Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A bit let down by the Amazon Prime sale. Was hoping to snag the NZXT S340 for the OH but looks like it won't go on sale. Life goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well lads, received my monitor yesterday, very happy with it. Paid 210 pounds for it, but was annoyed to see price drop a few times in last week while it was in transit. It now sits at 165 pounds!

Have I a leg to stand on if I shoot in an email asking for some compensation? I could theoretically just return it for a full refund and then buy the monitor for the reduced price and pocket the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Gumbi wrote: »
    Have I a leg to stand on if I shoot in an email asking for some compensation? I could theoretically just return it for a full refund and then buy the monitor for the reduced price and pocket the difference...

Yes. If you bought from Amazon, they'll usually honour this. Other places probably will as well, though you might have to push a bit first. What monitor did you get?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yes. If you bought from Amazon, they'll usually honour this. Other places probably will as well, though you might have to push a bit first. What monitor did you get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HZF2JWA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

This one. Getting my taster of high refresh rate gaming now :) Was happy woth the price originally, but 165 is a superb price, it's 24 inches as is, so the 144hz refresh rate is just icing on the cake.

Just to confirm, they'll refund the difference into my account when I inform them of it?

Thanks! Wouod be aweskme to get 60 euro back.

Nice. How are you liking 144Hz? Worth thinking about for a 60Hz user? (Who's not that competitive, but appreciates nice things)

• Advertisement

Nice. How are you liking 144Hz? Worth thinking about for a 60Hz user? (Who's not that competitive, but appreciates nice things)

Only got it yesterday so haven't played around with it much. Got a new job and had to do SOMETHING with my firdt paycheck, and monitor was the only thing in my systen due an upgrade, and even then it was a push to convince myself of it :P

Going from 21.5inch to 24inches is a fairly big difference, and the colours are great. As far as the high refresh rate goes, I'll know more soonish, but a friend swears by it.

As an aside, drivers for both red and green seem to idle improperly at 144hz (mem clocks run at max and card idles at 44 instead of 30 degrees). An easy fix is just to reduce hz to 120 at desktop when not gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

New place for the off topic thread!

http://www.adverts.ie/8422648

:rolleyes:

I was wondering if anyone from Boards would catch that. Meant to stick it up on the thread actually, one sec...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Wtf is going on there? They have to be trolling you. Any of your mates got that sort of sense of humour?

Nope, definitely no-one I know. Reported a couple of the posts already, nothing yet.

IS €300 for a 780 unreasonable? I didn't look into it much. It was €320, expecting around 280 or so after Adverts tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nope, definitely no-one I know. Reported a couple of the posts already, nothing yet.

IS €300 for a 780 unreasonable? I didn't look into it much. It was €320, expecting around 280 or so after Adverts tax.

Even the Palit one is €380 new it seems. If it matches a 970 then €280-300 is decent enough second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Sold mine for €250 to my brother, would of put it up for around €300 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Quickly looking into it, new and unused with a warranty (I assume the RMA comes with a new warranty), €300 is reasonable. It is essentially a 970 (tiny bit slower, but my reference isn't superclocked) looking at some benchmarks so comparing price to a reference 970 is about €330 (A proper 970 with custom cooler goes up as far as €390). Maybe a little on the high side but this is adverts. You expect to haggle/get haggled/haggle some more.

Reference:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1036?vs=1355

Thanks lads. Pretty much in line with the brief look I took before throwing it up.

Adverts really has gotten worse recently. I actually made my first Done Deal ad because of this.

Aye, the keyboard warrior is strong with those guys. He could have just made his offer, explained it in much fewer words why he thought it was worth that much and left it at that, but no, gotta go ****ting up the ad :P Would swear they actually knew something the way they went on :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Adverts has gotten worse the last while, loads of idiots low balling, offering swaps even though your ad clearly says none wanted...its a veritable donkey derby at times. How do you find done deal? There's also buy and sell and Gumtree.. Craigs list never took off here from what I can tell.

Waiting on my new cards to land before I sell my 780's, not looking forward to that.

Done Deal seems fine, though nowhere near as big as Adverts, at least not for tech stuff, from what I've seen. I'll give B&S and Gumtree a look as well, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I had my PC on adverts for a week with no offers, about 4 hours after I put it on DoneDeal it was sold :pac: Wouldn't underestimate it

Card is now on Adverts, Gumtree, Buy and Sell, and Done Deal. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Good stuff, will go with done deal and see how it goes.

Now if Scan could please hurry the f**k up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Did someone say a B&U trading thread..................

Won't be a thing, I don't think. It would be nice if it was, but pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deejer wrote: »
    Did someone say a B&U trading thread..................

Adverts is a money earner so thats unlikely to happen. We used to have a good buying and selling forum on boards but it was all shut down transferred to Adverts. I think a large problem with adverts is the lack of moderation. After it grew from a busy social orientated model towards a very popular revenue focused model its mod base didn't expand with it. And thats understandable, since there is no benefit from being a adverts mod. It's been a long time since I bothered with it, buying or selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Redmond can take a breath now.
    According to The Verge’s Tom Warren, Windows 10 is done, having reached RTM status with build number 10240.

Damn thing still ran like ass on my Surface, and it refuses to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Damn thing still ran like ass on my Surface, and it refuses to go away.

As in you cant downgrade?

Aye. Recovery USB fails with an unknown error, no updates to uninstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Hey guys can anyone recommend a good high capacity internal hard drive? 3TB-4TB. I'm not really too sure on the differences between red, green, blue, black etc. Thanks!

Green = Slowish, but power friendly. Great for media that isn't regularly accessed. Large capacity.
    Red = NAS drive, optimised for Network Attached Storage solutions. Large capacity.
    Blue = Standard, the most used and recommended here for Desktop. Average capacity.
    Black = Enthusiast, usually faster access, but not really of any great benefit for an average consumer over a green.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Desktop-inch-Internal-Drive/dp/B00EHBEUZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437062261&sr=8-2&keywords=wd+green

• Advertisement

Blue drives are your standard, all-round good drive.
    Black drives are faster spinning, performance drives, but pretty much not worth the money given SSDs and hybrid drives.
    Greens are a little slower, but quieter, and go up to much higher capacities. (6TB, vs. [I think] 1TB with Blues)
    Reds are essentially more reliable Greens.
    Purples are sort of like Reds, but they're (supposedly) optimised more for writes than reads.

I use a Green a my storage drive (games, etc.) and Reds in my server. All performing very well. What are you looking to use this one for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement