Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

Calibos wrote: »
    Gotcha. Not a bad idea from an expensive component protection standpoint too. A further benefit of the Inline yoke both myself and Doge bought and your cable extensions is that it means less length of the precious Rift cable wasted simply reaching around the back of the PC but more importantly, if you trip or yank the Rift cable you don't risk destroying the HDMI port of, or heaven forbid the whole massively expensive GPU.

Have a G920 myself too. One thing to note about driving games. You might initially feel the butterflies/vestibular twinges when you take tight bends. This is because as a real life driver I presume, your brain is expecting some lateral G's when taking the bends. When it doesn't feel them it wigs out a little. Don't worry. After a few sessions your brain will acclimatise and that'll stop happening. My brother didn't experience it in pCars at all. He's not a real life driver so his brain had no frame of reference and didn't know it should be feeling lateral G's and thus for him there was no sensory mismatch for his brain to wig out over.

Similar will happen doing barrell rolls in Flight or Space Sims. You'll get your VR Legs soon enough. Just don't push past the 'sickness' Once you start to feel a bit iffy and clammy, stop immediately and come back a few hours later or the next day. If you try and push through it, two things will happen. 1. You'' render yourself bed-ridden for the rest of the day. 2. You'll start to create an aversion to VR in your Brain where even the smell of the thing will cause your brain to trigger an iffy feeling. Small does of the games that trigger VR sickness is the best way to get your VR legs.

It being a warm humid Irish Summer, you're going to feel a bit sweaty in the headset anyway especially if you wear it too tight. (Look up some Rift Strap adjustment guides) but believe me, you'll know the difference between sweaty Rifting in the Summer and and the Clammy slightly sickly sensation which is your que to take a VR breather.

Very interesting stuff, and good advice...I'll be sure to heed it (assuming I can pry myself from 'the matrix' :D)
    Skerries wrote: »
    me too also as well

Worse again, the seal on the box has open when it arrived to me. Amazon rebated 40 blips back to me, after confirming the product was new & my warranty was in tact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What flight sims are VR compatible? I've Microsoft Flight Simulator X in my steam library but never used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got a warehouse monitor from Amazon today......missing the powerpack.

How anyone could possibly have tested it I don't know.....they refunded me the cost of buying an adaptor but hopefully there's nothing else wrong with the screen!

Not impressed with Amazon.....have had other issues with warehouse stuff, I think it's quite clear they operate minimal, if any, testing on customer returned items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I've been very lucky with warehouse stuff. I had a dodgy HDMI cable with a monitor last year and that's about it.

Must be the luck of the draw. I bought most of the parts of a "new" build from the warehouse last week at 20% off. It's almost all still in transit so we'll see how it goes!

Sprung for a new PSU for safety reasons and new case for aesthetics. All the other major components are warehouse ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Hrrm. Apparently the crypto-currency gold rush has reached its inevitable conclusion again and people are selling off their cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

superg wrote: »
    What flight sims are VR compatible? I've Microsoft Flight Simulator X in my steam library but never used it.

I'm curious also so I decided to compile a list:

Native support:

Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator
    DCS World (Digital Combat Simulator)
    IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
    War Thunder
    Red Bull Air Race The Game
    Combat Air Patrol 2: Military Flight Simulator

Supported with Flyinside (Purchase, demo available)
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X
    Prepar3D
    X-Plane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

L wrote: »
    Hrrm. Apparently the crypto-currency gold rush has reached its inevitable conclusion again and people are selling off their cards.

About time. It's getting ridiculous trying to get a decent card. Hopefully there'll be some bargains if the supply of cards increase suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

My Man cave is so hot I m sitting here in my boxers sweating like a waterfall :pac:

Just installed Windows 10 Pro for free using the assistive technologies upgrade.

Had to inject USB drivers into the Windows 7 install disk as Ryzen / AM4 motherboards are not compatible with USB on Windows 7.

Gigabyte have a neat little utility for injecting the drivers onto a windows 7 install on your usb stick.

Just installed Windows 7, ran the upgrade and boom a free and legally activated copy of Windows 10 Pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kid got a mobo from mindfactory delivered yesterday and well..

20228643_1486849978021117_9043899435665403563_n.jpg?oh=115784da1e2d1da1fdc8d1fbfe83a6e6&oe=59FD5522

The RMA form is German :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The RMA form is German :(

Google translate. I also stopped ordering from Mindfactory after going through 3 board RMA's. OcUk or Amazon now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lads, does anyone here use a portable monitor-as in the type that works off of USB 3.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've used my phone as a portable monitor.. if that counts, works over usb

Cheers frozen, looking at a few different ones like this; need something that can take VGA and can be powered by USB or a power bank, need it for NVR servers that run a linux distro. Casn't remote into them when they are out of the box, and have a pain dragging a standard monitor.

ah ok a real portable monitor, I can't help there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glynf wrote: »
    Cheers frozen, looking at a few different ones like this; need something that can take VGA and can be powered by USB or a power bank, need it for NVR servers that run a linux distro. Casn't remote into them when they are out of the box, and have a pain dragging a standard monitor.

Is this for first time setups?

If thats the case the little 12" car units with battery and a VGA to SVid adapter might be enough to configure them and be very portable.

Yes mainly to give it an IP address-just something I can stick into the laptop bag rather than horsing a screen around looking for spare sockets and that. Good call, never thought of auto stuff. Will give a look on abay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Getting this black screen stuff again when I'm playing games or browsing the internet (displays resolution and refresh rate bouncing around in a grey box). Not sure whether it's down to my PSU at fault, old monitor or my GPU. Seemed to "fix it" the last time it happened by just replacing the DVI cable and power cable....wrecking my head trying to figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

So, what do you lads figure a i7-3770K should cost these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

L wrote: »
    So, what do you lads figure a i7-3770K should cost these days?

Checked the sold listings, not many sold on their own. The last one went 2 months ago with a motherboard and 8GB of ram (albeit 4x2Gb sticks) for €260.

http://touch.adverts.ie/other-computers/i7-3770k-asus-p8z67-deluxe-motherboard-bundle/12829021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Using this: https://uk.bidvoy.net/i7_3770k/164
    It looks like it goes for about £150 or €170 in euro.

Kinda interested in upgrading my i5 3570K at the moment. I'll keep an eye on adverts if you end up selling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Using this: https://uk.bidvoy.net/i7_3770k/164
    It looks like it goes for about £150 or €170 in euro.

Kinda interested in upgrading my i5 3570K at the moment. I'll keep an eye on adverts if you end up selling :)

Ah now being realistic. You would be doing really well to get €170 tbh with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I've used my phone as a portable monitor.. if that counts, works over usb

Hey mate. Does this work in linux or such? I need to mirror a nas drive i use for my tv/videos to a larger size. But I am really lazy and CBA disconnecting my pc monitor, bringing everything over, etc etc..... If I could use this with Clonezilla or something it would make things much easier!

Doge wrote: »
    Just installed Windows 10 Pro for free using the assistive technologies upgrade.

Got a detailed procedure? I have a 500GB SSD sitting on my desk for the last 2 months as I havent been bothered to get around to installing Win10.

Did you require a Win7 CD Key? I have Win7 Enterprise on my PC, and that is not viable for the upgrade, so I didn't look into this too much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Yeah, you need a valid windows 7 installation and then go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Shougeki wrote: »
    Hey mate. Does this work in linux or such? I need to mirror a nas drive i use for my tv/videos to a larger size. But I am really lazy and CBA disconnecting my pc monitor, bringing everything over, etc etc..... If I could use this with Clonezilla or something it would make things much easier!
    have a look at this if you want to see about using it on linux https://github.com/brunodles/linux-second-screen

my advice would be to just vnc in to your linux box.. 100x more straight forward i'd say

Yeah, you need a valid windows 7 installation and then go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Well b*ll*x to that then. SSD can gather dust for a while. :P
    have a look at this if you want to see about using it on linux https://github.com/brunodles/linux-second-screen

my advice would be to just vnc in to your linux box.. 100x more straight forward i'd say

I actually just use a terminal for everything [with rutorrent & Sonarr on a web interface]. Problem is I am going to have to boot up off a clonezilla liveUSB and was really hoping I didnt need to move crap around physically to get this working :P

Shougeki wrote: »
    I actually just use a terminal for everything [with rutorrent & Sonarr on a web interface]. Problem is I am going to have to boot up off a clonezilla liveUSB and was really hoping I didnt need to move crap around physically to get this working :P

ah ok, no this wouldn't work like that looks like you'll have to bring a monitor

You don't a need a "valid" windows 7 install, just an "activated" one, nudge nudge, wink wink! ;)

Microsoft don't seem to care either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I saw people on here saying they refused to use parcel motel instead preferring a competitor not too long ago. Just curious why? I have to order something that's UK only delivery and still have a few euro in my account with them...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement