Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nodin wrote: »
    It isn't. You stated that no-one from Turkey could criticise Israel because of what that state did, and I'm just asking if the same applys to America?

Does it?
    If it is it means you're talking nonsense because its simple asking you to back up your argument that nobody from Turkey can criticise Israel because of their history.

Very recent still occurring history.

If you guys can't see the difference. Then I can't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mad muffin wrote: »
    Very recent still occurring history.

If you guys can't see the difference. Then I can't help you.

The atrocity against the Armenians wasn't and your brought it up. Do you therefore think that no one from America can criticise Israel because of the fate of the native Americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Before I was mostly on the fence about the whole thing, neither side could be considered innocent but the more I read from the pro Israel side the more I see they barely have a leg to stand on. It is like shooting someone because they punched you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Before I was mostly on the fence about the whole thing, neither side could be considered innocent but the more I read from the pro Israel side the more I see they barely have a leg to stand on. It is like shooting someone because they punched you.

So you agree that there is a large element of self defence in what the Israelis have done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

fedor.2. wrote: »
    So you agree that there is a large element of self defence in what the Israelis have done
    There is of course, but why such a disproportionate response?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Magaggie wrote: »

I don't know to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Self defence? It's a bit like caging a wildcat in the back yard and battering it every time it scratched you.

Stop penning it in, harassing it, and destroying its environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

fr336 wrote: »

The Guardian website must be boycotted too.

Their website uses Outbrain, an Israeli company, for it's related content generator and marketing on each article.

http://www.theguardian.com/media-network-outbrain-partner-zone/what-is-outbrain-video

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/.premium-1.583772

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

fedor.2. wrote: »

Some self defense anyway. Killing everyone in their path is going over the top though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes boycott all products from Israel and while we are at it boycott all products that pay slave wages.
    Boycott all foods that are unhealthy.

I just hope nobody on this thread is using an Apple Samsung or Microsoft device what these firms do in China is shocking.

The only way to really stick to all these boycotts is to go and join the Amish.
    Another idea would be to send a donation to the people caught up in bad situations around the world.

Do they bomb schools?

For what it matters I haven't eaten nestle in nearly 20 years because of their actions.
    ]
    i use a nokia partly because nokia makes a greater effort to track conflict metals in their phones.

I can't withdraw from the world. I can't source every single product I use. But I can do the best that i can. And that means that if there's something I can do, I do it. Doing one and not another isn't pointless because at least I'm doing something.

You can rationalise your laziness, apathy and inaction all you want, but at least I'm doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Grayson wrote: »
    Do they bomb schools?

For what it matters I haven't eaten nestle in nearly 20 years because of their actions.
    ]
    i use a nokia partly because nokia makes a greater effort to track conflict metals in their phones.

I can't withdraw from the world. I can't source every single product I use. But I can do the best that i can. And that means that if there's something I can do, I do it. Doing one and not another isn't pointless because at least I'm doing something.

You can rationalise your laziness, apathy and inaction all you want, but at least I'm doing something.

Don't forget to iron your cape before you head to Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Magaggie wrote: »

Disproportionate is a stupid modern politically correct concept that has no place in such a situation. When someone attacks you you slam them 100%. I don't agree with Israeli policies toward Gaza or the rest of the Palestinian territories but when they have 3,000 missiles fired at them I believe they are entitled to use their overwhelming force as much as they can and it's Hamas' stupidity, and the population that support them, that they poke the tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Piliger wrote: »
    Disproportionate is a stupid modern politically correct concept that has no place in such a situation. When someone attacks you you slam them 100%. I don't agree with Israeli policies toward Gaza or the rest of the Palestinian territories but when they have 3,000 missiles fired at them I believe they are entitled to use their overwhelming force as much as they can and it's Hamas' stupidity, and the population that support them, that they poke the tiger.

What a disgusting disposition you have. You just justified the wholesale slaughter and maining of innocent civilians. Do yourself a favour and take stock of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So by your own logic then Gaza; being under constant economic, cultural and physical attack should wage all out war on Israel.

What do you honestly expect them to do? If Britain blockaded Ireland for years do you think that we would not fight back?

What a disgusting disposition you have. You just justified the wholesale slaughter and maining of innocent civilians. Do yourself a favour and take stock of yourself

What a disgusting disposition you have. You just justified the wholesale slaughter and maining of Israeli civilians. Do yourself a favour and take stock of yourself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

What a disgusting disposition you have. You just justified the wholesale slaughter and maining of Israeli civilians. Do yourself a favour and take stock of yourself !

Where exactly dis I do that then?

So by your own logic then Gaza; being under constant economic, cultural and physical attack should wage all out war on Israel.

What do you honestly expect them to do? If Britain blockaded Ireland for years do you think that we would not fight back?

The blockade is because of the constant shelling by Hamas. You must be terminally naive if you think this is all one sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Why would Britain do that? We are not set on the "destruction of Britain" nor do we spend our days firing rockets at them. If we were, they might do so and they would be well within their right to do so, in my opinion.

What do you expect Israel to do, sit there and get pummelled by Hamas rockets? If they lifted the blockades, Hamas would use it as a chance to gets arms in, you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't forget to iron your cape before you head to Supervalu.

I will admit, i have no idea where my iron or cape comes from.

Seriously though, all I do is make a mental note not to purchase stuff i know is badly sourced. It doesn't involve me actively doing something like protesting. I'm not going without anything since I buy other products instead. I'm doing the bare minimum.

You can't even be bothered doing that and you slag off people who do. That says a lot about your character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The blockade is because of the constant shelling by Hamas. You must be terminally naive if you think this is all one sided.

You should inform yourself. Hamas hadn't fired a rocket in 18 months before Israel, on the false pretext of Hamas involvement in the deaths of the 3 West Bank settlers, attacked Hamas. Hamas then responded. To clarify, Israel attacked Hamas before Hamas fired rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You would have a point if what your saying was true. Firstly, there has not been constant shelling by Hamas, before the latest war on Gaza, Hamas were not firing rockets and were actively stopping others from doing so.

Secondly, the siege is regardless an illegal act of collective punishment, that is illegal regardless of what Hamas is doing. The fact that Hamas had stopped not only there own rocket fire and that of other groups, destroys the already flimsy justification for the siege on Gaza.

Berserker wrote: »
    Why would Britain do that? We are not set on the "destruction of Britain" nor do we spend our days firing rockets at them. If we were, they might do so and they would be well within their right to do so, in my opinion.

What do you expect Israel to do, sit there and get pummelled by Hamas rockets? If they lifted the blockades, Hamas would use it as a chance to gets arms in, you can be sure of that.

Based on the actions of the few, both North and South of the border, and the bombings in the North and mainland Britain, they could easily have done to us, what Israel are doing now. Would that have been correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You should inform yourself. Hamas hadn't fired a rocket in 18 months.

Pretty concise.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2014

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The List doesn't mention which group fired the rockets...... Some people seem to have a habit of misrepresenting the information there posting.

As has been said before, other groups fire rockets, and Hamas do actively try to stop them, but it would be impossible for them to stop all of them, all the time.

Would it have been OK for Britain to do to us, what Israel are doing?
    Groups, acting out of the Republic, waged a campaign that lasted for decades.

Berserker wrote: »

That's exactly what Israel should do. Open the blockade. Then we'll see where Hamas intentions lie.

wes wrote: »
    The List doesn't mention which group fired the rockets...... Some people seem to have a habit of misrepresenting the information there posting.

As has been said before, other groups fire rockets, and Hamas do actively try to stop them, but it would be impossible for them to stop all of them, all the time.

That's a pretty weak argument.

Oh sorry. We don't know where these rockets are coming from. So sorry. We are just a government in name only. We can't control our little territory.

Again so sorry.

mad muffin wrote: »
    That's exactly what Israel should do. Open the blockade. Then we'll see where Hamas intentions lie.

Do you think that no one from America can criticise Israel because of the fate of the native Americans?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Do you think that no one from America can criticise Israel because of the fate of the native Americans?

I don't normally put anyone on my ignore list but there is always a first…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement