Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

It maybe related but there has been a postal strike in Germany. I got a letter last today that was sent last month from a friend over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Could there be something more happening at hardwareversand.de? I've been trying to cancel an order since Friday at 9am but I'm not getting any replies to my emails nor is any one answering the phone. Starting to panick now as the reason I'm cancelling is because I need the money due to an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

papu wrote: »
    Has to be something like this, tell us how you fixed it once you get it going.

Yep. All sorted now! Did the disk clean through cmd and it wiped everything. All of a sudden it shows up at install.
    Any tips for windows 8.1 like what apps I should be installing if any? Only use chrome, steam and teamspeak ATM.
    Thanks again to all for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Could there be something more happening at hardwareversand.de? I've been trying to cancel an order since Friday at 9am but I'm not getting any replies to my emails nor is any one answering the phone. Starting to panick now as the reason I'm cancelling is because I need the money due to an emergency.

They never reply to emails, they reply to the phone usually but beware if they pick up, they probably don't speak english.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

HowAreWe wrote: »
    They never reply to emails, they reply to the phone usually but beware if they pick up, they probably don't speak english.

Would you expect employees in elverys to be able to converse in german / *insert any European language here*

• Advertisement

Would you expect employees in elverys to be able to converse in german / *insert any European language here*

no...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

When I've called, and the person didn't understand, they put me through to someone with better English.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Just sent them a mail(google translated to German) asking what the story is with payment for orders to Ireland. Just got an automated e-mail with a ticket number from them.
    Will update here if I get any answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

very off topic, I just looked up what iphone 5's sell for on adverts, broken ones 150 euro, and my holy grail factory unlocked black 32gb with next to no marks on it would be 250+. I bought the thing in november 2012! I'd be insane not to sell it now surely? I was thinking of going to some sort of android phone but it's hard to ignore the resale factor

Don't want to start any kind of argument on iphone vs android at all, I'm just bamboozled at why it's worth that after next to 3 years and with several thousand hours use on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

very off topic, I just looked up what iphone 5's sell for on adverts, broken ones 150 euro, and my holy grail factory unlocked black 32gb with next to no marks on it would be 250+. I bought the thing in november 2012! I'd be insane not to sell it now surely? I was thinking of going to some sort of android phone but it's hard to ignore the resale factor

Don't want to start any kind of argument on iphone vs android at all, I'm just bamboozled at why it's worth that after next to 3 years and with several thousand hours use on it

Teenagers aren't good with money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Its the "Apple" effect,people just think Apple products are far better than Android imo.
    Nvidia Gpus have the same high resale too on adverts.Gtx 970's selling for only 30-50e off retail price.

I swear Amd are tying to drive people into buying Nvidia cards atm.

Scan have Fury (non x) cards for pre-order and in stock from £443-£455.
    Why would anyone pay that for a fury when a 980ti is only £50 more?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also can anyone tell me, I thought amazon didn't deliver hardware to Ireland? has that changed?

Amazon changed that policy years ago.

I bought a MSI R9 270x from them two years ago. Built a HTPC entirely from parts from Amazon last year, and from looking at my account history it seems four years ago I ordered a hard drive.

They are my first port of call along with Overclockers.co.uk Amazon's customer service is second to none, and its perfect for Pc components.

Ordered a new MOBO in January when I upgraded my CPU(moved from amd to intel) and the board was DOA. Five minute job on the website, had a label to return the dead mobo free of charge, while they advanced shipped a replacement.

Replacement was with me three days later, before I'd even bothered my hole to send back the dead one. They give you like 28 days to send back the original item.

When GTA5 came out I had the game on pre-order, and an e-mail indicated due to overwhelming demand mine would be shipped at a later date. I was happy to hang on since I knew it would probably sell out here, but Amazon were giving it me for PS3 for €35. Was shopping in Tesco when an email notified me the game had shipped, just as I saw a copy on the shelf for €45.

Rang them standing in Tesco, a very helpful woman processed a full refund, and forwarded me a shipping label. Asked me to send the game back unopened within 28 days and no hassle. So got GTA on launch and had a full refund back in my account two days after that call.

Literally don't understand why people still go Hardvaar. The one order I placed I got a DOA mobo, and a two months RMA nightmare. It used to be recommended above all else here, noticing lately more seem to be sharing their stories.

I happily pay the extra few bob to Overclockers or Amazon, knowing any issues will be sorted ASAP. Overclockers have also had to deal with some RMA issues, and have been brilliant. I originally bought 4GB of OCZ RAM, and as part of the RMA they gave me a set of more expensive Corsair for the same price, and I ended up doubling it to 8GB, and still run it today.

Worth remembering that the second market as a hole, a lot of people don't understand or want to acknowledge depreciation. While there are phones up at those prices, worth seeing what they actually go for.

I got my girlfriend a 4S unlocked in perfect condition for €100 last year. No way I'd pay €250 for a second hand phone. Sure I only paid €300 new for my Nexus 4, and the latest iphone has only caught up on it specwise now.

Apple holds some re-sale value because of the initial outlay people spend on the phone, so they struggle to part with realistic values for it. That's the same for all things though.

I paid €220 for a Sapphire Trix R9 290 there month or so ago. Guy only seemed to have it for a short while, assumed he wanted to cash in to prep for the new range of cards. The GTX970's I was looking at people asking for nearly €300, for a second hand card you can buy for €50 more.

Was happy with my purchase since it still has a fair amount of warranty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Reason I was looking it up is that my dad is after breaking another phone, keeps dropping them out of his arse pocket. was going to give him my 5 as its already in a lifeproof case and I would just get something new. but since it's a couple hundred quid it would be mad to give it to him since he'll somehow manage to break the ****ing thing in a month. be better off me just keeping the 5 and him going out and buying some random yoke in carphonewarehouse with a warranty and throwitaroundtheplace insurance

computer parts are nearly worse than phones on adverts for being at insane prices. people trying to sell their dell xps from 2003 for 500 euro when it cost 750 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Delivery continues, despite local suspension of activities
    Today, Tuesday 14 July, a number of our parcel delivery drivers in the Netherlands stopped working.
    We will make every effort to limit the consequences of these actions for you, the customer.
    Our expectation is that we will deliver the majority of the parcels today.
    We will keep you updated on this website.

Just in case anyones ordered stuff from europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

game4it70 wrote: »
    I swear Amd are tying to drive people into buying Nvidia cards atm.

Scan have Fury (non x) cards for pre-order and in stock from £443-£455.
    Why would anyone pay that for a fury when a 980ti is only £50 more?
    :confused::confused::confused:

Some 980Tis are on sale at the moment on OCUK.

Normally it's closer to £100-£200, depending on the model. That's what they are on Scan.

And that's about a million euro these days.

Gbear wrote: »
    Some 980Tis are on sale at the moment on OCUK.

Normally it's closer to £100-£200, depending on the model. That's what they are on Scan.

And that's about a million euro these days.

Caseking have the cheapest Fury i've found @ 589e which is a good bit cheaper than the £450 that was on scan.While that makes the gap bigger price wise between the fury and the 980ti the ti is better bang for buck imo for the fps increase.

I think its Amd have messed up their pricing on the 390/390x/Fury/FuryX cards.Their ceo is trying to lose the budget brand title by upping their prices.
    By doing so they made Nvidia a better option for a lot of people that would have gone for the value over brand loyalty.

Also the Fury cards performing badly at 1080p is a deal breaker imo.
    In most games the 980 and the 980ti beat the Furys while costing less.
    How long has it been since you heard Nvidia being called better value :P

I spilled tea on my keyboard the other week but, despite trying to clean it, it's still banjaxed.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just get the same one again?
    It's a Cherry G80.

It never gave me any trouble in 2 years of pretty heavy use. It was grand until I spilled tea on it.

Has there been any major steps forward with keyboards, have ye seen any serious deals going around, or is it still a very safe bet?
    game4it70 wrote: »
    Caseking have the cheapest Fury i've found @ 589e which is a good bit cheaper than the £450 that was on scan.While that makes the gap bigger price wise between the fury and the 980ti the ti is better bang for buck imo for the fps increase.

I think its Amd have messed up their pricing on the 390/390x/Fury/FuryX cards.Their ceo is trying to lose the budget brand title by upping their prices.
    By doing so they made Nvidia a better option for a lot of people that would have gone for the value over brand loyalty.

Also the Fury cards performing badly at 1080p is a deal breaker imo.
    In most games the 980 and the 980ti beat the Furys while costing less.
    How long has it been since you heard Nvidia being called better value :P

Well the 390 is pretty much spot on.
    Even with the others, the sale on 980Tis notwithstanding, the FuryX is the bones of €100 cheaper in a lot of places, so it's still pretty competetive.
    The Fury is snuggled between the 980Ti and 980 in price, and pretty much in performance as well.

The 390x seems like the most pointless of the lot, but that was kinda the same with it's forebear.

In the end, AMD are getting a lot of **** for not comprehensively beating NVidia. They're still pretty competitive though, largely owing to sneaking in between most of Nvidia's cards.

I ended up going with a Fury myself today. Got the Sapphire Tri-X.

To complete the splurge I was going to get another SSD - Windows 10 will go on my current one and I was going to shift all my games to a new one.
    Is the Crucial MX 250GB a solid option?
    I've gone off Samsung with all the problems they've had over the past 18 months or so. Think the Crucials are cheaper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Crucial are pretty good for SSDs afaik. Not as fast as the Samsung Evos but that's a paper score anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Gbear wrote: »
    Snip

Where'd you order from?

Where'd you order from?

OCUK.

I wanted the jellies.

I'll probably get the SSD and keyboard off amazon.

Bizarrely expensive for GPUs but usually cheaper for drives and other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

did any one sea the tek syndicate video with, 980ti and r9390x in showdown very interesting results to be fair?

Crucial are pretty good for SSDs afaik. Not as fast as the Samsung Evos but that's a paper score anyways.

They had some really dodgy failure rates 2-3yrs ago but theyve been bought/restructured since and do well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ED E wrote: »
    They had some really dodgy failure rates 2-3yrs ago but theyve been bought/restructured since and do well now.

I checked on amazon and the price for a samsung evo 500gb ssd is only £8 more than the crucial ones. (£131 vs £123)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

ED E wrote: »

What have generally been the most reliable brands over the years?

I'd like to know how Samsung and Sandisk rack up. Cheers!

Doge wrote: »

Given everything we've learned, it's not really appropriate to end the experiment by crowning an official winner. But the 840 Pro wrote the most data, so it deserves to take center stage as the final curtain closes.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Doge wrote: »

I was an early adopter of SSD's for domestic use, and also was using them from early stages in work settings.

Personally I keep going for Crucial. Well priced, reliable and good manufacturer support.

OCZ have been far the worst I've encountered with frequent crashes and issues, and numerous RMA's. I've a 64GB one just sitting unplugged in my PC. Must take it out and either flog it for free, or see if I want to risk it in my HTPC.

Samsung seem to be a recommended brand, never gone for one myself, but friends who have them have never had problems.

Kingston seem to be the latest on the scene, and hearing good stuff from their stuff also.

I don't get overly concerned with the write speeds between them, as at a certain point imo it's pretty irrelevant. Reliability for me is the big thing, hence why I keep going for Crucial. I'd say my next upgrade could well be moving to two 512GB SSDs(currently on 128 and 256) and removing HDD entirely from my rig.

My HDD is just idle storage at this point, but with my HTPC and NAS, find I've really nothing but expendable media on my HDD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

I'm after getting a Patriot Blaze SDD, think it's 240 GB. I saw Blazes have some iffy reviews on some websites, yet it seems the 240 GB version has better reviews. Any personal experiences with the brand?

• Advertisement

I have an OCZ 60gb it doesn't even show up in the BIOS, I can't even install Windows on it.

I also have a crucial and a Sandisk both 120GB, no issues there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement