Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sean has a thread in BB, probably better if we keep all contributions together:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757638

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ED E wrote: »
    Sean has a thread in BB, probably better if we keep all contributions together:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757638

sorry for double posting about it :o il keep it over in broadband, thanks for all the great advice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OCUK now have stock of the RX580 8GB Red Devil....for £599.

A card with a £269 RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A card with a £269 RRP.

And they are the ones making the profit not AMD.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A card with a £269 RRP.

Yikes,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No no, y'see, it's all to do with Brexit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Not sure if anyone has encountered this problem before, but when I'm playing a game of league, my monitor randomly goes into standby (the mouse logo things) or sometimes completely shuts off. I can still hear sound etc etc but there's no display.

So, I restart the whole PC by holding the power button and when it starts back up, it loads the BIOS screen fine but after that, a white bar across the monitor displays and that's it. I could restart it a few times more and it'll finally load in only for the same thing to happen again when I load league. Anyone have any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm not too sure. I don't have anything to really test it with as I'm away from home on a second PC..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Given that it happens in a game, it would lead me to think it's a GPU issue. How frequent is it? Has it ever happened in something other than a game?

You could run Kombuster or something else synthetic to stress it, but it tends to be the spikes in load from gameplay that show certain kinds of problems with GPUs, so synthetic stuff doesn't always catch it. Worth a go though.

Have you tried running off IGP?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Given that it happens in a game, it would lead me to think it's a GPU issue. How frequent is it? Has it ever happened in something other than a game?

You could run Kombuster or something else synthetic to stress it, but it tends to be the spikes in load from gameplay that show certain kinds of problems with GPUs, so synthetic stuff doesn't always catch it. Worth a go though.

Have you tried running off IGP?

It's only happened in a game. I was playing cities skylines and league with no problems at all earlier in the evening. If it helps, I've got a 960 2gb (bought from Adverts). What is IGP? I haven't done much apart from checking power settings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's only happened in a game. I was playing cities skylines and league with no problems at all earlier in the evening. If it helps, I've got a 960 2gb (bought from Adverts). What is IGP? I haven't done much apart from checking power settings

Integrated graphics.

Integrated graphics.

Ah, will try it once the Kombustor is finished. Currently running a standard stress test on the preset settings. Doesn't look like there's anything wrong as far as I can tell, but I wouldn't know much as it's my first time using this.

EDIT: Screenshot of it https://puu.sh/wxAuP/65922cabf8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

When the Xbox One X hits shelfs, does anyone think the prices for 4k monitors might rise if there's a rise in demand for them?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Inviere wrote: »
    When the Xbox One X hits shelfs, does anyone think the prices for 4k monitors might rise if there's a rise in demand for them?

Don't think so, most people will go for a TV over a monitor on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Inviere wrote: »

Consoles are more geared towards TV's than monitors though.
    If anything it might bring prices down to encourage console users to purchase 4k monitors instead of using their current TV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SickBoy wrote: »
    Consoles are more geared towards TV's than monitors though.
    If anything it might bring prices down to encourage console users to purchase 4k monitors instead of using their current TV's?

Could well happen, as the new Xbox will feature Freesync.

Edit: I meant console users adopting monitors over TVs, rather than prices being affected.

So, fitness tracking.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I might be in the market for something. I'm looking for something that means I don't have to bring my (relatively) big and heavy phone with me to get Google Fit data about runs/workouts.

Do fitness trackers offer integration? Can smartwatches figure out that I'm doing something when not connected to my phone, store the data, and sync it back to Google Fit later on when they get a connection again, or do I need to shell out a bunch of extra for a 4G watch?

Android Wear is pretty decent offline. The big caveat is it cant take voice commands without cloud backing. So say you're at the house you can say "OK Google, Start a run" and have that processed over bluetooth to the phone or wifi to your home broadband. Then when you arrive at a park say and want to stop you have to swipe + tap + tap.

Fit is pretty clever at determining what you're doing. You can tell it to start doing weights and it will determine which lifts/rows etc you're doing and count reps, then tell you to rest for 60. I was surprised how well it detected.

ogi9QD7.png

I had a lazy morning yesterday xD It probably failed to detect a couple minutes of cycling there as I took the long way back, but its reasonably good with zero intervention. If i'd said "Start a bike ride" it would have logged it down to the second.

I've noticed the detection myself. It's impressively good. Picked up on a bike mini marathon I did a while ago, and I didn't realise until I opened up the app a couple of days later to see how I'd done on my morning run.

I figured RE voice detection. I actually quite like watching Google Now as I'm speaking to see how the prediction changes.

So I guess as long as I get something Wear with GPS, I'm good to go, leaving my phone at home.

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty much. Bluetooth earphones + cached music/podcasts tops it off.

Awesome!

Excellent and speedy advise as always, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No no, y'see, it's all to do with Brexit! :pac:

It's more likely minors.

Thinking I'm going to move to Nvidia for my GPU and get my self a 1080ti any one have any experience with kfa?

It's more likely minors.

Thinking I'm going to move to Nvidia for my GPU and get my self a 1080ti any one have any experience with kfa?

I'd look for Palit (Super) Jetstream / GameRock or Gainward Phoenix if you can; their cooler is very good.
    Found a seller with 3 in-stock for €690 on eBay but not sure if they'll send to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I'd look for Palit (Super) Jetstream / GameRock or Gainward Phoenix if you can; their cooler is very good.
    Found a seller with 3 in-stock for €690 on eBay but not sure if they'll send to Ireland.

Thanks man I'll check that out, I'm think of going To buy of over clockers, as I trust them I'm not to fussed about spending a little money for peace of mind ya know? They've always been good to me.

Do you know if a 1080ti will run of a 650 watt psu with a 1700x ? Would I be Bette of updating it? To 750?

650W should be fine, you'll probably be using 460-520W with that setup.

OCUK have stock of the Palit models for £649 so that's a decent price for a 1080Ti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A few days ago the Gamerock was £629 with free Destiny 2, annoyed now I just didn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im very close to buying the Vertagear Triigger Line 350SE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I've got the palit 1080 super jetstream no problems at all
    i got it from scan.co.uk

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Looking for a 3.5"/5.25" card reader. Only want SDXC/HC, dont care for everything from CF card to MSDuo.

The important bit is speed. Plenty of readers bottleneck fast cards (have one that does about 10MB/s, another 40Mb/s). While all cards advertise their class/actual max.

Suggestions? Loads of crud on Amazon.

Returning back to this, Bitfenix make a decent one so thats perfect, BUT we have an issue. My board has a single USB3 20PIN header which is already populated.

Teh interwebs says a Y splitter won't work (pinout seems to support that) so is the only solution a PCI card with another header?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement