Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiancé has an issue with my salary

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

kylith wrote: »
    And yet somehow his outgoings every month are in the region of €1700. If lunches and petrol wouldn't amount to €500 then where does the money go?

Online gambling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP I honestly get the impression from your posts that you will defend your boyfriend to the hilt despite knowing he's lying to you, despite the fact that you are subsidizing his spendthrift ways (frankly I don't care what he's spending his money on, burning through €20k+ in a year with nothing to show for it is crazy, even if he were earning ten times that), the fact that he would be delighted if you lost your job, that he considers himself more capable of your job than you are...

I mean, from your above post, you're now lying to yourself and lying to him, to keep him happy! Where is the trust in your relationship? I hate to be cynical OP but it sounds to me like your boyfriend knows well which side his bread is buttered so to speak, and he doesn't see you as a person, he looks at you and sees dollar signs. He's milking you for all you're worth, and you think this is love? All I see is money, and talk of money (I'm still recovering after reading your €42k isn't a lot comment!), but the degree to which you are willing to play down your boyfriends behavior and his attitude tells me that while you may be smart when it comes to your career, you're just as deluded as your boyfriend when it comes to money and what relationships are supposed to be about.

I don't think anyone here is going to convince you of anything, despite the overwhelming amount of fantastic advice you've been given, so I would recommend you make an appointment with the people that do this stuff for a living - a financial consultant first of all to have a look at both you and your boyfriends' income and expenditure, and plans for the future (have you any life insurance, medical insurance, pension plan in place?), and a relationship counselor (because any more lies and mistrust and the multitude of issues going on here).

Honestly to me it sounds like you're both just with each other because each other is all you've known since college, you got with him because he was popular in college, and he stayed with you because, well, he saw a mug really, one who he knew would always work hard and put her heart and soul into everything she does, even at great personal and financial cost to herself. The only thing you have left to lose now is the professional cost, and if you lose that, then your boyfriend's dominance over you will be complete, and you'll have let it happen because you weren't willing to tackle all the little things and indicators and red flags, for the sake of keeping the relationship together in the immediate term, the very same as your boyfriend is only thinking in the immediate term, without any sort of planning for the future when the day comes that you realize the actual value of €42k and a boyfriend who genuinely cares about you as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Of course we don't expect you to up and pack your bags based on a thread on the Internet by a bunch of strangers but there is no smoke without fire and I do think that the positive that has come out of this is that in your head you now know something is not right and you are questioning things .

He should be surviving on his wage as others have pointed out people have mortgages and are supporting full families on it .

This will be a slow process for you but I recommend in the next month or two sitting back and watching everything. Keep track as best you can what is going on and maybe try saying no etc if he comes to you for the money or at the very least if he is broke then ask to see the statements and why you are justified in this .

You want to spend the rest of your life with this man then there has to be full disclosure by both of you . You have done your bit now let him do his . I would firmly suggest that you tell him you now need to start a savings account in both your names he should at least be able to contribute to this if he refuses ask him where is the money to come from for the wedding and house deposit. If he refuses then as suspected he things you should pay all and you have your answers .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was hoping to avoid specifics here but now it seems relevant. The RTA I was involved in has had a permanent albeit minor effect on my mobility. It's not preventing me from getting around but it's limited my ability to exercise and do sports etc which would be something I enjoyed before. There is a few fairly noticeable things, including some close to my face, hair growth etc but I'm assured it will eventually be close enough to pre-accident so i've almost come to terms with all of it now. That said, I could not have done this without his help and support, it was never life or death so there was never any dramatic bedside prayers but he's helped me a lot in dealing with the aftermath and coming to terms with my new situation. I feel like I owe him my support in return to be honest, i'm sure I could have come out the other end by myself, but I didn't have to.

So, he is a good person, to me anyway.

I'm sure he did support you and it was very noble of him, it doesn't mean he can't have a gambling problem at the same time and burn through all this money and then turn to you for a handout. Being nice and being a gambler are not mutually exclusive.

You said yourself he was charismatic. Do you think he'd be able to wheedle money out of you and his mother so easily if he wasn't??

You don't owe him anything. Sure you've invested in this relationship, but for it to work in the longrun he has to come clean about his spending, his likely addiction and want to change. Because he was nice to you when you were recovering doesn't mean you fund his gambling lifestyle for the rest of his life, because that's what you are currently doing. By paying his way for real life stuff he is able to fritter his money away on his addiction.

An update on the other situ. Last night wasn't a great time to talk he had a rough day in work and wasn't in the best of form. We went out for dinner and I lied an said I read an article about how it's really hard to get loans or overdrafts or anything if you have gaming transactions on your statement. I was expecting him to get defensive with me but he really didn't. He said the most he's ever spent is €100 one week and that was an accident, he meant to transfer €10. He also said that was over a year ago and he's never made the same mistake again. I told him to be careful and also suggested finding some free games which he said wouldn't be as good. He suggested getting a prepaid credit card for his gaming which will keep the transactions off his statement. I don't know how I feel about that honestly? It doesn't really change anything.

Don't make excuses for him, everyone has busy lives, have crap days in work etc. There is never a good time to talk about a possible addiction.

That story about the €100... he realised you're getting a little suspicious so he's fed you a tidbit to pacify you. Don't you think if his spending was under control at €10 per week, you'd have heard all about it if he spent €100 by accident?

So then he further tried to pacify you by saying it's never happened since. Lying through his teeth.

He told you the truth in the next line: free games wouldn't be as good.

If he wasn't a gambler playing free games would be fine. But that's not enough for him.

And you're right, prepaid cards don't solve anything. If anything he's trying to stay one step ahead of you. If you push to see his current credit card statement I'd bet that it's full of gambling transactions. If he gets a prepaid card you probably won't be able to see any of it.
    So playing it safe as he was already on edge, I also brought up perhaps getting a joint bank account for expenses that I kept the card for. I suggested transferring a little bit more each month - maybe €500 for him and €900 for me. Then if he ran short because he spent his money on things that weren't important, at least if he was resorting to that account it would be his own money. Then the surplus every month could be transferred in to a savings account for whenever we need it. He was very much against this and felt I was trying to take over his life and it turned in to an argument about how lunches and petrol would never amount to €500 and I was being ridiculous and trying to manipulate him and how would he ever be able to put aside €500 when he can't even survive on what he gets now.

And the next question should be why he can't survive on 1750 per month when all his bills have been taken care of, and what exactly is he spending it on? He's quite right, lunches and petrol wouldn't cost him €500 per month, so what is he spending €800 per week on for the first two weeks of the month????

He's against this idea because you're trying to take away his gambling money.

Also if he was anyway serious about getting married to you and wanted to help fund the wedding, he would be open to this idea.
    I see his point, I would hate for anyone to try and dictate to me how I was spending money.

Nope. He just doesn't want you to dictate how much he can fritter away on gambling. He has no point for you to see. He has a problem and he doesn't want to deal with it and you are the crutch that will keep funding his lifestyle. He doesn't want you to take that away from him.

Stop subbing his lunch money for the last two weeks of the month this month and see what happens.

Something else which clicked in (and I really don't want to go with the thoughts he might have a gambling problem)

Addictions are not nice things to deal with by their nature OP, and you've already had a lot to consider from the advice you got on this thread, but if you don't take steps to deal with it, the problem will never be dealt with, because he's not going to do it while you're there to enable his addiction.
    I have noticed after he runs out of money he is still able to play these games. He has always told me that he has won so many times in the lead up that the funds are in his account but now I'm questioning this.

See the thing is, if gambling online was just a hobby where he spent a few euro every week it wouldn't be a problem. If he was broke at the end of the month and he had a couple of hundred in his online gambling account to spare he would just transfer it over and use it to pay his daily expenses. But he doesn't. Every penny he wins goes back into gambling more or less.

There is a common phrase which refers to gambling 'The house always wins' ILoveBananas explained it in detail in an earlier post, but your fiance will always lose more than he wins. You will never hear about the losses only the wins. For him to win €500 he's lost an awful lot more.

He can't win as much as he lets on anyway. The maths don't allow it.

Also, he tells you he runs out of money. It doesn't necessarily make it true. Why would he tell you he has money, when you fund his lifestyle? When it happens this month tell him to take it out of his gaming account and see what happens.
    It's not impossible that he is pretending he's out of money when he is not. I know what he earns, I've seen his payslips and I've seen his bank statements arrive in the post but I have never once noticed one lying around whereas his phone bills and other post is all left in a pile of our correspondence in our kitchen. I flicked through it this morning and there is nothing from his bank at all so there is a possibility these are being kept somewhere deliberately. I can't ask for him to show me his statement though, that's like asking to see someone's diary. I respect him more than that.

Yes, there is a claim pending but it will be a long time before we smell or see it. So, nothing is planned for that money, we've no idea if or when that will ever happen.

Funny that, he clearly doesn't mind you seeing his correspondence when it's left lying around the house, but never his bank statements. So what's he trying to hide? There are transactions on it that he doesn't want you to see. It would seem a bit out of character to hide only one piece of correspondence when the rest including his payslip are available for you to see.

You have a lot of thinking ahead OP. But if you want this to stop, you have to stop enabling his behaviour. Let his money run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Twas Not wrote: »
    Online gambling.

I'm of the opinion that that is probably what it is, but since the OP seems so sure it isn't I'm just trying to encourage her to ask where it goes, since it's unlikely to just evaporate. My other guess would be that he's actually loaded and his bank account is very healthy but he's of the opinion that he'll just get her to pay his way because he's such a miser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well thank you for your input.

I think it's harsh that people expect me to get up and leave someone i've spent most of my adult life with overnight with very little insight in to the full dynamics of our situation and with only a hint of a problem.

I will do my best to investigate this further and make an informed decision. I don't know much of gambling at all. I didn't even realise there was a potential problem until yesterday. I can't bulldoze my entire emotional life based on a few anonymous internet comments so forgive me.

Thanks everyone, I'll take it from here

I wouldn't automatically jump to telling you to dump him, first off.

If you're financing him, you're well within your rights to want to see his bank statements. If he has nothing to hide, why is he hiding these?

The fact that he says non-paid games aren't fun is worrying. They're the same thing, just without money. He's pretty much admitted the fun is in betting.

If he's only spent a tenner a week on gambling, where is his money gone?? He needs plausible explanations for this.

Honestly, what you're posting, I saw in my father for years. Even though he's been in recovery for over 10 years, he still has some of the traits, you never fully lose them.

I'm not suggesting you leave him. But you need to have a very serious discussion. He needs to account for his outgoings. In general, I wouldn't expect someone to tell me where their money goes, but when you're financing them, I absolutely would. Because I earn more than my boyfriend, and have less outgoings, I pay for more than he does. So, if I ask, he tells me where his money has gone, without feeling any need to argue.

If he admits to a problem, good. He can get help, you can support him, and you can hopefully build a happy life together.

If he doesn't admit to it, and can't or won't account for his money, then you need to ask yourself are you happy being his cash cow, and accepting the venom he spews over you earning more?

I wish you all the best. It may be no harm to speak to your GP about getting a referral to somebody who can help you with your self esteem, because you seem to be lacking in it, and almost afraid to broach anything with him. You need open and honest communication if you're going to spend your lives together.

kylith wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that that is probably what it is, but since the OP seems so sure it isn't I'm just trying to encourage her to ask where it goes, since it's unlikely to just evaporate. My other guess would be that he's actually loaded and his bank account is very healthy but he's of the opinion that he'll just get her to pay his way because he's such a miser.

The OP says she doesn't know much about online gambling and she seems to want to keep the head in the sand.

There's a pretty easy solution here. Just get a look at the last 12 months statements for the bank account or credit card linked to the online gambling site. It should tell the true story here.

Well thank you for your input.

I think it's harsh that people expect me to get up and leave someone i've spent most of my adult life with overnight with very little insight in to the full dynamics of our situation and with only a hint of a problem.

I will do my best to investigate this further and make an informed decision. I don't know much of gambling at all. I didn't even realise there was a potential problem until yesterday. I can't bulldoze my entire emotional life based on a few anonymous internet comments so forgive me.

Thanks everyone, I'll take it from here

OP, it is hard to take on board lots of information from anonymous people on the internet and yes, you do have an emotional relationship with this man etc, etc.

No one is telling you to up and leave - but your original post described how he made snide remarks about your earnings every day and how he would be earning more money than you if he was doing your job.

None of this behaviour will change while the problem of his spending remains. You might love him and think he's the bees knees, but I can't see how this situation will improve if the problem of where all his money is going isn't tackled head on and solved.

You can make changes by not supporting the way he spends his money, but he will also have to make changes and if indeed he does have a gambling addiciton, he will have to be the one to make the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Something else which clicked in (and I really don't want to go with the thoughts he might have a gambling problem) I have noticed after he runs out of money he is still able to play these games. He has always told me that he has won so many times in the lead up that the funds are in his account but now I'm questioning this.

OP credit money can be paid out to use at any time. Look at what's going on here right in front of you - even if he's really out of cash after two weeks he could take his credit out and pay for his lunches like a normal person. But he prefers to leave it in to gamble and take your money for lunches instead.
    He also turns it around to make you feel bad about it - that's textbook manipulation.

mhge wrote: »
    OP credit money can be paid out to use at any time. Look at what's going on here right in front of you - even if he's really out of cash after two weeks he could take his credit out and pay for his lunches like a normal person. But he prefers to leave it in to gamble and take your money for lunches instead.
    He also turns it around to make you feel bad about it - that's textbook manipulation.

Manipulation manipulation manipulation !

That's the tool of the gambler. Have seen it up close. You would be amazed really amazed the length gamblers go to feed their addiction. It's as bad as heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

It seems like you're the pied piper, so start calling the tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, asking for his bank statements when YOU are bailing him out isn't like reading someone's diary. You're funding him 26 weeks out of the year - you have every right to see his bank statements! Otherwise, tell him you are no longer bank rolling him. Things are not going to change if you keep your mouth shut. You owe it to yourself to tell him how it is. People are not telling you to just up and leave him without talking to him as maybe you'd like to salvage your relationship. People are telling you to stop making excuses for him and deal with the problem.

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You know nothing about gambling, and up until yesterday it wasn't even a consideration... So please use the advice and experience of people who do know about it. People who are offering you advice based on what they do know, to maybe help you not get so deep as they've gotten.

I would guess you are in pretty deep at this stage. By the time things start becoming suspicious to the outside observer, the person themselves are gone too far.

The fella I've been telling you about had 2 maxed out credit cards and 2 separate bank loans that his wife was completely unaware of.

I know all of this might be difficult for you to hear, and difficult to process right now. So take your time with it. Read and reread... But please don't dismiss people. This is salvageable, but if you bury your head in the sand the same way that your fiancé is burying his head it is only going to get you deeper and deeper into it.

Trust me, you think he was being honest with you last night about the mistake with €100, and there's nothing else to tell... I would bet my house (bad pun) that everytime you talk to him about this he will tell you another little bit, and another little bit. But it won't be the full picture. It could be years before you find out the full extent, if you ever do.

Trust me, you think he was being honest with you last night about the mistake with €100, and there's nothing else to tell... I would bet my house (bad pun) that everytime you talk to him about this he will tell you another little bit, and another little bit. But it won't be the full picture. It could be years before you find out the full extent, if you ever do.

Actually for the OP I think this is an entirely relevant and excellent point to consider. Between them the OP and her boyfriend have the guts of €150k income, and he can't get a €500 overdraft from his bank?

OP you're not earning €100k a year without knowing that being refused a €500 overdraft while earning €42k a year... It just doesn't happen, unless there is something seriously, seriously wrong. People on a quarter of your boyfriends income are able to get overdraft facilities of €1k after six months with their bank.

I know I keep coming back to the €42k isn't a lot comment, but it's enough for a deposit on a house. Your boyfriend can't even get an overdraft facility for €500, so what do you think are your chances of getting a mortgage for €500k?

The other thing I worry about for you OP is that if you actually DO decide to question, and I mean question (not just "Can we talk about your spending? No? Ok then") your boyfriend about his finances, and you do decide that he has to learn to budget properly for himself, and you do decide that you're no longer willing to fund his spendthrift lifestyle... I'm just worried that he might go along with you to your face, while behind your back he's tapping Payday Loan companies, and, well, whatever you might be forgiven for not knowing about banking, I'm sure you're all too aware how payday loan companies make their money, and the utter destruction dependency on them causes in peoples lives.

EDIT: Actually OP forget about ever getting a mortgage, I'm just going over the thread again to see is there anything I can pick up on that I may have missed out on, and I'm wondering what hope have you of ever having a serious conversation about your finances or your future when you can't even make a decision on a bloody couch -

Thank you all for the feedback.

Yes, I think I have absorbed a lot of his resentment and dismissed it, more so because I wanted to avoid acknowledging that this is really an issue between us. We got engaged 2 and a half years ago but we have said 2016 so no planning has really gotten underway yet.

We are a solid couple otherwise and I feel like he does bring out the best in me. In terms of sharing the burden of cost, usually we take turns paying for things but even at that I am more likely to pay for the bigger expenses. He lodges some money in to my account at the end of the month after he has been paid and all bills are paid by me during the month. It's pretty fair.

I don't mind paying extra honestly, with the couch I didn't even think we needed a new couch, he did, then he picked one of the most expensive ones in the shop, which I loved but thought it was a little extravagant. Then when he offered to contribute 20% he genuinely thought that that was fair and was embarrassed that he couldn't reach 50% of the cost. But he basically picked one he couldn't afford knowing I'd wind up paying for most of it and that's why I joked about him only sitting on 20% of it. He needs to see.

The problem is, if I bring it up he will completely deny any resentment toward my earnings and tell me that I don't need on a high horse about my wages.... If I wait until he brings it up he is already in defensive mode.

We don't really fight the rest of the time and I love him very deeply, I just can't see a way to tackle this with out blowing the whole thing out of proportion and creating a hurricane

Your boyfriends spending, and your relationship is already out of control, everything is already blown out of proportion, and now your only option is to engage in some serious damage limitation exercise, and as mike_ie says in his first post, you really need to sit down together and have that conversation with no more lies from either of you, because the more you lie to appease your boyfriend, the easier you're making it for him to make a fool of you.

Twas Not wrote: »
    The OP says she doesn't know much about online gambling and she seem to want to keep the head in the sand.

There's a pretty easy solution here. Just get a look at the last 12 months statements for the bank account or credit card linked to the online gambling site. It should tell the true story here.

I agree with you that it's most likely that he is gambling but if the OP doesn't want to believe it then she won't until the proof is in her hands.

OP, thankfully I've never had a relationship with a gambler, but I did have one as a housemate once. I couldn't have cared less if he shoved his money up his arse as long as he paid his rent and bills, but let me tell you this - if your OH is using slots or roulette then €10 wouldn't last pissing time, even if it's only €1 a play then that's only 10 spins, or about 5 minutes of play. If he's claiming to win enough in that time to fund him the rest of the week then he is either a brazen-faced liar or the luckiest man on the planet and he should be paying your way. There is no way that he is only spending €10 a week if he is spending more than 15 minutes on these sites.

No matter what, OP, you handing him more money to tide him over until payday should require you to see, not be told, see with your own eyes where his money is going; i.e. being shown a bank statement and, well, if he's spending the money on gambling you'll be vindicated, and if he's using it to support Venezuelan orphans you can apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

With regards to his online gambling, there's a pretty easy way to find out if he's being honest - tell him to show you his transactions on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Nobody WANTS to have to believe or even have to consider some of the things that have been suggested to you here as the root of the problem... but if you don't want to consider them, it's all a little pointless asking, really.

No one here is trying to attack YOU... all of the venom is actually directed at your situation, a situation created by him. You seem like a wonderful person whose only flaw is being unquestionably generous and unwilling to "nag"... they're hardly bad personality traits, are they?

However, if you're trying to broach a conversation with him about his finances and he shuts you down, you won't have a happy marriage with this man. He's not willing to be transparent about the most basic aspects of what it takes to make a life together, buy a house, raise children, feed yourselves... how do you think this will end?

Up to you from here how much you want to force the issue with him but I, like everyone else here, I assume, only wish you the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Op I wanted to reply to your thread because I am worried about you. You sound like a lovely kind person who is staying with someone who is taking advantage of her because her confidence is low, especially after a recent accident. You have been with your OH 8 years and its very hard to leave because it is at this stage all you know. Its impossible to think about not being with them because most memories and events you have had were with them.

About a decade ago I moved in with my ex. He had just gotten a new job and he was okay at first but after a while he started running out of money. Now he didnt expect me to fund him and he had an ex wife and kids to support so at first it didnt seem odd but after a while I knew he was keeping things from me. Like you I was terrified to confront him because he had an answer for everything. I ended up going through his things one day when he was out because I'd hit breaking point - he was a cocaine addict. It was his first well paid job and what had he done with the money? stuffed it up his damn nose. He had been so devious about it all, lied about his money, about where he was, about what he was doing. Anyway he had an addictive depressive personality. We got through that (I should have dumped him) and it was only ten years later that we broke up. How we broke up well he decided one day to up sticks and leave but afterwards it became obvious that it was all a facade he had it all planned for a while. The oast few years hadnt been great due to him being broke the whole time (all as a result of his past bad decisions but never his fault) and he had an addictive personality if he drank he drank to get hammered etc. Anyway why am I telling you this? because if someone can live with you and lie to you every day they rarely change their spots. My ex didnt. Sure he stopped taking drugs (as far as I know!) but he would and could lie about whatever suited him. That never went away. Often I would just know damn well he was lying about something but he had a way of making you feel like an idiot. It is really hard to believe that someone you love is bareface lying to you which often is what makes it easy for them to do it.

Your OH may or may not be a gambling addict. However the reality is that between you, with a salary of almost 150k, no mortgage and no dependents you are 'planning on saving up' for a wedding. You should be able to afford a wedding in a few months, you should be able to afford very many things. He is not contributing at all. yes he gives you 750 at the start of the month but then he takes a good chunk back off you for his lunch, for his petrol etc half way through the month.

His money is going somewhere. he is secretive for a reason. He did not get an overdraft for a reason. He hides his bank statements for a reason. When you try and talk about it he gets defensive or changes the subject for a reason. he knows how to manage you - you give him the lunch money or he tells his mammy on you who you are already afraid doesnt like you. he makes snide remarks about you being wealthy to distract from the fact that he is living expense free on 43k.

His money is going somewhere. Its not clothing or you would see it. Its not going out as you would know. It could well be gambling. It could be a drug addiction. It could even be him squirrelling away money as part of an exit strategy or for another reason.

Your choices are hard. You can force him to talk, you can investigate (always a hard one because no one wants to breech trust by going through a partners things). My suggestion would be give yourself a day or two to clear your head and then have a look around the place you share when he isnt there. I am not suggesting that you go throguh his personal stuff but just look around and I bet when you do this with s clear head you will notice things you wonder about. Are there expensive items around that he has bought or are those now gone somewhere. Has he loads of clothes you didnt notice before. is there an area of the place he discourages you from going into or cleaning? With my ex he became quite territorial about the spare room so I looked in there one day and found a box of condoms (he swears to this day he never cheated but who knows) and several items with specks of what powder etc. It was all obvious and there to see without me ever checking his phone or going through his stuff I just had to open my eyes and I started to see things.

I know it probably feels like no way could you be okay without him. You can, you will. You cannot move forward in the relationship really until you know what the hell is going on and then decide if its worth saving. Do it soon before you end up in ten years being the woman who used to earn 100k+ a year but has no assets to show for it because it was all spent on funding the lifestyle of an adult child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OP i have to say that this is honestly one of the most interesting threads I have ever read.

You seem to be a really nice, smart person who has done very well for yourself, but somehow you have this leech hanging on. I can never understand how clever people like yourself get conned by people like your bf. He doesn't pull his weight, he never takes you out or buys you things and has his hand out expecting you to subsidise hes already generous salary.

This guy has really mastered the treat em mean keep em keen form of manipulation. He constantly belittles you about your earnings but at the same time completely relies on you for lunch.

Whether or not he has a gambling addiction (which given all the evidence seems likely) he still blows all his money every month. Like I could understand the odd time running out of money, but every month? If it's not gambling it's something else like drugs or prostitutes or maybe someone else on the side.

Not only that, he resents you. He has some daft notion that if he had applied for the same job he would be on much more than you. You know this isn't true, yet you allow him to control you with this.

I ask to see his accounts, when he object, tell him why should you subsidies his lifestyle and not be entitled to see where he spends his salary.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Toots* wrote: »
    OP, I'm not trying to shout at you, but I'd be seriously concerned about your situation.

I work in a bank and I can categorically tell you that being in a job for 5 years is not a requirement for an overdraft, particularly one that small. My inkling is that his account has been operating badly, they saw all the online gambling transactions, and it was a straight out decline.

Addicts are absolute master manipulators. That whole thing about 'by all accounts he wins most of the time' sounds like exactly the type of thing a gambler would say. "The house always wins." If he's winning enough to buy laptops etc then he's betting a lot more than a few euro a go.
    OP, sorry if this sounds patronising but I'm going to assume that you don't understand the mathematics behind casino games.

To use a trivial example, let's imagine there is a game that flips a coin and it costs €1 to play. Now if you guess the correct side you get your €1 and win an extra 95c. However if you guess wrong you lose your original €1.

In a game like that you'll win money as often as you lose money. The key fact though is that when you win you don't win as much money as you lose when you lose (each time you win you make a profit of 95c, but each time you lose, you lose €1). So in the long run you'll lose money. Every single casino type game, no matter how complicated or exciting looking, runs on this basic principle.
    It's impossible to win at these games in the long run which is why there are no such things as professional roulette players. (As an aside: The only game that is actually possible to become profitable at is poker purely because you can make more money off of the other players than you lose to the house at the same time, but even that is so difficult to do, that only about 10% of players do it in the long run).

So in short, no he's not making money from these games. What you're seeing is the short term wins but you're not hearing about the losses. As someone else pointed out, if he's winning €400-€500 when he wins then that's a signal that he's putting a lot more money in than €10 every week or so.

Just to expand on this a bit, there's a lot of psychology behind gambling also. So many of these games (particularly online bingo) are programmed that you're often ridiculously close to winning, but not quite there. This encourages the gambler to spend more money, they think that the next one will be 'the big one'.

Then after several more games (and obviously a good bit more money), they do win. The vast majority of the time the amount they win is less than the amount they had to spend in order to win it (10 games lost at €50 per game vs winnings of €300) But in their mind the fact that they won confirms that if they hang in there, they will win. This can lead to them reasoning that if they bet even more money, they'll have an even bigger win, but as ILikeBananas pointed out, they'll never come out on top.

The professional poker players who make big bucks don't earn it from game winnings, it's the prize money for actually winning the tournament. He's not going to get rich with online gambling.

I've seen accounts owned by gambling addicts and the pattern usually goes like this:

01/07/14 DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    02/07/14 DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    03/07/14 DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    04/07/14 DEBIT Petrol station/local shop €40
    DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    05/07/14 DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    06/07/14 DEBIT "Online Betting" €500
    07/07/14 CREDIT "Winnings" €1000

Then the whole cycle begins again. You usually see that the bets will be higher in the days immediately following the win, particularly if there's two wins close together because the gambler thinks they're "on a roll". You also see the situations where they've gotten themselves into a mess and they know it, but think that if they keep going they'll have one big win that'll sort everything out, and then they'll walk away. Unfortunately even if the big win comes, they don't walk away.

I've met A LOT of customers whose partners are gambling addicts and usually by the time they find out, the problem is already bad. I had one guy who had absolutely no idea that his wife had ever gambled in her life until he went to take €20 out of the ATM and it swallowed his card, when I checked his account (joint with his wife) I discovered that the cards had been revoked. The account was overdrawn and the wife had been forcing credit with online gambling. He looked like he was going to be sick and asked could he withdraw €20 from their savings, but it had been cleaned out too. That's just one story, I could tell you dozens more.

OP, I know this whole scenario is nightmarish, and I really hope we're all wrong in our suspicions, but there are serious alarm bells ringing. His comment about the free gambling not being as much fun is also a warning. I play poker quite regularly (not online, but with my family/friends) and it's equally fun whether we're playing with money or with matchsticks.

I've never suggested this to anyone before, because usually I feel that snooping on partner is a massive invasion of privacy, but I really think you need to do a bit of digging here. Have a hunt around the house and see can you find his bank statements. If you know he uses the same username and password for everything, try logging in to one of the online gambling sites and check his usage history.

Stop giving him extra money. Let him wheedle and whinge. If ye are renting, tell him you're putting the money away so that ye can buy a house and be settled in before the wedding. If he's giving out that he hasn't got money for lunch, get some nice lunch foods in and let him bring a packed lunch. If you work in the same company, give him a lift to work, or buy him a leap card and drop him to the bus stop. For the love of all that's holy, DO NOT open up a joint account with him.

Obviously I'm not going to tell you to outright leave him, but you HAVE to do some investigation because he's just being too evasive and I think that deep down you know something's not right. If you investigate and discover that he is hiding stuff from you, at least you'll have a better idea where things stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

I get the impression from reading this post that you are the one who resents your partners salary and not him resenting yours. This is not meant to be a criticism though. I get the impression that he appreciates the fact that you earn more and when he said imagine what money he would be on if he had gone your route that this was a compliment, and not an insult. I feel that you resent having to chip in more money for things than he does but to me men have been doing this for centuries and have never resented it. It probably hurts your partner's ego that he is not the one who is earning more and that is understandable, but he acts like it doesn't bother him and that irks you. The best advice has already been given here and that is that you should both be chipping in to a central fund and then that money is used to buy whatever is needed and you both should have an equal say in what is bought and not you having a bigger say just because you contribute more.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dear OP, you have a whole lot to take in here and I can imagine you're overwhelmed by the posters having highlighted the gambling when you thought you only had a fella who was a bit tight/mean spirited in the financial aspects of your relationship.

I'm going unregged for this because I'm slightly ashamed at my own situation, ie. I'm a lone parent, in receipt of handouts from the state (yes, that means from all of you tax paying employed folk, so thanks - I am grateful and ambitious to turn my situation around asap). I want to give some perspective to the 42K though. I support 2 kids, pay my bills, run a car and manage to have food in the house on approximately 17K per year. The ODD time, I have had to ask my folks for some help and I feel so indescribably guilty about that (although they are delighted to help) that I beat myself up about buying myself one bottle of cheap ass wine for the weekend. I hate being the poor mouth, really REALLY hate it and it will change one day, I know.

If there's one thing that this income has taught me, it's that without nice money, you can't have nice things. Your fella is on some very nice money, for someone with no kids who has a very solvent partner. All the gambling speculation aside, that he is broke for the last 2 weeks of the month and simultaneously resents/requires your handouts is a massive problem and one that he is effectively bullying you into not being able to address with him. If he shouts you down or dismisses your opinion every time you bring this up, you are being put in the unlovely position of either letting him be in sole charge of your financial relationship, or having to get much more proactive about taking the reins, ie. stop financing him altogether. This may seem unimaginable, given his ability to make you feel like sh1t when you don't agree to/question his spending.

OP, you know you have a problem when someone on 17K with 2 kids is feeling sorry for you. Do yourself a favour and rise to the confrontation about this, and find out what he's really like NOW, rather than when you're married with kids, eh? Good luck.

I get the impression from reading this post that you are the one who resents your partners salary and not him resenting yours. This is not meant to be a criticism though. I get the impression that he appreciates the fact that you earn more and when he said imagine what money he would be on if he had gone your route that this was a compliment, and not an insult. I feel that you resent having to chip in more money for things than he does but to me men have been doing this for centuries and have never resented it. It probably hurts your partner's ego that he is not the one who is earning more and that is understandable, but he acts like it doesn't bother him and that irks you. The best advice has already been given here and that is that you should both be chipping in to a central fund and then that money is used to buy whatever is needed and you both should have an equal say in what is bought and not you having a bigger say just because you contribute more.

That's very unfair. They both contribute to pay rent and bills. He has about €400 per week for the rest of the month for discretionary spending and it's gone in two weeks. It doesn't matter how much the OP earns, she shouldn't have to fund his lifestyle when he can't manage his money.

The bit highlighted above couldn't be taken as anything but an insult. He's saying it to get a dig at her.

That's very unfair. They both contribute to pay rent and bills. He has about €400 per week for the rest of the month for discretionary spending and it's gone in two weeks. It doesn't matter how much the OP earns, she shouldn't have to fund his lifestyle when he can't manage his money.

The bit highlighted above couldn't be taken as anything but an insult. He's saying it to get a dig at her.

Agreed. It's said in an insulting mean spirited way. Almost like "well if I started when you did where you did I'd be on 200k cos I'm better than you".

OP, you know you have a problem when someone on 17K with 2 kids is feeling sorry for you. Do yourself a favour and rise to the confrontation about this, and find out what he's really like NOW, rather than when you're married with kids, eh? Good luck.

otherperspective I just wanted to say I don't think anyone would deny helping out someone who is actually trying to make a better life for themselves. Your determination is what shines for me in your post, and I know it's going to pay off for you in the long term while setting a great example of a grown adult taking responsibility for your children.

OP if you're still following this thread, otherperspective's story above is one I hear on a day in, day out basis, each story with it's own nuances and quirks. That's the thing about PI, posters here are talking from experience. As I read Dark Phoenix' post above I thought "When did my wife join Boards?", because she could've written that post ten years ago. The difference being that I've always been the sole earner in our relationship, but because money means nothing to me, if we were to have any future, I had to let my wife handle the finances. I simply cannot have access to money as I don't trust myself with it. My wife gave me €20 to go to the shop for smokes for myself one night, I met a homeless couple on my way and took them with me down to the shop and let them get €20 worth of groceries for themselves. For my wife, it wasn't the money, it was the fact that I couldn't even do that much without not seeing what I had done, again!

OP you're basically bankrolling a spoilt child. It takes some doing to go out and spend a grand on a night out, and then buy a load of fancy gadgets at the start of the month, and then as you said he's tired of them a month later, and then coming to you mid-month to be bankrolled again? You're so scared that people won't like you that you'll cower to his demands every time, under threat that he'll run back to his mother, who you know doesn't like you because you're not "good enough" for her son. He doesn't particularly like you either by all accounts, or he would genuinely support you and see that his spending is an issue.

He probably won't though, because he's never been forced to examine his own behavior. I was forced to examine my own behavior OP when it came down to my wife nearly walking out on me. Scared the shìt out of me tbh, and was enough for me to get my act together and sort myself out.

You need to realize your own value OP, because you're worth a hell of a lot more than just somebody else's piggy bank, underneath all that power dressing, there's a person that needs to start copping on before they're left with nothing, and you will be, because if he ever does manage to clean you out, he'll just move on to the next fool, and you'll be left on your own to pick up the pieces.

I fully intended on bowing out of this thread yesterday however on reflection a lot of posters have been exceptionally helpful and I am utterly grateful for their contributions which have alerted me to things which I can only deal with at my own pace.

I really am disheartened by the contributions dismissing my efforts to come to terms with this in a very short-space of time whilst I am openly having small discussions and trying to investigate these things whilst also dealing with my own emotional overload etc. I am trying to make good choices here so please, I would ask kindly for posters to appreciate this.

Last night I stayed up to watch the end of a movie after he had gone to bed and I (for the first time in my life) decided to open his laptop. His gaming account was logged in and open and I found myself looking at his profile and transaction history. There are no words to describe how horrible and malicious I felt checking up on him and honestly, I'm even more distraught by what I found. I am ashamed and embarrassed for being so oblivious but yes, there's a lot more money moving around the betting account than I have been led to believe....in fact, about twice what I would have even considered to be a problem.

I went to bed and didn't even want to touch him, I feel sad for him if he has this problem but also, I feel quite numb.

Any advice or opinions on how I should tackle this will be greatly recieved. I have not yet said this too him, I'd rather he didn't know I went on to his laptop so if there's a way I could coax it out of him it would be better. I'd rather help him than lose him but at the same time, today, I'm not even sure who he is. Sorry if this sounds very dramatic it's just not the outcome I expected. If anything on some level I was hoping looking at his account would set my mind at ease.

OP, just to say too... stop feeling guilty that you do better than him. I get the feeling that when he gets snarky you try to make him 'feel better' about it. He's not upset because you earn more than him, he's using your guilt about doing better than him as a stick to beat you with while you flatter his ego.

Next time he says that if he had your job he'd be earning more than you just tell him "Off you go, so. Go do it. If you'd be so great go get a job like mine and make a ton of money". No sympathy for him - if he wanted or could do a job like yours there's nothing stopping him from going looking for one.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Toots* wrote: »
    I've never suggested this to anyone before, because usually I feel that snooping on partner is a massive invasion of privacy, but I really think you need to do a bit of digging here. Have a hunt around the house and see can you find his bank statements. If you know he uses the same username and password for everything, try logging in to one of the online gambling sites and check his usage history.

I'm also a great one for respecting other's privacy - I personally dont think its right to snoop on someone, but OP, I'm afraid in this case, because it will have a very serious bearing on your lives together if you marry, and you will be as badly affected by his credit rating and financial decisions, that I think you have no choice but to find out everything you can before you marry.

For me, I'd need to see his bank statements and have access to view his online banking account before I could marry. I think because you are on an excellent salary yourself, you see that him being on less than half is on the breadline.

The breadwinner in our family is on similar to your partners salary. Combined, we take home less than half what you both do, and we run two cars, pay rent, bills, and have a child so have added expenses - clothes, shoes, doctors, baby equipment, and pay full time creche fees. We are not rolling in it, and we do have to mind what we spend, but if we had your combined income, we would consider ourselves rich. I think you have lost sight of the fact you both have a massive income combined.

Our next door neighbours just got a mortgage this year and bought a 4 bed house. From start to finish, they began looking in September, and the process complete in March. They are working in the catering industry and together have the same gross salary as your partner has alone. So if they can get a mortgage, on such a low wage (and no, they didnt have assets or a big deposit either) how come a bank wont give your partner €500 overdraft?

You sound lovely. Someone with down to earth values, no airs or graces or delusions of grandeur like your future mother in law, you are someone who's parents worked hard all their lives and showed you the value of working solidly and hard towards your career. I bet they are really proud of you. YOU should be proud of you. I love to see people like you succeed in life.

He has a bad attitude. Putting you down and belittling your achievements is NOT what someone who loves you should do. Sneering or being cruel have no place in a loving relationship. This is a serious red flag. Being defensive, storming off, projecting, gaslighting you when it comes to any thing you are genuinely concerned about is not what someone who would do anything for you would do.

Its great you are recovering from your RTA. But think, for a minute, that if your injuries had been greater, that perhaps you were permanently disabled, and couldnt work, and relied on disability benefit and his salary. If you were physically and financially dependant on him. Maybe throw a couple of children into that scenario if someday you would like that to happen. Think about this. Think about how frustrated and beaten down you would be at his refusal to discuss finances openly. Think about how scared you'd be two weeks of every month when you've no money for your pain meds. Or what if you had a special needs child who needed full time care and you had to live off one wage?

We take the vow when we marry - for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health. And I know a couple, more than one in fact, who had a special needs child, resulting in a drastic lifestyle change with a full time carer and one income. A good friend had cancer and had to give up her business while she got treatment so her household income plummeted. She has 3 kids. I know another woman who was a stay at home mother until her husband had an accident and landed in a wheelchair. My point is, when you marry, you are both in it together. Right now, what is his, is his, and what is yours, is his too. Thats wrong.

Find out as much facts as you can. I doubt any poster will tell you you shouldnt snoop with an issue as serious as this. Then take your time to absorb all the facts, then make the best decision for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

I was just about to post something along the lines of what otherperspective has said. My ex earns about €32,000 a year, after tax has a disposable income of about €500 a week. He has a mortgage & all the expenses that go with that, he travels 120 km a day to & from work costing him about €80 a week in petrol, he pays maintenence to his son €75 a week, travels 300km round trip every second week to see his son. I went back to college, thankfully in my final year & we also have a son. If my ex was able to sustain a household (now it was a struggle) with 2 adults & 1 child, paying maintenance for another on his wage, why cant a man with a lot more disposable income not sustain himself??

You come across as a lovely person but I think you need a big dose of reality & I mean that in the nicest possible way, €43k is not a small wage packet by any stretch of the imagination, there is something seriously wrong if one person cannot sustain themselves on that wage & that's not even taking into consideration what you contribute.

• Advertisement

Hi OP.

Something struck me about your situation. It may not have any bearing, but it's worth noting. You mentioned that you were in an RTC and have some scarring. Don't discount the massive effect this will have had on your self-esteem.

You mention how "handsome" and "charismatic" your fiancé is and how he could have anyone he wants and to me that comes across as a genuine fear that he could leave you at any time if you kick up a fuss. On some level you may be feeling "If he leaves me, will I ever meet someone else?"

My mam was in a serious collision a few years ago. She had comparatively minor injuries but suffered significant scarring to her face. I can't stress how huge an effect this had on her. It has taken her YEARS to come to terms with it and she still hates being photographed and feels that it's all people look at, even though with time it's barely noticeable.

Obviously I don't know and it's none of my business what injuries you have sustained, but being aware of the effect it may be having on you might help you to see things more objectively.

As for the money thing, my partner and I put together earn just a little more than what your fianceé does and we still pay rent at inflated Dublin prices, car and bus costs, all our bills, food and supplies for our pets, some little treats like books and dvds, prescription medicine costs, a trip to Costa every Saturday for breakfast, and[/]b put money into savings every month. We're hardly loaded but we don't like like paupers either. There's no good reason for a salary of €43k to leave someone broke for the last two weeks of the month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement