Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This is so strange,leading on from yesterday after cleaning up all the old restore points and deleting a lot of rubbish to boot i ended up with about 50GB of ssd space free. Thought problem solved.

Been using the PC for a few hours now and im back down to 45GB free space:( Went into system protection and sure enough it had made enough restore points to go over its allocated limit(Screenshot below),25GB allocated 28GB used:confused:.
    When i left it last night it was using around 22GB,something seems to be constantly making restore points for some reason. Very confusing:(

337862.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Very recently found out that I'm being made redundant from work and while that sucks completely, I've at least got a few leads on new jobs.

Plus side is the larger than expected pay off for it, so huzzah on that!

Anyway, FINALLY settled on the PC I'm going to build (like this one here though with slightly different parts, eg GTX 970 (I know, I know).

Now good people, I need advice on a decently sized desk that will have space for two people. My fiancée is going to use our current PC, though we'll upgrade her GPU for her, so we'll need space for two desktop PCs and monitors, obviously we'll be fine with placing PC's on the floor, the key issue will be space for chairs etc.

Anyone have any tips/advice? Looking to spend a max of €150, so thats Ikea out of the bag straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

EoinHef wrote: »
    This is so strange,leading on from yesterday after cleaning up all the old restore points and deleting a lot of rubbish to boot i ended up with about 50GB of ssd space free. Thought problem solved.

Been using the PC for a few hours now and im back down to 45GB free space:( Went into system protection and sure enough it had made enough restore points to go over its allocated limit(Screenshot below),25GB allocated 28GB used:confused:.
    When i left it last night it was using around 22GB,something seems to be constantly making restore points for some reason. Very confusing:(

337862.jpg

If i were you I would just reduce the Max Usage to 5 GB and forget about it. I wonder if you have installed the software that came with the SSD. I have a Samsung SSD and the software recommends changing a few system settings, such as Hibernation, Indexing and Superfetch. I guess your OS is saving old versions of files and swelling the Restore point as a result. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

EoinHef wrote: »
    After doing a bit of testing im fairly sure from the games i have,you would need to go looking for the problem. At the settings it requires to re produce the problem i dont really have playable frame rates anyway @1440p.

What im trying to say is;yes in certain situations is it a problem? Yes
    Do i think it will affect 99% of users? No,far from it.

@Danger781
    My advise to you is go get the cards and get them into your rig. Test a few games and see how you get on. Id bet my house after seeing the performance you will not want to send them back. Just my opinion,but dont write them off before you try them. As long a 4K is not an immediate concern i reckon you be fine for a long time @1440p anyway.
    Danger781 wrote: »
    I think that's exactly what I'll do. Bought direct from Amazon anyway, so if there is any issue down the line I can return them. They're still in parcel motel, but I'll be collecting them in a few minutes and then installing them later this evening.

Playing Skyrim @ 1440p with the majority of settings on ultra never went over the 1.6GB mark. Plenty of wiggle room there.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Danger781 wrote: »
    Playing Skyrim @ 1440p with the majority of settings on ultra never went over the 1.6GB mark. Plenty of wiggle room there.

I'm running Skyrim at 1440p full Ultra + 4xDSR and still only hitting around 2.5 GB if I remember correctly. With that DSR it's rendering at 5K resolution (5120 x 2880)!!! Smooth as butter and never getting even close to dropping below 60 FPS. That's with SLI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I'm really wanting to get another monitor, after deciding against it at the last minute last time :D
    I'm stuck between the 1200p dell in portrait with my current Qnix
    OR
    A second Qnix for ~50€ more than the 1200p Dell?

Problem is I don't know if 2x27" is too big.. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just realised how discusting the exchange rate is.. 200£ is 280€! That's not nice.

Not sure what to make of this. I love head tracking but maybe this will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not sure what to make of this. I love head tracking but maybe this will be better.

So if I am looking at minimap, it will just make my camera go all Berserk? Its like I see what they doing, but I still dont understand why would I want it...

I'm not sure myself to be honest. It could be aimed at competitive gaming and streaming as well. The video is a bit light on details, but perhaps it could add a whole new control method if used correctly. Maybe look at a part of the screen and hit a button etc.

... or blink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I decided to go back to using the stock cooler that came with my i7 4770k after using a h55 cooler. Cleaned CPU and old heatsink, applied TIM to the heatsink and then cleaned it off again as I made a balls of installing the push pins. I eventually got everything installed okay.

Just after booting up my PC now and I decided to run the intel burn test to see results such as this.

338044.PNG

The temperatures almost go up to that instantly. :(

I know that the 4770k is a processor that runs very hot, but 100c? This isn't normal. Any advice? I'm using MX-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Reseat it. Something is wrong. Even a CPU without a cooler on it would be cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Any stress test that uses avx instructions will bring haswell cpus to its knees heat wise so not unusual to see north of 90c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

what are your idle temps like?

idling between 29-39c. Applied thermal paste again and it seems to make no difference :(

How are you stressing it? AVX instructions do that no matter what kind of cooling.

I was running both Prime95 and Intel burn test. I know that they do produce unrealistic strain on the processor, but sometimes I do video rendering in vegas and that uses about 100% of the CPU power.

I took a picture of the thermal paste after I removed the stock cooler. Everything looks normal - it's surely covering most, if not all of the heat spreader.

http://i.imgur.com/Qf9UJZj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

N64 wrote: »
    I was running both Prime95 and Intel burn test. I know that they do produce unrealistic strain on the processor, but sometimes I do video rendering in vegas and that uses about 100% of the CPU power.

I took a picture of the thermal paste after I removed the stock cooler. Everything looks normal - it's surely covering most, if not all of the heat spreader.

http://i.imgur.com/Qf9UJZj.jpg

Why not just go back to your aftermarket cooler. Those stock coolers are useless.

Also prime95 is unreal at heating up CPU's. You will never put that much strain in general pc use.

See what Vegas does to it. The stock coolers are poor and they use way to much paste, but they should allow you to operate at stock clocks easily enough.

As said before, Prime and IBT use AVX instructions which rape haswell, even when you have high end air coolers. See what Vegas does to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Gumbi wrote: »
    See what Vegas does to it. The stock coolers are poor and they use way to much paste, but they should allow you to operate at stock clocks easily enough.

As said before, Prime and IBT use AVX instructions which rape haswell, even when you have high end air coolers. See what Vegas does to it.
    If i'm not mistaken running prime against haswell cpu's can damage them and isn't recommended. Well at least the more recent versions of prime.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken running prime against haswell cpu's can damage them and isn't recommended. Well at least the more recent versions of prime.

Yeppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why would that be? Surely it should fetch and execute anything you give it correctly?

How do you know that your gpu is old?

You just don't bother updating drivers anymore :pac:

I think I have already skipped 2 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How do you know that your gpu is old?

You just don't bother updating drivers anymore :pac:

I think I have already skipped 2 lol.

Yours is a generation newer than mine. I have 580 you have the 680.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah lads, gway.

GTX 460 :p

Yours is a generation newer than mine. I have 580 you have the 680.

don't understand me wrong, it's still great gpu and it handles everything very well on 1080p, but I just don't bother updating it as there is no point.
    With 970 being gimped , it will be a while until I get new gpu.I'll see those new amd yolks in march, hopefully those are good and well priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah lads, gway.

GTX 460 :p

I can never hold onto a GPU for more than a few months. Have to admire those people who buy a GPU, and hang onto it for years....

I actually used a GTX260 recently for a few days and found it ran BF4 at 1080p low-ish quite well. For a card that I originally owned in 2009 - and it wasn't the top card then either - that's fantastic going really. Six years later and still playing the latest games.

I can never hold onto a GPU for more than a few months. Have to admire those people who buy a GPU, and hang onto it for years....

I actually used a GTX260 recently for a few days and found it ran BF4 at 1080p low-ish quite well. For a card that I originally owned in 2009 - and it wasn't the top card then either - that's fantastic going really. Six years later and still playing the latest games.

I actually hold on to gpus too. We'll, sort off.

I remember back in the day I used my 8800gt and upgraded to 6870. Now that was some gap :D.
    Then 570, which I had only for few months and just got 680 when it launched.
    So far I am already skipping 2 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ordered my 7870 on 18/01/2013. Just over 2 years now. Still going alright, plays star citizen at acceptable rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's incredibly easy when you don't have €500 to pay for a new GPU :p
    I remember back in the day I used my 8800gt and upgraded to 6870. Now that was some gap :D.

Still have my 8800gtx here... only reason I upgraded from that was a driver issue kept causing it to overheat. Once I stuck it into a second box it's been grand ever since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement