Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    G4600?

Almost as bad for stocking and everywhere else a good bit pricier! Around the 90 sterling range. Once I get to that then I start thinking that I may as well get an i3-7100 ... and the budget build becomes a lot less budget!

I'm undecided between waiting it out for more stock or possibly going for a skylake i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Nearly as bad trying to find somewhere with a G4560 in stock! The few places that do are charging way over the odds.

If you do get one, it's unreal! I bought one about 2 months back for €65 from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a rumour going around that Intel are throttling production / stock of the G4560/G4600 as they are cannibalizing i3 sales.

I was thinking the exact same thing based on how difficult it is to buy one! You can bet they won't have the same price/performance unit in coffee lake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think sometimes though, the G4560's reputation has overtaken the reality.

Now we see people pairing the G4560 with the likes of GTX1060's and RX580's even though in anything CPU heavy, it does pretty badly.

It doesn't belong in anything other than builds where the budget is tight - people also often say that 'it's basically an i3' but the truth is the Skylake i3's are much faster in CPU heavy games, the 7100 in particular is infinitely better in the likes of Battlefield 1 (something the G4560 is poor at).

It's a great CPU for a low price but it has it's place. I would not recommend it to someone unless it was literally the only CPU they could afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Doge

What are people's thoughts on the AMD RYZEN 1600 cpu?

I was going to go with Intel just because Intel but the benchmarks of the 1600 seem very impressive..
    Does the performance follow through in games?

Man I'm out of touch with pc building these dsays, used have a grasp on it years ago but so much has changed!

It depends on how frequently you upgrade. If you want it to last 5-6 years at a minimum the Ryzen should be a fairly sound bet.

If you're more about the next 12-24 (or 36) months, the i7 is still top dog by a fair margin. At the moment, the Ryzen 1600 is more comparable to an i5-7600.

Even the fastest Ryzen is at the moment more similar to an i5, though it matches (or even bests) the i7 in one or two games that take all the cores/threads they can get and over the coming years that should play to Ryzen very well.

It also depends on what you're running. If you're at a standard 60hz monitor, there's no real reason not to opt for the cheaper Ryzen 1600 for both now and the future, but at >60hz the i7 is significantly better in the vast majority of games (sometimes i5 but at this point I'd probably prefer Ryzen 1600).

I'm still not 100% convinced by Ryzen, it's good and offers good value for money and more longevity than an i5 but still randomly falls down badly in some random games (sometimes even compared to the i3), so I opted again for the i7-7700 over Ryzen very recently because I want 100% guaranteed performance in each and every title, which the i7 does give.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It depends on how frequently you upgrade. If you want it to last 5-6 years at a minimum the Ryzen should be a fairly sound bet.

If you're more about the next 12-24 (or 36) months, the i7 is still top dog by a fair margin. At the moment, the Ryzen 1600 is more comparable to an i5-7600.

Even the fastest Ryzen is at the moment more similar to an i5, though it matches (or even bests) the i7 in one or two games that take all the cores/threads they can get and over the coming years that should play to Ryzen very well.

It also depends on what you're running. If you're at a standard 60hz monitor, there's no real reason not to opt for the cheaper Ryzen 1600 for both now and the future, but at >60hz the i7 is significantly better in the vast majority of games (sometimes i5 but at this point I'd probably prefer Ryzen 1600).

I'm still not 100% convinced by Ryzen, it's good and offers good value for money and more longevity than an i5 but still randomly falls down badly in some random games (sometimes even compared to the i3), so I opted again for the i7-7700 over Ryzen very recently because I want 100% guaranteed performance in each and every title, which the i7 does give.

I think that's all fair enough if the only use is for gaming @ 60+hz. If planning to use it quite a bit for other purposes also that can make use of extra cores/threads though I think ryzen is the way to go at most price points versus the equivalent Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If your gaming while live streaming or such ryzen probably is the better way to go as it does better with all the cores. And if your gaming at 1440p or 4k id just go ryzen as your gpu will be the bottleneck anyway. Tbh im waiting to have a look at threadripper, that could be awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If your gaming while live streaming or such ryzen probably is the better way to go as it does better with all the cores. And if your gaming at 1440p or 4k id just go ryzen as your gpu will be the bottleneck anyway. Tbh im waiting to have a look at threadripper, that could be awesome :)

If your gaming at 1440p or 4k, CPU makes little to no difference. Its all GPU bound. Its high hz/framerate that pushs CPU's in Single Thread performance, where Intel is currently king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

If your gaming at 1440p or 4k, CPU makes little to no difference. Its all GPU bound. Its high hz/framerate that pushs CPU's in Single Thread performance, where Intel is currently king.

Would a 6600k handle 4K, if paired with a sufficient gpu?

Inviere wrote: »
    Would a 6600k handle 4K, if paired with a sufficient gpu?

Yes, especially with a decent overclock it would be perfectly fine, though even without overclocking in 90% of games a stable 60fps would be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone wanting to get into VR but put off buy the price.

Rift+Touch is on sale for the next 6 weeks from Oculus Direct and retail partners for €449!! Thats half the price of the Vive and the Rift is arguably a bit better than Vive in most of the ways that matter. Thats Facebook money for ya. They can sell at or below cost to gain market share like Console manufacturers used to do.

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Calibos wrote: »

Rift+Touch is on sale for the next 6 weeks from Oculus Direct and retail partners for €449!! Thats half the price of the Vive and the Rift is arguably a bit better than Vive in most of the ways that matter. Thats Facebook money for ya. They can sell at or below cost to gain market share like Console manufacturers used to do.

Thanks for the heads up - what pc specs would you recommend? I have an intel i5 4590 that I bought in 2016 - do I just need to buy a graphics card? Which Graphics card would you recommend?

Thanks

New, a GTX1060 6GB, 2nd hand, a GTX970 would be fine, ideally a GTX1070 but that is obviously very pricey.

RE: The Oculus itself, that is a fantastic price, slightly concerned about the fact that two of the biggest games, Doom VR and Fallout 4 VR, will be Vive only though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Got a Wipeout/FZeroesque game called Redout on Sunday. It's amazing, and even more amazing is that you can play it in VR :D First person works best I found and it didn't leave me with motion sickness :)

I had a few last night and I feel gravely ill at the thought of Wipeout in VR....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I haven't logged into steam in 101 days. :{

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Calibos wrote: »

Damn that is good. It's getting tempting now. New card first though me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

BloodBath wrote: »
    Damn that is good. It's getting tempting now. New card first though me thinks.

Im guessing my RX 480 4GB will struggle with the Rift?

It states an RX 480 as a min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have a 970 which is around the min as well. There's lots of simplistic graphics VR games that it's probably fine for but the more demanding stuff (Resident Evil 7, The Climb, Robo Recall, Star Citizen etc) will want something beefier if you want to wack the settings up.

I'm waiting to have a look at Vega but I'm also on the lookout for cheap second hand 980ti's.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I have a 970 which is around the min as well. There's lots of simplistic graphics VR games that it's probably fine for but the more demanding stuff (Resident Evil 7, The Climb, Robo Recall, Star Citizen etc) will want something beefier if you want to wack the settings up.

I'm waiting to have a look at Vega but I'm also on the lookout for cheap second hand 980ti's.

Resident Evil isn't supported on PC unfortunately.

People got it working with VorpX with a lot of field of view lost,
    and a 3D which has the full screen but no headtracking.

When ordering on Amazon, is it better to order all in the one go or separately for items over 25 quid?

Pros of ordering in one go - you might get one of the better couriers like UPS.

Cons - you'll probably be waiting longer for them to compile your parts.

Any large order I've put in has been split up by Amazon using whatever mad cap system they work on!

But I've found the biggest parcels have always ended up with An Post for me and I'm very happy with that because they are the most reliable by far in my area. The cheaper smaller items sometimes end up with iParcel .....

P.S. - The absolute worst ever was one order that mysteriously got sent via a French carrier called Chronopost. Both I and the (very helpful) Amazon reps got fukced about for weeks and flat out lied to on occasion before a badly treated package eventually turned up!

Luckily both intel and g-skill must factor p!ss poor delivery into their design because the contents were fine!

What was the link to those 'cheap' 1080ti's there a week or so ago? Presume they're no longer at that price?

The Logitech g920 / G29 shifter is down to £27 for prime members.

Logitech Driving Force Shifter for G29 and G920 Racing Wheels https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZWOUH4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8tGzzbJJX5HH5

Inviere wrote: »
    What was the link to those 'cheap' 1080ti's there a week or so ago? Presume they're no longer at that price?

Heres most of them, all seem to have raised in price again:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=gtx+1080+ti

My MG28UQ arrive there from Amazon.de, however it wasn't in plain packaging as was requested, and the seal on the box had been opened/cut. Everything seems to be there, & I plugged the screen in to check (no dead pixels anyway). I found it strange the box had been opened, any particular reason that might be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds suspiciously like you got a warehouse one? If you weren't expecting that I'd report it to amazon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement