Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic plug to avoid metering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

zega wrote: »
    How will irish water reduce pressure to one property alone?

By restricting it at the same point as the meters is counting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there was a minister on the news a couple nights ago,
    and i think he stated that they produce water,
    i think not,
    we have plenty rain and a great climate,
    i am very unimpressed with them, they are charging too much, would be willing to pay far less, remembering that we have home insurance, bins, household tax, septic tank charges, high electricity charges, and of course after the storm this winter i had to pay 2000euro to fix my home,
    i am finding the rope too tight to keep up with all of this

goat2 wrote: »
    there was a minister on the news a couple nights ago,
    and i think he stated that they produce water,
    i think not,
    we have plenty rain and a great climate,

All that water is completely free. Help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i use rainbarrells with past few yrs for many jobs and it is brilliant,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Water meter? what water meter? i never got one......la la la

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Phoebas wrote: »
    All that water is completely free. Help yourself.

All he needs is a bucket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They produce drinkable water. How do the people who think it should be free think this gets paid for. It costs money?

we've had no investment in our water systems in decades and look what we got. Corroded mains, lead in water, bacterial contamination, burst pipes everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

They produce drinkable water. How do the people who think it should be free think this gets paid for. It costs money?

we've had no investment in our water systems in decades and look what we got. Corroded mains, lead in water, bacterial contamination, burst pipes everywhere.

And do you think that's all going to change because we pay water charges lol. I bet your even educated and all but what I've seen over these last few years with educated people is that their educated to be fcukubg stupid. This company was set up to sypthon money from hard working folk and most of it will end up in off shore bank accounts and these pipes will still be rotten and the water contaminated! Only a fool would think different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

duckcfc wrote: »
    And do you think that's all going to change because we pay water charges lol. I bet your even educated and all but what I've seen over these last few years with educated people is that their educated to be fcukubg stupid. This company was set up to sypthon money from hard working folk and most of it will end up in off shore bank accounts and these pipes will still be rotten and the water contaminated! Only a fool would think different

From your response, I can only assume you're a dumb ass who never went to a school. You really should have gotten "educated". It might have thought you how to spell

The idea behind Irish Water is that they would raise money on the bond markets to invest into the water infrastructure. Responsibility for water infrastructure would be taken out of the hands of individual ministers, who naturally have a short term view of things, and into the hands of people who could take a longer term strategic view.
    This debt also wouldn't have to be included in the national debt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

From your response, I can only assume you're a dumb ass who never went to a school. You really should have gotten "educated". It might have thought you how to spell

Yep. Anti intellectual and mentions hard working folk unironically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Oh look, a poorly written diatribe with multiple misspellings that takes a shot at educated people. Top marks for mentioning the long suffering group "de little peeple" as well.

And the anti-water charges brigade wonder why people don't take them seriously........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

How did we arrive at the point that we find it acceptable that a family whose income barely allows them to get by will be charged the same for water as a family who are millionaires?
    Its a concern that there are so many posters on threads like this who blatantly advertise their lack of empathy and sense of social justice. It would be very interesting if we could find out how many of the people who are so accepting of the water charges are comfortably paid state employees or family of same or are members of political parties. One thing is for certain, Charlie who has a €30K salary and has to pay all his own expenses will be put under serious pressure with this charge and the lpt. Question is, will Charlie get off his arse and go out and vote this time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

How did we arrive at the point that we find it acceptable that a family whose income barely allows them to get by will be charged the same for water as a family who are millionaires?
    Its a concern that there are so many posters on threads like this who blatantly advertise their lack of empathy and sense of social justice. It would be very interesting if we could find out how many of the people who are so accepting of the water charges are comfortably paid state employees or family of same or are members of political parties. One thing is for certain, Charlie who has a €30K salary and has to pay all his own expenses will be put under serious pressure with this charge and the lpt. Question is, will Charlie get off his arse and go out and vote this time?

They are charged the same for electricity, car tax, fuel, bread and a million other things. If had a graded charge you'd basically have an income tax in a system that is already extraordinarily regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ok from what I seen on TV and online most of these water meters are been placed outside houses ,on public property ,So how can a resident be held responsible for any damage or tampering to these meters ?

Surely under the law.. A person cannot be held liable for something that is situated outside their property in the public domain .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Ok from what I seen on TV and online most of these water meters are been placed outside houses ,on public property ,So how can a resident be held responsible for any damage or tampering to these meters ?

Surely under the law.. A person cannot be held liable for something that is situated outside their property in the public domain .

Correct. If someone damaged the meter it would be the person who damaged the meter who would be held liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

12 pages in and still no idea what this plastic plug is or how it works. Im thinking its a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ROCKMAN wrote: »

What happens with the ones that aren't deep enough & we end up with with a situation like a couple of years ago when they froze solid in the ground due to the extreme cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yes. It should be a tax that everyone must pay. Even if a person is taking water from their own land they should have to pay for the use of that water.

Disagree with this one. If you have your own well you are paying for the infrastructure yourself therefore you shouldn't be charged. No problem with paying for water supplied in principle. Same goes for electricity you generate yourself or proper waste management etc.

zerks wrote: »
    What happens with the ones that aren't deep enough & we end up with with a situation like a couple of years ago when they froze solid in the ground due to the extreme cold?

I don't think water meters can freeze. Water pipes can freeze and if they froze before (when there were no meters) they might freeze again. And I suppose what will happen in that case is what happened last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Correct. If someone damaged the meter it would be the person who damaged the meter who would be held liable.

Probably the same person who damaged all of the meters on the road :D

A team of about three people, one looking out at each end of the road and a concrete pourer, would solve the water meter problem.

Then all the residents could call irish water in the morning - some fcuker poured concrete on my meter, please send someone out to fix it immediately. Im not paying if you cant tell me what the meter says. Heres a description of him. 8ft tall wearing a blue suit with red underpants outside. There was a logo on the front "IW".

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Probably the same person who damaged all of the meters on the road :D

A team of about three people, one looking out at each end of the road and a concrete pourer, would solve the water meter problem.

Then all the residents could call irish water in the morning - some fcuker poured concrete on my meter, please send someone out to fix it immediately. Im not paying if you cant tell me what the meter says. Heres a description of him. 8ft tall wearing a blue suit with red underpants outside. There was a logo on the front "IW".

I expect IW will just say you are all getting unmetered bills, same as we do for all the unmetered premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Yes. It should be a tax that everyone must pay. Even if a person is taking water from their own land they should have to pay for the use of that water.

What sort of idiotic post is this. If I grow vegetables on my own land should I pay for that????

Troll

dar100 wrote: »
    What sort of idiotic post is this. If I grow vegetables on my own land should I pay for that????

Troll

Go easy on him, he was frozen. Must have affected his brain.

dar100 wrote: »

Troll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

professore wrote: »

I wonder if he is paying tax on that frozen water

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Disagree with this one. If you have your own well you are paying for the infrastructure yourself therefore you shouldn't be charged. No problem with paying for water supplied in principle. Same goes for electricity you generate yourself or proper waste management etc.
    It's not a charge on infrastructure though, it's effectively a tax. So even if you are drawing water from your own well you should still have to pay tax on the use of that water. Or like any other free limited resource it risks being abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

zega wrote: »
    How will irish water reduce pressure to one property alone?

I hear they would have place and install a device (restricter) onto the stopcock or attach it to the water meter, even at that there is ways and means to remove such a device, when the water charges were in last time in areas where there was a boycott people would just park their cars over the stopcocks to prevent anyone get access to them, one thing remains to be seen if they restrict water without getting a court order, when the councils tried to disconnect people years ago they had to apply for a court order back in the mid 90s and they weren,t always given a court order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

It's not a charge on infrastructure though, it's effectively a tax. So even if you are drawing water from your own well you should still have to pay tax on the use of that water. Or like any other free limited resource it risks being abused.

Its a tax on Water treatment, Are the IW elves in the ground water treating it at the source ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Disagree with this one. If you have your own well you are paying for the infrastructure yourself therefore you shouldn't be charged.....

only problem is not all well water is good - need to test it and look after it

tea taste a bit funny ?
    It is estimated that up to 30 per cent of private wells in Ireland are contaminated with human or animal waste (EPA, Water Quality in Ireland 2007-2009 report, 2010)

or VTEC will kick in yo ....
    VTEC infection is most common in children (60%). In some persons, particularly children under 5 years of age and the elderly, the infection can also cause a complication called haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), in which the red blood cells are destroyed and the kidneys fail. This happens in up to 8% of cases. Some people are left with lifelong kidney problems, which can, on rare occasions, prove fatal.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Campaigns/wellsepa.html

Advertisement