Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much € should parents take off grown-up children towards their keep per week

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

Also, do your sisters bring home their dirty washing?

As often as I do.
    and have dinners handed up to them most days?

I'd be interested for you to find the post where I said I have dinners handed up to me everyday? Quite difficult when I'm not actually living at home. When they are home they get dinner there. Who makes the dinner varies and believe it or not I've cooked far more dinner for them than they for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

My brothers were great. They wanted to help but they weren't allowed. Any time they wanted to cook, my mother would push them aside and take over for them. I remember once my brother was paid handsomely for a stint of work and he came home with rolls of 50s and handed my mam money or tried to and she refused to take it.

Me and my brothers would get up at about the same for work around 7. My mam would also rise early and she'd be in kitchen preparing packed lunches for them. They never asked for that or wanted it and she was more in the way than anything else.

Try harder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I'm not actually living at home. When they are home they get dinner there. Who makes the dinner varies and believe it or not I've cooked far more dinner for them than they for me.
    I'd be interested for you to find the post where I said I have dinners handed up to me everyday?
    Right, so you are only there at the weekends ......

Try this one
    I did roast beef for the first time ever myself recently, its something I have basically eaten almost every Sunday but cooked by my mother or an occasional carvery and to be honest by the time it came to eating it I didn't really enjoy it half as much as I normally would because of the effort that went into it and that was with two of us working on it.

This is especially so when you don't like cooking (like me) and then there is all the tidying up. It also meaning being around the house all afternoon if you want to have dinner by 7pm.

Or this one
    I'd have a roast a lot of sundays too, especially when I'm up home as we have always had roast beef nearly every sunday. I dont tend to cook it myself though so if its not cooked for me and I feel like it I'd go for a carvery.

Words directly from your own mouth, not mine or anybody else.

zarquon wrote: »
    It's still special preferential treatment of a son over daughters that you are a beneficiary of and one that you find very fair with no problem. You have no recourse to be outraged then at people for suggesting that are in a situation where sons are treated preferentially over daughters as you yourself have confirmed this..

You are making very big assumptions as you have been throughout the thread, there is other things people can be left you know other than land. In fact land that you would never intend on selling is not exactly going to make much difference to you financially at all.
    If you have a phd in a non agricultural field, will you really give that up to go back to farming? If not then aren't you just accepting the land knowing you will either sell it or pass the buck to someone else to take care of it

Completely unrelated but that is totally irrelevant. Like many farms it would be farmed part-time along with a full-time off farm job (as it currently is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Try this one

Or this one

That's some fine detective work there :D
    You are making very big assumptions as you have been throughout the thread, there is other things people can be left you know other than land. In fact land that you would never intend on selling is not exactly going to make much difference to you financially at all.

It is if you are going to build a house on the land unless of course you will gift some of the land to your sisters to build a house too.

Completely unrelated but that is totally irrelevant. Like many farms it would be farmed part-time along with a full-time off farm job (as it currently is)

So are you planning on farming it part time yourself or outsourcing it? That point is ambiguous from your response

• Advertisement

That's some fine detective work there :D
    Pop over to the Garth Brooks thread for the attitudes to motoring law :D

Try this one

Or this one

So I don't do the roasts, so what? There are other meals and other days too you know. Some pathetic posting going on here.

Also as I am only home at weekends (and it's not every weekend). Parents obviously like to treat their visiting children so like to cook dinner from them. Were I living at home I would be doing my fair share of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I feel like we have just found the uber culchi version of Ross O'Carroll Kelly:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I feel like we have just found the uber culchi version of Ross O'Carroll Kelly:P

I was just thinking along the same lines. The whole thing reads like parody and satire.
    Parents obviously like to treat their visiting children so like to cook dinner from them. Were I living at home I would be doing my fair share of cooking.
    believe it or not I've cooked far more dinner for them than they for me.

Such conflicting statements even on the same page. Completely lack of consistency to your rebuttals on here. :eek:

Mark Twain has some good advice for people to help instil consistency in their posts

http://worldlyminds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/227870_477359115619605_827369040_n.jpg

It is if you are going to build a house on the land unless of course you will gift some of the land to your sisters to build a house too.

If they want sites they will be given them directly.
    So are you planning on farming it part time yourself or outsourcing it? That point is ambiguous from your response

Doing it myself, It's something I very much enjoy.

• Advertisement

Some pathetic posting going on here.
    This is why you are doing yourself no favours on here. If you disagree with anything or anyone, your reaction is simply to use words like pathetic or crazy, or just blindly ignore the point. It is your only form of argument, you post no facts to back up your accusations.
    We are still waiting to hear what you do for your mother that is way in excess of the rest of us.

It doesn't just extend to arguments on here. It appears to be an overall thing which leads to the validation by some posters here that you do not take responsibility.

Possibly your most concerning post on boards is this one
    Plenty of roads have crazy low limits. There is piece of dual-carriage way in Galway city with a 50km/h limit on it for instance. I have comfortably gone well north of 130km/h on it on occasion.
    That is dangerous little boy racer territory and an indication that no favours have been done for you or by you, by having everything done for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I was just thinking along the same lines. The whole thing reads like parody and satire.

I can't help suspecting at least a degree of performance art to it. Nobody could really be that much of a throwback to 1970. Or perhaps an imitation of a John B. Keane character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't understand why or how this happens but i know it is common. Brothers and sisters living at home together and the sisters contribute whereas the brothers are not expected to contribute at all. Some Irish mothers need to be ashamed of themselves as it's primarily the mothers that initiate this type of scenario. I really don't understand the fascination that Irish mothers have with babying their sons but treating their daughters very differently.

This whole thread is full of examples of daughters being treated as second class citizens compared to their brothers. It's outrageous. The sooner the mammy boy culture dies in this country the better. I take my hat off to any woman who has to put up with that nonsense and would happily lend some big boots to help kick some brothers up the arse which is very much needed. Someone else needs to kick these types of mothers up the arse because they need it too! :mad:

In my case I got a part time job when I was 15. Paid for pretty much everything myself after that. Moved out when I went to college, all paid for by myself and I also got a bit of a grant. If I ever asked my Mother for money (which was very rare) she would kick up a bit of a fuss and be like "you have a part time job, what do you spend your money on?!"

But with my brother it was no problem. He is 22 and she still pays for his car insurance, doctors appointments etc... Even though he gets dole money and does the odd job here and there. He is going back to college next year and will be living at home for the next 3 years while he is doing his course. And he will be getting back to education allowance.

Saying that, I've a great relationship with my Mother. And I'm very independent anyway. It just annoys me that my brother is 22 in still treated like a 14 year old.

Oh well. I finished college last year, have a great job, and I'm making a lot more money than the average 25 year old. Let's see how my brother does. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Another poster who makes up rubbish and posts it as fact, completely made up bull. I don't even know what you are talking about. However if you are suggesting my situation is like the ones being described by some posters where certain family members get special treatment over others you are 100% incorrect.

I really can't understand the complete and utter lies and nonsense the likes if you and a few others are directing at me. It's total fiction.

point out what lies i told please?

Such conflicting statements even on the same page. Completely lack of consistency to your rebuttals on here. :eek:

There is no conflict, I was referring to cooking more often for my sisters than they for me, I thought it was quite obvious from the post.

That is dangerous little boy racer territory and an indication that no favours have been done for you or by you, by having everything done for you.

This post is very relevant to the thread :rolleyes:. You are easily shocked too if this bothered you.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    point out what lies i told please?

You were implying that I was being brought up as a master and my other siblings as slaves. This is a completely untrue and I'm therefore calling it a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You were implying that I was being brought up as a master and my other siblings as slaves. This is a completely untrue and I'm therefore calling it a lie.

So you're not going to pass onto your sons the mentality that they will inherit the land and therefore are more important than their female siblings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

You are easily shocked too if this bothered you.

Ah, a favourite utterance from you.

Doing twice the speed limit? Completely dangerous, inconsiderate, selfish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Up until a few months ago Grigori Perelman was unemployed and lived with his mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

I have a friend who at 25 has never lived out of home. She has literally no concept of how the real world works.
    She has a pass business degree and does not know what a mortgage is, or how to apply for one.
    She has no concept of money management, its like shes still 15 years old mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

In can see Graysen Gray Sergeant's point about the farm to be honest and I don't even come from a farming backround. If a workable size farm gets divvied out among siblings it fragments away to nothing in a few generations and that's no good to anyone..... best leave it one who will work it and pass it on in at least as good a shape as they got it.

If i was a sister though I would expect to be given a site or a share of the spoils if Nox did sell it.... bit unfair otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I have a friend who at 25 has never lived out of home. She has literally no concept of how the real world works.
    She has a pass business degree and does not know what a mortgage is, or how to apply for one.
    She has no concept of money management, its like shes still 15 years old mentally

I moved out a few days after my 25th birthday, but I'd been contributing to the household and had been in full time education before then. I also did a J1 when I was 20 which certainly hammered home the concept of money management!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

McTigs wrote: »
    In can see Nox001s point about the farm to be honest and I don't even come from a farming backround. If a workable size farm gets divvied out among siblings it fragments away to nothing in a few generations and that's no good to anyone..... best leave it one who will work it and pass it on in at least as good a shape as they got it.

If i was a sister though I would expect to be given a site or a share of the spoils if Nox did sell it.... bit unfair otherwise

I understand the farm thing if it's to be kept going but if it's sold no reason the proceeds should just go to one sibling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

I moved out a few days after my 25th birthday, but I'd been contributing to the household and had been in full time education before then. I also did a J1 when I was 20 which certainly hammered home the concept of money management!

My friend doesnt contribute in any monetary way to da household. She worked full time for 2 years after Uni and spent all her wages on make up and tan. Fair enough if she was saving for a house or something. Her parents are thinking of buying a car to give her some 'independence' ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My son will start work on Monday in a clothes shop. His hours will vary but he will be on a minimum of 8 hours contract. If he works 8 hours he will hand up €10 euro and make sure he has bus fare to get himself to and from work. If he was to work say 35 hours I would expect him to hand up between €80 and €100

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

And a long and lucrative career as an anonymous mandarin in The Department of Finance awaits her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Why not ? These people with the self entitled attitudes were generally raised that way. So fairly easy to avoid.

When I think about it. If I have to take off money from grown-up children wouldn't it be better and more affordable to not have them in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

764dak wrote: »
    When I think about it. If I have to take off money from grown-up children wouldn't it be better and more affordable to not have them in the first place?

You do realise they are not born fully grown?

Advertisement