Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

The school that was hit this morning had no weapons! Israel were told not to target the school!
    By the UN itself. Thusual bullsh*t will be trotted out...."fog of war.....human shields....it was Hamas who hit the school". There's no end to it, words defy me to think that American tax dollars pays for this mass murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

greenflash wrote: »
    How the hell does my post make me a supporter of Israel?

Post reported

You're not, but to be fair you do seem to be peddaling the Israeli justification for this current campaign which has been thoroughly debunked by now due to the sheer level of bombardment:
    greenflash wrote:
    Israel are using ordnance in an attempt to suppress or destroy Hamas

It's BS. This conflict is not about Hamas, it's about collective punishment of the entire population of Gaza, using very flimsy smoke and mirrors to try and dress it up as a legitimate military operation against legitimate military targets.

Did you watch any of the live stream two nights ago?

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    As an American I am truly ashamed of the US's support of the mass murder of Palestinians daily, at this stage words are beyond me. I've just watched Kerry prostituting himself and defending his political career and his "unswerving support and loyalty" to Israel. Obama who claims to be a follower of Martin Luther King constantly reiterating the total support for Israel. Susan Rice yesterday addressing some Jewish assembly promising hundreds of $millions to Israel for their alleged "security", to mass murder Palestinians including hundreds of children.

No wonder the US has lost respect around the world and is now seen as the dog that the tail is wagging.

Are there many protests in the US about it?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I find it more frustrating that un & eu as a whole do nothing, trade embargo Israel that will do some damage and make them think about their own actions for once instead they just sit around getting paid and do nothing do they not remember why the eu was formed. Didn't the eu get the 2012 nobel peace prize for so many decades of peace since ww2. And yet no lessons learned, just stand by and do nothing while the world goes to **** again, israel's palestinian concentration camp and Russia annexing parts of the ukraine, /flips the table arghh, peace before profit.

As I said earlier in the thread (or perhaps in the earlier thread, in fact) the EU and most of the West spinelessly grovels before US foreign policy. It's utterly shameful and pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

greenflash wrote: »
    How the hell does my post make me a supporter of Israel?

Post reported

For what? Easy with the trigger there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Here is an example of the very subtle oppression of pro Palestinian protesters by the American authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Surely it is possible to be a proud Israeli nationalist with a genuine concern for the safety and viability of their country and yet hold reservations about the conduct of it's forces and the policies of it's government. I'm Irish but I don't support the social policies of my government or the vile corruption of our politicians. I don't define being Irish as following every utterance of elected spokespersons with blind obedience and don't feel the urge to trot out revisionist history and pejorative terms to defend my position. I oppose fascism whenever it raises it's ugly head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

As I said earlier in the thread (or perhaps in the earlier thread, in fact) the EU and most of the West spinelessly grovels before US foreign policy. It's utterly shameful and pathetic.

Yep I've said this before aswell. The EU needs to stand on its own two feet and distance itself from American foreign policy. Im thinking wtf is the point of the EU when it won't listen to its citizens but is only happy to impose all sorts of laws and restrictions on member states when it suits them. Absolutely zero leadership being shown. We have some of the most prosperous nations in the world and have shown ourselves to be weak and spinless.

Tell me why the f**k do we have to be the Americans lapdog?

Yep I've said this before aswell. The EU needs to stand on its own two feet and distance itself from American foreign policy. Im thinking wtf is the point of the EU when it won't listen to its citizens but is only happy to impose all sorts of laws and restrictions on member states when it suits them. Absolutely zero leadership being shown. We have some of the most prosperous nations in the world and have shown ourselves to be weak and spinless

Absolutely. And going further than that, individual EU nations need to make their own decisions on this issue. Nothing pissed me off more than when Ireland abstained from that resolution a few days ago for no reason other than "voting in line with the EU" - a common foreign policy was NOT part of the Lisbon deal, Ireland should be voting as the Irish people and Irish government desire and not how the wider EU desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I notice this went unreported in the Western media:

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/Report-Hamas-executes-alleged-spies-shoots-protesters-in-Gaza-369331

When Palestinians kill themselves it's ok seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

dav3 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what way I read your posts, it still comes across as trying to justify the killing of innocent children.

I'm not sure what country you're from or if you've seen the news this morning.

Although RTE removed the reference to

that they had earlier.

and added

for whatever reason.

But here is the latest news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0730/633916-gaza-israel/

I noticed that alright it was edited...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Israel's committing plain out genocide...

Eh no they are not but lets get hyperbole into the argument anyway sure...

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/Report-Hamas-executes-alleged-spies-shoots-protesters-in-Gaza-369331

If true that is disgusting !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

jank wrote: »

Eh yes they are but don't let the facts into the argument....

Incromental Genocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

RustyNut wrote: »
    Here is an example of the very subtle oppression of pro Palestinian protesters by the American authorities.

It's not about the protest it's about the context of the protest. Ie you support terrorists :rolleyes: f**king hell. well done to the woman for not getting over awed by the FBI showing up at her home.

Check out my previous post where I talk about AIPAC and the ADL. The ADL, an extremely powerful and insidious lobby group which essentially lobbies for the first amendment not to apply to any criticism of Israel whatsoever, published a map of pro-Palestinian protests in the US and tagged it as evidence of growing "anti semitism". It's utterly insane stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I posted a the same story reported by a different news agency.

I was accused of reporting it as "Jewish news" and therefore propaganda or not to be trusted.
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why quote "Jewish news"? Or is Israel indeed on a religious war?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Would u protest for hamas in Israel,fair play.That is no different to what the Gaurds done in Dublin, a few years ago
    WTF?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Check out my previous post where I talk about AIPAC and the ADL. The ADL, an extremely powerful and insidious lobby group which essentially lobbies for the first amendment not to apply to any criticism of Israel whatsoever, published a map of pro-Palestinian protests in the US and tagged it as evidence of growing "anti semitism". It's utterly insane stuff.

Just to add to this, found the map:
    https://twitter.com/ADL_National/status/492720519284666369

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

jank wrote: »

Genocide; the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

How many civilians dead now? This is mass genocide and unless your stupid you well know it is.

• Advertisement

Im sure that was just a coincidence that the colours used were same as Palestinian flag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nothing pissed me off more than when Ireland abstained from that resolution a few days ago for no reason other than "voting in line with the EU" - a common foreign policy was NOT part of the Lisbon deal, Ireland should be voting as the Irish people and Irish government desire and not how the wider EU desires.

That vote was a shameful day for this country. We were once known as a little country, with a strong moral voice that stood up for the victimised and the oppressed around the world. But today, the spineless yes men in power no nothing but blind obedience. Not that it should come as any surprise, judging by their actions in recent years. Still it is embarrassing and sad to see us abstaining in a vote, where common humanity should have dictated we support the motion.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    unless your stupid

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

You're not, but to be fair you do seem to be peddaling the Israeli justification for this current campaign which has been thoroughly debunked by now due to the sheer level of bombardment:

It's BS. This conflict is not about Hamas, it's about collective punishment of the entire population of Gaza, using very flimsy smoke and mirrors to try and dress it up as a legitimate military operation against legitimate military targets.

Did you watch any of the live stream two nights ago?

I agree. Blatant Genocide. Shocking and shameful. Boycott Israeli goods and kick out their embassador. This horrific behaviour should not be tolerated. And shame on anyone who defends it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Genocide; the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

How many civilians dead now? This is mass genocide and unless your stupid you well know it is.

Why do you feel the need to insult people?

It totally ruins your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If its not being reported elsewhere, perhaps its due to Western media outlets being unable to verify the veracity of the report. Some rather dodgy stuff has come out of the Israeli media during the current conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

mad muffin wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to insult people?

It totally ruins your argument.

I never insulted him I said unless your stupid I never said he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Nobody is killing themselves. A terrorist group is killing civilians. The same terrorist group who fires rockets into Israel. Both Hamas and Israel are not much different right now.

Judging by the replies, the majority of responses were not what they had hoped for.

As PR campaigns go, Israel (on a global scale) aren't very good at them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

So Hamas killing a Palestinian or two is wrong and gets you on your high horse, but the IDF slaughtering children is ignored because 'it's ok seemingly'.

Advertisement