Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-season Friendlies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

roryc wrote: »
    I originally had RVP and Silva in mind. Seeing Rooney and Mata link up well in their first game (without RVP) immediately made me switch, as I always planned on having two or three United players due to their fixtures. Unfortunately making the switch last week was of no benefit, because despite being right about them being a good pairing (as many others on the forum were) it makes no difference. The more it becomes publicised how well they are doing, the more casual players are likely to pick them for GW1. Its almost a curse that the game opens a month before GW1!

I'm still not getting your point :)

If it opened next week, what difference would there be?
    The publicity doesn't go away.
    The fact that they are 2 good players doesn't go away.
    People would still know that RVP hasn't played.

It sounds like you're issue is with having preseason friendlies rather than the game opening up earlier.

And there's plenty of chance for casuals to be distracted. A few good displays in the Charity Shield could push up the City (especially with Silvas current % or if someone like Navas had a cracker) and Arsenal midfielders ownership even more.

Sure you might stick Silva back in yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I originally had RVP and Silva in mind. Seeing Rooney and Mata link up well in their first game (without RVP) immediately made me switch, as I always planned on having two or three United players due to their fixtures. Unfortunately making the switch last week was of no benefit, because despite being right about them being a good pairing (as many others on the forum were) it makes no difference. The more it becomes publicised how well they are doing, the more casual players are likely to pick them for GW1. Its almost a curse that the game opens a month before GW1!

In fairness i would not call anyone watching preseason matches and form to pick their opening team a casual! Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zarquon wrote: »
    In fairness i would not call anyone watching preseason matches and form to pick their opening team a casual! Far from it.
    Was thinking something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Haha I'm more referring to people who make their team last minute. Would prefer if some of these players flew under the radar a bit... hopefully the likes of Ashley Young keep banging in goals and distract peoples attention away!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ashley Young to score a hat-trick against Swansea, followed by 2/3 more performances with goals and assists. We write it off as early season madness, he doesn't stop scoring, the FSA approaches melt-down, we split into factions until a very select few remain not owning Young and the brigade is formed :pac:

I laugh now, but just wait for it to happen.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Ashley Young to score a hat-trick against Swansea, followed by 2/3 more performances with goals and assists. We write it off as early season madness, he doesn't stop scoring, the FSA approaches melt-down, we split into factions until a very select few remain not owning Young and the brigade is formed :pac:

I might actually consider Ashley young at 5.5 given uniteds fixtures if I didn't think i'd be using my 3 united players elsewhere.
    And as a united fan I know as much as anyone how frustrating he can be and that he isn't really up to united's standard but at 5.5 he's better than most in that bracket. but just to be clear, i'm unlikely to be adding him.

He could be this years Ramsey. He could also be this year's Ben Arfa. On current form though he would actually be a reasonable pick for the 1st few games.

Still Mata and Rooney are essetial for the opening games along with a defensive player which i would suggest to be either De Gea or Evans.

Still Mata and Rooney are essetial for the opening games along with a defensive player which i would suggest to be either De Gea or Evans.

Agreed, this is the point I was making above. They are essential, I just wish it wasn't so bloody obvious!

Lukas Jutkiewicz has 2 goals for Burnley against Celta Vigo tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's 5 goals now I reckon he will start up top with Ings in behind.

• Advertisement

That's 5 goals now I reckon he will start up top with Ings in behind.

Ings didn't play tonight in what looked like an otherwise strong team. Ashley Barnes was in behind LJ and got an assist. I think Ings had some kind of knock but wasn't serious going by twitter. Wallace got the other assist and the game ended 2-2

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Duff, Shackell (c), Mee; Arfield, Marney, Jones, Wallace; Barnes, Jutkiewicz

Ings didn't play tonight in what looked like an otherwise strong team. Ashley Barnes was in behind LJ and got an assist. I think Ings had some kind of knock but wasn't serious going by twitter. Wallace got the other assist and the game ended 2-2

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Duff, Shackell (c), Mee; Arfield, Marney, Jones, Wallace; Barnes, Jutkiewicz

Ye ings for barnes and maybe kightly for wallace and thats the first eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

i hope martin and roy are keeping tabs on him

Can't believe I am honestly entertaining the idea of three Stoke players in my GW1 team. Think they play Betis tonight, will tune if for the game.

Can't believe I am honestly entertaining the idea of three Stoke players in my GW1 team. Think they play Betis tonight, will tune if for the game.

Only Cameron and Bojan are somewhat appealing to me. Who else have you in mind?

Only Cameron and Bojan are somewhat appealing to me. Who else have you in mind?

5.0 guys are value too IMO

CSF wrote: »
    5.0 guys are value too IMO

Huth has been in my team since day 1 great opening fixtures a goal threat and under the radar due to missing most of last season injured.

Huth has been in my team since day 1 great opening fixtures a goal threat and under the radar due to missing most of last season injured.
    Is Wilson starting instead of him not a slight worry?

Huth is the main one, and considering Cameron + Bojan. Likely will only have Huth though.

Huth is the main one, and considering Cameron + Bojan. Likely will only have Huth though.
    I want Huth, but feel Pieters has a more solid certainty of starting. Are we sure Pulis is going to break up what was a very successful Stoke defence after Huth's injury?

• Advertisement

Is Wilson starting instead of him not a slight worry?

Huth has been starting the last few pre season games once he starts the weekend game Ill go with Huth.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I want Huth, but feel Pieters has a more solid certainty of starting. Are we sure Pulis is going to break up what was a very successful Stoke defence after Huth's injury?

I doubt Hughes will want Pulis interfering with his team selections. ;)

jebforever wrote: »
    I doubt Hughes will want Pulis interfering with his team selections. ;)

Would you say no to Tony Pulis?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Would you say no to Tony Pulis?

Well when you put it like that... :pac:

Huth has been starting the last few pre season games once he starts the weekend game Ill go with Huth.
    With the Stoke starting team tonight it is definitely a bigger worry.

whats the back 4

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

You know you're a true FPL addict when you start worrying about the Stoke starting line up! In pre season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

whats the back 4

Stoke City team v Real Betis: Begovic, Bardsley, Pieters, Whelan, Ireland, Arnautovic, Wilson, Nzonzi, Shawcross (c), Diouf, Bojan.

So Bardsley, Pieters, Wilson, Shawcross I suppose.

tom_k wrote: »
    Stoke City team v Real Betis: Begovic, Bardsley, Pieters, Whelan, Ireland, Arnautovic, Wilson, Nzonzi, Shawcross (c), Diouf, Bojan.

So Bardsley, Pieters, Wilson, Shawcross I suppose.

I wouldn't say it's as certain as that but I wouldn't be investing in huth either way. Plenty will be caught out on him if it does go that way

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it's as certain as that but I wouldn't be investing in huth either way. Plenty will be caught out on him if it does go that way

That's a strong team out may well go with pieters so

Advertisement