Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic plug to avoid metering

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

If I was one of those 20 people I would be keeping very quiet and not telling the likes of you about it. Loose talk and posting stuff like this on the internet is a recipe for trouble.

Its common knowledge now, everyone is at it and its also "not against the law"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

jonon9 wrote: »
    Agree completely my uncle lives out in the country decided ro get his own well due to very bad water pressure, he invested his money and got his well dug his now glad he did but he did say "Dont worry the government will come up with some bull**** law" and I complete agree with him

You do know that having your own well is far more expensive than a metered mains supply. Do people really forget that it takes electricity to run a private wells pumps and treatment filters.

I really don't get this nonsense an about people saying they'll be having fewer showers and running the washing machine and dishwasher less. It's not as if hot water or electricity was free and these things didn't cost already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

duckcfc wrote: »
    Yep, have you not heard of the neo magnets that slow the new digi meters right down. I know about 20 people using them and are only paying a few cents a day rather than the normal rate and the best bit about it, they cant get done with tampering because they havent tampered with the meter. All theyve done is stick a magnet on side of it. A few have been caught and all the eletrical company done was put a sticker on side saying dont tamper with the mete because its a criminal offence but theres no law stating that you cant stick a magnet at the side of one
    The law is you can't tamper with the Meter. Sticking magnets is is a form of non destructive tampering and is illegal

You do know that having your own well is far more expensive than a metered mains supply. Do people really forget that it takes electricity to run a private wells pumps and treatment filters.

I really don't get this nonsense an about people saying they'll be having fewer showers and running the washing machine and dishwasher less. It's not as if hot water or electricity was free and these things didn't cost already.

Yes but the water is cleaner. Cleaner as in toxic free with no flouride. Id love to have my own well

Yes but the water will be cleaner. Cleaner as in toxic free with no flouride. Id love to have my own well even if it cost me double because id have piece of mind that i am not getting poisoned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Yes but the water will be cleaner. Cleaner as in toxic free with no flouride. Id love to have my own well even if it cost me double because id have piece of mind that i am not getting poisoned

I wouldn't be so sure of that! There are plenty of places where wells are polluted with runoff from farming.

The law is you can't tamper with the Meter. Sticking magnets is is a form of non destructive tampering and is illegal

No it aint. Maybe in your mind it is and i thought the same but in law terms, it aint. Efore you had to drill a hole in the meter to stop it turn, that is tampering. And the law states that you cant tamper with the eletrical meter in any way. Which is quite right but these new digi meters arent the eletrical meter so it isnt against the law to put a magnet on side of it. I know it sounds outrageous but its true. This loophole will be probably closed soon but trust me, its not illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Can't wait to see how much they reduce our VAT now that they don't need to pay for our water from it any more.

Should be a few bob back to everybody......

Oh wait

Ill give you anoth example. What about all these judges prosecuting all these licensed premises for staying open to late for years on end. One day not to long ago, maybe a year one solicitor decided to ask to see the legislation on it in irish untill the judge or procicutior couldnt produce it in court because it was nevr written into law in irish. Well, this is exactly the same. We know its wrong to do it but untill its written into law, theres sweet fa they can do about it just like that day in court where the judge had to throw the charges out and any other cases dropped untill they could prosecute when legislation was written into law in irish. So you see my friend, nothing is always as it first seems to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What logic. In court theres this thing called law and there is no law stating that you cant put a magnet on side of the digi meter. Yes theres laws stating that you cant "tamper" with the eletric meter but nothing in law about these new digi meters. Ask any solicitor or im sure one might pop in to back me up on this mater. Now remember , im talking about these new digi meters where you type a pay as you go code into them, not the actual eletric meter. A cousin of mine is married to someone in the eletric department and he confirmed this
    Putting a magnet next to a meter with the intention of altering it's operation is tampering. I can't see your logic standing up in court.

Though if you're dumb enough to do it don't let me stop you.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see how much they reduce our VAT now that they don't need to pay for our water from it any more.

Should be a few bob back to everybody......

Oh wait
    The purpose of these charges is to help close our national spending gap, reducing vat would be counter-productive.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Putting a magnet next to a meter with the intention of altering it's operation is tampering. I can't see your logic standing up in court.

Its not the electric meter though, its the digi meter that sends a signal to the electric meter. If you make me try and explain it to you again i think ill have to bash my head of the wall. Can you not understand what im saying, it isnt written into law yet about tampering with these things.

Its not the electric meter though, its the digi meter that sends a signal to the electric meter. If you make me try and explain it to you again i think ill have to bash my head of the wall. Can you not understand what im saying, it isnt written into law yet about tampering with these things.
    I'm aware that you're talking about the digital meter. I have been since the start of this conversation.

Now let me be clear, altering the operation of the meter in any way is illegal. That includes placing magnets beside it.

You can try and argue that "tampering" only involves physical alteration but that is a very flimsy argument and unlikely to stand up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Since the same key opens all the meters, why not put one on some of your neighbours meters too :)

How does this plastic water meter plug work anyway?
    Can you put it on before you water the garden and then take it off again? :)

I didnt really care about water charges UNTIL WE ENDED UP WITH THE HIGHEST CHARGES IN FUKIN EUROPE.
    We were lied to all along.

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Since the same key opens all the meters, why not put one on some of your neighbours meters too :)

How does this plastic water meter plug work anyway?
    Can you put it on before you water the garden and then take it off again? :)

I didnt really care about water charges UNTIL WE ENDED UP WITH THE HIGHEST CHARGES IN FUKIN EUROPE.
    We were lied to all along.
    Actually I don't know, I always try to keep my nose clean even if I don't agree with a law.

Actually I don't know, I always try to keep my nose clean even if I don't agree with a law.

Im hearing about these plugs everywhere, but have yet to find out how they work. Any links to a youtube video or something that explains them, in the name of curiosity of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Im hearing about these plugs everywhere, but have yet to find out how they work. Any links to a youtube video or something that explains them, in the name of curiosity of course.

From what I hear the plugs are to be used if you uninstall your water meter so the water to your house will still flow.

To comment also about others saying about court appearances etc, not that you will see or hear about this on the rte evening news, in some areas people are removing the water meters and posting them back to Irish water, one householder in Westmeath posted a video on social media a while ago showing the householder removing the water meter outside his house, so far to date he hasn,t being to court or anything.

On last point of information this is a post doing the rounds on a few anti water charge facebook pages about legally refusing a water meter by quoting the Sale of Goods and Services Act, can,t post link but will copy and paste post below in brackets.

(Did you ask for a water meter? From the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980:
    Unsolicited goods.
    47.—(1) Where—
    (a) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and
    (b) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,
    and either—
    (i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or
    (ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,
    then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.
    (2) The notice referred to in subsection (1) shall be in writing and shall state—
    (a) the recipient's name and address and the address at which the sender may take possession of the goods (if not the same) and
    (b) that the goods are unsolicited.
    (3) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any business, makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent to another person with a view to his acquiring them, shall be guilty of an offence.
    (4) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment in the course of any business and with a view to obtaining any payment for what he knows or ought to know are unsolicited goods—
    (a) threatens to bring any legal proceedings,
    (b) places or causes to be placed the name of any person on a list of defaulters or debtors or threatens to do so, or
    (c) invokes or causes to be invoked any other collection procedure or threatens to do so,
    shall be guilty of an offence.
    (5) In this section—
    “acquire” includes hire,
    “send” includes deliver,
    “sender” includes any person on whose behalf or with whose consent the goods are sent and any other person claiming through or under the sender or any such person,
    “unsolicited” means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doubt that's a thing.

Saw a video of someone pouring concrete down on top of the meter.
    Again, if you had some sort of superhero watermeter killer, or gang of them going around throwing concrete in on top of the meters, then there would be no way to prosecute the householder. The householder didnt do anything to the meter. It was done to all the meters on the road by super water meter killer your honour.

Like this fella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQMq3hNv-g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Saw a video of someone pouring concrete down on top of the meter.
    Again, if you had some sort of superhero watermeter killer, or gang of them going around throwing concrete in on top of the meters, then there would be no way to prosecute the householder. The householder didnt do anything to the meter. It was done to all the meters on the road by super water meter killer your honour.

I haven,t seen the video of pouring concrete over the water meter, the one I refer to is a man in Westmeath removed the water meter, it was a story in the local Westmeath papers about it a while ago.

Google the following article

(Mullingar householder posts meter back to Irish Water)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

We didn't.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doubt that's a thing.
    Both the meter box and the meter itself is the property of Irish Water, not the water customer, so the Sale of Goods act doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

S.O wrote: »
    I haven,t seen the video of pouring concrete over the water meter, the one I refer to is a man in Westmeath removed the water meter, it was a story in the local Westmeath papers about it a while ago.

Google the following article

(Mullingar householder posts meter back to Irish Water)
    There's a touch of freeman about him.
    http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/07/04/4031299-mullingar-householder-posts-meter-back-to-irish-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Phoebas wrote: »
    He never heard of flat rate charge ;)
    This government only has another year and a bit to go. There will be plently of parties and independents running on a platform to abolish water charges and property tax. If they get enough votes we will all be back to how it was a few years ago.

I have heard no information that the present government is thinking about any legislation to extend water charges to people who are not connected to the mains. So I think your uncle is safe enough at least until after the next election. And the opinion on AH seems to be that the present government will not be re-elected.
    Sweet dreams, anyone who think water charges and property tax will be abolished if we get a new government are living in dreamland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yes. It should be a tax that everyone must pay. Even if a person is taking water from their own land they should have to pay for the use of that water.
    So if you put up a wind turbine to generate your own electricity you would gladly pay the government for the wind to drive it :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Phoebas wrote: »

Complete freeman. He talks about consent a lot. Consent for lot? It's not your land or water. If he is so against government interference then he can ask to be disconnected from the mains network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

S.O wrote: »
    From what I hear the plugs are to be used if you uninstall your water meter so the water to your house will still flow.

To comment also about others saying about court appearances etc, not that you will see or hear about this on the rte evening news, in some areas people are removing the water meters and posting them back to Irish water, one householder in Westmeath posted a video on social media a while ago showing the householder removing the water meter outside his house, so far to date he hasn,t being to court or anything.

On last point of information this is a post doing the rounds on a few anti water charge facebook pages about legally refusing a water meter by quoting the Sale of Goods and Services Act, can,t post link but will copy and paste post below in brackets.

(Did you ask for a water meter? From the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980:
    Unsolicited goods.
    47.—(1) Where—
    (a) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and
    (b) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,
    and either—
    (i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or
    (ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,
    then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.
    (2) The notice referred to in subsection (1) shall be in writing and shall state—
    (a) the recipient's name and address and the address at which the sender may take possession of the goods (if not the same) and
    (b) that the goods are unsolicited.
    (3) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any business, makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent to another person with a view to his acquiring them, shall be guilty of an offence.
    (4) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment in the course of any business and with a view to obtaining any payment for what he knows or ought to know are unsolicited goods—
    (a) threatens to bring any legal proceedings,
    (b) places or causes to be placed the name of any person on a list of defaulters or debtors or threatens to do so, or
    (c) invokes or causes to be invoked any other collection procedure or threatens to do so,
    shall be guilty of an offence.
    (5) In this section—
    “acquire” includes hire,
    “send” includes deliver,
    “sender” includes any person on whose behalf or with whose consent the goods are sent and any other person claiming through or under the sender or any such person,
    “unsolicited” means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.)

If there's one thing in life that's a fact it's that once someone (who is not a solicitor) starts quoting stuff like the sales of goods act they will A:have no idea how it works and B: be completely wrong in their assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Anyone know what size blank to use? 1.5"??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

zega wrote: »
    Anyone know what size blank to use? 1.5"??

3.5"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If there's one thing in life that's a fact it's that once someone (who is not a solicitor) starts quoting stuff like the sales of goods act they will A:have no idea how it works and B: be completely wrong in their assertion.

Especially if they are quoting it at 04:22 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

How will irish water reduce pressure to one property alone?

Advertisement