Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,868 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is freesync working? Heard mixed stuff about it

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

I'm in the market for a new case and thought some of ye might have some recommendations.

Are there any decent options out there with very good socket and VRM cooling options for my toasty 8350? I'd be looking for ATX mid/full tower. I'd be budgeting ~€100-120.

Edit: InWin 707 is the best I've seen so far, not a big fan of that front door though.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Headshot wrote: »
    Is freesync working? Heard mixed stuff about it

It basically works but a bit rough around the edges compared to G-sync. Doesn't handle low frame rates as smoothly as G-sync and the current crop of monitors don't apply overdrive when freesync is on (so they are blurrier with motion). Pcper had some good analysis back when first freesync monitors launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Hey I have a quick question. I only ever intend to game at 1080P, I'm happy with that resolution as my rig is hooked up to my monitor and TV at the same time.

I have a Sapphire HD7870, what's the best card I should upgrade too before I'm wasting my money at 1080P?

ffs I just cant make up my mind about the Samsung S34E790C :/

So close to buying

arggg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Headshot wrote: »
    ffs I just cant make up my mind about the Samsung S34E790C :/

So close to buying

arggg

Just buy it! We are all waiting for your feedback guinea pigging yet another high end piece of hardware before putting our own hands in our pockets :pac:

You had at least one previous superwide monitor hadnt you!?

I am considering one of the 29" ones at some stage if i scrape the funds together

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

My 2007 era PC has been made quieter over the years with new CPU cooler, PSU, SSD and GPU, but it still can get a bit noisy at times. So I was thinking of replacing my mid-tower with something like this. Would that make a difference.

Oh yes the AOC widescreen was brilliant but the back light bleeding was awful. Never go for any LG panels is my suggestion. At least the good thing for me was it showed me how cool 21:9 is.

I need to do some home work on will my current rig be good enough for GTA V on 3440x1440

My current setup is

16gb ram
    Intel i7-4790k 4.00ghz (no OC)
    Kranken CPU cooler
    Sapphire's Vapor-X R9 290X 8GB

Iv looked on Youtube and saw a GTA V video of someone running 2x Titan x's on the S34E790C and the FPS wasnt great

Iv heard the Titan x's arent all that great anyway but still

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tadcan wrote: »
    My 2007 era PC has been made quieter over the years with new CPU cooler, PSU, SSD and GPU, but it still can get a bit noisy at times. So I was thinking of replacing my mid-tower with something like this. Would that make a difference.

Nanoxia DS3 is about €65, mines pretty damn quiet when the GPU fans are down. Its almost silent at times

Nanoxia DS3 is about €65, mines pretty damn quiet when the GPU fans are down. Its almost silent at times

This is the nearest version I could find on hardwareversand, I should have mentioned the MB is standard ATX, and this fits an mATX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tadcan wrote: »
    This is the nearest version I could find on hardwareversand, I should have mentioned the MB is standard ATX, and this fits an mATX.

This?

Use geizhals to knock a few euro off if you opt for it

This?

Use geizhals to knock a few euro off if you opt for it

Yes, thanks, its roughly the same size as my current tower and will fit in the current space. I should sign up to geizhals.

In 2017 I may just get a new PC for the power saving and the wonders of USB C. By which time I can just get an expansion card for the front of the tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Should be getting my new desk today / tomorrow. Will feel nice to finally have some space to work with! I've had the same little desk since our first family PC all those years ago.. It had a 32MB graphics card, which I late updated to 128MB and thought it was the greatest thing ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hey I have a quick question. I only ever intend to game at 1080P, I'm happy with that resolution as my rig is hooked up to my monitor and TV at the same time.

I have a Sapphire HD7870, what's the best card I should upgrade too before I'm wasting my money at 1080P?

I probably wouldn't bother upgrading from a 7870 until you were upgrading your monitor tbh. The 7870 will do a job on the vast majority of games at 1080p, only the most demanding would give it any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

I just noticed on overclockers that the GTX 970 and 980 now comes with Batman Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 if anyone is interested.Nice way to recoup a few bob if not interested in the games.
    I presume other e-tailers have the same offer.

Woot, geizhals is just a content aggregation site, that has affiliate links which knocks a few euro off the price and not another retailer that needed another sign up. I am that lazy, sign-up and save money, done in a few minutes was to much :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DarkPassenger

game4it70 wrote: »
    I just noticed on overclockers that the GTX 970 and 980 now comes with Batman Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 if anyone is interested.Nice way to recoup a few bob if not interested in the games.
    I presume other e-tailers have the same offer.

Hardwareversand gave me a code for both games, just have to send them an email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Hardwareversand gave me a code for both games, just have to send them an email

Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

EU blocks Microsoft from trademarking Skype logo (because it might be confused with Sky)

This makes me cringe so hard...

So apparently my new desk caused 5.1 to stop working on PC.. :pac:

In all seriousness though I need some help with this. I'm trying to get 5.1 back working again but for some reason Realtek Audio Manager is only outputting to front, center, and sub.. no rear when set to 5.1. When I set to a 4 speaker setup the front and rear both test perfectly fine. Any ideas? :confused:

• Advertisement

Last time I tried Realtek for sound was a few years ago so this might be really wrong, but I think you can configure it to use the rear two as a side pair (as with 7.1). Perhaps that's what's going on here?

Crap that was it. There is a checkbox called 'Side Pair' which was ticked. Haven't encountered that before, nice one!

EDIT: What do you use instead of realtek? This just came as default with the mobo so I ran with it

Danger781 wrote: »
    Crap that was it. There is a checkbox called 'Side Pair' which was ticked. Haven't encountered that before, nice one

Actually not quite done.. It's now outputting 5.1 sound to the front two, center and sub.. Still no sound from back left and back right speaker :confused:

Edit: Just to clarify, when testing the sound for front left and back left speakers individually, the sound is coming from front left only no matter which speaker is selected.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Actually not quite done.. It's now outputting 5.1 sound to the front two, center and sub.. Still no sound from back left and back right speaker :confused:

Edit: Just to clarify, when testing the sound for front left and back left speakers individually, the sound is coming from front left only no matter which speaker is selected.

Managed to get it working by plugging the black connector (Rear speakers) into the grey slot (Side speakers). Seems in the Realtek world Rear is not equal to side. Works now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Finally got my replacement mouse from logitech,not a moment too soon. The disconnects on my old g400 were becomimg intolerable! They sent me a g402. Considering the g400 was €30 30 months ago i was surprised but delighted to hear that. Also have a g502 on the way next week as a birthday present:D

Took two months to get here,they messed up the delivery twice. And i had to mail them twice in the two months to remind them they had not sent it. But they got there in the end.

Bar the hiccup with delivery,cant fault the customer service at all. Quick responses,they know what there talking about and ultimatly they stood over their product. Ill definitely be comfortable buying there products from here out

Weird one here lads.

Picked up a Surface 3 today (awesome, will post stuff when I get it set up), and I just installed Steam to it. Rather than my library being empty though, it's acting like all my games that were installed on my desktop are on the Surface as well, but there's no option on right-click to "Delete local content".

Any ideas? Don't want my library cluttered full of stuff the Surface can't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Serephucus wrote: »
    Weird one here lads.

Picked up a Surface 3 today (awesome, will post stuff when I get it set up), and I just installed Steam to it. Rather than my library being empty though, it's acting like all my games that were installed on my desktop are on the Surface as well, but there's no option on right-click to "Delete local content".

Any ideas? Don't want my library cluttered full of stuff the Surface can't run.

You have in-home streaming enabled?

I did indeed. Figured it out about five minutes after posting that. Haven't felt like that big of a n00b in a while. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm getting a funny problem with my case.

It sounds a bit like a fridge - that sort of whine you get from the heat exchanger thing.

I've isolated the problem to the two top fans.

If I remove the top panel/dust guard, the noise stops.
    It's not the dust guard itself though, because the noise persists for half a second after I lift it out of the way and the noise can be replicated by holding a book over the fans.

I've tried prodding at the case and putting it under pressure in the places where it supports the weight of the panel but can't replicated it, and anyway, if I hold the panel above the slot without touching the case it still makes the noise.

My theory is that it's some sort of vortex or something being created between the fan and the object above it.

Any ideas how to fix it? I don't really want to leave the top of my PC open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Maybe try adjusting fan speed? The filter maybe causing a small static pressure drop causing the fan to resonate/vibrate differently when its in place. Reducing/increasing the speed may stop it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement