Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-season Friendlies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

10 goals scored so far in the first two pre season friendlies. Only warm up games but still! Looking like two United attacking players might be a good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Liverpool win 1-0 thanks to Sterling.
    Siggy scores twice in a 4-0 thrashing of Plymouth.
    Spurs beat Chicago 2-0 (Kane, Holtby)
    City smashed Milan 5-1 although I would be surprised if any of the starting 11 play in GW1.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/fixtures-results/27-july-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

lineup v Inter

Man Utd starting XI: Lindegaard, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Young, Mata, Rooney, Welbeck. Luke Shaw not in squad

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

manual_man wrote: »
    lineup v Inter

Man Utd starting XI: Lindegaard, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Young, Mata, Rooney, Welbeck. Luke Shaw not in squad

turns out Shaw is on bench after all

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

km79 wrote: »
    turns out Shaw is on bench after all

He played a half. The one worry with Shaw now is that I've seen LVG mention that Young could play wing back in his system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Fabregas free kick today: https://vine.co/v/ME1zid1EDTd

Backline is Azpi, Ivan, Cahill, Luis

Fabregas free kick today: https://vine.co/v/ME1zid1EDTd

Backline is Azpi, Ivan, Cahill, Luis

FFS said he has been taking most of the corners and set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

have to say always thought fabregas was a better choice than hazard

have to say always thought fabregas was a better choice than hazard

I dunno tbh. Fabregas is playing alongside Matic so generally plays as a sitting mid, although that hasn't stopped Ramsey or Yaya in recent times.

Hazard has games where he can be unstoppable though. Watch him against Sunderland last year. Fantastic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lemlin wrote: »
    I dunno tbh. Fabregas is playing alongside Matic so generally plays as a sitting mid, although that hasn't stopped Ramsey or Yaya in recent times.

Hazard has games where he can be unstoppable though. Watch him against Sunderland last year. Fantastic performance.

Think he played at 10 tonight, Van Ginkel and Matic were the holding mids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

dahat wrote: »
    Think he played at 10 tonight, Van Ginkel and Matic were the holding mids.

I wonder would Jose be tempted to play Fabregas there and push Hazard to the wider role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

For me Hazard is not the player I thought he was going to be when Chelsea signed him, hes good but I think Sanchez ,Mata and Fabregas will outshine him this season, I don't think Silva will score as many as those 3 either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

FHFC wrote: »
    I wonder would Jose be tempted to play Fabregas there and push Hazard to the wider role?

What do u mean push Hazard to the wider role? That's where he plays?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    What do u mean push Hazard to the wider role? That's where he plays?

Thought he was middle of the three in front of Matic/Fab. I do tend to have the memory of a goldfish once a season is over..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Thought he was middle of the three in front of Matic/Fab. I do tend to have the memory of a goldfish once a season is over..... ;)
    oscar played centrally most of the time. It will be interesting to see what mourinho does when oscar, willian and hazard return.

oscar played centrally most of the time. It will be interesting to see what mourinho does when oscar, willian and hazard return.

That's what I get for looking at FPL line ups more than actual line ups. If Fabregas was in the forward three rather than the pivot he'd be an awesome FPL prospect, is what I was saying behind the stupidity.....

That's what I get for looking at FPL line ups more than actual line ups. If Fabregas was in the forward three rather than the pivot he'd be an awesome FPL prospect, is what I was saying behind the stupidity.....
    he would and Id probably switch from hazard to fabregas if so or even go with both.

fab and matic two central midfielders i think. that's why i'm going hazard over fab

liverpool going with both sturridge and lambert up top tonight for the friendly against City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

liverpool going with both sturridge and lambert up top tonight for the friendly against City.

I could be thinking too much into it but i'd imagine Rodgers is playing a formation he isn't too likely to deploy for real, considering Liverpool play City second week into the season i doubt he wants to give Pelligrini any benefit of sussing out his actual tactics ahead of their game.

• Advertisement

I could be thinking too much into it but i'd imagine Rodgers is playing a formation he isn't too likely to deploy for real, considering Liverpool play City second week into the season i doubt he wants to give Pelligrini any benefit of sussing out his actual tactics ahead of their game.
    ye true both teams are playing understrength teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

These are just friendly games, so wouldn't put to much faith in the line ups. Will be nice to see how the players perform - Dzeko, Jovetic and Sturridge playing - none of them in my team yet. We didn't see them for long during the World Cup so it might be interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Jovetic scores again and has been brilliant. He may become an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Liam Moore with a goal and only HT yet.

Routledge with 2, Austin and Junior Hoilett also among the goals so far. Hoilett playing in the 10 role could become an interesting option at 5.0...

Edit: Add a certain Lamela to that list of goalscorers too ;)

Eriksen bangs in a beauty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arsenal v Benfica on BT Sport 1 at the minute, about 20 minutes gone. Ramsey playing off Sanogo and quite unlucky not to have a goal and an assist already.

Rambo with a quality assist for Yaya

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

manual_man wrote: »
    Rambo with a quality assist for Yaya

hhhhmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Another goal apiece for Austin and Hoilett winning 4-0.

Swansea win 3-1 with Gomis also scoring. It seems like it was almost 4-4-2 with Bony and Gomis up front with Siggy on the right and routledge on the left, Siggy got an assist and I'd imagine it was a rather fluid front 4.

Spurs beat Celtic 6-1 with Lamela, Soldado, Eriksen and Ade all scoring.

Rosicky also starts for Arsenal as I alluded to in the watchlist could be set for plenty of games for the first few weeks of season.

Stoke drew 0-0 with Burton and Newcastle lost 3-1 to Malaga.

It's still way to early to draw many conclusions. Next weekends games will be more interesting when there's only a wee to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arsenal have been so good here. They're tearing Benfica apart, great to watch.

Advertisement