Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah, that looks like a best amd cheapest way of handling the situation. Still got some time. I am not planing on putting 10 on launch. I will give it a few more.the to iron itself, then jump a ship.

Now other topic:

Room mate building his pc right now. He put everything together. It starts up, but does not put out anything to display. Monitor just goes in to stand by. As he says everything is working amd fans spinning. No noise signals coming off too. I reckon must be just an issue of gpu or cable etc. I can't check it myself as I am not home yet. Just though to hear your opinion lads, before I see it try it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, he is dope hehe. It was something with displays as I was saying. His first ever build. I love that stressed out voice he had. You know the one we all had when building our first pc and piping the cherry? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I am the king at getting pissed off while building a pc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hmm...

Got a pop up on Catalyst prompting me to install a new version of CCC.

It crashed halfway through, saying something like "catalyst install package failure".

Now my drivers are all borked and I can't install new ones.

It's crashed my computer twice, once when trying to uninstall whatever broken bits of leftover driver shrapnel are left on my PC, and once trying to install the latest driver. It parrots the same error message every time.

I do hope it's not the card that's just ****ed.

It's given me a fair bit of grief since I got it last week.

Edit: "Failure to load detection driver".

There's a new one.

Managed to remove all the old bits of AMD software and tried to install 15.7 again, but now it's giving me that problem.

Anyone have any idears?

I was going to wipe the whole mess clean next week when W10 comes out.

If that doesn't fix it presumably it's something to do with the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gbear wrote: »
    Hmm...

Got a pop up on Catalyst prompting me to install a new version of CCC.

It crashed halfway through, saying something like "catalyst install package failure".

Now my drivers are all borked and I can't install new ones.

It's crashed my computer twice, once when trying to uninstall whatever broken bits of leftover driver shrapnel are left on my PC, and once trying to install the latest driver. It parrots the same error message every time.

I do hope it's not the card that's just ****ed.

It's given me a fair bit of grief since I got it last week.

Edit: "Failure to load detection driver".

There's a new one.

Managed to remove all the old bits of AMD software and tried to install 15.7 again, but now it's giving me that problem.

Anyone have any idears?

I was going to wipe the whole mess clean next week when W10 comes out.

If that doesn't fix it presumably it's something to do with the hardware.
    Could possibly try uninstalling via safe mode. Maybe do a system restore as one of your last resorts to try and fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would anybody think there will be a price drop on the GTX 970 in the coming months? Would it be advisable to buy now or maybe wait. I was supposed to get an R9 280x off a friend but that's gone tits up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

lertsnim wrote: »
    Would anybody think there will be a price drop on the GTX 970 in the coming months? Would it be advisable to buy now or maybe wait. I was supposed to get an R9 280x off a friend but that's gone tits up unfortunately.

Hmmm I hope so too, wouldn't mind an upgrade on my 750ti

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lertsnim wrote: »

I think Nvidia are seeing how popular the 970 is, and that it hits a very nice sweet spot i nthe market.

While initially I would have thought it would drop in price ( due to the Titan x, 980, and 980ti) it actually appears they might leave it where it is, allowing retailers to do the odd clearance sale to clear excess stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

I agree ^^.The 970 is very very popular and it sells so well that they have no need to drop its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What the hell is going on with Hardwareversand?

I know quite a few people who've ordered from them over the last few weeks and they've all been delayed or simply told it's not in stock and no idea when they'll get it.

One poor kid I've been helping has gone nearly two weeks since he even heard from them since he tried to cancel the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Sonics2k wrote: »

I know quite a few people who've ordered from them over the last few weeks and they've all been delayed or simply told it's not in stock and no idea when they'll get it.

One poor kid I've been helping has gone nearly two weeks since he even heard from them since he tried to cancel the order.

ah how German, get the money above all else, screw customer relations or tact :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    ah how German, get the money above all else, screw customer relations or tact :D

Could be worse, you could be ordering from Greece...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I have seen some people having a lot of issues recently and I have decided to get everything off Amazon for a budget build I am putting together even though it might work out more expensive. There has been a good few nice deals on Amazon recently thankfully so its not worked out too bad so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

tony1980 wrote: »
    I have seen some people having a lot of issues recently and I have decided to get everything off Amazon for a budget build I am putting together even though it might work out more expensive. There has been a good few nice deals on Amazon recently thankfully so its not worked out too bad so far!

Also glad I didn't go with Hardwareversand. The savings are not worth all that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MagTuired wrote: »
    Also glad I didn't go with Hardwareversand. The savings are not worth all that hassle.

I've saved a few hundred quid with them over the years, it's worth it for some! That being said, the current setup seems pretty annoying.

Windows 10 next week?

Wonder if its worth a sticky in advance to pigeon hole all the W10 stuff, can see an onslaught coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I think I'm going to start using Komplett more regularly than HWVS.

I do wish they had a bigger selection of Video cards though..:o

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I think I'm going to start using Komplett more regularly than HWVS.

I do wish they had a bigger selection of Video cards though..:o

Few friends actually mentioned Komplett have gotten much better in terms of service and pricing. They still seem more expensive then amazon and overclockers whenever I check, and they lost their benefit to me when they closed their collection depot.

I used to buy stuff from them and collect same day, which was brilliant.

Happy days, Scan shipped my new cards...at bloody last

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

...and I forgot to order Displayport cables, only ones I have are mini Displayport to Displayport.:(

Does anyone here know a bricks & mortar in Dublin that carry them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Any recommendations on a mouse below 50 euro? not for me, I've got an m65, but a friend of mine is finally ready to ditch his crappy lil microsoft mouse, so I'm trying to gather some options I can show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

glynf wrote: »
    ...and I forgot to order Displayport cables, only ones I have are mini Displayport to Displayport.:(

Does anyone here know a bricks & mortar in Dublin that carry them?

RS have them.

Cheap:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-video-monitor-cable-assemblies/7903855/

For some reason it shows a HDMI cable in the picture but its just a mistake.

Fancy:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-video-monitor-cable-assemblies/7406688/

RS are located here:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=services/local-branch

You can order it online and collect instore.

Excellent, thanks Doge. Never even thought about RS, they used to have free sweets on the counter as well...bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Maplin have them too but prepare your anus:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=displayport+cable&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Doge wrote: »
    Maplin have them too but prepare your anus:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=displayport+cable&x=0&y=0

"Free Delivery"

They'd be some lads to charge a delivery on top of a £25 cable!

Buying anything in Maplins is ludicrous, or should that be buying anything in Maplins require lubricant..

Cheeky bastards wanted €30 for a DVI to HDMI last time I was there :eek:

I'll go with the RS ones, will have to be 3M as my monitors are a bit away from the PC.

IIRC Displayport 1.2 is backwards compatible, Would like cables with larger CSA than 30AWG, but happy I won't be looking at two GPU's unused for a weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My Asus ROG Swift just died!
    Started up my PC and the screen didn't even power on, about two hours later it comes on and won't start up again.

Apparently it's an issue with the PSU so I'll have to RMA it. Anyone dealt with Asus in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

My Asus ROG Swift just died!
    Started up my PC and the screen didn't even power on, about two hours later it comes on and won't start up again.

Apparently it's an issue with the PSU so I'll have to RMA it. Anyone dealt with Asus in Ireland?

took them ****ing ages to respond when I rma'd my motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The PSU fried the screen? Or is the power brick built into that screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Try and deal with the retailer as Asus rma is slow afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement