Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vladamir Putin a clear and present danger to peace in Europe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

sin_city wrote: »
    Why is it a NATO country in the first place?

Why is it in the EU in the first place? Estonia is an independent country, it decides its own policy, if the Russian Govt. Doesn't like it, fine,. What matters is what Estonia wants, not Putin,

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This new thing they call the information superhighway..... It's gonna be huge!
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Putin is that dangerous combination of solider, thug, politician and leader just like Hitler, Churchill, Stalin, Napoleon etc before him he is unafraid to hurt or even kill others to get what he wants and is beloved by his people, it will take a war to stop him and maybe, just maybe that is what he wants as he might have seen his fair share of action in the 70s and 80s in the KGB but now as the uncrowned Czar he has all the power and he is not afraid to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

K-9 wrote: »
    Why is it in the EU in the first place? Estonia is an independent country, it decides its own policy, if the Russian Govt. Doesn't like it, fine,. What matters is what Estonia wants, not Putin,

Ha ha...you eat what they feed you on the mainstream news I can see.

Just like Ukraine decides with help from Victoria Nuland?

Just like Stalin and Churchill agreed that Greece should be western controlled while the Soviets controlled Romania and Bulgaria?

Just like Bush senior agreed not to expand NATO in former Warsaw pact countries….oh wait a minute…

Again, why did NATO expand and place missiles in Poland and the like…Why was Victoria Nuland involved in placing Nazis into the Ukrainian government which overthrew the democratically elected one?

If you want to understand more about what Putin does try to answer these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Ha ha...you eat what they feed you on the mainstream news I can see.

You forgot to call everyone 'sheeple'.... you missed a trick.

Yes Sin.... Countries do indeed ask to join NATO & the EU.....free will & all that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2003

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Looks like the purge of the Tartars is up and running in Crimea then.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28680977
    ...The unexplained disappearance of a pro-Ukrainian Crimean Tatar at the end of May - weeks after Russia completed its annexation of Crimea - is contributing to a sense of nervousness among Tatars, now a minority on a peninsula they once dominated...
    ...He says all three men took part in a demonstration, way back in February, against the so-called self-defence forces that appeared on Crimea's streets in the build-up to its annexation by Russia, and he notes that Shaikmardanov had helped to supply food to Ukrainian military units trapped in their barracks by Russian troops and paramilitaries.

Krisko believes the three cases are linked, not only because the three men were all members of the same pro-Ukrainian organisation, but also because of the way they disappeared - one after the other.....
    ...Krisko reminds me that Reshat Ametov, a 38-year-old Crimean Tatar and human rights activist, disappeared on 3 March in Simferopol after he had been filmed by a local TV crew standing in silent protest before uniformed men and Crimean self-defence forces surrounding the Cabinet of Ministers building in Simferopol.

Two weeks later his body, bearing signs of torture, was found 50 km away. His hands were tied behind his back....

Life in Vladimirs Russia and illegally occupied Crimea is very dangerous if you don't say what the authorities want you could pay the ultimate price.

If these people don't value the lives of their own people then you can be damn sure they don't give a sausage about their neighbours. In Vlads eyes his neighbouring countries are nothing more than buffer zones.

It is not surprising that there is no real protest from the opposition in Russia it effectively has been dismantled.

Journalists have been silenced either by self censorship or via violence.
    Unsurprsingly, the high incidence of violence against journalists, including murders that frequently go unsolved, has not only created an atmosphere of official impunity but led to self-censorship by journalists.

Russia is near the top of the list of risky countries in the the annual ‘Impunity Index’ of the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), taking 9th place behind Iraq, Somalia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Afghanistan, Nepal and Mexico. In nine out of ten cases those responsible were not brought to justice, which makes killing a journalist a cheap, easy and practically risk-free method of silencing someone.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/od-russia/galina-arapova/media-freedom-in-russian-regions-you-must-be-joking%E2%80%A6

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

You forgot to call everyone 'sheeple'.... you missed a trick.

Yes Sin.... Countries do indeed ask to join NATO & the EU.....free will & all that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2003

You missed the trick of investigating my claims.....if you're going to be condescending at least look into that rather than ignore.

Actually no, you're right...everything the BBC is right and Putin is a fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You missed the trick of investigating my claims.....if you're going to be condescending at least look into that rather than ignore.

Actually no, you're right...everything the BBC is right and Putin is a fcuker.

Mod:

Look, if you are going to dismiss BBC links like that, well, we've got a problem here! The BBC is considered reputable, as is the Guardian and Times, whether you agree with that is irrelevant. There's a reason for that, they've built up that trust over decades and decades (that doesn't mean they haven't got things wrong, people make mistakes!).

I've no problem with you regarding them as biased, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you are going to constantly dismiss commonly regarded reputable sources on the politics forum, well we are starting to, not for the first time, go down sin_city's Conspiracy Theory route. That isn't what this forum is for, there's a CT forum dedicated to that on this very site, so it isn't that it isn't welcome on Boards, it's just that the politics forum is for people interested in discussing well, politics, not Conspiracy Theories that the BBC is out to get Putin and paint Russia in a bad light!

Any queries, pm me rather than derailing the thread and discussing it on here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nodin wrote: »
    Estonia is a member of Nato.

Link and quotes please.

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85955564

Kiev today. http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025348632
    a genuine and simple question for experts like gandalf and comeongethappy who seem to be very well informed on the Ukraine situation.
    Who exactly is in control of the Kiev government?

(the Kiev-1 volunteer battalion! sound like a right bunch of democrats to me)

• Advertisement

Kiev today. http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025348632
    a genuine and simple question for experts like gandalf and comeongethappy who seem to be very well informed on the Ukraine situation.
    Who exactly is in control of the Kiev government?

(the Kiev-1 volunteer battalion! sound like a right bunch of democrats to me)

And where is that post sourced from? RT! Hardly a bastion of impartiality.

Also given that the Ukraine is under proxy attack from their much larger neighbour I would expect internal issues within the country.

So Elmer a direct question for you. Do you believe that Russia are within their rights to annex part of a sovereign neighbour and then to continue to assist in the undermining of a significant area of that neighbours eastern border?

This topic is not just about the Ukrainian crisis it is about Russia's behaviour and her further intentions towards her neighbours. It is obvious that International Law is secondary to the territorial ambitions of the Putin administration. The current Ukrainian crisis is just the latest manifestation of this expansionist policy.

a genuine and simple question for experts like gandalf and comeongethappy

If taking you to school makes me an expert Elmer, you do a disserve to real experts!

However, Ukraine has tonnes of far-right folk.
    In that way they almost match Russia.
    And many of them are animals (Odessa for example).

I'm unsure what has to with Putin?
    (Other than ideologically they are peas in a pod).

gandalf wrote: »
    And where is that post sourced from? RT! Hardly a bastion of impartiality.

Also given that the Ukraine is under proxy attack from their much larger neighbour I would expect internal issues within the country.

So Elmer a direct question for you. Do you believe that Russia are within their rights to annex part of a sovereign neighbour and then to continue to assist in the undermining of a significant area of that neighbours eastern border?

This topic is not just about the Ukrainian crisis it is about Russia's behaviour and her further intentions towards her neighbours. It is obvious that International Law is secondary to the territorial ambitions of the Putin administration. The current Ukrainian crisis is just the latest manifestation of this expansionist policy.
    :confused: Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan - is Putin responsible for the murder and anarchy in these places? The murder of 700.000 East Timorese by an Indonesian regime armed and supported by Washington (I could go on all day)
    As far as I'm aware I haven't heard Putin support the murder of women and children in Gaza or the bombing of a power station which is a war crime under the Geneva Convention.
    International law! Don't make me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SeanW wrote: »

The question was as to the difference between Stalins crimes and Hitlers. Stalins aim was not the elimination of the Ukrainian people, and thus the deaths were incidental, in that genocide was not his goal. Please don't take my posts out of context like this, it's intellectual dishonesty of the worst order.
    I know that you consider these multiple acts of genocide by the Soviet Union to
    be "incidental"

You seemed to imply I've commented on others, specifically Estonia. Wheres the quote and link regarding that?

A country dependent on western food imports considering the barring of food imports....
    Russia is actually an exporter of grain and maize so sorry to disappoint you, Russians will not be queueing for bread this winter.
    By the way there is a very large country in South America called Brazil which has very close relations with Russia (BRICS)

:confused: Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan - is Putin responsible for the murder and anarchy in these places? The murder of 700.000 East Timorese by an Indonesian regime armed and supported by Washington (I could go on all day)
    As far as I'm aware I haven't heard Putin support the murder of women and children in Gaza or the bombing of a power station which is a war crime under the Geneva Convention.
    International law! Don't make me laugh!

No, he's just running a proxy war in Ukraine, went and annexed Crimea, runs an ongoing campaign in Chechnya that resembles what went on in El Salvador in the 1980's, seems to have decided to enshrine homophobia in law, cracked down on Russian "dissident" voices, organised a number of groups of supporters who could be at best described as 'facistic'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Nodin wrote: »
    No, he's just running a proxy war in Ukraine, went and annexed Crimea, runs an ongoing campaign in Chechnya that resembles what went on in El Salvador in the 1980's, seems to have decided to enshrine homophobia in law, cracked down on Russian "dissident" voices, organised a number of groups of supporters who could be at best described as 'facistic'.......

The Nazis and Fascist's are in Kiev, the Right Sector supported by the EU and US.

The Nazis and Fascist's are in Kiev, the Right Sector supported by the EU and US.

As a general point, it should be noted that just because A = Unsavoury Group, B is not rendered automatically its opposite ie 'Good'.

Please provide the proof that they are supported by the US and EU please and not RT or any other Russian State sponsored propaganda outlet please.

Russia is actually an exporter of grain and maize so sorry to disappoint you, Russians will not be queueing for bread this winter.
    By the way there is a very large country in South America called Brazil which has very close relations with Russia (BRICS)

Brazils 2nd largest export Market is the US (2012), they also do significant business with 3 other EU members in its top ten export markets ahead of Russia. I think you can be guaranteed if they start to "fill the gap" that you would find them coming under pressure and endangering displeasing bigger customers than Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Please provide the proof that they are supported by the US and EU please and not RT or any other Russian State sponsored propaganda outlet please.

Check out who The Right Sector are. IMO they are a band of mercenaries equiped by the Kiev junta, which is backed by the US/UN with arms and finance.

Check out who The Right Sector are. IMO they are a band of mercenaries equiped by the Kiev junta, which is backed by the US/UN with arms and finance.

That's not how it works my friend. If you make a statement YOU are expected to back it up with fact. Now please provide the proof that the US and EU support the Right Sector.

A man can't live on grains alone.
    Hence the vast food trade deficit..... which very much exists.

Brazil trades with many countries.... Many countries far more so than they do with Russia.

Not sure what on earth that has to do with your ongoing hard-on for Putin though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So...does that mean Putin's off the hook for his repressive rule?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Brazils 2nd largest export Market is the US (2012), they also do significant business with 3 other EU members in its top ten export markets ahead of Russia. I think you can be guaranteed if they start to "fill the gap" that you would find them coming under pressure and endangering displeasing bigger customers than Russia.
    Currently, from what I remember reading from BBC news, Brazil is quite miffed with the US over allegations of wide spread NSA surveillance activities in that country. Any measures which tweak the noses of their neighbours to the North would be likely prove populare with sections of the Brazillian populace who've had issues with them over the years. Thus might act as a distraction to internal issues (which perhaps Putin can advise them on.) hence any US pressure bluff might be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

My partner who's from eastern Europe says Putin wants Russia bigger and more power .I think eastern Europeans know Putin and what he's really about than us as they have family there and lived through it !!

A man can't live on grains alone.
    Hence the vast food trade deficit..... which very much exists.

Brazil trades with many countries.... Many countries far more so than they do with Russia.

Not sure what on earth that has to do with your ongoing hard-on for Putin though?
    More bad news for you. There was a guy on Drivetime who said that sanctions will basically only affect well off Russians who have money to spend on the more upmarket foodstuffs. He also said that Russia also does a huge trade (fruit and veg) with former Soviet republics in central Asia.
    So its not looking good for those with a pathological hatred bordering on racism of all things Russian, there will no famine in Russia and they will not die by the millions.
    Your personal abuse is immature and childish. Grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Bush senior agreed not to expand Nato into Warsaw Pact countries.
    RT propaganda
    It never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 .Magneto.

Vlad Putin is a great man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement