Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

have the RTM version on a USB ready to go onto my next build, excited to check it out but it probably won't be till the end of the month thanks to CeX dicking me around =/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm sure I'll end up installing it at some point for DX12 support, but to be honest I don't really care that much. Some things are nice - most of the stuff that was good about Win8 - but Win7 is fine for most things I do.

I'll probably upgrade the next time I do a clean install... which is usually with a new build, so probably not until Skylake and Pascal have landed. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm looking forward to it, if only for the fact that there are multiple desktops and copy pasting in command prompt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I do intend on buying from them again but if that's the case I do not intend on trading in again since there service on that end is piss poor

I sold item to them before but I usually call into the shop and they give you a receipt and tell you to come back in a hour or two.

I found it handier than trying to sell the item yourself.

I'm looking forward to the Win10 release as well. Update to it first and then I will be doing a clean install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will wait a month or two before even considering win 10, need to wait for them to throw a few patches . I am still on gtx 680 so not much of a use for dx12. I need to see win10 properly in action first too, before I put it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i haven't been following 10 at all, why are people so excited about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What time are we expected to download Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

I sold item to them before but I usually call into the shop and they give you a receipt and tell you to come back in a hour or two.

I found it handier than trying to sell the item yourself.

Would be nice to be able to trade in at a shop but unfortunately there's no CeX in my area, Bray would be the closest but I don't drive so I taught doing it online would of been just as handy, ohh how wrong I was

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I will wait a month or two before even considering win 10, need to wait for them to throw a few patches . I am still on gtx 680 so not much of a use for dx12. I need to see win10 properly in action first too, before I put it on.

See, that's my thinking too. But I just know the moment it says it's available I'll sit up all night downloading, installing and the configuring it. And then being cranky as hell when the OH walks in to the room at 6am saying we need to get ready to go to work.

Stupid work and adult life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's not meant to be available for download until 5am Irish time btw. For those of you planning on waiting until the clock strikes midnight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    It's not meant to be available for download until 5am Irish time btw. For those of you planning on waiting until the clock strikes midnight :P

Its presumably build 10240 or a very slightly younger build, so everyone already has it anyways.

sure mine downloaded there earlier

sure mine downloaded there earlier

Not sure if a joke or you are in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yep, it should be already downloaded . It'll be in a hidden folder on C: drive called "$Windows.~BT".

Download is about 6GB for me. I guess MS will download a small file to kick it off tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What I mean by 5am is the extra files needed not that full whack download.

In that "$Windows.~BT" when I click setup.exe it goes ahead as normal but I cancel out of it. What are we waiting on at 5am then, just individual keys or what.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Yep, it should be already downloaded . It'll be in a hidden folder on C: drive called "$Windows.~BT".

Download is about 6GB for me. I guess MS will download a small file to kick it off tomorrow.

3.02GB for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm scheduled for a download and I can't see it on my C drive, just the standard Windows folder i there. I selected to display hidden folders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mine is only 89mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Countdown is here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/default.aspx

Yeah, I guess just the last few bytes will be downloaded then. Also any last minute bug-fixes could pushed out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Also my Windows folder is 57GB on my laptop!

Gumbi wrote: »
    Also my Windows folder is 57GB on my laptop!

How is that mine is 20.6GB

6.01 GB (6,455,465,546 bytes) It probably only downloads when you leave the pc at idle. I'll leave mine on tonight and wake up to it prompting me to do something in the morning

Any way to force the reservation icon? I haven't seen it on my main rig at all (and yup, I'm on the insider yoke).

Serephucus wrote: »
    Any way to force the reservation icon? I haven't seen it on my main rig at all (and yup, I'm on the insider yoke).
    http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html

Huh, apparently I have to have MSE (or IE, one of the two) installed for my system to be "up to date". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

Uh-oh. I think I got lucky with only my ram DOA, but I've started to notice a knocking/tapping noise, seemingly coming from my hard-drive. It's not constant, but it became apparent in the download/install process for a game on Steam.

Done a bit of research, listened to some clips and starting to worry it's the infamous 'click of death'. Running a SeaTools Long Generic test on it now. Short tests passed, though one did make the drive make a fairly audible and unpleasant whirring noise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

6.01 GB (6,455,465,546 bytes) It probably only downloads when you leave the pc at idle. I'll leave mine on tonight and wake up to it prompting me to do something in the morning

Mine is downloading now on the laptop as I use it and not on the PC which is idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hmm I've spent the last hour getting rid of the black screen on mine. No windows 10 for me!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Whatever you do, make sure you dont click the setup.exe in the hidden folder in your C drive. Apparently it completely messes up your installation and it fails.

My netbook has a folder that's 2.8GB (Win 7 starter) and my desktop has a 6.36 GB (4.81 GB on disk) which is running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Netbook first to see what it's all about. Mess around and see if it's worth risking the stability of my desktop for. Kind of need my desktop to remain in it's current state to stop me losing data, program compatibility. Can't see myself upgrading the desktop for a couple of months at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement