Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it frowned upon to question the holocaust?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Russian people had a higher death count than the Jewish people and there is not nearly half the drama made out of it.

Who's making "a drama" out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't think it's frowned upon to question the Holocaust but to deny it altogether is just shockingly bad form. I will say this though, and maybe risk getting banned or something, but in the history books and documentary and newspaper articles I've read throughout the years, there seems to be a sort of monopoly of tragedy growing towards the Jews.

What I mean by this is, there were over 6 million Jews, political dissidents, Homosexuals, Gypsies and others who were murdered systematically at the hands of the Third Reich. Over the years though, I've noticed that some people or newspapers or tv shows just say 6 million Jews. I honestly do not want to let it seem that it isn't a tragedy - that is a staggering loss of life in the cruelest way - be it 1 million or 100 people - but that the Jews weren't alone, and maybe we should try and remember the others who were lost too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 m4smith

You can go to prison for questioning the holocaust in several countries.
    The fact that a person can go to prison for expressing an opinion is disturbing to say the least.

Not when you KNOW people who ACTUALLY DID DIE!! my wife's extended family where all slaughtered. It happened, its not a matter of "opinion" its fact.

So you might question the numbers of people (I personally only know of about 150 who actually died) but you can't question the Holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

A more appropriate question should be, why do people question that the Holocaust happened?

It's like questioning gravity, you can have the opinion that it doesn't exist but it's still the wrong opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

old hippy wrote: »
    Who's making "a drama" out of it?

Steven Spielberg:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schindler's_List

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't think it's frowned upon to question the Holocaust but to deny it altogether is just shockingly bad form. I will say this though, and maybe risk getting banned or something, but in the history books and documentary and newspaper articles I've read throughout the years, there seems to be a sort of monopoly of tragedy growing towards the Jews.

What I mean by this is, there were over 6 million Jews, political dissidents, Homosexuals, Gypsies and others who were murdered systematically at the hands of the Third Reich. Over the years though, I've noticed that some people or newspapers or tv shows just say 6 million Jews. I honestly do not want to let it seem that it isn't a tragedy - that is a staggering loss of life in the cruelest way - be it 1 million or 100 people - but that the Jews weren't alone, and maybe we should try and remember the others who were lost too.

6 millions Jews died during the Holocaust The other groups are not included in that figure.

The next largest groups to be murdered were the Roma, with estimates of deaths up to 1.5 million:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

old hippy wrote: »
    Nail on the head. And I'm pretty sure some of the posters on those sort of threads aren't joking. They talk about "scumbags" ironically believing that advocating sterilising an entire swathe of people is somehow progress and elightenment :(
    Australia's figures are astounding because there have been over one thousand cases since 1992 (Yamaguchi, 1997).

http://www2.webster.edu/~woolflm/forcedsterilization.html

http://www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In my view it's perfectly healthy to question history and absolutely should not be regarded as evidence of racism or any other such bullsh!t. History is there to be investigated and questioned.

Personally I don't doubt that the Nazis did in fact have concentration camps in which they killed millions of people. But I have some doubts specifically about the gas chambers, simply because all of them were apparently blown up as the Allies were advancing - when people go to Auschwitz, they're actually looking at a reconstruction of what a gas chamber might have looked like. So in terms of hard evidence specifically for gas chambers, I'd question that. Testimony from people at the Nuremberg Trials could very easily have been coerced given how appallingly we know both armies behaved when it came to POWs. I'm not even suggesting that gas chambers weren't used as a method of execution, I'm simply saying that there's actually no first hand evidence for their existence - it's all based on witness testimony rather than on the hard fact of actually finding an intact gas chamber.
    I personally reckon it's more likely that people in concentration camps were used as slave labour until they died from overwork, malnutrition, disease, etc. I mean if you think about it, why kill six million people directly when you could be using them to augment your military-industrial complex instead? Six million people could build an absolute f*ckload of artillery which would otherwise probably bankrupt the country, so for me the idea of directly executing all those people instead of exploiting them has always seemed a bit bizarre.

Of course, this makes me an anti semite who thinks all Jews should die, all disabled people should be sterilized and Germany should reign supreme over the entire planet. Because, y'know, "zomg questioning history". :rolleyes:

http://www.nizkor.org/ftp.cgi/people/b/ftp.py?people/b/boeck.richard/boeck-testimony
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_H%C3%B6ss#Auschwitz_command
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrba-Wetzler_report

Wibbs wrote: »

... He told me he knew it was so wrong, just like hating any group is, but he had to focus on that, because what he realised was that we are all but a cold hungry week away from commiting "evil" and it doesn't even require a cold hungry week to get there and it was easier to reconcile that by saying "oh those X bastards would do that, but I/we wouldn't". That made him sleep easier, but he was also cursed with knowing why.....

That is an excellant post and an excellant line. It is within us all given the right environment and circumstances to be the SS gaurd at the gates or the prisoner behind the barbed wire. People too easily forget this I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rascasse wrote: »
    It's also worth clarifying the distinction between 'concentration camps' that existed in South Africa and elsewhere and the extermination camps that were created to murder Jews and gypsies, etc during the war. While many died in the concentration camps in SA it was a product of maladministration and disease and not due to policy or design. Whereas, the Nazi's extermination camps were created to kill as many people as quickly as possible. Completely different things even though most people refer to all of them as simply 'concentration camps'.

The Germans had two different types of camps. Death camps and slave labour camps. The latter were in places like Peenemünde.

Britain's concentration camps in Africa during the Boer War and latterly, their gulags in Kenya in the 1950s "merely" produced death a sideshow.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    Regarding the numbers, I'm all for having a debate about things but at this point I don't think the total can really be challenged. Various people have tried to work it out and there seems to be a consensus around the 5 to 6 millions figure. Most people who argue a number substantially lower are either pushing a rather unpleasant agenda or are complete nutters (often both).

A consensus on 5-6 million dead? Are you only counting the jews who died? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why does anyone need to question it? That is ignorant and disrespectful in the extreme.

We didn't have photoshop back then, that is all you need to know. It happened, and it should never happen again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jank wrote: »
    That is an excellant post and an excellant line. It is within us all given the right environment and circumstances to be the SS gaurd at the gates or the prisoner behind the barbed wire. People too easily forget this I feel.
    The scary part is J it often doesn't even require a hungry week. It didn't in the case of Nazi Germany.
    We didn't have photoshop back then, that is all you need to know.
    Not quite. Image manipulation has been around since photographs were invented. See the Soviet regime for some good examples, where previously favoured persons were deleted from official photos. One can't go by propaganda alone, no matter whose propaganda it is. With the extermination of "undesireables" within the Nazi sphere of influence you don't have to, as the mundane articles and records tell the story very well. Even if by wars end no camps had been found and those who ran them all kept quiet, you'd still be left with a millions sized hole in the population of Europe. It would have made it easier to deny, or rather ignore alright, but the reality would still be there.

An example I mentioned earlier would fall into the latter category. One million German men never came home after the war was won and hostilities had officially ended. Many of those died of exposure, starvation and by more direct means, often in camps previously used by the old regime. The "good guys" oversaw this. Then there was the mass rapes and killings of German women in the allied occupied areas. Vanishingly few women and girls above the age of ten of that generation escaped the attentions of allied soldiers(overwhelmingly Soviets, but not just them, the French were right bastards too at times). When was the last time you saw a history/discovery channel documentary on that? I'd bet the farm the vast majority reading this never even knew about it.

It's all about perspective and how "local" things are too. Few enough would know of the horrors the Japanese perpetrated on the Chinese in the same world war, where up to 20 million Chinese people were killed.

Humans are a funny old lot.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Holocaust happened, and 5-6 million Jews, 1-2 million Roma and a few million "others" were killed, it's a near unfathomable reality and something we should never forget.

But in the last 30 or 40 years, certain groups and individuals have made it into a sacred cow, something you can't even talk about and something they use to their own profit.
    People like Norman Finkelstein, in his books "The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering" and "Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History" along with the likes of Baruch Kimmerling (professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem), Benny Morris (professor at Ben-Gurion University in Be'er Sheva), Avi Shlaim (Iraqi Born Jewish Israeli citizen, professor at Oxford) have been trying to stop the misuse of Jewish suffering in Europe in the first half of the last century as justification for the actions of Israel since 1948 and fight against the idea that scholarly research of the events around, during and after the Holocaust is somehow to be discouraged.

From Wikipedia:
    "Finkelstein states that his consciousness of "the Nazi holocaust" is rooted in his parents' experiences in the Warsaw ghetto; with the exception of his parents themselves, "every family member on both sides was exterminated by the Nazis". Nonetheless, during his childhood, no one ever asked any questions about what his mother and father had suffered. He suggests, "This was not a respectful silence. It was indifference." It was only after the establishment of "the Holocaust industry", he suggests, that outpourings of anguish over the plight of the Jews in World War II began. This ideology in turn served to endow Israel with a status as "'victim' state" despite its "horrendous" human rights record."

The idea being, that AIPAC et al use the suffering of Jews in Europe 80 years ago as some sort of basis for Israel to justify their disgusting actions in the present and anyone who questions Israel is a anti-Semitic Nazi lover and anyone who questions their use of the holocaust as justification for their bigotry is a "denier".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

theSHU wrote: »
    Just to point out, they weren't banned for questioning the holocaust, they were banned for continually trolling the forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

humanji wrote: »
    Just to point out, they weren't banned for questioning the holocaust, they were banned for continually trolling the forum.

Aye, himself and another fella in the same thread seemed to have posted "the straw that broke the camel's back" and all that.

Their posts in and of themselves weren't worth banning but they'd been at it for fecking days (weeks in the other case).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

HansHolzel wrote: »
    You are not allowed to shout "Fire" in a crowded theatre either.

Fire! Danger Danger... Woo woo. FIRE!!! DANGER DANGER.. Woo Woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's all about perspective and how "local" things are too. Few enough would know of the horrors the Japanese perpetrated on the Chinese in the same world war, where up to 20 million Chinese people were killed.

The Rape of Nanking is a book I'd highly recommend to people on that subject.

Some deeply disturbing photos in it. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wes wrote: »
    6 millions Jews died during the Holocaust The other groups are not included in that figure.

The next largest groups to be murdered were the Roma, with estimates of deaths up to 1.5 million:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos
    That's from the very high estimates others are much lower.

IMHO the Holocaust was just one part of Lebensraum.

About 3 million Russian POW's died in the first few months of the war in the east.

Roughly speaking the Holocaust / excess civilian deaths in German occupied Europe was
    3 million Jewish Poles
    3 million non-Jewish Poles
    3 million non-Polish Jews
    3 million others

You may have heard of Oradour-sur-Glane a French village where all 642 of it's inhabitants were killed by the SS.

In Belarus they did that to 618 villages.
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/97924400@N00/4288930110/
    "Every 4th Belarusian died in the war: 2.2 million people, including the 380,000 deported to Germany as slave labourers, never to return. A staggering 209 cities and townships and 9,200 villages were destroyed. So catastrophic was the impact on the population that it wouldn't recover to its pre-war total until 1971.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An example I mentioned earlier would fall into the latter category. One million German men never came home after the war was won and hostilities had officially ended. Many of those died of exposure, starvation and by more direct means, often in camps previously used by the old regime. The "good guys" oversaw this.

Humans are a funny old lot.
    Of the 300,000 Germans surounded at Stalingrad , 90,000 lived to surrender and only about 5,000 ever made it home to Germany, some were held into the 1950's. Most who survived were Officers. Low ranks just didn't have a chance.

The French tried to use German POW's for slave labour after the war but couldn't because they hadn't been feeding them enough.

In terms of deaths WWII was three wars
    Japan vs. China 1937-45 ( > 22m , US casualties in Pacific 0.384m )

Germany vs. Russia (over 80% of German Army deaths were on the Eastern front )

When it comes to carnage all the other stuff you've heard of was just a sideshow.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    The Holocaust happened, and 5-6 million Jews, 1-2 million Roma and a few million "others" were killed, it's a near unfathomable reality and something we should never forget.

But in the last 30 or 40 years, certain groups and individuals have made it into a sacred cow, something you can't even talk about and something they use to their own profit.
    People like Norman Finkelstein, in his books "The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering" and "Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History" along with the likes of Baruch Kimmerling (professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem), Benny Morris (professor at Ben-Gurion University in Be'er Sheva), Avi Shlaim (Iraqi Born Jewish Israeli citizen, professor at Oxford) have been trying to stop the misuse of Jewish suffering in Europe in the first half of the last century as justification for the actions of Israel since 1948 and fight against the idea that scholarly research of the events around, during and after the Holocaust is somehow to be discouraged.

From Wikipedia:
    "Finkelstein states that his consciousness of "the Nazi holocaust" is rooted in his parents' experiences in the Warsaw ghetto; with the exception of his parents themselves, "every family member on both sides was exterminated by the Nazis". Nonetheless, during his childhood, no one ever asked any questions about what his mother and father had suffered. He suggests, "This was not a respectful silence. It was indifference." It was only after the establishment of "the Holocaust industry", he suggests, that outpourings of anguish over the plight of the Jews in World War II began. This ideology in turn served to endow Israel with a status as "'victim' state" despite its "horrendous" human rights record."

The idea being, that AIPAC et al use the suffering of Jews in Europe 80 years ago as some sort of basis for Israel to justify their disgusting actions in the present and anyone who questions Israel is a anti-Semitic Nazi lover and anyone who questions their use of the holocaust as justification for their bigotry is a "denier".

Em, most people don't like Israels actions in the Middle East but you will find many professional 'activists' solely concentrating their efforts on Israel and Israel alone, some go as far as comparing the treatment they dish to the Palestinians as equal to the Nazi's treatment to the Jews which you will agree is absurd.

On top of that many are strangely quiet on the treatment of Arab and Persian leaders towards their fellow country men and foreigners. Syria, Iran, Libya and Iraq of old. I have NEVER seen a protest on an Irish street condemning these regimes but a free Palestine protest is all but gauranteed. Left wing hypocrisy at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Of the 300,000 Germans surounded at Stalingrad , 90,000 lived to surrender and only about 5,000 ever made it home to Germany, some were held into the 1950's. Most who survived were Officers. Low ranks just didn't have a chance.

The French tried to use German POW's for slave labour after the war but couldn't because they hadn't been feeding them enough.

In terms of deaths WWII was three wars
    Japan vs. China 1937-45 ( > 22m , US casualties in Pacific 0.384m )

Germany vs. Russia (over 80% of German Army deaths were on the Eastern front )

When it comes to carnage all the other stuff you've heard of was just a sideshow.

A standard if the French was to use German POWs to demine areas after the war - I believe the Americans may even have'sold' the French some prisoners for this. Horrific attrition rate for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Em, most people don't like Israels actions in the Middle East but you will find many professional 'activists' solely concentrating their efforts on Israel and Israel alone, some go as far as comparing the treatment they dish to the Palestinians as equal to the Nazi's treatment to the Jews which you will agree is absurd.

On top of that many are strangely quiet on the treatment of Arab and Persian leaders towards their fellow country men and foreigners. Syria, Iran, Libya and Iraq of old. I have NEVER seen a protest on an Irish street condemning these regimes but a free Palestine protest is all but gauranteed. Left wing hypocrisy at its best.

...you missed the protest outside the Egyptian embassy, the demonstration against Turkish bombing of kurds.....?

Does lack of knowledge or support of one cause automatically undermine another? I've never heard of a march in support of West Papua, but I'm fairly sure that supporters of other campaigns are sincere and in honest sympathy with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

why is the Jewish Holocaust always mentioned as the most heinous barbaric act of the 20th century?

when the number of victims pales into insignificance to Stalin's "collectivizing" of farms and the engineering of a famine in the Ukraine in the 30ies, which in all fairness was by far the worst atrocity of the 20th Century

kingtiger wrote: »
    why is the Jewish Holocaust always mentioned as the most heinous barbaric act of the 20th century?

when the number of victims pales into insignificance to Stalin's "collectivizing" of farms and the engineering of a famine in the Ukraine in the 30ies, which in all fairness was by far the worst atrocity of the 20th Century

...because a lot of those deaths were incidental, whereas with the holocaust the entire purpose was to kill.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...because a lot of those deaths were incidental, whereas with the holocaust the entire purpose was to kill.

hahaha

so the millions of deaths in Stalin's Gulag's where also incidental

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In Belarus they did that to 618 villages.
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/97924400@N00/4288930110/

The camps tend to get a lot more exposure than the trail of destruction left by the Einsatzgruppen and even common soldiers.

hahaha

so the millions of deaths in Stalin's Gulag's where also incidental

....not all, but many were yes.

so Nodin "incidental" means Stalin did not intend for 7-10 million (conservative estimate) people to die from extermination by hunger

oh how about sending his troops into villages to take all the food available and then rounding up all the men and sending them to his Sibrian holiday camps, ah whoops he didn't mean for those lads to die either

• Advertisement

so Nodin "incidental" means Stalin did not intend for 7-10 million (conservative estimate) people to die from extermination by hunger

It was largely incidental, as far as I understand it.
    oh how about sending his troops into villages to take all the food available and then rounding up all the men and sending them to his Sibrian holiday camps, ah whoops he didn't mean for those lads to die either

Not all of them, as it would have been more economic to shoot them locally and be done with it..

Advertisement