Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling transfers/rumours 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ohh I know that but even still think he doesn't have the legs anymore to even do that properly. Super domestiques work far harder than GC candidates.

Isnt he good mates with Sagan?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think he'll do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

He's been bought as a domestique, not a GC contender.

Agreed, I think he will do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

when does the exodus from saxo start?

surely roche, the sorenson's, benatti, maybe paulinho are all out the door now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

retalivity wrote: »
    when does the exodus from saxo start?

surely roche, the sorenson's, benatti, maybe paulinho are all out the door now

We're they not shown up as weak this year. Their team for the vuelta is muck and they will need a decent team for the spring classics to support sagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

logik wrote: »

He'll be great company for Oleg when he rides ahead of the stages of next years TdF, it's the only way I can see him doing anything useful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

logik wrote: »

I don't get the Basso thing at all. Unless Tinkov got him for next to nothing, its an odd deal IMO, there are far better/fitter/younger/stronger SDs who would do the job for Sagan or Contador. I'm not saying Roche would be far better (though I think he has shown that is is) but Basso, seriously ?
    Perhaps Roche did ask too much to continue in the role and Basso is paying for his seat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In their press release for Basso they said 4 people will be leaving shortly. One retiring (cant remember who) and they expect personal announcements soon.

Edit:

Taken from cyclenews
    Feltrin also confirmed that at least four riders would leave the team at the end of the season. Karsten Kroon is expected to retire this season and although Nicolas Roche has been offered a new deal the Irishman is set to join another WorldTour team – rumoured to be Team Sky.

“We have four riders who are almost certain to leave the team. I’d prefer for them to announce their futures but one is probably Kroon, who I think will retire. There might be a few more that leave but there will not be a massive turn around, with maybe four or five riders leaving and the same number joining.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rein Taaramae has signed for Astana after 8 years at Cofidis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

We're they not shown up as weak this year. Their team for the vuelta is muck and they will need a decent team for the spring classics to support sagan.

I think thats a very harsh assesment of things.

Roche / Majika were their GC guys for the Giro. Nico crashed early and that was that and Majika did a good job to get a top 5 in the GC

Bertie crashes in Le Tour at a point where their strong support team had already lost any GC hopes. Romans passport findings forced them to shoehorn Majika into the squad.

Meaning Rodgers, Nico and Majika had all done the frist 2 GT's

Im sure the plan was to send Majika & either Bertie or Krueziger to the Vuelta to challenge for GT glory.

I wouldnt say their squad was weak but circumstances forced their hand re lineups.

Granted they had a poor classics season but they have done ok outside that.

GC wins in the Rud du Sud, Tour of Luxembourg, Tour of Denmark, Tour of Poland, Tirenno Adriatico, Tour of the Basque Country 5 GT stage wins, the Polka dot jersey, 2nd in the Dauphine, 2nd in the Volta a Catyluna, 2nd in Volta a Algarve

They are right up there in the UCI team rankings so yes poor classics season and unfortunate with crashes in the GT's but shown up as a weak team this year. No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

SKY were the weaker team this year by a long shot

BTW Majka was 6th/7th in Giro AFAIK

TCS will find it harder next year without the like of Kreuz & Roche on dom duties
    Contador & Majka wanting to ride lead in GT/stage races....And Sagan needing support to win
    Many stars not enough good support IMO......guess if you have Contador & Sagan you have spent a pretty penny...but you do need top class doms to support them
    Can imagine (as Roche has done imo) not many riders will want to go to TCS without a massive pay packet as not much hope of riding for yourself...and even then hard to give up all personal ambition

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MPFG wrote: »
    SKY were the weaker team this year by a long shot

BTW Majka was 6th/7th in Giro AFAIK

TCS will find it harder next year without the like of Kreuz & Roche on dom duties
    Contador & Majka wanting to ride lead in GT/stage races....And Sagan needing support to win
    Many stars not enough good support IMO......guess if you have Contador & Sagan you have spent a pretty penny...but you do need top class doms to support

basso , rodgers, sorenson and paulhino with a fast improving beltran gives them plenty of good dom support in the mountains for the GTs even without Nico or Roman

They may very well have Eddy Bos and Bennatti to support Sagan in the classics and in the GTs Sagan wont get nor does he need thexsupport to get the green jersey anyway.

Id go as far as saying they look like having a far more potent squad next year give the improvement curve of Majika and Beltran alongside a big upgrade to their classics team.

They may be a bit light for LBL Amstel Gold and La Fleche but outside of that its pretty good.

Hell knowing Oleg they probably snatch Betancur up on a whim aswell ;-)

Well I don't agree

Basso is too old , Paulinho & CAS not good enough in mountians as already seen
    Beltran is not up there yet and not sure when he will be
    Rogers only strong mountain DOM
    and they want to win more than one GT

As for EBH ...he won't sign wt them imo
    Bennatti will ahve alot of DOM duties given he also rides GTs

Need top doms ...which they don't have (except Rogers) ...to beat Froome & Quintana
    Anyway time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

If Roche goes to Sky where does he fit in alongside the likes of Porte & Thomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

neris wrote: »
    If Roche goes to Sky where does he fit in alongside the likes of Porte & Thomas?

Based on this season surely he goes above Porte anyway. I can't believe the disimprovement Porte seems to have had in 1 year.

Porte I think needs Froome with him. Porte will work himself into the ground for Froome but I dont think he has the same qualities as a top GC contender.

Porte has been ill...he had a bad year ...it happens ....could come back next year and win lots of stage races....Not sure he has consistency for GTs though

I don't want Nico to go to SKY but if he does I imagine he wil be looking for lead at the Vuelta ....If Porte leads any GT it will be the Giro

Geraint & Kennaugh have talked about wining a GT but I think the need some more time if they are serious
    Anyway Thomas will no doubt want to target cobbles classics next year
    Nieve & Deignan are good climber but can't see them leading in a GT

There is talk of Wout Poels joining SKY...he is a very good climber & TTer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Porte has been ill...he had a bad year ...it happens ....could come back next year and win lots of stage races....Not sure he has consistency for GTs though

I don't want Nico to go to SKY but if he does I imagine he wil be looking for lead at the Vuelta ....If Porte leads any GT it will be the Giro

Geraint & Kennaugh have talked about wining a GT but I think the need some more time if they are serious
    Anyway Thomas will no doubt want to target cobbles classics next year
    Nieve & Deignan are good climber but can't see them leading in a GT

There is talk of Wout Poels joining SKY...he is a very good climber & TTer

There is the matter of a couple of Henao's though...

I'd like to see Nico at Sky if he'd got the same opportunities for himself (i.e. lead at the Vuelta/Giro and a couple of stage races). Would be nice to see him and Deignan on the same team and both supporting Froome-Dog at a TDF

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Edvald Boasson Hagen will ride for MTN Qhubeka next year according to Sadhbh O'Shea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Velo News states "leaving the team is Nicholas Roche, who heads to Team Sky" in a piece about Mick Rogers:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/finding-balance-michael-rogers-teamwork-happiness-comes-next_342791

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

bah!

EBH to MTN Qhubeka.

Robert Kiserlovski has signed for Tinkoff-Saxo next year. Great move for both sides

Robert Kiserlovski has signed for Tinkoff-Saxo next year. Great move for both sides

Not sure why its great on both sides except maybe Kiserlovski gets a good pay raise

I am hoping Roche to Trek in replacement...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Adam Blyth heading down under with Orica next year apparently.

Farrar to MTN as well - just announced on MTN Site.

So its Poels , Konig & Roche to SKY ......quite a difficult place to get GT leadership I'd say

So its Poels , Konig & Roche to SKY ......quite a difficult place to get GT leadership I'd say

Poels, Konig, Roche, Nordhaug and Viviani to Sky I believe.

I am not sure the Viviani rumour has legs

But yes re Nordhag

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Poels, Konig, Roche, Nordhaug and Viviani to Sky I believe.

Great signings, and in fairness they needed them.

Advertisement