Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

RustyNut wrote: »
    If they are serving with the idf then yes they are blowing up children.

Nearly every citizen of Israel has served with the IDF (including Outbrain founders and employees)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Nodin wrote: »
    The taxes they pay are. That's how sanctions/boycotts work. Nobody dies, but life is made harder. If it bothers you that much, why not address the root cause and campaign for withdrawal from the West Bank etc

The Guardian and Outbrain partnership gives plenty of taxes to Israel, will you be boycotting The Guardian?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

So since we are on the Issue of Boycott. Whats the point in Boycotting products that are made within Israel without Boycotting Companies that support or Trade with Israel ?

for example

Star Bucks Coffee,
    Coke a Cola..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So since we are on the Issue of Boycott. Whats the point in Boycotting products that are made within Israel without Boycotting Companies that support or Trade with Israel ?

for example

Star Bucks Coffee,
    Coke a Cola..

I normally drink a couple o buckets of starbucks a day and haven't gone near the place in 2 weeks solely because of their ties to Israel. I have also emailed them.telling them this. I can't boycott EVERY company with ties to.Israel but i am certainly staying away from ones i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

brimal wrote: »
    The Guardian and Outbrain partnership gives plenty of taxes to Israel, will you be boycotting The Guardian?

It's for the Guardian to boycott outbrain.

Why can't you answer the question?

Do you support the settlement project?

• Advertisement

maybe we should boycott Irish products too given all the abuse against children here?do people actually know the full history and why there boycotting.this has been going on decades and both sides are guilty of atrocities,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

You don't have a choice though with The Guardian's website. Each page has Outbrain's technology embedded on it. Each view you give their website, you are using Outbrain, thus helping an Israeli company.

Supervalu and Tesco and wherever else have already purchased those carrots and things though and they do so to make up for produce they cannot source locally.
    I've read people on this thread won't shop at Smyths now because they still sell Israeli toys. I wonder do they apply the same to their viewings of The Guardian website?

That's for them to say but its not as straightforward as a product in a supermarket or toy shop and wanting them to stop stacking the shelves.
    As for you mentioning boycotting Israeli news outlets, wouldn't that result in an unbalanced view of the conflict? Would it not be important to read reports from news outlets actually in Israel (Ha'aretz for example)

I didn't mean boycott Israeli newspapers, I just meant the issue wasn't the Guradian itself it was their use of the software.

Its a good point you make about the Israeli newspapers. You need these things to make an informed opinion. So likewise boycotting any news outlets in an attempt to have an impact on a situation would only really reduce the ability for people to have an informed opinion of it. That wouldn't be good.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    maybe we should boycott Irish products too given all the abuse against children here?do people actually know the full history and why there boycotting.this has been going on decades and both sides are guilty of atrocities,

Yes. Do you?

http://www.yesh-din.org/cat.asp?catid=4

http://peacenow.org.il/eng/content/settlements-focus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You don't have a choice though with The Guardian's website. Each page has Outbrain's technology embedded on it. Each view you give their website, you are using Outbrain, thus helping an Israeli company.

You seem to be quite fixated about a British newspaper on an Irish website. Why don't you explain in detail exactly how Outbrain makes money every time you click on a webpage.

Is it a case that perhaps Outbrain only gets paid whenever someone clicks on the sponsored listings?

People looking for information on what Israeli products they can boycott within Ireland. Click the link below.

Boycott Israel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Gaza Strip: Boycott Israeli Products App Gets 350,000 Supporters:

"An app that allows users to search for a product linked to targeted companies or countries in order to boycott them has seen a significant surge in users signing up to anti-Israel campaigns.

Buycott catalogues brands and their affiliations and lets users set up campaigns to either help or avoid funding certain causes. By scanning a product's barcode with their smartphone camera, consumers are able to determine which brands are associated with which campaigns.

The two most popular campaigns currently on Buycott are Long Live Palestine Boycott Israel and Avoid Israeli Settlement Products. Between them they have close to 350,000 supporters, over a quarter of which have joined in the last 12 hours (at time of publication)."
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gaza-strip-boycott-israeli-products-app-gets-350000-uploads-1460191

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

They can boycott Israel now and then be 100% certain of it later when Israel's racism, expansionism and ignoring of international law is made clear to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

for example

Star Bucks Coffee,
    Coke a Cola..

Because it's cool to be in Starbucks reading The Guardian and saying "that's terrible whats going on in Gaza"
    No rush off to join the Hamas fighters though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Interesting point. Israel has imprisoned a former president for sex offenses. Not saying Israel is above criticism but it does seem to have good record on brining well-connected offenders to account.

Ireland, not so much. We usually wait until they're dead and then have a tribunal.

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    I'm sick of this misinformed,childish, PC attitude the Irish seem towards the Israelis at the moment. Israel has the right to defend itself from Hamas, a bunch of fundamentalist Islamic nut jobs who are a sect of the Muslim brotherhood, the same crowd who call for sharia law to be implemented throughout the world and who's literal goal is to make Islam the religion of all.
    I support Israel 100%. Israel is our only ally in the Middle East but again,the deluded Irish are literally condoning the actions of a terrorist organisation. What are the Israelis supposed to do? Just let themselves be attacked? They are the side who want peace whilst the jihadist nut jobs continue to wreak havoc upon their own people. It's about time they wipe Hamas out once and for all.

Agreed. To the Palestinians, I urge them to stop supporting terrorism and spend the aid from the US and elsewhere more wisely, e.g. investing in business.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Interesting point. Israel has imprisoned a former president for sex offenses. Not saying Israel is above criticism but it does seem to have good record on brining well-connected offenders to account.

Ireland, not so much. We usually wait until they're dead and then have a tribunal.

But it asks America to help it's soldiers to avoid being tried for war crimes, Yeah....the bastion of truth and justice :rolleyes:

Looks like George Galloway has gone too far.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-galloway-declares-bradford-an-israelfree-zone-9653894.html

His comments as reported above are apparently the subject of a police investigation due to complaints made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Agreed. To the Palestinians, I urge them to stop supporting terrorism and spend the aid from the US and elsewhere more wisely, e.g. investing in business.

Something tells me the Israelis wouldn't be long blitzing those businesses!

Rightwing wrote: »
    Something tells me the Israelis wouldn't be long blitzing those businesses!

If they were being used to make rockets, probably the Israelis would blitz them. Otherwise, no.

If they were being used to make rockets, probably the Israelis would blitz them. Otherwise, no.

If they were for basic human needs I'd imagine they would be.

That country really needs to clean up its disgraceful image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Looks like George Galloway has gone too far.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-galloway-declares-bradford-an-israelfree-zone-9653894.html

His comments as reported above are apparently the subject of a police investigation due to complaints made.

With friends like these who needs enemies?

I bet he's relishing the situation in Gaza at the moment. A real opportunity to let his bigotry and long hatred for Israeli come out in full force.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

dav3 wrote: »

People looking for information on what Israeli products they can boycott within Ireland. Click the link below.

Boycott Israel

..... to have your ip added to a cia/mossad list.

No, not really.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Sharon

..... to have your ip added to a cia/mossad list.

And?

mad muffin wrote: »
    With friends like these who needs enemies?

I bet he's relishing the situation in Gaza at the moment. A real opportunity to let his bigotry and long hatred for Israeli come out in full force.

Would agree but if it's any consolation given poor showing for Respect party in the recent council elections, he is unlikely to be-relected next year.

Maybe then he will go and join Hamas. In which case, good riddance.

bumper234 wrote: »
    And?

and some may not want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

If boycotts aren't for you. Here is a list of upcoming events to show solidarity for the Palestinian people.

You can even bring your tinfoil hat.

UPCOMING EVENTS

I think they have other things to worry about than someone on a forum discussing not buying carrots. Paranoia is a dangerous thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

It's funny that most of the people you see going to these solidarity events are also IRA terrorist apologists. Says it all.

bumper234 wrote: »
    I think they have other things to worry about than someone on a forum discussing not buying carrots. Paranoia is a dangerous thing.

True enough, but the Israelis have a history of targetting innocent folks!

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote: »
    If boycotts aren't for you. Here is a list of upcoming events to show solidarity for the Palestinian people.

You can even bring your tinfoil hat.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Oh, I see we're at full tetchy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement