Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

NI is a very small place. Thats the point.

Only about 2 million, feck them sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

you'd be happy with members of the british military being awarded medals for shooting innocent civilians? discusting

no, but members of the british military were awarded medals and had been responsible for the murder of civilians

bollox, hating the british army and having contempt for them is not hatred for the british people, stop with such gibberish

Sorry, what? If you are trying to say disgusting, how was it? I never said I'd be happy to see soldiers being rewarded for shooting civilians, I said I couldn't care because it never happened and was thus an irrelevant point to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

wazky wrote: »
    The people in NI might care at least?, I'm just guessing though.
    NI is a very small place. Thats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

well, apparently he wasn't the cuddly old man we were made to believe now was he?

He supported Irish unity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. I hate to break it to you but NI could erupt in flames and no one would give a flying f...the improvement in relations will carry on regardless.

and there we have the standard erudition of the southern partitionist.

'It has nothing to do with us, we don't care'.

Deary me, if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

• Advertisement

wazky wrote: »
    Only about 2 million, feck them sure.
    Generally both Dublin and Westminster have taken that line and I can't see that changing. The wider population probably don't give NI much thought really as modern life makes people indifferent

Happyman42 wrote: »

Deary me, if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.[/quote

hey! Thats my line :)

Sorry, what? If you are trying to say disgusting, how was it? I never said I'd be happy to see soldiers being rewarded for shooting civilians, I said I couldn't care because it never happened and was thus an irrelevant point to make.

What Officer or Minister of Defence (UK) has had to resign or surrender their commission or was court marshalled for events that a British PM has had to publically apologise for?
    Keeping their jobs and careers is an honour in itself. Soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday where subsequently promoted.

Deary me, if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

hey! Thats my line :)

Run out to the newsagent there, they say your copy of Hello is in. Your credibility in this debate is gone. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well the royal family have a long history of being anti Ulster Catholic so I dislike all of them.

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

I think you are ignoring the fact that the lands of modern Northern Ireland were ruled by Irish kings for 1500+ years
    Now we are getting desperate. Let's appoint a few Kings then. The stupid arguments some Republicans put forward is staggering.

The people who acted disgracefully at the ceremony is the result of such thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ah the pent up hatred almost makes me feel dirty.

Hate is an emotion I'm unfamiliar with.
    what is this talk of nobility?
    Suddenly the criminal murder of people through bombing is justified because it got an Inquiry...
    love the logic there...

You're not making any sense. What exactly are you trying to say?
    terrorist / criminals walk free serve 2 years it would be a waste of time and money.

What?
    I subscribe to the idea that pre good Friday needs to have a line drawn underneath it. No matter how unpalatable it just needs to be done and that it needs to be across the board.

The GFA does not grant immunity from prosecution afaia. I'm sure many relatives of innocents gunned down by British Army would be happy with a conviction even if it didn't mean any time would be served.

What Officer or Minister of Defence (UK) has had to resign or surrender their commission or was court marshalled for events that a British PM has had to publically apologise for?
    Keeping their jobs and careers is an honour in itself. Soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday where subsequently promoted.
    David Cameron apologised on behalf of the British government. When will Republicans move on? He might as well said nothing, doesn't seem to matter to some.

Ah the pent up hatred almost makes me feel dirty.
    what is this talk of nobility?
    Suddenly the criminal murder of people through bombing is justified because it got an Inquiry...
    love the logic there...
    It's like arguing with those lunatics who interrupted the remembrance ceremony. 1916, imperialism blah blah.

Run out to the newsagent there, they say your copy of Hello is in. Your credibility in this debate is gone. :rolleyes:

I doubt that.
    You should loom to your own credibility. The sad part is that every excuse is wheeled out - not least the Southern partition one to excuse your hate and angst ridden mindset.
    The real pity here is that as you apout so the soft if head will listen and thus the bitter harvest continues theough the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mosby61 wrote: »
    David Cameron apologised on behalf of the British government. When will Republicans move on? He might as well said nothing, doesn't seem to matter to some.
    we have moved on, but we will speak the truth and tell all about what happened in NI dispite the move on brigade and their attempt to silence us which has failed and they will never achieve

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

we have moved on, but we will speak the truth and tell all about what happened in NI dispite the move on brigade and their attempt to silence us which has failed and they will never achieve

Your free to speak all you want, no one is stopping you.

Just don't be outraged if few listen.

Karl Stein wrote: »

The GFA does not grant immunity from prosecution afaia. I'm sure many relatives of innocents gunned down by British Army would be happy with a conviction even if it didn't mean any time would be served.

Your man in Court in relation to Hyde Park bombing had the case thrown out based on the immunity letter and even had he been convicted would have served 2 years. At least he had the sense to stop his victory party...

I am sure for the families it would bring closure but for others it would not.

It's been over for well over 15 years. A fruitless excercise failed to deliver.

immunity letter

The immunity letters were not part of the GFA as far as I'm aware.

Do you believe that the relatives of those murdered on Bloody Sunday 1972 should be entitled to justice?

A simple yes/no answer will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

What absolute scum these sorry little individuals are.

My Grandad fought as a machine gunner in WW1, serving with the Irish regiment.

Also 2 of my dads uncles served in the same regiment. Both died during battle and are now buried in Egypt.

What proud men they were, unlike the useless protesting cowards yesterday.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The immunity letters were not part of the GFA as far as I'm aware.

Do you believe that the relatives of those murdered on Bloody Sunday 1972 should be entitled to justice?

A simple yes/no answer will suffice.
    Yes of course. I think the State should stump up

Yes of course. I think the State should stump up

Okay I'll make this very simple because you are difficult to understand or are deliberately being obtuse.

Do you think the relatives of those killed by the British Army in the north should be entitled to have the soldiers investigated/prosecuted for murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

AVIVA STADIUM, Dublin = Maximum capacity 50.000
    http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/26/f9/cb/filename-110820-avivastadium.jpg

That's how many Irish soldiers lost their lives in the Great War 1914-1918, and that's what Glasnevin was about.

A sombre and sobering event. Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Beastie1 wrote: »
    This is not honouring Irish men, it is honouring british soldiers. Ireland had been opressed by Britain for hundreds of years and those that joined the enemy army are traitors.
    The nonsense that happened yesterday is further revisionist rubbish with a member of the british royal family in attendance.
    Posters plastered all over Dublin advertising ww1 rte series has cost the licence payer huge amount of their licence fee.

A "traitor" to my mind would be an Irishman who joined a foreign army and went to war against the Irish. In what way were Irishmen who were fighting the German army in the trenches of France and Belgium betraying their homeland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

LordSutch wrote: »
    AVIVA STADIUM, Dublin = Maximum capacity 50.000
    http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/26/f9/cb/filename-110820-avivastadium.jpg

That's how many Irish soldiers lost their lives in the Great War 1914-1918, and that's what Glasnevin was about.

A sombre and sobering event. Long overdue.

Some of those 50,000 from modern day NI were not Irish in their own definition of being British and Unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beastie1

OED dictionary:-

Traitor - a person who betrays their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

So you have moved on. but you will continue to bring the past up? That's not really moving on then is it?

moxin wrote: »
    Some of those 50,000 from modern day NI were not Irish in their own definition of being British and Unionist.
    Only when Republicans took the Irish tag away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

moxin wrote: »

True, although they would have been regarded as "Irishmen" at the time....there were just the four nationalities as part of the UK : English, Irish (covering the entire island), Scottish and Welsh.

Advertisement