Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic plug to avoid metering

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A higher charge per litre. But not necessarily on your bill.

An individual bill will not rise as long as you reduce consumption in line with the price rise.

Giving you scope to lower it if you reduce by more than the average. And a likely reduction anyway due to operating economies of scale and reduced future investment needed to meet the wasteful demand.

But we have a 2 tier system Where is the incentive for people with no meter to reduce consumption they will just use the same as they pay a flat rate. People with the meters will just end up paying more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Where is the incentive for people with no meter to reduce consumption they will just use the same as they pay a flat rate.

There isnt one.
    It isnt an ideal system. But it is the best imperfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

The UK does not have meters, why do we need to go to all that expense to fit meters, besides they could go out of calibration if not maintained. Also why is it OK to loose 40% through leak before the meter but leaks after the meter we pay for the lost water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

How the feck would a plastic plug work to clart a meter? It's a paddle cog that turns with the flow, encased in metal and connected to a rev counter that measures flow therefore consumption. You need a bypass. A pipe saddled onto the supply before the meter and saddled back on after the meter, and a compression clamp after the first bypass to restrict the metered pipes flow. And concrete, to cover your tracks. Which rules out a bypass for 95% of people and makes it a pita for the determined/equipped 5%.

Someone will work out a drilling point for the meter body, which will jam the rev counter if a pin is inserted, without causing a leak. Someone, cough, ahem. And the best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭bigroad

But we have a 2 tier system Where is the incentive for people with no meter to reduce consumption they will just use the same as they pay a flat rate. People with the meters will just end up paying more.
    There will be an incentive for the people on the flat rate to sell their water to the ones that are on the meter.
    This whole thing is too rushed ,its a certain vote looser for the next election,nothing has been straight foreward with this government.
    I have a bad feeling that these water meters will end up like the voting machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,858 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How the feck would a plastic plug work to clart a meter? It's a paddle cog that turns with the flow, encased in metal and connected to a rev counter that measures flow therefore consumption. You need a bypass. A pipe saddled onto the supply before the meter and saddled back on after the meter, and a compression clamp after the first bypass to restrict the metered pipes flow. And concrete, to cover your tracks. Which rules out a bypass for 95% of people and makes it a pita for the determined/equipped 5%.

Someone will work out a drilling point for the meter body, which will jam the rev counter if a pin is inserted, without causing a leak. Someone, cough, ahem. And the best of luck to them.

Where did you get the 95%, 5% figures from?

Where did you get the 95%, 5% figures from?

Usual source - same one as the anglo boys used. It's my "go to" statistics place.

Usual source - same one as the anglo boys used. It's my "go to" statistics place.

If it proves to be reliable that will be 50,000 home owners carrying out that bit of engineering. I have a feeling though that you are just talking out of that source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I don't mind paying for the upkeep of the water supply infrastructure, but it should be included in the household charge. But it appears the water charges is the prelude to the eventual selling off of irish water to a multinational or goverment crony.

No it shouldn't, lots of people have private wells why should they have to pay for a service they aren't getting?

If it proves to be reliable that will be 50,000 home owners carrying out that bit of engineering. I have a feeling though that you are just talking out of that source.

Whatever. Some will mess with the meter, that's just a fact - ask the ESB for their experiences with meter tampering, and it's human nature, people mess with stuff people shouldn't mess with. I know I do anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Fact of the matter is Irish Water is only interested in one thing and thats profit not water. They couldnt give a flying mickey if 40% of water is lost just as long as the money rolls in thats why alot of people are up in arms over it me included you can beat around the bush and say but we need to pay for water etc etc etc. What Irish water should have done was completely upgrade the system then come out with the charge not sell a half arsed product.

Would you be happy with a pint with a leaky glass and paying full price? Id seriously doubt it.

The story is that Irish Water is a farce of a company that will more than likely up prices year after year and us Irish will take it up the ass

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No it shouldn't, lots of people have private wells why should they have to pay for a service they aren't getting?

Agree completely my uncle lives out in the country decided ro get his own well due to very bad water pressure, he invested his money and got his well dug his now glad he did but he did say "Dont worry the government will come up with some bull**** law" and I complete agree with him

jonon9 wrote: »
    Agree completely my uncle lives out in the country decided ro get his own well due to very bad water pressure, he invested his money and got his well dug his now glad he did but he did say "Dont worry the government will come up with some bull**** law" and I complete agree with him

They will hardly go to the trouble of making a new law just for his well.

They will hardly go to the trouble of making a new law just for his well.

His not the only one in the country with a well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Waste treatment if you are connected to the sewers.

So what new law is he expecting?

So what new law is he expecting?

This is Ireland come on use you brain they probably come up with some ridiculous ****.

This is Ireland come on use you brain they probably come up with some ridiculous ****.

Give me a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I don't know why people worry about laws that don't exist, if they do dream up some law to charge people with private wells worry about it then. Meanwhile stop giving them ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Where is the water going??? And all this **** like its a pecious commodity...please

It's not like it's leaving planet earth!...ffs

The cycle is! the the cycle of earth!

• Advertisement

Give me a clue.

So you be ok if they came up with a law stated that all well owners should pay for the water they use even though they payed for their own wells.

Yes/No

So you be ok if they came up with a law stated that all well owners should pay for the water they use even though they payed for their own wells.

Yes/No

No. But you should have told me that was the law your uncle says is coming in. It would have saved me wondering what you meant.

No. But you should have told me that was the law your uncle says is coming in. It would have saved me wondering what you meant.

He didnt say the law is coming in he said the gov will more than likely come up with some ****e you took my post out of context abit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes/No
    Yes. It should be a tax that everyone must pay. Even if a person is taking water from their own land they should have to pay for the use of that water.

He didnt say the law is coming in he said the gov will more than likely come up with some ****e you took my post out of context abit

This government only has another year and a bit to go. There will be plently of parties and independents running on a platform to abolish water charges and property tax. If they get enough votes we will all be back to how it was a few years ago.

I have heard no information that the present government is thinking about any legislation to extend water charges to people who are not connected to the mains. So I think your uncle is safe enough at least until after the next election. And the opinion on AH seems to be that the present government will not be re-elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

RayM wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but is there any way of getting free electricity, gas, Sky TV, phone and broadband too? Why limit it to water charges? Gas is natural. I want free gas.

Yep, have you not heard of the neo magnets that slow the new digi meters right down. I know about 20 people using them and are only paying a few cents a day rather than the normal rate and the best bit about it, they cant get done with tampering because they havent tampered with the meter. All theyve done is stick a magnet on side of it. A few have been caught and all the eletrical company done was put a sticker on side saying dont tamper with the mete because its a criminal offence but theres no law stating that you cant stick a magnet at the side of one

Yes/No

A few american corporations tried this in venuzela and there was up roar over it. They even made into the ****ing law that if one collected rain water, its a criminal offence!!! MadnessW!!!

duckcfc wrote: »
    Yep, have you not heard of the neo magnets that slow the new digi meters right down. I know about 20 people using them and are only paying a few cents a day rather than the normal rate and the best bit about it, they cant get done with tampering because they havent tampered with the meter. All theyve done is stick a magnet on side of it. A few have been caught and all the eletrical company done was put a sticker on side saying dont tamper with the mete because its a criminal offence but theres no law stating that you cant stick a magnet at the side of one

If I was one of those 20 people I would be keeping very quiet and not telling the likes of you about it. Loose talk and posting stuff like this on the internet is a recipe for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

duckcfc wrote: »
    I would find it hard to imagine that logic standing up in court...

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I would find it hard to imagine that logic standing up in court...

What logic. In court theres this thing called law and there is no law stating that you cant put a magnet on side of the digi meter. Yes theres laws stating that you cant "tamper" with the eletric meter but nothing in law about these new digi meters. Ask any solicitor or im sure one might pop in to back me up on this mater. Now remember , im talking about these new digi meters where you type a pay as you go code into them, not the actual eletric meter. A cousin of mine is married to someone in the eletric department and he confirmed this

Advertisement