Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

game4it70 wrote: »
    Bios all the time for me.In general overclocking buttons on mobo's and so some software will use more volts than what is actually needed.

What mobo and cooling have you?

MSI Z97S Sli Krait and a Corsair H100i

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Sonics2k wrote: »
    MSI Z97S Sli Krait and a Corsair H100i

Get that cpu overclocked higher ffs!! :P
    Great board and cooling so you should be able to up the clock to 4.4-4.5ghz depending on the silicone lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Think I'll be picking up the ACER XB270HU in a few months / weeks. Is there generally an 'accepted' time to use Gsync vs ULMB? I imagine using ULMB would be better for games like CSGO and Gsync for AAA titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Danger781 wrote: »
    Think I'll be picking up the ACER XB270HU in a few months / weeks. Is there generally an 'accepted' time to use Gsync vs ULMB? I imagine using ULMB would be better for games like CSGO and Gsync for AAA titles?

I set up Lightnboost on mine a while back using this guide, there was little or no blur to begin with so the difference was marginal; Though the result will be subjective-people perceive/are affected by motion/blur and tearing differently, I found the screens brightness took a major hit-accordign to Blurbusters lightboost 100% brightness is about the same as 30 % normal/non lightboost brightness level. Way more distracting for me than the minuscule amount of blur reduction gained. Saying this my screens are 3 years old-might be much better on newer models, and I would assume it would be more beneficial an IPS panel.

Nice monitor BTW, my next upgrade will be new monitor(s), if they could just release a 1440p 21:9 with 100Hz> I'd be all over it like a cheap suit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lads are reference AMDs a good idea? I've decided I'm going to get a new monitor, and pick up a 290 while I'm at it.

• Advertisement

Last reference AMD cards I had were 7970's. Total hair dryers once the fan got near 50%. Not sure how much they improved since, they look very similar-but would hazard a guess not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lads are reference AMDs a good idea? I've decided I'm going to get a new monitor, and pick up a 290 while I'm at it.

I have a reference 290 and if left plug and play it will reach low 90 degrees 90-95. I overclocked mine with MSI afterburner and also with custom fan profile as well and yes it is like a hair dryer. I forget how loud it was on stock fan profile as it is so long since it was stock but the temps as I said are extreme.

May have a Gigabyte OC for €200 on Adverts so if I can grab that it'd be a steal! Thanks for the replies lads, might go aftermarket if it's that hot Wotz

May have a Gigabyte OC for €200 on Adverts so if I can grab that it'd be a steal! Thanks for the replies lads, might go aftermarket if it's that hot Wotz

If you get it for 200 it would be pretty good.

What monitor are you getting 1080p or higher?

Just going for a 1080p. Been using a 768p(?) TV for months now and I hate the fecking thing :) Going for the BenQ I'm always recommending

• Advertisement

Just going for a 1080p. Been using a 768p(?) TV for months now and I hate the fecking thing :) Going for the BenQ I'm always recommending

It will be a big step up. I used to use a 24" 720p Tv years ago and font on websites would look a bit grainy. Once I moved to 1080p it solved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The 290 Gigabyte (while not the best aftermarket one) for 200 quid is a steal, and way better than the reference one.

I would repaste the GPU upon buying it just as a mainmaintenance measure so as to squeeze every bit of performance from it.

Yeah I've paste for the 280X and CPU so I'll just carry it over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

just bought a psu on komplett

how retro

hopefully it arrives soon, i picked them to get it asap. took 30 minutes of powering on and off for my computer to boot this morning

Used to be very convenient for collecting when komplett were out near Blanchardstown, pity that they're gone from there.

glynf wrote: »
    Used to be very convenient for collecting when komplett were out near Blanchardstown, pity that they're gone from there.

collection never even occured to me. i'll be in dublin and all tomorrow. poo

strelok wrote: »
    collection never even occured to me. i'll be in dublin and all tomorrow. poo

Yea but they pulled out of Dublin unfortunately :(

Edit: if you are stuck, RS have power supplies:

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/c/power-supplies-transformers/power-supplies-psus/computer-power-supply/

Might want to ring them to check what they have in stock. Doge pointed out that they do pc parts the other day, got some cables from them.

They're not the cheapest either, but good if you are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Check Maplins as well. They sometimes have offers on their PSU's and these days they mostly stock Corsair. I got a CX750W on offer there and it was the same price as buying online. Their prices on power supplies are also nowhere near as dreadful as they used to be even if you were to pay full price for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm pretty sure I saw some corsair power supplies in PC world the last time I was in

i was thinking i might chance a browse around town alright but i'm already dragging the mother up to ikea, i figured poncing about town on the off chance i might find a bargain was a bridge too far

i think the one i got on komplett is decent enough. Seasonic G-Series G-650 for 130 incl delivery. so it should do me a while. im raging i had to get it though, i was going to order a dell u2414h next week and that's been kicked down the road again. if the new psu doesn't fix whatever's wrong with my machine i will be most upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Got my ROG Swift from komplett back in February, good price and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Squaredude wrote: »
    Got my ROG Swift from komplett back in February, good price and quick delivery.

They seem to be upping their game lately, some decent pricing and delivery.

After sales is always going to be the kicker for any retailer, but noticing more people buying from Komplett lately. They were THE place for a good while, probably down to the handyness of collecting in Blanch.

Now that the HWS fad is over, might be a return to komplett, dabs, pixmania etc :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'll be sticking with Amazon, great after sales service and often the best price around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

TheDoc wrote: »
    They seem to be upping their game lately, some decent pricing and delivery.

After sales is always going to be the kicker for any retailer, but noticing more people buying from Komplett lately. They were THE place for a good while, probably down to the handyness of collecting in Blanch.

Now that the HWS fad is over, might be a return to komplett, dabs, pixmania etc :)

I wouldn't call almost 10 years of solid use a fad , they've been great every time I've used them and I hope they come back. The set shipping prices were fantastic for televisions and full builds. More competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I honestly can't recommend Overclockers enough. I've bought from them many many times now and they have been fantastic to deal with.

A little while back I emailed asking about getting the NZXT S340 Source for my fiance as I wanted to double check a minor point. Within a few hours I'd gotten a response and a voucher code for an extra discount on the case too. Bought it on the Monday and it arrived Wednesday morning.
    The foums aren't exactly the most friendly or welcoming, but as a place to buy it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

TheDoc wrote: »

I would stay the hell away from Dabs. They never have the correct number of items displayed for their stock count.

You pay for something and then they update it to say it's out of stock.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I would stay the hell away from Dabs. They never have the correct number of items displayed for their stock count.

You pay for something and then they update it to say it's out of stock.:mad:

Oh great...just ordered a new build from them :( They were cheaper than Komplett and a lot cheaper than Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll be sticking with Amazon, great after sales service and often the best price around

I'll be doing the same.

fletch wrote: »
    Oh great...just ordered a new build from them :( They were cheaper than Komplett and a lot cheaper than Amazon.

They are not that bad. That poster must of just had a bad experience with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Dabs are okay once you don't have to return anything then they are absolutely awful.
    Overclockers have been brilliant with all the orders Ive put through the recently and that's including returns - cant recommend enough. Their returns was something that was terrible but they have come a long way and its greatly improved.

Amazon is really good for getting quick orders I usually order from them with the two day delivery and get it within 24 hours. Any issues and a new part is shipped before I even return the old item.

Hardwareversand where fine but you would have to call to get good support if you had an issue. I prefer getting stuff locally in Germany instead.

I haven't used komplett in a long time their selection is still pretty limited. Might give them a go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement