Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 any1butdublin3

budsalt wrote: »
    Besides all the kneecapping,kidnaps,executions and other punishments dished to the RC people in N/Ireland we also have Omagh and Enniskillen as well.

It would do the protesters well to remember the atrocities carried out by republicans on the people of N/Ireland.

Yes but it wasn't the police force of the country who were helping the republicans was it, the leaders supported the loyalists to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm not saying it's easy for anyone to move on.

I'm just saying I hope and pray they'll find a way eventually because dwelling on the past and allowing to poison the present will not help anyone.

And I say again, pretending the Irish were completely innocent in all this is madness.
    anyone in the BA who murdered civilians in NI and who are still alive should be constantly reminded of what they did, future generations should know also your "move on" crap is simpleton nonsense and the typical sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened nonsense that is rife in irish society

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

Mosby61 wrote: »
    It is the biggest Republican myth. Most of Ulster was never in a Irish Republic.

How is that a Republican myth?? the whole point of Republicanism back as far as when Mick signed the treaty was to eventually lay claim to the whole Island.

It comments like that which shows why Nationalists in the North feel abandoned by a section of their countrymen.

A united Ireland wouldnt be the Republic with the other counties tacked on it would be a brand new Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pojfexcsc wrote: »
    How is that a Republican myth?? the whole point of Republicanism back as far as when Mick signed the treaty was to eventually lay claim to the whole Island.

A united Ireland wouldnt be the Republic with the other counties tacked on it would be a brand new Republic.

The post I was quoting mentioned "returning the north back under irish rule" however the north was never under the rule of an independant united ireland government so it technically cant be returned....

VinLieger wrote: »
    My god the armchair republicanism of "dem brits did dis and dat to us" popping up in this thread is as hilarious as it is depressing

Living in Anglo Dublin it is easy to see why you would think that, elsewhere us culchies who have been the victims of British thugery since medieval times have different opinions.

• Advertisement

Living in Anglo Dublin it is easy to see why you would think that, elsewhere us culchies who have been the victims of British thugery since medieval times have different opinions.

LOL chip on shoulder much? Its cute you think you can identify and actually try to trace your family back to medieval times as if you have owned the same patch of land you currently inhabit since the 1200's

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

The post I was quoting mentioned "returning the north back under irish rule" however the north was never under the rule of an independant united ireland government so it technically cant be returned....

So you being needlessly pedantic, clearly your man would of meant return Ireland to you know, the Irish.

Northern Ireland was never under Irish rule so how can it be returned back under Irish rule?

Also you are saying you will fight in mine and others names even though we don't want you to?

I think you are ignoring the fact that the lands of modern Northern Ireland were ruled by Irish kings for 1500+ years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

In other words, at a distance where their objections can be ignored and go unacknowledged. Fair enough. I haven't, though. :p

Then what are you saying? Its either one or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

anyone in the BA who murdered civilians in NI and who are still alive should be constantly reminded of what they did, future generations should know also your "move on" crap is simpleton nonsense and the typical sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened nonsense that is rife in irish society

Ok so lets have a look at Bob*. Bob was born in Manchester in 1988, his father served in the British Army in Northern Ireland before Bob was born. Why the hell should Bob feel need a constant reminder of what his Dad might have done years before he was born. It has absolutely nothing to do with him.

*clearly Bob is a fictional character.

• Advertisement

LOL chip on shoulder much? Its cute you think you can identify and actually try to trace your family back to medieval times as if you have owned the same patch of land you currently inhabit since the 1200's

Maybe you think that Irish people speaking the ancient language that their ancestors spoke is also "cute"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Maybe you think that Irish people speaking the ancient language that their ancestors spoke is also "cute"?
    Now that's a whole AH Topic in its own right :)

Also, like it or not, to convince the population of NI to want to join the Republic, you have to make the places seem somewhat palatable for them to do so. Things like not acting like deranged loons at the mere mention of the Royal Family paying a visit or commemorating the Irish that died while wearing British uniform is one of the things that we can do to make this so.

Of course that's probably all too logical to the republican fans of British soccer clubs... :rolleyes:

snaphook wrote: »
    Were any of them wearing the new Man U jersey?

I have to laugh at that argument, what about all those British that follow the NFL and even go to the games in Wembley, do you think they would like England to be a part of the USA? politics has no room in sport

Not sure what that has to do with anything but no I in fact respect people who have the perseverance to overcame the inherent flaws of our education systems broken attempts to force Irish on the population and manage to actually become fluent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm not trying to sweep anything under any rug.

I'm just saying that allowing what was done in the past to consume us now is self destructive and will not allow anyone to move forward.

Anyone involved in any atrocity on any side should be held to account of course.

I have to laugh at that argument, what about all those British that follow the NFL and even go to the games in Wembley, do you think they would like England to be a part of the USA? politics has no room in sport

No its the fact that people who actively hate and despise England and its people manage to not see the ridiculousness in the fact that they then worship a sport it created and its teams above our own national sport and teams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And please don't try and say you meant something else, it was clear from your 'it would shut them up' comment that you had no idea of the relationship between SF and RSF/EIrigi etc.
    It isn't SF's fault if southern Irish 'citizens' are confused...educate yourself before commenting.

Bloody idiot.

Telling me I don't know the difference between Sinn Fein and Republican Sinn Fein? And Eirigi FFS?!!!

Look pal, I've forgotten more about the northern troubles, the dissidents and indeed Irish history as a whole than you'll ever know. I can guarantee you that.

The "that would shut them up" comment was clearly aimed at the people blaming SF for this protest. They can keep on going smearing SF to their heart's content but if SF came out and denounced the nature of this protest and highlighted the nature of RFS and those other groups a bit more often, they'd gain more respect from the average southern citizen and it would also have the effect of neutralising the effect of the virulent anti-Sinn Feiners.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    Isn't that all that these protesters where doing, making it clear what they believe in?

Shouting and roaring at a remembrance service for Irish people killed in a war that had noting to do with the northern troubles etc?

I think its you who needs educating pal.

Fukking Disso

Not sure what that has to do with anything

You think it is cute that someone whos ancestors have been viewed as inferior people by the English for 500+ years (up until recent years) feels like they have a right to not push things under the carpet and act like us and the english are top buddies

No its the fact that people who actively hate and despise England and its people manage to not see the ridiculousness in the fact that they then worship a sport it created and its teams above our own national sport and teams

Most republicans follow the GAA as their main sporting games in fairness. Soccer would always be 2nd.

Their is a difference in hating the British army than hating the English people.

• Advertisement

You think it is cute that someone whos ancestors have been viewed as inferior people by the English for 500+ years (up until recent years) feels like they have a right to not push things under the carpet and act like us and the english are top buddies

But why should I let what somebody's great-great-great-great-great grandfather did to my great-great-great-great-great grandfather affect my relationship with that person? Have you ever heard of the saying 'you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family'?

They can't do anything about what happened, nor can I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

pojfexcsc wrote: »
    It comments like that which shows why Nationalists in the North feel abandoned by a section of their countrymen.

Don't let a small, but vocal, bunch of pseudo-enlightened anti-Republican/Nationalist neurotics fool you into thinking that the Irish people do not care for their Irish Brothers and Sisters in the north particularly when they were subject to unionist/British terrorism.

Nationalism was powerful enough to be considered a existential threat to the establishment here - so much so that Connor Cruise O'Brien was allowed to censor the media causing a chilling effect in general when it came to people who sympathised with republicans/nationalists.
    [CCO'B] wished to "cleanse the culture" of republicanism and would like the bill to be used against teachers who allegedly glorified Irish revolutionaries. He also wanted it used against newspaper editors who published pro-republican or anti-British readers' letters.

O'Brien stat[ed] that the "killing strain" of Irish republicanism, "has a very high propensity to run in families and the mother is most often the carrier".

a successful libel action was brought against CCO'B by relatives of Bloody Sunday victims for alleging in a Sunday Independent article in 1997 that the marchers were "Sinn Féin activists operating for the IRA"

O'Brien opposed the 1998 Good Friday Agreement

Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Jesus. wrote: »
    Then what are you saying? Its either one or the other!

What do you mean? I haven't lost the plot, I wouldn't agree with protesting against a 1916 event, but I believe in the right to protest and the right to free speech, and most importantly that it doesn't matter whether I agree with someone saying something or not, they have the right to say whatever they want regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Can we rename this thread "Ireland & Britain: the same old tired crap we've heard again and again"?

Yes I do, my ancestors are your ancestors, but Ive gotten over it, maybe find something else to dedicate your life to and try not to hate so much?

P_1 wrote: »
    But why should I let what somebody's great-great-great-great-great grandfather did to my great-great-great-great-great grandfather affect my relationship with that person? Have you ever heard of the saying 'you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family'?

They can't do anything about what happened, nor can I

It is not about that, I take a person at face value, it is when we go on to discuss modern politics than the relationship becomes a non-relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Can we rename this thread "Ireland & Britain: the same old tired crap we've heard again and again"?
    They won't like that. It has to be 6 counties, 26 counties, and whatever they are calling the rest.

Yes I do, my ancestors are your ancestors, but Ive gotten over it, maybe find something else to dedicate your life to and try not to hate so much?

Maybe in 80 years we will get over it but the troubles and the British Army is still recent history in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

when the last bit of BA vermin who murdered a civilian in northern ireland is dead and northern ireland is returned back under irish rule then we can all move on, until then i and many others will keep speaking the truth and the people will listen whether they want to or not, and whether they like it or not

That's quiet an ominous statement to make. What do you think would happen if the people did not listen,did not want to or didn't like it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jesus. wrote: »
    Bloody idiot.

Telling me I don't know the difference between Sinn Fein and Republican Sinn Fein? And Eirigi FFS?!!!

Look pal, I've forgotten more about the northern troubles, the dissidents and indeed Irish history as a whole than you'll ever know. I can guarantee you that.

The "that would shut them up" comment was clearly aimed at the people blaming SF for this protest. They can keep on going smearing SF to their heart's content but if SF came out and denounced the nature of this protest and highlighted the nature of RFS and those other groups a bit more often, they'd gain more respect from the average southern citizen and it would also have the effect of neutralising the effect of the virulent anti-Sinn Feiners.

Your clear implication in the post was, that SF would somehow gain by being quiet on the subject. You write it...we can only interpret it. Calm down!

Shouting and roaring at a remembrance service for Irish people killed in a war that had noting to do with the northern troubles etc?

I think its you who needs educating pal.

Fukking Disso

Yes, they were protesting at the idea of any Irishmen/women dying for the British crown...whose forces never had any problem disrupting a funeral service of the recently dead whenever they saw fit btw.

And please...less of the childish name calling. I have not one shred of support in my body for those you refer to as 'dissidents' but I will defend their right to peaceful protest, as I would anybodies,

Advertisement