Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain with embedded thunderstorms & flash flood risk - South, East - Aug 1-3

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Noteworthy rain totals for yesterday:

84.0mm Dublin AP
    57.2mm Casement
    54.4mm Mullingar
    44.0mm Oak Park
    32.0mm at Ballyhaise

Need to wait until tomorrow to see Dunsany and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Calibos wrote: »
    Ah, now I see why MT name-checked Bray in particular yesterday. The circulation still arcing across the country is still aimed directly at Bray. :D

That said, after yesterday evening the Dublin Mountains have soaked up the bulk of it before it got to us. Sporadic rain since yesterday evening as opposed to constant as it would look on rain today unless one zoomed in.

We needed it though tbh. Most rain since mid June has missed us or been not worth a damn by the time it got to us, even the big storm a few weeks ago.
    Roving reporter WB has just arrived back from a wet and miserable 13c in North Dublin to a sunny and breezy 18c in Arklow.
    Roads were bone dry from the Cullenmore apple green south.
    Beautiful day down here in fact.Incredible difference!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Noteworthy rain totals for yesterday:

84.0mm Dublin AP
    57.2mm Casement
    54.4mm Mullingar
    44.0mm Oak Park
    32.0mm at Ballyhaise

0.0 mm Mace Head
    0.0 mm Roches Point
    0.0 mm Sherkin Island

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashing rain here again in north meath, well over 5 inches since 10pm friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

AA Roadwatch reporting that M1 southbound is closed between J4 Donabate and J2 Dublin Airport due to flooding. Was out driving myself around 8:30pm and conditions were very bad and still deteriorating. It's a night to be staying in people!

The M1 southbound remained closed overnight and this morning. AA Roadwatch reporting it is back open now though. Significant spot flooding generally around Swords and Dublin Airport. Reports here stating over 80mm of rain recorded at at the aerodrome are conservative in my view. I would have had it just over the 100mm mark judging by what I see in containers in my back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I would have had it just over the 100mm mark judging by what I see in containers in my back garden.

i cleaned these out and emptied them saturday night.. with the water charges on the way im ragin im not harvesting all of it!

d5Nbjz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Tipping down here. 11.4mm so far.

I see Dublin AP recorded 16.5mm between 4am and 5am.

I know I'm quoting an old(ish) post here in the grand scheme of things but I drove from Rathfarnham to the airport and part of the "N1" in Drumcondra was barely passable and all the drains were overflowing at about 430am. Scary stuff.

It was quite funny to see loads of people at Quickpark in shorts and a tshirt getting drenched and since I was going to Glasgow (where the rain would be a few hours later) I was head to toe in waterproofs. :D

The bonus for boards is that the whole trip was recorded on my dashcam and its just a matter of getting it posted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The bonus for boards is that the whole trip was recorded on my dashcam and its just a matter of getting it posted now.

Oh please do! I'd be really interested in seeing some of the floods. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArUMf4DaTJE

As promised. Its about 30m long so pick and choose. Information in description. Brutal drive, thats for sure. HD available, SD looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

As promised. Its about 30m long so pick and choose. Information in description. Brutal drive, thats for sure. HD available, SD looks awful.

Fascinating, I'm watching this to the ending soundtrack of Harry Potter Part Two. The combination is sooooo coool.

Did you deliberately turn off your radio?

Massive thanks for that, I forget myself so much and it can be really annoying. Thumbs Up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's a bit of rain and you'll be fine so long as you take it handy and your car's tyres are legal.

Made it down and back in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's a map showing total rainfall amounts from Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd. Where rain is shown in the southwest, most or all of that fell on Friday alone.

Besides the full complement of daily data Met-Eireann stations, I have added three Boards reports for Tralee, Waterford and northeast Meath where the rain gauge overflowed at 125 mm. That report does not include 1st or 3rd as far as I know. So it could be closer to 150 mm. It will be of interest to discover whether any second-order climatological stations in the Met roster have similar high totals in that vicinity.

The Northern Ireland and Isle of Man reports are taken from "daily synop reports" on Ogimet.

An estimate for Wicklow is based largely on one Boards report from Arklow where 28 mm fell by mid-day Saturday and that was about the extent of the rainfall there.

Several other reports on Boards were close enough to station reports already on the map that I could not display them, plus they were not necessarily totals for the three days. If anyone wants to add their 1-3 August totals below, I can work up a better and final report. The "isohyet" lines at every 10 mm have the same colour codes as the range in the 10 mm below e.g. the light green line is 40 mm as it runs to the heavy side of all reports 30.0-39.9 that are in light green.

I gave up trying to fit isohyets around 80 mm and just showed one more for 100 mm which is more or less Meath.

317388.jpg

Somewhat improved version of map follows, edited to final stage after discussing observations from Rock Lesnar in Meath, will go with 127 mm as a reliable reading:

317577.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Hi MT im guessing the north east meath part are my posts your referring to, it was from 10pm friday night to 1am sunday morning where we had the most rain here when we had about 120mm but overall it reached 127mm over the 3 days.

Now judging by other reports, i'm now a bit sceptical about my totals and may have a problem with the gauge as other reports clearly didnt get near the amount of rain i got.

Dublin airport report 108mm so far this month so my readings may not be to far off after all :)

Now judging by other reports, i'm now a bit sceptical about my totals and may have a problem with the gauge as other reports clearly didnt get near the amount of rain i got. :)

Back it up with physical collectors. In events like this a local football field could get 100mm of rain and the road leading into it remain dry.

Whilst all these weather stations have large error values and the cheaper they are the greater the disparities but I too have been at odds with my official local airport where I routinely report and catch more rain.

When one has an overflowing physical reservoir it's more evidence as to your WS's accuracy ~ BTW, wind, birds and animals can set off the WS rain gauge.

Okay then, have edited map slightly after reading the above, but radar was showing that Dublin Airport was not necessarily the highest accumulation at 91.1 mm and maximum appeared to be close to location of poster above, have gone with a more conservative 100 mm on the map but quite possibly there were places in the "red zone" with 125 mm over the three days.

And yes I am on holiday, my internet time is just in odd bits and pieces and not at good times to do forecasts, plus I find it very helpful to clear my mind of forecast type routines for two weeks each year, and then by this weekend we will be on the road and off the grid for seven or eight days entirely. Hoping to get some spectacular cloud and/or scenery shots as a result (from Nevada, Utah, northern Arizona). In contrast to Dublin, have not seen a drop of rain around here for at least three weeks.

And yes I am on holiday,

What are you doin here then, shoo, shoo, enjoy your break. :)

Hey, I am enjoying the break from forecasting, I have even resisted the temptation to peek so I have no idea what Bertha might be doing or not doing, etc ... this other stuff just takes a minute. Will be totally off the grid for about ten days once they finish working on my vehicle later today. Anyway, had an off-forum chat with Rock and it seems he has good exposure and a reliable gauge, so my final edit on that map will follow and I will use his 127 mm data. Last word from me on this anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Enjoy the break MT, we'll be working you hard for the winter (hopefully) !!!

Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

vicwatson wrote: »
    Enjoy the break MT, we'll be working you hard for the winter (hopefully) !!!

Have a good one.

and don't develop a golf elbow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement