Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Cheers! So a green drive would probably be a decent choice for storing TV shows, movies etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup, Green would be fine. If it's more important stuff - family photos, etc. - then spring for a Red, but for that sort of thing there should be a backup anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Great, I won't have anything installed on it per se, so wouldn't need quick access times or anything. That's my line of thinking anyway, thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Also different warranty periods http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
    WD purple 3 year
    WD Black 5 year
    WD Blue 3 year
    WD Green 3 year
    WD Red 3 year
    WD Red Pro 5 year
    WD RE 5 year
    WD SE 5 year
    Mean time before failure is over a million hours for the last two I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well lads, my brother is in the states for a few months; I may take the opportunity to buy something over there via him. Any ideas? My general PC setup is fine and don't want to spend more than a hundred quid.

A few months ago this would have been a golden opportunity as the dollar was so much weaker vs the euro, but even now I'm sure there are decent deals to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SSD, Mouse or keyboard are the only items south of €100 I'd bother with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Best buy & Newegg-they can have some decent daily deals. Amazon US is worth keeping an eye on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If there's a Microcenter near him they sometimes have amazingly good deals.

Hi guys just a quick one, didn't see the point in a new thread for this one.

About to pull the trigger on a set of Gigaworks T20 spakers (72 delivered unless someone knows a cheaper place) just wondering are they still considered to be the one the best in that price range? T40's are around 125 but it's a bit more than I wish to spend :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hmmm..

After a bit of fiddling I've managed to get my Fury set up.

Unfortunately, my Dual-DVI screen isn't getting detected.

They have an active Dual-DVI to Displayport adapter but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have another adapter - Dual-DVI to HDMI, but that doesn't seem to work either, and with only 1 HDMI input on the card I can't use my other screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

can you get a display on one screen at a time or does the displayport one not work at all?

Gbear wrote: »
    Hmmm..

After a bit of fiddling I've managed to get my Fury set up.

Unfortunately, my Dual-DVI screen isn't getting detected.

They have an active Dual-DVI to Displayport adapter but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have another adapter - Dual-DVI to HDMI, but that doesn't seem to work either, and with only 1 HDMI input on the card I can't use my other screen.

Try rebooting with only the DP > DVI attached, no HDMI for a second screen etc. read that Fury does not support HDMI 2.0.

glynf wrote: »
    Try rebooting with only the DP > DVI attached, no HDMI for a second screen etc. read that Fury does not support HDMI 2.0.

Well I currently have some sort of HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI input (normally my 2nd screen but now my only working one), and I have the other screen plugged in via the adaptor.

I'll give it a whirl anyway and see.

Couple of other things:

Check if Catalyst Control Centre detects the DP > DVI connected monitor, open CCC and then connect it; it should appear on the tab where you configure multiple displays (not sure what its called, been a while since I played with CCC)

Do you get the BIOS loading screen?

Try booting in safe mode-lower res might work if its a dodgy adapter

Might be a driver issue, maybe try older or beta drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Alright lads, got a second ssd on the cheap on ebay. When I connect it, my system will loop on the bios splash screen and windows won't load, when I disconnect it its fine....any suggestions? I can't actually get into my bios when it's connected either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Alright lads, got a second ssd on the cheap on ebay. When I connect it, my system will loop on the bios splash screen and windows won't load, when I disconnect it its fine....any suggestions? I can't actually get into my bios when it's connected either.

Have you tried with nothing but the new SSD connected

I currently have 1 HDMI plugged straight into the motherboard (my working screen) and 1 DVI-D to HDMI plugged into my GPU (it only has 1 HDMI input).

With the HDMI adapter, my other monitor isn't on standby anymore and catalyst and windows kinda detect it, but it's still blank, I can't change the resolution and a few of the options are greyed out.

Bleugh.

I have a few quid in the bank. If there's just some lack of compatibility with my screen because it only has a DVI-D, I'd be fairly happy to get a new Freesync monitor, but I'd rather wait a little while before taking such drastic action.

I'll keep tinkering for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Have you tried with nothing but the new SSD connected

I get "No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility"... bad drive? I might try it in a different system

I just did some googling with about the displayport adaptor.
    Edit: It's a biz-link KS10009-131

Apparently it's not an active adaptor. Could that be the issue?

Wouldn't explain the HDMI adaptor, but that has no markings on it so I haven't a notion what sort of adaptor it is. It might be the same thing.

I just did some googling with about the displayport adaptor.
    Edit: It's a biz-link KS10009-131

Apparently it's not an active adaptor. Could that be the issue?

Wouldn't explain the HDMI adaptor, but that has no markings on it so I haven't a notion what sort of adaptor it is. It might be the same thing.

Could be but passive should work with <120 hz. There may also be a conflict between the mobo igpu and the fury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What inputs do both monitors have?

ED E wrote: »
    What inputs do both monitors have?

One's a TV with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 VGA.

1's a Korean WQHD, so it only has a DVI-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One's a TV with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 VGA.

1's a Korean WQHD, so it only has a DVI-D.

Ahhh. Some of the XStars have 3 way input, but the singles tend to have slightly lower input lag AFAIK.

It probably will need to be active. Any connection with bi-directional comms usually do.

ED E wrote: »
    Ahhh. Some of the XStars have 3 way input, but the singles tend to have slightly lower input lag AFAIK.

It probably will need to be active. Any connection with bi-directional comms usually do.

The monitor audio being the other direction?

It seems like a stupid reason for it not to work, given how rubbish and irrelevant monitor-mounted speakers are.

However, that does leave me puzzled as to why the HDMI adaptor kinda works - I would've thought it'd gave the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

lads im pulling my hair out here. got the bsod thread exception not hndled error (wpprecorder.sys) uninstalled graphics driver, system restored it back to the day i got the pc done but still not fixed. any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lads im pulling my hair out here. got the bsod thread exception not hndled error (wpprecorder.sys) uninstalled graphics driver, system restored it back to the day i got the pc done but still not fixed. any suggestions?

Look at the blue screen dump to find out what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I currently have 1 HDMI plugged straight into the motherboard (my working screen) and 1 DVI-D to HDMI plugged into my GPU (it only has 1 HDMI input).

It's been a few years since working with either, but I was always under the impression that it was onboard graphics or discrete graphics, not both.

It's been a few years since working with either, but I was always under the impression that it was onboard graphics or discrete graphics, not both.

Only have 1 hdmi slot on the card.

Tried it with them both plugged into card - 1)hdmi and 2)dvi-d to displayport.
    Tried the dvi-d with a hdmi and displayport adaptors on its own.

No combination worked.

Just said **** it and ordered an active adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Look at the blue screen dump to find out what caused it.

dmp%20file_zpsccxse5zv.jpg

mean anything to anyone?? P.c. is built less than two months so it's annoying the **** out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

HIDCLASS.SYS ( HID means Human Interface Device) usually means some kind of driver error associated with a USB peripheral , get a new mouse , keyboard , external hdd , game controller recently?

you have to dig into the Dump or the kernel-dump file to find the offender

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement