Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic plug to avoid metering

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

I expect IW will just say you are all getting unmetered bills, same as we do for all the unmetered premises.

Dont think so. There is a meter. Not the peoples fault IW cant read it. IW will be required to repair them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Dont think so. There is a meter. Not the peoples fault IW cant read it. IW will be required to repair them.

Don't think so. They said they would send unmetered bills to the houses where protestors stopped them being installed. There would be no point repairing them in places where protestors or other criminals destroyed them. So unmetered bills it is.

In the longer term when the protestors melt away like they did on property tax IW can go back then and install/reinstall them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't think so. They said they would send unmetered bills to the houses where protestors stopped them being installed. There would be no point repairing them in places where protestors or other criminals destroyed them. So unmetered bills it is.

In the longer term when the protestors melt away like they did on property tax IW can go back then and install/reinstall them.

Because what's the point in protesting something you can't stop, legislation allows them to take the Property charge from your wages. There is no such mechanism for the Water Tax. It will end up a civil matter.

I disagree. If they started metering you and you agreed then thats the basis on which you are dealing with them. I dont think IW can then change the goal posts.

I disagree. If they started metering you and you agreed then thats the basis on which you are dealing with them. I dont think IW can then change the goal posts.

Exactly i think the exemption for none metering is for Property that can't physically be metered like Apartments. I highly doubt they have the choice of metering or not to meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Its a tax on Water treatment, Are the IW elves in the ground water treating it at the source ?
    No, but they don't need to be for the government to charge. All it requires is legislation.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No, but they don't need to be for the government to charge. All it requires is legislation.

For what ? They are not treating the ground water. It's like someone said, Government declaring they own the Air and charging you when using it to power a turbine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd have no reason to object to a meter inside your boundaries then ?

Just like your gas meter and your electricity meter

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'd have no reason to object to a meter inside your boundaries then ?

Just like your gas meter and your electricity meter

Well I would have already have let them install their meter. In the same place as they install everyone elses.

Exactly i think the exemption for none metering is for Property that can't physically be metered like Apartments. I highly doubt they have the choice of metering or not to meter.

They have the choice where there are precluding physical or economic circumstances.

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-is-an-unmetered-bill/

An unmetered bill is the type of bill sent to customers who do not have, or are not able to have, a water meter due to economic or physical circumstances.

• Advertisement

Because what's the point in protesting something you can't stop, legislation allows them to take the Property charge from your wages. There is no such mechanism for the Water Tax. It will end up a civil matter.

I don't believe the propoganda from CAHWT that they will smash the "water tax" and they have teams of lawyers lined up to defend homeowners who don't pay. Just look what happened to their promises on the Household Charge.

Private home owners should be very aware of the consequences for their credit record if they don't pay their utility bills.

They have the choice where there are precluding physical or economic circumstances.

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-is-an-unmetered-bill/

An unmetered bill is the type of bill sent to customers who do not have, or are not able to have, a water meter due to economic or physical circumstances.

I highly doubt you can interpret that as they have a choice to change from meter bill to estimated.
    I don't believe the propoganda from CAHWT that they will smash the "water tax" and they have teams of lawyers lined up to defend homeowners who don't pay. Just look what happened to their promises on the Household Charge.

Private home owners should be very aware of the consequences for their credit record if they don't pay their utility bills.

I'm not agreeing with the Anti water lot, I'm simply Questioning the reality of people thinking what IW can actually do. It will end up as a civil mater in the courts at some stage. That will then set a precedent on what IW can actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how are people who are renting property going to work this into the rent, if it were static it would help,

goat2 wrote: »
    how are people who are renting property going to work this into the rent, if it were static it would help,

If there is a meter they pay like electric, If not it will be a estimated bill. Paid for again by the tenant.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/calls-to-cut-salaries-of-bosses-at-irish-water-279102.html

Why am I not surprised at all, Wages high shocking... So just remember folks that 29% of what you are paying is going on wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/calls-to-cut-salaries-of-bosses-at-irish-water-279102.html

Why am I not surprised at all, Wages high shocking... So just remember folks that 29% of what you are paying is going on wages.
    And 40% of that is being taken back in tax. The rest is going back into the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Battlecat64

I'll just use the bog at work... Go in a bit early, bring a towel and wash in the sinks there, free hot water innit !!!

As for waste sink water at home, divert the pipe and collect it in a plastic container, then throw it down where the cats or dog do their sh1ts... SIMPLES :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just another reminder that our water used to be paid from indirect taxation,unless and until commercial rates and water charges are reduced it's double taxation.

On the Late Late Show yer one was going on about how Irish Water setup costs where comparable to Thames water. But they provide water to three times our population in a region where tapwater is 30% of the rainfall and because it's London infrastructure costs are the highest in these Isles. It's a region where water is such short supply they even have a desalination plant.

In the UK the way it generally works is people get a standard bill but if you dispute it you can ask for a meter to be fitted, this saves a fortune on meters. Irish water are installing one million meters. There are now over 400,000 completed meter installations and Irish Water has confirmed that the cost for the supply and installation of meters is €539 million ex VAT.” divide that by the average water bill to see how many years of water charges will be needed to pay for the meters before a single cent can be spent on supply of water or repairs or upgrades. :mad:

The average water bill will be €238 per year. For someone on the minimum water this represents four days nett wages. And when you are on the breadline with nothing left to cut down on it means the very real prospect of skipping annual holidays.

Now here's the thing Fianna Fail will probably try to buy the next election by promising to reduce these charges and the property tax. Never forget that they are the ones ultimately responsible for this fiasco by buying the 1977 election.

Yes I understand water has to be paid for, but I was already paying for it. I live in Dublin where leakage rates are below the national average so Id have to subsidise those in other areas if it weren't for the fact that it will be years before the setup costs and meter costs have been paid for.

Running costs will have to paid for by borrowings for years.

It's already shaping up to be another Eircom, a debt burdened monopoly being lined up for sale to carpet baggers and asset strippers in return for a one off windfall that will most likely be squandered.

To give you an idea of what I fear for Irish water in the future only last Month Eircom was trying to offshore to Jersey
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Commences_Consent_Process_for_Potential_Corporate_Reorganisatio/
    In this context, the transfer of the assets and liabilities of eircom Limited (eircom’s principal operating company) to a new operating company, which would be incorporated in Jersey and tax resident in Ireland, as envisaged by the proposed reorganisation, would provide eircom greater flexibility to pay dividends to shareholders in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Any links to where a blanking cap can be bought

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd assume if a blanking cap is fitted and then discovered they won't be able to prove who fitted the cap so no prosecution will follow ... But the back water charges (based on the assessed fee or next couple of bills) could be eye watering ... Would it be easier to just save on water use ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As for waste sink water at home, divert the pipe and collect it in a plastic container, then throw it down where the cats or dog do their sh1ts... SIMPLES :-)

Personally I just don't let dogs sh*t in my house and find that easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't get all this whinging about water charges, we've been paying Offaly county council for years for our water, as have our neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

spending three months in prison and paying a fine of up to €5,000.

"So what cha in for?"

"Tampering with a water meter..." *hard man's face*

Any links to where a blanking cap can be bought

Got one from the Hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Got one from the Hub.

the hub? is that like the matrix?
    Im actually curious as to how they work, I assumed the meter is connected onto the line supplying each house, unless its connected some otherway, I had a look to check the meter reading and could see no means to connect or fit anything in there anyway.

Advertisement