Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

dav3 wrote: »
    Although RTE removed the reference to

that they had earlier.

and added

for whatever reason.

But here is the latest news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0730/633916-gaza-israel/
    That's very interesting - is there a way you can prove that RTE did that? (not challenging what you said, just would be interested in getting definitive proof of that)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Do u think our lovely Gardai do not beat up people
    were not discussing our guardai, stop deflecting from the conversation with irrelevant nonsense

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lone Stone wrote: »
    did you see that video of the teenager being pushed around by the police then gagged & bundled of on a van for protesting the attack. I dont have a link it was going around on facebook a week ago, that was shocking. the whole things just makes me think of when the nazi party took over germany, anyone who said anyting was silenced fast. I would love to hear a holocaust survivors opinion on israel and their attitude towards Palestine. Seeing crowds of Israelis just cheering as a civilian population gets bombed is sickening, they have really been dehumanized in their social psyche.

found it

Well if that upsets you you must be appalled and disgusted at Hamas treatments of anti-war protestors.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/day-22-five-soldiers-killed-four-of-them-in-mortar-attack-idf-bombards-gaza/#liveblog-entry-1038599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

jank wrote: »
    Well if that upsets you you must be appalled and disgusted at Hamas treatments of anti-war protestors.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/day-22-five-soldiers-killed-four-of-them-in-mortar-attack-idf-bombards-gaza/#liveblog-entry-1038599

You say that like it's a mutually exclusive stance to be against Hamas and Israeli genocide. You realise you can be against both don't you?

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    Eh yes they are but don't let the facts into the argument....

Incromental Genocide.

Yes, The Electronic Intifada is a source we should all take seriously. If your statement is true then the IDF is making a bad job at it. Hurry up and carpet bomb the place...

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Genocide; the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

How many civilians dead now? This is mass genocide and unless your stupid you well know it is.

Lots of people dead != Genocide. There is no evidence anywhere that Israel want to wipe out and kill all 1.8 million Palestinians living in Gaza. Even a death toll of 10,000 is a small dent in that figure if one was to crunch the raw numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Isn't it strange how any Palestinian who speaks out about Hamas gets lots of nice rewards from Israel and the US while any Israeli who speaks out gets jailed or exiled?
    Except if you're an Israeli and you don't agree with their actions... then you're locked up and classified as a traitor.

Are you two really trying to claim that it's safer to be an opponent of Hamas in Gaza than it is to be an opponent of IDF/Israeli Govt policy in Israel?

I'm on the side of the Palestinian people in this, but trying to make idiotic claims like this doesn't further any argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

KahBoom wrote: »
    That's very interesting - is there a way you can prove that RTE did that? (not challenging what you said, just would be interested in getting definitive proof of that)

I'm not sure. I suppose we could ask them. I guess the only way from now on is to take screenshots to see how the story "develops".

It may have been a legitimate reason for changing the story or something more sinister.

As our Minister for Foreign Affairs would say

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/carol-hunt/ill-ask-this-only-once-what-has-israel-ever-done-to-us-29470834.html
    "Israel", he told me, "has been demonised by an Irish media slavishly dancing to the Palestinian drumbeat for decades..."The truth must be told"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Lots of people dead != Genocide. There is no evidence anywhere that Israel want to wipe out and kill all 1.8 million Palestinians living in Gaza. Even a death toll of 10,000 is a small dent in that figure if one was to crunch the raw numbers.

So mass murder then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Carpet bombing and now this! Could you not even be bothered to research the definition of genocide and then disagree with the assertion in an informed way? Are you dead inside?

........While I agree the joke was in poor taste, I can pretty much guarantee that it could have been directed against any other ethnic group in the world and it wouldn't have caused the level of fallout that it did......

Imagine something like a joke (or maybe a cartoon) causing such a big reaction.

Could only happen if the ADL (who I agree are bat-shit crazy BTW) were involved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Does anyone know of any decent documentaries about the history of their conflicts before now?
    I'm a bit ignorant of the whole thing and would like to get educated.

While not about the history of the conflict, this is concentrating more on the more recent expansions, i found ths iinteresting

Louis Theroux: The Ultra Zionists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

blackwhite wrote: »
    Are you two really trying to claim that it's safer to be an opponent of Hamas in Gaza than it is to be an opponent of IDF/Israeli Govt policy in Israel?

Not in the slightest. My reply was in relation to the quote:
    That's the beauty of living in a democracy. We can freely express our opinions.
    I'm on the side of the Palestinian people in this, but trying to make idiotic claims like this doesn't further any argument.
    Read what you're commenting on before branding people as idiots!

I notice this went unreported in the Western media:

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/Report-Hamas-executes-alleged-spies-shoots-protesters-in-Gaza-369331

When Palestinians kill themselves it's ok seemingly.

How did you reach that conclusion? Did somebody make a claim legitimizing this action? and if so, does this provide further justification for the actions of the IDF. I'm curious because I don't follow the logic of this argument at all and it would be interesting to hear you expand on your world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

eeepaulo wrote: »
    While not about the history of the conflict, this is concentrating more on the more recent expansions, i found ths iinteresting

Louis Theroux: The Ultra Zionists

Google occupation101 on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Israel only targets terrorists and does not bomb civilian areas :rolleyes:

30af894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Google occupation101 on youtube.

Thanks, I have seen it.

Also interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

the US is up in arms and disgusted at the Russians annexation of Crimea but support their 'Israeli friends' when they steal palestinian land time and time again in defiance of the oslo accord on land borders which THE US SIGNED.

Not in the slightest. My reply was in relation to the quote:

Read what you're commenting on before branding people as idiots!

You should try and do the same - where did I call anyone an idiot?

• Advertisement

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    How did you reach that conclusion? Did somebody make a claim legitimizing this action? and if so, does this provide further justification for the actions of the IDF. I'm curious because I don't follow the logic of this argument at all and it would be interesting to hear you expand on your world view.

I think I will try to work out this interesting logic problem?

1.Hamas is a brutal callous extremist organization which has no interest in the welfare of it's own people and won't hesitate to kill them.

2.Israel as well as protecting it's citizens from this abominable organization is also indirectly benefiting the Palestinian people by ridding them of this heinous group.

3. Unavoidably in carrying out it's protective responsibilities it has unfortunately indirectly caused the death of it's own soldiers and an astonishing amount of Palestinian civilians.

Conclusion: Maybe their help is not so much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

You should try and do the same - where did I call anyone an idiot?

You said 'idiotic clams'.

You said 'idiotic clams'.

Claims are not people. (nor are clams for that matter!)

Like you said yourself - try reading the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

bumper234 wrote: »
    Israel only targets terrorists and does not bomb civilian areas :rolleyes:

30af894.jpg

Obviously everyone there were terrorists, and the whole populace for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Obviously everyone there were terrorists, and the whole populace for that matter.

How much of a warning would one need to get out of that blast radius i wonder?

My niece was recently bullied by an obnoxious older boy from her neighborhood. In order to defend her from further attacks I launch a mortar attack on the kid's family home. Unfortunately their neighbors were acting as human shields and I wiped them out too. Not to worry..I wonder what Phil is up to in Eastenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

RustyNut wrote: »
    So mass murder then?

Is the 20000 civilians killed in the Afghan war mass murder too?

Is the 20000 civilians killed in the Afghan war mass murder too?

Well that would equate to the whole town that i live in so it would be a pretty depressing place afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

• Advertisement

You say that like it's a mutually exclusive stance to be against Hamas and Israeli genocide. You realise you can be against both don't you?

I do, yet there was about 20 posts tutting at the treatment of poor Lucas yet none about the 20 or so killed by Hamas for daring to object to war. See that is the fundamental difference between the sides. Israel can be dicks, they may have slapped the poor kid around a bit but apart from a bruise and his ego dented he is free to tell the world about his story. In Gaza, you are taken away behind a building, shot and your body dragged through the streets as a warning to others..... I know which treatment I would have preferred if I had the choice.

mod imaged sniped
    Can we jointly condemn this action?

Advertisement