Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I have a spare key for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, got two from Nvidia; If you are interested, drop me a PM and you can have it. To keep it fair, 1st PM gets it.

Edit: And its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

...lads. Finally.

So long I have been waiting, biding my time, second guessing myself over and over. Refining my build. It's been rocky, parts went out of stock, suitable replacements were found.

Now, with a good bit of assistance (thank feck) and one 8 GB ram kit DOA - I am now writing to you from my new rig. I don't even know what to say or feel. Except maybe...how the feck did I tolerate boot times without an SSD??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

How about you post your ****ing specs already? :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    How about you post your ****ing specs already? :P

Edit: Doesn't feel right celebrating my build at the moment with so many people in ****e over HWVS.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Talking of SSDs just had a gander there at Sammy magician there to ensure my 830 was still ticking over ok. Only 6.8TB written in almost 3yrs, these drives tend not to fail until after 500TB+ writes. Mechanical drives are so f'cked if they cant drop in price quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ED E wrote: »
    Talking of SSDs just had a gander there at Sammy magician there to ensure my 830 was still ticking over ok. Only 6.8TB written in almost 3yrs, these drives tend not to fail until after 500TB+ writes. Mechanical drives are so f'cked if they cant drop in price quickly.

4.82TB on my 840 over about 2 years :D

Hadn't installed magician in a while so also had a firmware update, cheers for reminding me.

6.21TB over around three years here.

Bear in mind though, that's just for the flash. There's nothing to stop the controller (or anything else) failing before that. It might not last the projected 242 years... but it'll probably still outlast a spinner. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I honestly can't recommend Overclockers enough. I've bought from them many many times now and they have been fantastic to deal with.

A little while back I emailed asking about getting the NZXT S340 Source for my fiance as I wanted to double check a minor point. Within a few hours I'd gotten a response and a voucher code for an extra discount on the case too. Bought it on the Monday and it arrived Wednesday morning.
    The foums aren't exactly the most friendly or welcoming, but as a place to buy it's amazing.

I heading over to Liverpool at the weekend for a few days and I'm taking the car, I might pop into their shop to see how well stocked they are :)

Might even ask if we can get a boardsie discount :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

20tb over 3 years

meep

i guess I shouldn't have had my torrents downloading to the ssd for the first couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My heart is actually breaking seeing how some people lost out big time at HWVS going under. I lost my **** with them right and proper over a 60 day RMA, I'd probably fly over and destroy someone if they took a grand and told me tough ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It sucks big time. I think people will be reimbursed for it, eventually at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Gumbi wrote: »
    It sucks big time. I think people will be reimbursed for it, eventually at least.

Fingers crossed. I have found this site useful in the past same a geizhals or whatever it is called

https://skinflint.co.uk/

It seems not just HWVS are bankrupt, but Atelco too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gumbi wrote: »

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of anybody seeing a cent are slim and none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I ordered over a grand worth of parts from them at the end of May. Dodged a bullet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Does anyone know of a good hardware raid controller for 8 drives in the 100-200 range that will support 8 drives, doesn't have to be super fast. Second hand would be the best option with this price I'd be guessing.
    I have perc 5i / 6i controllers and covered the pins, I've had no amount of hassle with a few of these.
    I'm moving away from these after having so much trouble with them (tried 3 perc 5i's and 2 6i's) all randomly dropped my raid array after a few months use, which is a right pain and they don't allow a rebuild most of the time for whatever reason.
    I'm in the process of moving my servers off them and onto newer cards, just have to figure out which as I have a p400 but it won't run with my server :(. The server fails to boot with this card installed. The board I'm using is a superpicro X8DTN +-F.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I thought we weren't supposed to use hardware raid anymore :(

Yeah, a software layer might be better, especially if you don't need it to be really fast.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yeah, a software layer might be better, especially if you don't need it to be really fast.
    I don't believe software raid is supported by Esxi. Also I do need the performance of a hardware raid card, just not a particularly fast one as I run about 20 vm's on it. My server is 2 6 core cpu's with 139gb ram at the moment so a software raid would be a severe bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive an intel m1015, I flashed to just act as jbod (I use s/w raid), but it was reasonable money at the time (unfort out of stock currently on Amazon).

Ive no idea how it is for a h/w raid card however..!

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    Ive an intel m1015, I flashed to just act as jbod (I use s/w raid), but it was reasonable money at the time (unfort out of stock currently on Amazon).

Ive no idea how it is for a h/w raid card however..!
    From looking on my phone the last few days, I've noticed a lot of recommendations for that on other site. I think I will try get one of these and hopefully it will work with my motherboard and 8 2tb drives..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, just make sure its certified with ESX... but its been working great for me with unraid. Ive it in an Asrock c224 (or c226, cant remember), server type board

I think its so recommended, as its so cheap for what it is - the supermicro mv8's were similar, but hard to get this side of the water, and probably a bit old at this stage. Just to note, you'll need SAS forward breakout cables to go with it (if attaching 8x discrete SATA drives)

Wossack wrote: »
    yea, just make sure its certified with ESX... but its been working great for me with unraid. Ive it in an Asrock c224 (or c226, cant remember), server type board

I think its so recommended, as its so cheap for what it is - the supermicro mv8's were similar, but hard to get this side of the water, and probably a bit old at this stage. Just to note, you'll need SAS forward breakout cables to go with it (if attaching 8x discrete SATA drives)
    I have the break out cables already that I'm using on the p400 so saves ordering them :). I will check what it runs like with esxi 5.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deceit wrote: »
    I don't believe software raid is supported by Esxi. Also I do need the performance of a hardware raid card, just not a particularly fast one as I run about 20 vm's on it. My server is 2 6 core cpu's with 139gb ram at the moment so a software raid would be a severe bottleneck.

Create thick disks on each drive and present them to the OS for software raid.

A SSD read/write cache is far more effective than a hardware raid card these days. Jesus now days 200 quid buys you near 500gb of SSD, which would easily run 25 VM's itself. Back em up to a platter drive for redundancy and off you go.

Create thick disks on each drive and present them to the OS for software raid.

A SSD read/write cache is far more effective than a hardware raid card these days. Jesus now days 200 quid buys you near 500gb of SSD, which would easily run 25 VM's itself. Back em up to a platter drive for redundancy and off you go.
    No software raid for esxi.
    I have a 500gb Samsung 850 ssd for some of my servers that don't require redundancy such as my 2 mail encryption servers and Teamspeak server. One of my VM's by itself is over 1TB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i got one of those korean 27"'s aaaages ago and i've been growing sicker and sicker of it as time went on, because i was using it on my **** tiny bedroom drawer set/desk thing that had me sitting about a foot away from the screen

got a galant desk from ikea (and a markus chair, lovely) today and set them up as soon as I got back. falling in love with the monitor all over again. when i dont have to break my neck slouched down in a broken down chair on a 40cm deep desk looking at a 27" screen... it's actually pretty nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Does anyone know how long it takes CeX to test goods you sent in to them? sold a couple of games and components to them almost 2 weeks ago via the website, the goods have been there since last Monday and everything is still on the "testing goods" stage, tried sending them a email and heard nothing yet, been very satisfied with them in the past buying stuff off them but selling them stuff seems to be a completely different story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Does anyone know how long it takes CeX to test goods you sent in to them? sold a couple of games and components to them almost 2 weeks ago via the website, the goods have been there since last Monday and everything is still on the "testing goods" stage, tried sending them a email and heard nothing yet, been very satisfied with them in the past buying stuff off them but selling them stuff seems to be a completely different story

I sent in a game in the beginning of July and just got the payment today. They had the game for around 2 weeks before it even showed up on their system and still another weeks to get payment.

I happened to be selling a game that was brand new and still sealed, so while testing it would have still be possible, it still took them nearly a month. Sent two emails, but only got a reply on the second, that said they were looking into it. Then I got the payment.

Don't plan on using them again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

I do intend on buying from them again but if that's the case I do not intend on trading in again since there service on that end is piss poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Is anyone else disturbingly excited about Windows 10?

I remember doing the 7 and 8 beta/insider runs and not loving 8's layout, but from what I've read about Windows 10 it looks to be a great upgrade, especially as a gamer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement