Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome New Members/Old Members - Introduce yourself here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

frogloch wrote: »
    Big difference in climate and soil around county from macamores in east that grows some amount of grass in a dry year to tillage land around ballycarney that'll dry up the second it stops raining. Then land where I am where soil is very deep and south wexford then has a drier milder climate than me.:)

Climate area's along the West Coast are easy to predict it is wet amd wetter. Land type in general is split in two with a few area's excepted. Bog or rock :D. So it is obivious that Wexford could have bigger differences in climate and terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Had a farm walk on my own place with a fellow boardsie farmer recently and it's amazing the different land types/ terrains even within a few acres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

just do it wrote: »
    Had a farm walk on my own place with a fellow boardsie farmer recently and it's amazing the different land types/ terrains even within a few acres

I hope he converted you to jex ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Tipp man here 36 yrs of age.fulltime dairy farmer in mid Tipp area,around Templemore.farming 125 acres all in with 70 cows and replacement stock.have followed this board for a long time and find it fascinating at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Only a young lad here, 17. I live on a sucler farm of >80 acres, and I don't have a ****ing clue if I'll take it or not. My parents are doing great work building it up, improving it, buying better stock etc and they both have said about me taking it ("after you go to college"). I have a great passion for the breeding and watching the calves come on, but I find other parts dreadful boring! Ill mainly just peruse the breeding and genetics threads :3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mattP wrote: »
    Only a young lad here, 17. I live on a sucler farm of >80 acres, and I don't have a ****ing clue if I'll take it or not. My parents are doing great work building it up, improving it, buying better stock etc and they both have said about me taking it ("after you go to college"). I have a great passion for the breeding and watching the calves come on, but I find other parts dreadful boring! Ill mainly just peruse the breeding and genetics threads :3
    Welcome aboard and if it suits ya...keep on farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

mattP wrote: »

That's how I started ;) Love genetics and breeding history myself as well.

Are you me! :eek:

Kovu wrote: »
    That's how I started ;) Love genetics and breeding history myself as well.

Are you me! :eek:

One of you is bad enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Am I the youngest here :P ? 19 years old from the west coast! From a small drystock farm in Mayo. 50 odd Texel x ewes lambing mid march selling in the back end. 6 spring calving sucklers cows selling the calves as stores at 12-13 months. Just finished drystock management course there in June but going to try and get into shared milking or that as I'm not going to get the home place(doing the Professional Diploma in Dairy Herd management). Should be starting a work placement on a dairy farm mid september probably near one of ye cork boys! I hope to learn a thing from the dairy farmers posting on here! Have been going through the threads for a long time and picking up bits of knowledge along the way! You don't learn everything from a book some you learn from a computer screen! :)

Are you doing that course in kildalton college ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrMuscles96

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Are you doing that course in kildalton college ?

No its based in Moorepark.. its more practical than theory.. Theres only few days every 2 months your in moorepark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Millstream

Hello all, First post but been checking out the boards for a few weeks now. Mid 30's originally from Wexford but been living in Canada for awhile now. Moving home next year with wife and young son. Hoping to move back to the farm and get off farm work to get a mortgage in place. Farm was a dairy and tillage operation up to a few years ago but beef and a bit of barley now, as the folks are getting on. I will be keeping an eye on the various threads and looking for some ideas closer to the time of the move home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You have 1 Canadian winter left so, good luck with the move and welcome on board.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caelan6400jd

Hello everyone, my first post on here. Farming in the county of Waterford. 170 acres broken into two sections: 80 grassland and 90 hill. Been following all the topics over the past few weeks and I find them great, this place is a hive of information!

Hello everyone, my first post on here. Farming in the county of Waterford. 170 acres broken into two sections: 80 grassland and 90 hill. Been following all the topics over the past few weeks and I find them great, this place is a hive of information!

Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Hi all, have been posting the odd bit from time to time but mainly reading the threads. There's a vast amount of knowledge and experience too! From a tillage and beef farm in the midlands myself. The land would be heavy but good. Absolutely love the farming, maybe a little too much by times... Wouldn't have much of a say in matters on the home farm due to there being too many chiefs about, but I suppose I'm lucky not to be tied down at a young age. Will probably end up part time farming with the father who I get on with very well (despite bickering and arguing 24/7). The father has done a good job trying to build up the farm but a lot of work and investment is still required. Studying in UCD for the next few years so I really enjoy being able to follow farming matters during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

MF290 wrote: »
    Hi all, have been posting the odd bit from time to time but mainly reading the threads. There's a vast amount of knowledge and experience too! From a tillage and beef farm in the midlands myself. The land would be heavy but good. Absolutely love the farming, maybe a little too much by times... Wouldn't have much of a say in matters on the home farm due to there being too many chiefs about, but I suppose I'm lucky not to be tied down at a young age. Will probably end up part time farming with the father who I get on with very well (despite bickering and arguing 24/7). The father has done a good job trying to build up the farm but a lot of work and investment is still required. Studying in UCD for the next few years so I really enjoy being able to follow farming matters during the week.

What are you doing in ucd?

rushvalley wrote: »
    What are you doing in ucd?

Ag :D

Ag :D

What year

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

What year

the two boys have hit the student union bar! ;-)

What year

Only first year

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    the two boys have hit the student union bar! ;-)

Fcuk that place !! I'm not made of money

Only first year

I'll have to try figure you out now :p

Its good to have another young lad here among all the old timers !!

I'll have to try figure you out now :p

Haha, best of luck with that!

Its good to have another young lad here among all the old timers !!

We'll outnumber them yet!

What do you make of UCD and the ag science course ? I've a friend of mine studying that course aswell

What do you make of UCD and the ag science course ? I've a friend of mine studying that course aswell

Its nearly all science atm but its all ag after 2nd year. Sticking it out well so far hopefully I can get passed this science craic without much trouble :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Its nearly all science atm but its all ag after 2nd year. Sticking it out well so far hopefully I can get passed this science craic without much trouble :rolleyes: :D

Ex Ag here, ya first year is heavy on the science but it gets more relatable after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Are the grants still open for farm improvements? For weigh scales, calving gates and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Probably outlive them any how . Welcome aboard

Advertisement