Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah you will lose performance alright. Probably only around 10%. It would still be faster than the 1080.

It's a pity nobody makes good aftermarket blower cards anymore. HIS used to have a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really - even throttled the 1080ti is significantly faster than the 1080. For 4K, it makes a huge difference - though the 1070 and 1080 are capable enough at 4k if you don't mind medium settings rather than high-ultra.

If your case has room for a 120/140 rad it might be worth waiting to have a look at the top end RX Vega. It will come with a water cooler as standard and should be priced around 1080ti levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

BloodBath wrote: »
    If your case has room for a 120/140 rad it might be worth waiting to have a look at the top end RX Vega. It will come with a water cooler as standard and should be priced around 1080ti levels.

The case I mentioned caters to a 120mm rad, which it already has for the 6600k within. No room for any more unfortunately. I love mitx, but it can be very limiting.

Cheers guys, so the consensus is a dropped clock & voltage Ti still outperforms a 1080? Cool, a bit more hopeful now.Is it difficult to drop the voltage & clocks?

Nah. It's just the opposite of overclocking. Underclocking. Same software. There's probably guides online for it specific to 1080ti's as well.

You don't even necessarily have to do it as the card will do it automatically when it gets too hot but in your case I'd tinker with it a little to try and get good averages without further throttling.

You might even be able to keep the stock speeds and just lower voltage to get an improvement if it's good silicon.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Nah. It's just the opposite of overclocking. Underclocking. Same software. There's probably guides online for it specific to 1080ti's as well.

You don't even necessarily have to do it as the card will do it automatically when it gets too hot but in your case I'd tinker with it a little to try and get good averages without further throttling.

You might even be able to keep the stock speeds and just lower voltage to get an improvement if it's good silicon.

Or another thought, just change the case! However, that might spiral, I mean, are there m-atx cases that accommodate m-itx boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Inviere wrote: »
    Or another thought, just change the case! However, that might spiral, I mean, are there m-atx cases that accommodate m-itx boards?

There are, pretty sure my ATX supports M-ITX. I'm not sure about all cases supporting smaller sizes but a lot do iirc.

Cheers, will do some homework :)

Folks, have removed and sold my 1060...and am running via on-board gfx at the mo. What's the best way/program to remove and clean the no longer needed nvidia drivers etc? I see it listed via the Programs menu in the Control Panel, but there's all other Nvidia stuff listed like 3D Vision driver, Audio driver, PhysX, etc. Is there a simple all in one way to remove everything, or does it have to be done manually and individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Driver sweeper or similar, but just uninstal using windows add/remove programs and run CCleaner afterwards would do just as well..

One final question, now that the Nvidia stuff has been cleaned out, and I'm running on-boards graphics (Intel HD Graphics 630 via a 7700k)...can I just drop in a replacement card without having to worry about the Intel drivers that are being used at the mo, or should I run the driver cleaner again at that point with the restart option (used for changing cards I think)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Doge

One final question, now that the Nvidia stuff has been cleaned out, and I'm running on-boards graphics (Intel HD Graphics 630 via a 7700k)...can I just drop in a replacement card without having to worry about the Intel drivers that are being used at the mo, or should I run the driver cleaner again at that point with the restart option (used for changing cards I think)?

I'd imagine you could just drop it in without worrying about them.

They might come in handy if you ever had problems with the card and had to fall back on the onboard graphics, which hopefully will never happen! ;)

I always have my onboard graphics and dedicated graphics installed.

Looking at cabling solutions for the Rift bundle currently on sale, the ports needed will be:

x1 HDMI for the Rift visuals
    x3 USB 3.0 ports for the two sensors, and the rift headset
    x1 USB 2.0 port for a wired/wirelss controller (not included in the bundle)

I've got x2 USB 3.0's as the front of my case, and plenty more round the back. The thing is, I really don't want to be moving the case in & out to connect/disconnect the Rift all the time...so something like a breakout box or extension cables would seem to be the only solution. I think only the Vive has the breakout box (which works with Rift but doesn't contain ALL the needed ports), so that leaves extension cables.

I remember I got a loan of a DK1 years ago, & the Rift was able to be used at the same time as a monitor/display, has that feature been lost now with CV1?

Also, what if I just get a display port to hdmi adapter, could I then leave both the Rift AND my tv connected at the same time, for convenience sake?

Looking at cabling solutions for the Rift bundle currently on sale, the ports needed will be:

x1 HDMI for the Rift visuals
    x3 USB 3.0 ports for the two sensors, and the rift headset
    x1 USB 2.0 port for a wired/wirelss controller (not included in the bundle)

I've got x2 USB 3.0's as the front of my case, and plenty more round the back. The thing is, I really don't want to be moving the case in & out to connect/disconnect the Rift all the time...so something like a breakout box or extension cables would seem to be the only solution. I think only the Vive has the breakout box (which works with Rift but doesn't contain ALL the needed ports), so that leaves extension cables.

I remember I got a loan of a DK1 years ago, & the Rift was able to be used at the same time as a monitor/display, has that feature been lost now with CV1?

Also, what if I just get a display port to hdmi adapter, could I then leave both the Rift AND my tv connected at the same time, for convenience sake?

Did you see the yoke I ordered that Calibos has also installed in his PC?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine-33394-V-Front-floppy-Reader/dp/B00BU977Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500291644&sr=8-1&keywords=Inline+hdmi+panel

You'll need this also of you want to fit it into a 5.25" bay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000HLZXH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have a look in my build thread to see how Calibos is using it and how I plan to use it.

Ive heard youre actually better off having the sensors plugged into into USB 2.0 ports, or maybe one in 2.0 one in 3.0.

Its to do with splitting the bandwidth, so the Rift uses one Usb controller chip and the Sensors use another.

Theres some extensive testing here with upto 4 sensors:

Did you order a second sensor from oculus? I think they just come with one don't they?

Doge wrote: »
    Did you see the yoke I ordered that Calibos has also installed in his PC?

Would be perfect but for the fact I use a Core V1 case (mitx), ain't no bays :o
    Did you order a second sensor from oculus? I think they just come with one don't they?

The bundle has both sensors included, so will run with two. I'm not that interested in room scale stuff (plus I don't have the space for it), so not overly pushed on that end of things.

Would be perfect but for the fact I use a Core V1 case (mitx), ain't no bays :o

The bundle has both sensors included, so will run with two. I'm not that interested in room scale stuff (plus I don't have the space for it), so not overly pushed on that end of things.

In that case you'd probably be better off with a high quality hdmi extension cable and usb extension cable.

Can't believe we're getting 2 sensors! What a deal!

Doge wrote: »
    In that case you'd probably be better off with a high quality hdmi extension cable and usb extension cable.

Can't believe we're getting 2 sensors! What a deal!

Yup, have ordered the following:

x4 USB 3.0 extension cables - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C7S2FRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x1 DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (for the tv, so I can leave both the Rift AND the TV connected at the same time & don't have to faff about hotswapping) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3I38Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x1 HDMI extension cable - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013ICN59Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yup, have ordered the following:

x4 USB 3.0 extension cables - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C7S2FRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x1 DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (for the tv, so I can leave both the Rift AND the TV connected at the same time & don't have to faff about hotswapping) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3I38Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x1 HDMI extension cable - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013ICN59Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What are the 4x 2 metre USB3 extension cables for?

Calibos wrote: »
    What are the 4x 2 metre USB3 extension cables for?

I've only got two USB slots on the front of the case, so it's to use the back ports but save me pulling the pc out everytime to connect/disconnect the Rift. I'll have x4 usbs & a HDMI port all extended around to the front. I'll need them too considering I've a G920 to use with the rift. The front ones are being used by my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle, & a wireless Xbox adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Anyone get something from Amazon delivered without an outer box? Took delivery of a GPU earlier and it came in just the GPU box itself, with the postage label stuck on the back of it. There's only that little circular sticker at the top that's keeping it sealed so not exactly hard to open. I've ordered many times from Amazon and it's the 1st time this has happened.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jamescd wrote: »
    Anyone get something from Amazon delivered without an outer box? Took delivery of a GPU earlier and it came in just the GPU box itself, with the postage label stuck on the back of it. There's only that little circular sticker at the top that's keeping it sealed so not exactly hard to open. I've ordered many times from Amazon and it's the 1st time this has happened.

Were Ascendia the carrier? I had the same happen with a Corsair keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Were Ascendia the carrier? I had the same happen with a Corsair keyboard.

Nah, it was An Post. Thankfully it was only a 1050Ti and not something a lot more valuable like a 1080 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I got a 32 inch monitor delivered that way. The postman, who's a sound guy, asked me was I treating myself!

I got a 32 inch monitor delivered that way. The postman, who's a sound guy, asked me was I treating myself!

My monitor arrived that way last week also, DESPITE me ticking the box to ship it in Amazon packaging.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jamescd wrote: »
    Nah, it was An Post. Thankfully it was only a 1050Ti and not something a lot more valuable like a 1080 :eek:

Could still have been ascendia that handed it to an post, an post delivered mine too but ascendia were the carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've only got two USB slots on the front of the case, so it's to use the back ports but save me pulling the pc out everytime to connect/disconnect the Rift. I'll have x4 usbs & a HDMI port all extended around to the front. I'll need them too considering I've a G920 to use with the rift. The front ones are being used by my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle, & a wireless Xbox adapter.

Gotcha. Not a bad idea from an expensive component protection standpoint too. A further benefit of the Inline yoke both myself and Doge bought and your cable extensions is that it means less length of the precious Rift cable wasted simply reaching around the back of the PC but more importantly, if you trip or yank the Rift cable you don't risk destroying the HDMI port of, or heaven forbid the whole massively expensive GPU.

Have a G920 myself too. One thing to note about driving games. You might initially feel the butterflies/vestibular twinges when you take tight bends. This is because as a real life driver I presume, your brain is expecting some lateral G's when taking the bends. When it doesn't feel them it wigs out a little. Don't worry. After a few sessions your brain will acclimatise and that'll stop happening. My brother didn't experience it in pCars at all. He's not a real life driver so his brain had no frame of reference and didn't know it should be feeling lateral G's and thus for him there was no sensory mismatch for his brain to wig out over.

Similar will happen doing barrell rolls in Flight or Space Sims. You'll get your VR Legs soon enough. Just don't push past the 'sickness' Once you start to feel a bit iffy and clammy, stop immediately and come back a few hours later or the next day. If you try and push through it, two things will happen. 1. You'' render yourself bed-ridden for the rest of the day. 2. You'll start to create an aversion to VR in your Brain where even the smell of the thing will cause your brain to trigger an iffy feeling. Small does of the games that trigger VR sickness is the best way to get your VR legs.

It being a warm humid Irish Summer, you're going to feel a bit sweaty in the headset anyway especially if you wear it too tight. (Look up some Rift Strap adjustment guides) but believe me, you'll know the difference between sweaty Rifting in the Summer and and the Clammy slightly sickly sensation which is your que to take a VR breather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

My monitor arrived that way last week also, DESPITE me ticking the box to ship it in Amazon packaging.

me too also as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement