exams. I found recording them and listening back to them was easiest way to learn, each to their own of course, I tried writing over and over and hat was useless for me.
    In other classes then you will need it(or a computer) for other things.
    I said before I would only buy a revamped one and not go spending mad money for one.

whens the first pay day? friday 15th?

this list of stuff has me robbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Is there judo suits on sale in the college shop or is everyone getting there's before arriving?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Is there judo suits on sale in the college shop or is everyone getting there's before arriving?

We wont need them the first week anyway but i think they do have them on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

http://www.thejournal.ie/templemore-garda-1640998-Aug2014/

Bit of reading for what the training will entail.

Redman my old friend........ we meet again....... :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

what level is the garda course? is it still a level 7?

Yeah a BA is an ordinary degree, level 7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Nice piece there on the 9 o'clock news as well this evening. Worth watching on the player if ye missed it.

Anyone reading the Journal piece I'd avoid the comments section, usually utter garbage

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Anyone reading the Journal piece I'd avoid the comments section, usually utter garbage

no do read it

it will prepare you for the venom your going to face from people for the next 30years

a personal fav of mine :-

"Ahhh “The Golden 100″, the chosen few, carefully selected because of their ability to demonstrate the skills, aptitude and personalities essential in modern day policing. The fact that most have immediate family of high rank is merely a coincidence…."

I currently have ZERO family in the force or Government - nor have I ever had in the history of the state...............

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The very best of luck to ye all. Didn't apply meself. I have it on authority from several Garda friends though, that you will all be expected to know the words to the Garda Anthem. You will be required to stand at attention a sing it before breakfast and lights out every day while training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oh wow man that article brings back some memories alright! Actually met a retired Superintendent there v-recently who reminded me of why I had initially applied to join myself (had forgot for so damn long what I saw in the force that had me apply all those years ago).

Wishing all new trainees the Very Very Best in your Training! Have no doubts you'll be in Great Hands in Templemore! Hope the preparations are going to plan for you all.

Best Wishes to All New Trainees,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JoannieG

Can't see how a BA in Applied Policing is much use when you're on a protection post at an embassy, signing passport forms or any other of the 1001 everyday tasks a Guard has to do. Policing is about common sense and no BA is going to teach that if you don't already have it. The best advice I ever got as a member of An Garda Siochana was to go in for the cup of tea and talk to the people. Local knowledge is king!

Advertisement