Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Headshot wrote: »
    Many getting windows 10 on release?

I will. As is my tradition every time a new version of windows comes out I get it except for Vista never got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Im still waiting to win the windows 10 raffle.

****ing joke compared to the free release of Mavericks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill also get it. Hopefully there wont be issues with drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Many getting windows 10 on release?

Meeeeeee. Running technical preview on my laptop for the past year and recently running 10 on my gaming pc via virtualbox and all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apparently there's some new API that handles GPU drivers and already it appears that it significantly improves performance in games.

So I'll be jumping ship pretty early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Woohoo I got the upgrade offer with the help of this tool:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-icon-if-its-missing/

Had KB3035583 installed already but didnt know you need KB2952664 installed also til now.

Quick Method #1 made the white windows logo appear in the System Tray immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The only thing I hate about upgrade version of Windows is the windows.old folder. Afaik you cannot delete it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The only thing I hate about upgrade version of Windows is the windows.old folder. Afaik you cannot delete it.

Can't delete the directory directly but you can zap it, with the "Disk Cleanup" utility I think (or something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yup, start the disk cleanup tool (the standard windows one). Let get to the checkbox screen after the loading bar finishes. You won't see the windows.old folder being there for deletion, but there should be a link to add windows utilities (or something similar) to the cleanup. It will do it's loading bar thing again and then you will see the large old windows version folder in the list. Just tick it and run the cleanup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'll move to windows 10 straight away I'd say. Can we do a clean install through the reverse your upgrade yoke? I haven't clicked reserve yet, but there's no need before the day is there really? It just predownloads it to lower the demand on their servers when it goes live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Can we do a clean install through the reverse your upgrade yoke?

On windows weekly they say said that after you have done the upgrade, there will be a way to do a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

When the technical preview first became available I installed it, but attempting to run most games seemed to make the computer freeze up so I uninstalled. Hopefully the finished product will perform better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll be day one adopter. Was a bit "meh" after doing a lot of SSD cleanup and ****, and the tought of having a clean C drive annoyed me. But I guess it will be worth it in the long run. so will do the upgrade and then clean install.

got my notification thingy a while back after running all the updates, then found I'd a dodgy windows key. Got a new one must actually get around to putting it in.

All in all excited for it, still on Windows 7 and have had no hands on with 8 or 10, so it looks a dramatic leap. All the early indication is its the lowest footprint OS Microsoft has ever made, and there is some mild performance boosts across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Had a look at my mobo drivers and no option for windows 10 yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well lads, anyone got any experience with An Poat delivering Amazon packages? Have a monitor scheduled to arrive today (ordered last monday/tuesday), and according to An Post it left Dublin a few minutes ago and is "on route to customer". Does this mean it'll arrive today?

Do An Post deliver from 4-6 usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had a look at my mobo drivers and no option for windows 10 yet....

It should be able to pull 7/8 drivers of its own accord anyways. Try install in on a spare HDD in that machine if you want to test.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    Well lads, anyone got any experience with An Poat delivering Amazon packages? Have a monitor scheduled to arrive today (ordered last monday/tuesday), and according to An Post it left Dublin a few minutes ago and is "on route to customer". Does this mean it'll arrive today?

Do An Post deliver from 4-6 usually?

Depends on your area. Its usually consistent for an address, so personally its between 1100-1300 for the courier van.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    When the technical preview first became available I installed it, but attempting to run most games seemed to make the computer freeze up so I uninstalled. Hopefully the finished product will perform better.

Did you install the W10 drivers from your GPU vendor?

In any case, earlier builds were quite beta still, we've only just got an RTM candidate.

Thanks. I take the "on route to customer" status as a good sign tbh, indicating it won't be coming to Limerick only to drop the stuff off at the depot here.

I just hope I'm home in time from work to not miss it! It left Dublin at 2, home at 5.15, it'll be tight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

6b5P4Mw.png

Should be on the van alright. #datNewToyFeelin

ED E wrote: »
    6b5P4Mw.png

Should be on the van alright. #datNewToyFeelin

Hopefully I didn't miss them, they left Dublin at 1.30, and I wont be home til 5.10ish :) Am in Limerick...

144hz monitor :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Why would my ssd not come up as an option when installing windows? The BIOS can see it but when I get the option of where to install, it only shows my bootable USB.
    Got to be something straight forward, any thoughts are much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

MRTULES wrote: »
    Why would my ssd not come up as an option when installing windows? The BIOS can see it but when I get the option of where to install, it only shows my bootable USB.
    Got to be something straight forward, any thoughts are much appreciated

Is it brand brand new? it might have to be formatted / assigned a drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Newish, bought from adverts. Was previously turned on though. I reformatted it as NTFS and it was showing as d drive. Then disconnected my current ssd, popped in bootable USB and tried to do a fresh install but it just ain't showing up.

could try update firmware of the drive. might fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MRTULES wrote: »
    Newish, bought from adverts. Was previously turned on though. I reformatted it as NTFS and it was showing as d drive. Then disconnected my current ssd, popped in bootable USB and tried to do a fresh install but it just ain't showing up.

It was probably rocking linux, so it would have a GRUB MBR on it.

You need to run a diskpart /clean command on the drive first. You can do that via the recovery options in the Windows installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

It was probably rocking linux, so it would have a GRUB MBR on it.

You need to run a diskpart /clean command on the drive first. You can do that via the recovery options in the Windows installer.

Has to be something like this, tell us how you fixed it once you get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Has anyone ordered from Hardwareversand recently?
    I was getting this earlier
    355167.PNG

and when I retried it's offering me paypal only.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

duffman85 wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered from Hardwareversand recently?
    I was getting this earlier
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/102892/355167.PNG

and when I retried it's offering me paypal only.

:confused:

oh god, I hope this doesn't mean they're going to stop shipping to Ireland. I ordered 2 weeks ago from them, through bank transfer and was fine.

Also can anyone tell me, I thought amazon didn't deliver hardware to Ireland? has that changed?

this forum would collapse if we lost hardwareversand :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It's been said before but they have got to have realised they get a suspicious amount of orders from Ireland :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement